033

One More Day

It has just been hours when he received a call from his best friend, inviting him over to watch a dance competition he sponsored. He hesitated, knowing it's no time for entertainment. He has to find Joohyeon soon. It's all he has in his mind for days and weeks. All he wanted is to see her, hug her, kiss her. But he came anyways, after his best friend told him that he also needs to give himself a break or he might just break down before she even finds her. He didn't care if he falls sick looking for her, he knew he doesn't but his friend does have a point although that isn't what convinceed him. It was what his friend said next that shook him up. "You said she went somewhere far, right? You might just see her here." 

And that what brought him there, and it didn't fail him as the girl he had been looking for is standing before him, eyes wide like he remembers, still looking beautiful and bright as ever. He just stared at her as she stared back at him with surprise.

"Can we talk?" He breathe, not knowing he had been holding his breath for a while already. He still can't believe that he found her after so long. It's been weeks and he thought he was about to lose it but it all paid off, as he already saw the girl he had looking for. Longing for.

"J..Jae... How--"

"Excuse me," a woman said, trying to get past them since they were almost blocking the whole way to the restrooms. They dipped their head a little, apologizing as they stepped aside but his eyes never left her.

There was silence for a moment before Youngjae broke it, glancing a little over his shoulder then to her. "Joohyeon." The sound of his voice calling her made her heart skip and it kind of washed relief over her. For what reason, she really couldn't say. Maybe it was because she hadn't heard it in so long and she never imagined she would miss it that much. But maybe, it's because she thought it was already fading, and it almost scared her. "Are you alright?" He asked concernedly peering at her face. 

Her eyes widened a little, realizing she's been staring at him without moving or saying anything at all. "I'm okay," she replied, looking down as she clasped her hands together. She was at lost for words. She knows she had to get back to the table or else the boys will be worried but she can't just push the boy before her away, knowing he'd come so far just to see her. How, she didn't know. She glanced over his shoulder, trying to see if the boys already noticed she was gone but their table was blocked by a wall so she couldn't see. 

Youngjae noticed it and it hurt him a little. He was standing before her but she was looking else where and although it bothered him, he just decided to push it aside. He knew he doesn't have much time to even talk about those things and he didn't go find her just to argue about it. He took a deep breath as he looked away for the first time since he saw her. "I know they are waiting but can we talk? Just for a while," he said, staring back at her. "Please," he added, just to be sure she couldn't resist. And he was right when she nodded. 

"Give me a few minutes. Meet me at the corner," she said, smiling a little. Youngjae nodded, smiling back. He missed her smile so much that he could just stare at her for hours. She was about to walk past him when his hand closed in her wrist, stopping her. She glanced back and Youngjae smiled the smile that she knows so well. The smile she had fallen for. 

He shook his head. "Sorry. I...I just missed you. I'll be waiting," he said before letting her go. She felt her heart break hearing him say such thing but she forced on a small smile and nodded before walking away. Youngjae watched her walk away, having that urge of pulling her back, afraid that she wouldn't come back but he trusts her. He took a deep breath before turning back around and walked to the door of the restaurant and out, hoping he left with her instead.

 

Joohyeon returned to the table and just stood at the end of it, trying to think of an excuse to say as the boys looked up at her. She didn't want to lie but she didn't think it was really a good idea telling them either that Youngjae had found her. She doesn't intend to keep it from them for long but not now. She needs time to think it over before she tells it to them.

"Took you long enough," she heard a very familiar voice say. She looked at him and if she wasn't so nervous, she could have scoffed at him. But she doesn't even know if she could and it frustrates her. 

"What are you doing there still standing? Come and sit!" Jungkook said, patting the empty space beside him. She smiled.

"Uhm... We're celebrating right?" She said and the boys nodded, except for Taehyung smirked, about to say something when she glared at him, shutting him up. It actually amazes her sometimes whenever she could shut him up. It's not like he is afraid of her, definitely not, seeing the boy isn't that type either. It's more like he gives in to her intentionally and she doesn't know why it was like that. "Then there's one thing we are missing," she said, grinning. The boys looked around, wondering what she meant. She hated lying to them but she has no way on doing so than it.

