05

One More Day

"Joohyeon ah!" Minzy beamed once she got sight of her best friend entering the deck of the restaurant. She hugged her and she returned it tightly. "Long time no see!" She said and Joohyeon nodded with a wide smile. "I missed you, Min." She grinned and Minzy cooed. "Let's go settle down first, and oh, you brought company?" She smirked, eyeing Jae who stood behind Joohyeon and he snickered.

"Shut up," he muttered and Joohyeon just shrugged with a smile. She leaned in and whispered, "I think he's having his moodswings again." Minzy chuckled at this while Jae raised an eyebrow at them. "What did you say?" He asked and she just innocently smiled.

"Oh c'mon. Let's go order now!" Joohyeon said as they all sat down. Minzy peeked over the menu to Jae who shared the same menu as Joohyeon. Feeling it, he looked up and Minzy grinned, slanting a glance at Joohyeon who was just focused on picking food. Jae gave her a warning glare and she smirked, looking back to her menu.

Once they were done ordering, they had to wait for a minutes so like usual they engaged into a conversation.

"So how's it been so far?" Joohyeon asked clasping her hands on the table.

"It's really hard, like really. Ugh." Minzy groaned. "Our professors are even terrors. I just... Damn. How unlucky can I just be?" She sighed and Joohyeon chuckled.

"I know you'll be able to adjust. Not like it was our first time. For sure you'll be able to get by, like before." She smiled and Minzy returned it with a greatful smile.

"Well, I hope so. How about you? Is this guy still a jerk to you?" She said and Jae gritted his teeth.

"I'm not a jerk," he said crossing his arms over his chest. "You're just jealous I get to spend more time with this brat than you." He smirked and the two girls rolled their eyes at him.

"Fyi Jae. We might not see each other but we often talk to each other, like, more than you talk for a day!" Minzy said and he sneered. "Whatever, Min."

"Going back, so how's your course so far?" Minzy asked, turning her attention back to Joohyeon, making Jae roll his eyes i.

"I guess it's good so far. Although it's quite a hassle but I'm surviving, nonetheless." She smiled and Minzy sighed. "Of course you could. More than any of us three, I'm sure enough you'll be able to graduate first."

"Hey, don't include me there! I'm graduating on time, okay?" Jae said and Minzy just snickered at him. Joohyeon chuckled at how the two just can't stop bickering.

"Well, he's right. He's going to graduate on time because we'll all graduate on time. Like we promised, right?" She said with a hopeful smile and Minzy can't help but feel touched as well as Jae who pretended to not care and just look away but with a small smile. 

Soon, their food arrived and they started eating. It had been quite a while now since they were able to eat out like that because being in the university is just no joke. You have to do lots of works and pass it on time. You are lucky if you have a very nice professor who would give extensions but that's so rare don't even count on it.

"So, any boyfriend yet?" Joohyeon said, raising a suggestive eyebrow. Minzy seemed to blush at that and Joohyeon dropped her spoon to point at her cheeks. "Omoya! You have?" 

"Well... Not really. But I like someone." She grinned and Joohyeon made an 'o'. 

"I see. I would want to see that person someday." She winked and Minzy shrugged with a small smile.

"How about you? Any boyfriend yet? Suitor?" She asked, with a hint of teasing in her voice. Joohyeon waved her off, shaking her head. 

"Nope. Not one in sight." She shrugged and Minzy frowned. 

"Why not! You have a lot of suitors before... Well... If Jae was not around, most probably, they would've pursued you. You drove them away, didn't you?" Minzy narrowed her eyebrows at him, pointing her fork at him. 

"What? No way! I would rather want her to have a boyfriend so she would have someone to accompany her already!" Jae said without thinking and the table suddenly turned quiet, and Jae felt like hitting his face on the wall while Minzy glared at him, wanting to stranggle him right then.

"Really? I would get one if you say so," Joohyeon said with a grin after that short silence. Jae gulped nervously before shrugging and turning to his food. "Whatever floats your boat," he mumbled and returned to eating.

A few minutes later, Joohyeon excused herself to go to the washroom and Minzy took that chance to talk to Jae.

"What on earth did you just say?! Are you stupid or dumb or both?!" She almost screamed and Jae's face contorted.

"Can you not make me feel guiltier than I already am? Geez." Jae groaned, palming his face.

"But you should feel guilty! Don't you know that would hurt her?! Whether or not she likes you, she would get hurt because she's your friend!" She said, invisible steam going out of her ears. Jae just kept quiet, feeling so stupid. After a few seconds of silence, Minzy leaned on her chair, crossing her arms over her chest. "What are you planning to do now after you just blew?" 

Jae dropped his utensils and leaned on his chair, looking on his plate. He himself have been in deep thought and no matter how much he thinks of it, he just couldn't rack anything possible to do. Not that he totally knows nothing. More like, he was scared it won't work. He tried to play dumb and said, "What are you saying?" He looked up at her and she rolled her eyes.

"You know what I am saying. Are you going to deny it again to me? That you like her? Oh, by now, you might even lo---" Jae reached over the table and covered .

"Shut your mouth please!" Jae said with a glare. Minzy smirked before pushing his hand away.

"Unless you tell me what." She shrugged with a smug look. Jae inwardly groaned.

"Ok fine. You win. I like her. What now?" Jae said and Minzy can't help but beam. 

"Ohmygosh! I knew it from the very start! It took you that long to realize? Gosh." She shook her head and Jae sighed.

"Are you just going to tease me or what?" Jae said and she chuckled.

"Why? Do you need help?" She grinned and Jae thought of it. Did he really need help? Well, it wasn't that he doesn't know anything but he was just hesitating. After a little thought, he shook his head. 

"No. I'll do it," he said.

"What will you do?" His heart almost jumped out of his chest once he heard her voice while Minzy tried to surpress her laughter. Joohyeon pulled her chair back and sat down. She looked at the two. "Did I miss something?" She asked and Minzy mumbled, "Oh sure you did," and Jae kicked her under the table which she was able to move away from. 

"We were just talking about who would drive you home, you know, right Jae?" Minzy grinned and Jae glared at her. Joohyeon was a little surprised. "You said that?" She said and Jae raised an eyebrow at her.

"Do you think I'm that bad?" Jae said trying to just ride along and Minzy silently laughed.

"Well... A little?" Joohyeon teased and Jae stared blankly at her and she giggled and all the butterflies inside him started fluttering around making him look away.

"Whatever." He shrugged them off and continued eating.

They continued eating and talking about random things until it was already eight in the evening and they were so full to eat anything already. They paid for their food and left the place, walking around the city. Jae just came along with them, looking around the place. We could say that he was used to it since they've been together for so many years, and even if he complains over and over, he still stuck with them because he might not admit it, he likes their company better than his other friends who loves going to clubs and parties.

They entered a store and looked around. It was a store that sells almost anything from toys for kids to jewelries for adults. Joohyeon found a huge rilakkuma stuff toy and squished its face, and she chuckled a little. Jae was watching her and he couldn't help but smile. He doesn't know when Joohyeon's smile had this effect on him when before he would do anything just to annoy her making her pout or frown. Whatever it is, he doesn't want to think of it now. 

"Ehem..." His smile dropped and Minzy smirked. "Isn't she beautiful?" Minzy sang and Jae smirked. "Yeah, she is." And Minzy felt like throwing a party right then. She put her hand over to surpress her squeal. "OHMYGOSH JAE! THIS CALLS FOR A PARTY!" He rolled his eyes, his cheeks turning pink.

"What party?" Joohyeon said, approaching them. Jae glared at Minzy before looking somewhere else.

"Oh, it was nothing. By the way, did you check out the jewelries? I found some pretty!" Minzy said, linking her arms to hers and dragging her along. Jae sighed out loud. His eyes landed at the huge rilakkuma and a knowing smile appeared on his lips before he turned to walk away.