"What?" Jimin asked, chewing on a piece of beef.

She forced on a smile. "You'll see. I'll be right back!" She said, slipping away before anybody could stop her. She could hear some of the boys calling after her but it died down soon probably when people started looking their way.

She looked back, just to check if one of the boys went after her when she got out but luckily, there's no one so she began to walk fast to where she said Youngjae to wait. She looked around, trying to spot the familiar boy over of the crowd when a hand clasped hers and pulled her, making her crash to a sturdy but warm chest. Warmth embraced her, protecting her against the cold that seeped through her clothes. 

She felt his heart beat racing fast like hers. After a second, she hugged him back, burying her head further in his chest. She realized then how much she missed him but felt guilty as well for things she knows she can't ever tell him. But now, it made it clear that it's still him. That her heart still reacts to him, and like inside the restaurant, she was relieved.

"I missed you," she heard him say.

She shook her head on his chest. "I missed you too," she said and she felt his arms tighten around her but she didn't budge and let him. She doesn't know how long it has been when he moved away but never letting her go. She could feel his eyes on her and when she looked up, she saw his lips lift to a smile.

"I really missed you," he said and she playfully roll her eyes.

"You've already said it twice," she said.

"I know but I'll never get tired of it because I really really missed you," he said, tapping on her nose. She scrunched up her nose and he chuckled. It turned quiet seconds later and they just stared at each other, savoring that moment.

Joohyeon could feel her heart hammering to her chest but realized something she didn't moments ago. It's not like before. It's different in a way but still, it's there. She believes and that was enough. But as she stared at her, images with another boy replayed in her mind and her heart swelled with guilt even if she hasn't completely done anything. She felt her skin tingle when he swept her hair to the side. Slowly, she saw him leaning and panic rose in her. She knows she had been missing his lips on hers for the first week she was away but now that she is about to kiss him, she doesn't know how to act at all.

Youngjae never took his eyes off of her and stopped just about her lips, as if asking for permission and after a second of thought she smiled a little and his lips connected with her. The kiss was desparate but gentle and passionate. She could feel all the emotions he had felt for the past weeks through it as he poured it all on that one kiss. She should respond to it, but she can't find the strength to do so. When he finally stopped, he looked at her in worry and when he reached up to wipe at her face, it was just then she realized she was crying.

"Joohyeon, babe, are you okay?" He asked worriedly as he cupped her face in his hands.

"I-I'm sorry," she said, choking on her words. "I just--" 

"Ssh... It's okay. Stop crying," he said, his words comforting her but it only made her cry more. "Hey, stop crying already. You know you look ugly when you cry," he said, teasing her and she slightly smacked him, making him chuckle. She broke to a smile after that as she wiped her tears away.

"It's your fault," she said.

"It's not my fault you cry easily but since I missed you so much, I'll let you win," he said, grinning from ear to ear. She scoffed playfully. He smiled at her softly, missing even that trait of her. "I read the letter," he said.

She doesn't look so surprised. "I know you would," she said, sniffing.

"When are you returning?" He asked, eyebrows furrowed and voice hopeful.

She hoped she knows when but she really doesn't. Nothing is certain. Although she knows it's near, she didn't say. Why, she really can't tell either. "I don't know," she said, shaking her head slowly. She hated to keep something from him but she also didn't want him to hope for something she herself isn't even sure about.

He smiled sadly, nodding. "I see."

As if realizing this is her chance to ask about her family, she looked at him, grabbing his arms. "How is Joonmyeon oppa? Dad? Mom? My other oppas?" She asked, eager but afraid to know. 

The smile on his face washed relief over her. "Hyung is doing better than before but I think he's still looking all over for you. Samchon and Imo doesn't know about it. They still think you are in America, we are in America. As for your other oppas, they miss you a lot," he said.

She nodded in understanding, a small smile on her lips. "I heard," she said. 

"You did?" He said, surprised.