After like fifteen minutes in the store, they walked out, Joohyeon and Minzy sporting the same bracelet they just bought. It was just a simple silver bracelet with their initials on but for some reason they were so happy about it. After half an hour of walking and looking around, they had finally decided to go home.

 

 

The seven guys rode their bikes around the Han Gang park that night. It was one of their leisure time when they feel so tired of school and university stuff and just a way for them to bond besides for basketball. 

"Guys, is anyone's birthday coming up? Just... I feel like..." Hoseok scratched his head thinking as they stopped to rest at the stall. Seokjin nudged him, shaking his head when Taehyung smiled and nodded.

"Yup. It's almost her birthday," he said and it suddenly turned quiet.

"Sorry..." Hoseok whispered, feeling stupid. Taehyung softly laughed.

"Sorry for what? Guys, c'mon. Are you going to be like this everytime she comes up in our conversation?" Taehyung said and the six guys stared at him. He sighed. "If you're worrying about me, don't. I'm fine. I've already thought about it and I think... after three years, it's just...time to let go. I mean, not that I would forget her totally because that is just impossible but I'm already moving on." No one said a word as Taehyung said those, as if they were doubting their friend. It was like for them, 'move on' was just not in Taehyung's vocabulary when it comes with Joohyeon.

After a couple of seconds of silence, Jimin crushed his cup and threw it away. "Well, just remember you always have our back," he said with a shrug and the others nodded. He smiled. "I hate drama so can we just move on to another topic?" Taehyung shrugged and the guys laughed at him before Yoongi got on his bike. "The last one to get to the end of the park would treat everyone!" This alerted everyone as they hurried to their bikes after throwing their waste away.

 

 

Time flew by fast and before they knew it, it was only a few weeks before her birthday. Winter break was also slowly coming closer and everyone was actually excited to get a break from all the stress called university works. 

"Party? You are actually throwing a party?" Jae asked as if it was the most unbelievable thing. They were in Jae's house, in his room, with all the books scattered on the table in front of them. It was already the finals week and then another week for completion then after that would be vacation, and her birthday. Joohyeon sighed, nodding as she dropped her pen.

"It's not like I asked for it. It was my parents who wanted it most. Plus, it's not really on my birthday since we still have one week in university after this week. Right when Christmas break starts." She shrugged and Jae jut his lower lip, nodding. 

"Well, knowing aunt and uncle." He grabbed a cookie and munched on it. "Where's it gonna be held?" He asked.

"Where?" She said and Jae raised his eyebrow.

"No, when. I just said it!" Jae said and she glared at him.

"I don't know, okay." She grumpily said, slumping on the floor.

"What? You don't know? How come when it's supposed to be your birthday?" Jae said, pointing out the fact and she groaned.

"Don't ask me because I also don't know. Whatever my parents are planning, I just hope it wouldn't be embarrassing for me," she said and Jae smirked.

"I hope it is," Jae said and Joohyeon smacked him on the arm, and he just laughed it off.

"Shut up, and just study. These subjects are just frustrating, you know?" She groaned, focusing on the books and papers in front of them.

"It's not that hard." He shrugged and she rolled her eyes. "It's because you are good at it. Whatever. Go study." She resumed studying and Jae smirked, watching her.

He looked up to the desk calendar he had and found it was just only a little over one week before her birthday and he secretly smiled before going back to study.

 

 

The quiet ambience of the cafe was disturbed when Minzy suddenly shrieked. "You will what?!" The people around them turned to their direction while Jae embarrassingly closed his eyes.

"Gosh Min. Can you keep your voice low?" He said and Minzy pursed her lips, trying to stop from squealing. "And yes, I'll already ask her out. On her birthday. I'm telling you this just so you know." He shrugged and Minzy smiled so widely.

"I'm giving you guys my blessings!" She exclaimed and he rolled his eyes with a smirk.

"I know---"

"But! When I hear that you make her cry," she made a slicing action on her neck and and he actually winced, "...you'll be dead meat." 

"Don't you trust me?" Jae said and she shook her head.