"One of my friends who is with me," she saw the change in his expression and wondered if it was okay to continue until he nodded, "met Jongin oppa when they went back. He kind of relayed a message for me to them," she said. She saw his eyebrows crease and knew he was confused a little. "Some of them goes back on occasion since we all know that they can't disappear for too long," she said softly and Youngjae nodded. When he didn't say anything, she took the chance to ask him what she had been thinking about. "How did you find me? Does oppa..."

He shook his head with a soft smile. "I came here not knowing I'll be really seeing you but hoping I would. My best friend invited me to watch the dance competition and I saw you among the crowd. I really wanted to approach you already but stopped myself, seeing that you are...busy," he said, his lips.

She felt herself get small. "I'm sorry."

"Then will you come back?" He said, surprising her as she looked at him.

"Jae...you know..."

"I know. I've been trying to understand, Joohyeon. But I hope you could've just called at least once. We were all going insane wondering how you were. I am about to go insane looking around for you, Joohyeon," he said, his voice rising an octave and she winced, looking down on her clasped hands, biting her lip. She can't blame him because she knew he was right and it's her fault she had them worried. "I'm sorry. I didn't..."

"It's okay. I understand. I'm sorry. I don't know what else to say but that. I'm really sorry," she said softly. She could hear him breath in and when she looked up, she saw his eyes glassy with tears he tries to hold in and it hurt her to be the cause of it. "B--Babe..." It felt weird on , maybe because she wasn't really used on using it. It's seldom she calls Jae "babe" and it actually showed on his face when his eyes twitched.

"Did you just--"

Loud booming sounds cut him off and caught their attention as the night sky lit up. They're having fire display tonight, again, probably in light of the competition.

"Hey," he called, looking back at her but she avoided his eyes, feeling her cheeks turn warm. She didn't know why she called him that but it rolled off her tongue before she could even stop herself. "Did you just call me what I think you did?"

She shook her head vigorously. "No. I didn't say anything. Forget I said anything," she said. 

Jae grinned mischievously. "Hmm... You're appeasing me why calling me that, huh?" He said and her head snapped up to him.

"What? No!" She said although she knew it was partially true.

"Okay. If you say so, babe~" He sang, teasing her, making the atmosphere light again.

"Whatever." She stuck her tongue out and looked away. She heard him chuckle and it made her look at him and to his smiling face.

"I think we need to go. It's getting late," she heard him say and she divert her eyes back to him. She nodded, knowing she had stayed longer than she should. She felt his hand touch hers. "Joohyeon, I don't know completely those guys you are with but if you trust them, then I will," he said and she felt like breaking down. She doesn't feel like she deserved it at all. His trust. His love. She wasn't all that strong after all.

She nodded, tears on the verge of falling. "Thank you," she said.

Youngjae smiled. "I'll walk you back," he said, about to walk but she stopped him. 

"No, it's okay. I...lied to them that I was buying something," she said, biting her lip.

Youngjae looked at her for a while, seeing how the boys had grown in her. He could see that she'd grown a deep relationship with them. Until he was reminded that they really had a deep relationship before he even had. "Then until after you buy that something you are saying, I'll stay with you," he said. 

"But--"

"Can't I want to stay with you? I'll be leaving in an hour or so and I don't know when we will meet again. Can't you at least give me more time with you?" he said and seeing he was right and that she also wanted to make the most out of it, she finally gave in and nodded.

They walked to the bakery near by hand in hand but she remained cautious, knowing the boys could've gone out searching for since she was sure it's been so long since she left. She quickly bought a cake and then left the store.

"Unnie!" A little voice startled them both as they looked to their side, and there, she saw the little girl she had met more than a week ago with a boy who looked around their age.

"Hi Eunsoo," she said, a little surprised she still remembers, waving a little with a smile, the little girl beaming up at her.

"Jong up," she heard Youngjae say, making her look at him.

"You know him?" She asked. He nodded.

"He's the friend I'm telling you about," he said.

"Oh..." She said, slightly bowing her head. "Hi. I'm--"

"I already know. Kim Joohyeon, my best friend first ever girlfriend," the boy chuckled as her eyes widened and Youngjae playfully hit him on the shoulder.

"First girlfriend?" She asked, surprised.

"Yup. He didn't tell you?" Jong up said, eyebrows arching. "I almost thought he was gay and he was in love with me--" A glare from Youngjae shut him up to a sheepish smile. "So yeah. I thought you know," he said instead, grinning.

"He did but I thought..." She said, looking at Youngjae who was blushing.

"You never believed me," he said and she suddenly felt herself smiling.

"Who is he?" The little girl chimed again, turning all attention to her.

"He's oppa's best friend and this unnie's boyfriend, Youngjae," Jong up said. "Say hi," he said and the girl bowed, beaming once again.

"Annyeong haseyo. I'm Eunsoo," she said in that little cute voice of hers.

"Hi Eunsoo," Youngjae said with a bright smile. The girl smiled before tugging on Joohyeon's shirt.

"Where's the oppa with you before? And why is he your boyfriend?" She asked and Joohyeon found her eyes widening. She felt panic rise in her. She looked at Youngjae and his eyebrows were creased while Jong up was surprised.

"Oh. Him..." She was at lost for words. Jongup noticed how it suddenly turned sullen so he pulled Eunsoo and covered .

"I'm sorry. This kid talks randomly like that," he grinned. The little girl was trying to say something but it was muffled. "Keep quiet, Eunsoo," Jong up reprimanded before turning to them. "I think you guys should go," he said, slightly uneasy.

"I'll message you later," Youngjae said and Jongup just nodded before pulling the girl away who tried to get out from his grip. Joohyeon felt bad but really couldn't say anything as she knew she had some explaining to do. Once the two was away, she opened to say something but Youngjae cut her into it. "I think we need to hurry," he said.

"Youngjae..."

"It's okay. You don't need to say anything. I trust you," he said, smiling, making her heart break but she nodded and they continued walking.

When they were only a few stalls away, they stopped. "I'll go from here," she said and he nodded. She smiled, stepping away but Youngjae wouldn't let go of her. "Jae..."

"Can't you really go home?" He asked, eyes softening.

"I'll be home soon. I promise," she said, squeezing his hand before finally, Youngjae nodded and slowly let go of her and she gave him one more smile before turning around and walking away.

"I love you..." She heard even if it was soft and so far away but she didn't stop and turn around. Instead, she continued walking, feeling guilty more than ever.

 

Taehyung sat uneasy in their table while the other boys stare at the place Joohyeon stood not a few seconds ago. He knows that she was lying. He could tell it. "But why?" The question kept on buzzing in his head. 

"Do you think we should follow her?" Namjoon asked, looking out the window to the streets filled with all people.

"I'll go after her," Jungkook volunteered, about to stand up when another boy beat him to it.

"I'll go," he said, making all the boys look up at him.

"But--" Jungkook was cut when Seokjin gave him a pointed look.

"Okay. We'll wait here," Seokjin said and Taehyung nodded before walking away.

He doesn't know why he felt nervous but he is. Maybe because he knew she was lying. Maybe because he was worried. Or both. When he had stepped out the restaurant, he craned his neck, trying to look for her but to his luck, he didn't see her so he decided to walk the way he saw her go a while ago. He looked left and right, hoping to find that familiar figure. Even if he wanted to know why she lied, he just wanted her safe more than anything.

A sound familiar made him stop at a corner. His eyebrows creased as he peeked and he felt his breath hitching to his throat. He stepped back, leaning on the wall of the building. His fist clenched to a ball. He can't believe it. He didn't want to believe it. 

He felt his chest getting heavy as his breath comes. He tried to calm his nerves, telling himself that she would have her reasons but it didn't help at all as jealousy eat him up. All his hope were crashing that moment. He knows he should go but he stayed. He risked a glance and wanted to kill himself when he saw them kissing. To his credit, Joohyeon just stood still but it didn't made him feel any better. He leaned back and closed his eyes but the scene haunted him. It's not the first time he saw them kiss and the feeling is still the same, or even harder than before. He felt himself stiffen when he heard sobbing sounds.

"Joohyeon, babe, are you okay?" He cringe. Babe. He remembered how he was the one who used to call Joohyeon that and sometimes princess, even if she told him to stop calling her that, he knew she liked it. He knew he's feeling jealous but he's more worried hearing her cry. He wanted to be the one to hug her but it was impossible.