"Nope, as much as I like you for Hyeon. I mean, I've knew you guys since high school days. If I'll be choosing any guy for my best friend, then I would choose someone I knew best." She shrugged and Jae blew a raspberry.

"Okay ma'am. But don't tell it to Joohyeon okay? I don't even think she likes me back..." He scratched his  neck and she snorted.

"It's because you kept on teasing her and annoying her. Try to be a gentleman and you'll see," Minzy said, before sipping on her coffee. He thought back to the days he acted like a gentleman to her and he actually did but not without a snarky remark but he has his reasons they might not understand.

"I am, okay? Just not that gentlemanly." He reasoned out and she sneered.

"Try more. You still have a little more than a week." Minzy nodded and Jae sighed, looking out.

"How am I supposed to do that?" He thought out loud and Minzy smirked, shrugging.

"You did not want help right?"

 

 

That found him that morning of the first day of exams in front of her house. He rang the doorbell, his heart pounding hard against his chest when he heard someone running towards the door, shouting, "I'll get it!" Once she had opened the door, she was surprised to see Jae standing in his orange sweater over a buttondown shirt and pair of fitted jeans. She can't deny that he looked really good in it. 

"Oh hey. Good morning?" She said, unsure of what to say. Jae's hand was sweating out, not really knowing what to say either. He stared at her. Her hair was still not brushed properly but for him, she already looked beautiful. She was only swearing a simple t-shirt and skinny jeans but he knew well that she'd look good in anything.

"Uhm... I'll drive us to uni today," Jae said and she cocked her eyebrow. "But isn't your exam starting 'til later?" She said and Jae nodded, his heart palpitating. There was a moment of silence and Jae felt like shrinking down with Joohyeon's stare. He sighed. "If you don't want..."

"No. It's okay. C'mon in first." She opened the door for him to get in. Jae awkwardly stepped in as if he was someone new in the place. She locked the gate before following him. She went in the house first and said, "Oppa, Jae's here!"

"Jae?" Joonmyeon peeked out from the dining area and was surprised. He bowed a little in respect with a small smile. "Morning, hyung."

"Oh, Jae. You're early today. Are you going to drive my sister to uni?" He asked and Jae nodded.

"I'll just be right back, okay? I'll go get my things," she said before she run up the stairs.

"Hey! Don't run!" Joonmyeon reminded, shaking his head. "Aigoo, that girl as always." Jae softly chuckled and when Joonmyeon looked at him he pursed his lips, making Joonmyeon softly smile. He looked up to the stairs before pulling Jae outside for a talk.

Joohyeon on the other hand walked in her room and grabbed her bag. She checked her bag if she had brought everything and smiled upon assuring all of her things was inside. She slung her bag to her shoulders when she saw the picture frames on top of her desk. She walked over and grabbed the one with her and Jae and Minzy. Minzy and Jae was standing at either side of her and while both of them girls was smiling brightly, Jae made a 'v' sign on top of her head with a smirk.

A soft smile reached her lips before she placed back the frame on the table and walking out her room. When she reached the bottom of the stairs, she looked out to where she had left Jae with her brother but didn't find them there. "Oppa? Jae?" She called out. 

Right then, Jae and Joonmyeon came back, with Joonmyeon patting him on the shoulder. "Ja... Drive to uni safely okay? Jae, take care of my sister, got it?" Joonmyeon said and Jae smiled nodding. Joohyeon looked at them skeptically but didn't say anything until they were out.

Jae opened up the door to her side, surprising her as Jae wouldn't usually bother to open the door for her. She just didn't ask anything and went in. Jae went in later on, starting the engines immediately. Before Jae started to drive off, he looked over to her and found her staring back at him. He diverted his look awkwardly checking if she had already buckled up her seatbelt. He sighed when she hadn't. Awkwardly, he reached over and grabbed the seatbelt, buckling it.

Joohyeon held her breath then, having Jae close made her heart beat crazily. She felt her cheeks heating up and she looked away. "You always forget to buckle up. Aigoo," Jae said as he drove off.

"Ah right. Thanks," Jae said awkwardly.