Minutes passed when he heard the boy raise his voice a little. He wanted to step out and push him off but he stopped himself knowing it wasn't a wise move. His heart broke when she heard him call him "babe." He hit the wall behind him with his fist, hoping to calm himself.

He stood there just listening even if inside, it's breaking him. He doesn't know how long it was until he heard the boy saying it was late. He scoffed. Good you know, he thought.

"I'll walk you back." His jaw tightened. The nerve...

"No, it's okay. I...lied to them that I'll buy something." He heard her say and he didn't fail to notice how she said it. He knew she was sorry and it was enough reason for him not to get mad, if he could even get mad.

"Then until after you buy that something you are saying, I'll stay with you." Taehyung just wanted to get out of his hiding spot and tell him to back off but he didn't, knowing it's not a good move. Eavesdropping was already enough. In addition, he's her boyfriend so he would never be in place to tell him to back off.

"But--"

"Can't I want to stay with you? I'll be leaving in an hour or so and I don't know when we will meet again. Can't you at least give me more time with you?" He felt like laughing at it. He is like him everytime, even if he is already living with her, he is still begging for her time. When he was sure that they are about to go, he walked to the nearest store and hid inside. He watched them and when they walked past him at a good distance, he followed them again.

He took a deep breath at their intertwined hands but he knew he couldn't do anything. He watched them, more on Joohyeon, and saw how happy she looked, laughing and smiling at whatever the boy was saying and he felt himself softening. No matter what, as long as she's happy, he is, and if that boy is making her happy, then who is he to stop her? He sighed. Is it game over?

A small smile came to his lips when he saw them walking inside a bakery. Of course, a cake. He waited for them and then followed them after. When they suddenly stopped, he quickly hid behind a stall, the owner giving him an odd look and he just grinned. He saw the little girl who they met before and it looks like the boy with her is someone Youngjae knows. He tried to listen in and he gawked when he heard that Joohyeon was the first girlfriend of that boy. He suddenly felt smug because he isn't Joohyeon's first. It was him and she was his. 

"Where is the oppa with you before?" His eyes widened when she heard the girl say that. He looked at the face of Joohyeon but he could only see the side of her face and many people were passing by making it hard. He also got a glimpse of the boy's face and he looked surprised and hurt, if he read it right. He should feel happy, but somehow, he can't, knowing it could lead to them having misunderstanding and Joohyeon being hurt. 

The boy with the little girl spoke up, trying to lessen the tension. They left a minute later, leaving the two. Joohyeon faced Youngjae then making him see her face completely. He could see the worry in her face and he knew she was trying to tell him about what the little girl, Eunsoo, was saying but Youngjae stopped her.

"It's okay. You don't need to say anything. I trust you."

The word stabbed him in the heart. It was something he wasn't able to give Joohyeon, something that hurt her, something that broke them apart. But he was able to give it to her unlike him. No wonder she fell in love with him, he thought even if it hurt him. He snapped back to reality when the owner of the stall suddenly asked if he was okay and he nodded before bowing and walking away, seeing that the two had left and not in sight anymore. He didn't try looking for them anymore, for he knows that she's on her way back to the restaurant.

He walked slowly, mulling over the words he heard Youngjae say. I trust you. And as if everything wasn't enough, he remembered that moment when he didn't trust her, broke her, and almost drove her to her death. 

 

"Tae, listen to me." They were walking along the corridor, students watching them. The hall was filled because the last bell had just rung making everyone witness the rare fights of the popular 'couple' in their academy. They never heed to any of their questions so nobody really knew the realy state of their relationship other than their best friends.

"Kim Taehyung!" She called but he didn't stop, anger and jealousy eating him up. 

"Taehyung... please." When he heard it, he wasn't able to take it anymore so he stopped in his tracks. They were already at the back of the school where rarely anyone goes so it was already a good time to stop the chase. A touch at his arm made him stiffen and melt at the same time. He was about to crumble down, to just let it go, but he can't. His pride can't. His jealousy can't. "Tae..."

"I already told you," he said, finally breaking his silence. He spun around, facing her and he stopped, seeing tears in her eyes. He wanted to reach out and wipe it away but he knew that things can't be resolved if he would always just give in to her. "I told you to stay away from him. You know he likes you!" He said, voice rising that he saw her flinch.

"You know I can't just do that! He's my classmate and a friend!" She said, angry tears on her eyes.

"But he's a guy! Aren't the boys enough? Ain't I enough?" Taehyung said, his voice cracking.

"You know it's not like that. I didn't have a choice, you know that. It was paired by Ms. Shim," Joohyeon said, trying to make him understand but to a jealous person's ears, it didn't matter but she hoped that with Taehyung, it'll be different.

"But you could've asked to change partners. You had a choice, Hyeon. Don't tell me you're starting to like him?" he said, a bitter and dirty smirk on his lips.

Joohyeon bit her lower lip so hard it could bleed. "You know what, we can't talk when you're like this. Let's talk when you've cleared your head," she said, spinning around and walking away until she just started sprinting away.

Taehyung wanted to follow her, especially when he saw the tears in her eyes but he didn't. And he completely paid for it the very next day and the following days that came.

 

If only he placed his pride aside, if only he listened, if only he followed her, like he did just now, if he just trusted her, he might've not lost her. He felt hot tears coming to his eyes and he blinked it away. 

"You can't be like this right now, Taehyung. Get yourself together," he told himself, rubbing his eyes. He took a deep breath when he reached the restaurant. He entered and saw that Joohyeon just got there. They all looked at him when he came.

"Oh, he's here," Hoseok said. Joohyeon looked around, surprise in her eyes. He stared at her long enough to know that she already knew that he went after her a while ago. He walked to his place on the floor and sat down.

"Did something happen?" Jungkook asked as he noticed something off with the two. Taehyung looked up to Jungkook and shrugged.

"I lost her," he said before looking at Joohyeon who had just sat back down on her place. "You were fast." He smirked, trying to hide the pain in his heart.

"You think?" She said, uneasily smiling. He just smirked at her again, shrugging. The other boys watched them, trying to see through them but couldn't figure out what really happened.

Someone clearing his throat got their attention and Yoongi grinned. "Shall we cut the cake?"

 

It was already past midnight when they got back to the house. Everybody was tired as they greeted each other good night before heading off to their rooms. Joohyeon stayed back, watching them all disperse to their rooms but she felt her eyes lingering on the back of a particular boy and before she knew it, she had called him.

Taehyung wasn't surprised when he heard her call him. He spun around and raised an eyebrow.

"Yes, princess?" He said, making her squirm.

"I...uh...Did you really follow me a while ago?" She asked. He could see the uneasiness in her gaze and even if he wanted to tell her he did and even saw and heard everything, he couldn't. He wanted it to come from her.

"I did but I didn't see you. Why?" He asked.

"Oh... Nothing," she said, forcing on a smile. "I'm sorry for holding you back. Congratulations again... Uhm... Good night," she said, walking to her room.

Taehyung watched her from his door. He could've told her he did saw and heard almost everything, seeing that they were alone and the boys were too tired to eavesdrop but he had decided even before he entered the restaurant that he'll keep it a secret. 

At least until he could bear it. All that had happened that day was too much to take in. He thought they were already doing fine but then it happened and he doesn't know how to completely act. They still tease and bicker but it was obvious that they're relationship got better. He didn't want what happened to get in the way of making her fall in love with him all over again. 

"This isn't a reason for me to give up, right, Hyeon?"

He bit his lower lip, glancing once more to her door before whispering a soft good night and turning to his room.


A/N:

Hi my dear readers! How are you all doing? ^^ I'm back with another chapter. I hope it wasn't boring. I edited it as much as I can to make it...nice of some sort. 

What do you think of this chapter? :))

Thank you for all the support! I really appreciate it! I can't believe I went past 100 subscribers! I know it isn't much compared to others but it already means a lot to me. ^^ To those who leaves a comment anytime they have, thank you a lot! You boost me up to update! And to everyone of you, thank you! I wouldn't be able to go on this far without you guys! Love you!