The ride was normal. Joohyeon tried to spark up a conversation trying to check if it was still Jae she was with, and when he sarcastically replied to her, she knew it was Jae and she can't help but smile. Jae noticed it as he looked at the rear mirror before going back to look at the road.

"What are you smiling at?" He asked.

"Huh?" She turned to look at him. "Nothing." And she smiled again sending him that tingles he hoped wouldn't be obvious.

 

 

But she felt it again, that weird feeling as Jae acted differently again. Like for example, that morning, he had sent her directly to her room, making some of her classmates look and . It didn't bother her, for some reason and she just laughed it off. Right after her morning exam came break. She walked out the classroom with one of her friends, thinking of grabbing some drinks and studying. When they got out of the building, her friend nudged her and she looked up to her and her friend pointed some place and she followed, getting shocked to see Jae standing by the side.

"Looks like someone is waiting for you. Catch you later." She winked and before she could stop her, she already joined some of their classmates who had just come out. She approached him and right before she could tap him, Jae turned and was startled to see her.

"Ah hey. You're done?" He asked and she softly chuckled.

"No. That's why I'm out." She sarcastically said and Jae raised an eyebrow at her.

"Forget it." Jae turned around and she shot her hand out and grabbed his arm, making him jerk. 

"I'm just joking," she said and Jae cleared his throat, eyeing the her hand on his arm and she retracted it. "By the way, what are you doing here? Aren't your exams in an hour?"

"Yeah. But there's still an hour to spare. Uhm... Here, I got it just a few minutes ago." Jae handed over the Starbucks strawberry frappe. 

"Oh Strawberry! Thanks!" She beamed, quickly sipping on it and Jae tried to hide the smile that was about to draw on his lips. "Oh, you want?" She said, pushing the drink to him and Jae hesitated but when Joohyeon pushed the straw to his lips, and say, "I know you want it," he wasn't able to stop himself and drink. "Since you're here, as a thank you gift, I'm gonna review you!" She said before walking to a nearby gazeebo.

For the rest of the week, she couldn't help but notice the new things Jae had been doing, and she must say, he had been gentlemanly lately it felt odd. Opening the door for her, sending her to her room, waiting for her after exams, buying her drinks and all the things a gentleman would have done. And Jae is anyone but a gentleman.

Well, he was nice even if he was sometimes arrogant or moody but just, "It's a different Jae!" She said as she talked with Minzy that night after the week long exams.

"Well, isn't that better? A gentleman Jae?" Minzy said, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Uhm... It's okay, I guess but it's just weird. I got used to quite different Jae, you get me, right?" She said and Minzy laughed.

"C'mon bestie. Don't work yourself up with it. If anything, don't you think Jae is starting to you know...courting you?" She said although teasing was a fact.

She felt her heart jump at that prospect but she tried to just wave it away because she find it too impossible. "Of course not. We're just friends. I mean, with all the teases Jae had called me, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't like me that way." 

"But you do?" This made her stomach flip. The line turned quiet for a moment before she said in an obviously unsure voice, "No, of course not. If Jae hears our conversation, he might just go ewww." Minzy laughed when suddenly they heard something hitting the ground.

"What was that?" Joohyeon asked. "What... Oh. Sorry, that was me. You know, clumsy me." Minzy said with a soft chuckle. "Ah. I need to go. Look at the time." She yawned. "I'll see you soon, okay? Good night best!" She said.

"Okay. Thank you for your time. And yes, we'll see each other soon. Good night!" Joohyeon ended the call and Minzy stayed a little.

"YAH! ARE YOU SERIOUSLY TRYING TO BE CLUMSY AT TIMES LIKE THIS?!"

"SORRY OKAY!"

And looks like that wasn't just an 'if' but he really did.


A/N:

HEYYYYYY

WHAT'S UP GUISE?!?!?!

Sorry for quite a long time of waiting. I've been trying to type this up and even thinking of retyping it because I find it lacking. TT TT

I'll try to update soon. I'm actually excited for the upcoming chapters. Kekeke.

Til the next chapter :)