021

One More Day

"Get ready. We're leaving in five."

It was the day. As they had talked, they were leaving as soon as New Year's Eve ends. She had already packed her things. Two lunggage and two handheld bags. Instead of a sling bag, she had used a backpack that could fit a few more things. 

"Neh," she replied. She took another look around her room. It has never been long since she came back and started using it again but she felt so much attached to it. Her eyes continued scanning her room, trying to imprint every area in her mind until her eyes landed under her bed. 

"The box..." A gasp escaped her lips. She took a cautious look at the door before kneeling down and sliding out the box from under the bed. She had totally forgotten it because of so many things running through her head and to everything that had been happening.

She opened it and rummaged through it. She wasn't able to look into it when she first got it and she felt stupid for forgetting something that could help her. Quickly, she looked through it until she heard a knock on her door, making her heart beat fast.

"Joohyeon?" It was Jae.

"Ah... Yes, I'll be out in a sec." Upon saying that, she just grabbed a random small box and closed the box and pushed it under her bed just in time when the door knob twisted and her door opened. A head peeked in and she hastely hid the box behind her back. 

Jae gave her a queer look, his eyes dropping to her arm. 

"Are we leaving?" She said to distract him and he diverted his eyes to look up to her.

"Ah, yes. Are you ready?" He asked with a small smile and she returned the same with a nod.

"Yup, I'll be out," she replied and Jae hesitated for a little, a question wanted to be asked but he kept it in and instead smiled and nodded before backing out the room and closing it.

Once she was sure that the door was closed, she heaved out a sigh before walking over to her back pack and stuffing the small box inside. She closed it and slung her bag over one shoulder then the other before taking one more sweep around her room. She smiled a little, "I'll miss this place," she breathed. Before she gets called at by Jae or her brother, she grabbed her handheld and one roller and opened the door. There, Jae stood and she grinned slyly and Jae caught what it meant immediately and he softly chuckled.

"Alright."

He walked back in and grabbed her last luggage. As soon as Jae was out, the door closed behind him, the room being swallowed by complete darkness. Jae noticed the sad expression on his girlfriend's face and he quickly let go of the luggage he had in hand and took her face to his hands. It made Joohyeon look at him.

He smiled. "I know you're going to miss this place but you know why we had to leave right?" He said and Joohyeon sighed, slightly nodding.

"I know... I just..." She didn't exactly know how to tell him and she felt guilty. Afterall, he is her boyfriend and her best friend. But she had her reasons and she just hopes he would understand her.

"I promise you. We'll comeback here during summer break. Call?" He smiled and it made her heart crack. If only he knows... But she smiled and nodded. Jae quickly pecked her lips before letting her face go and she checked her heart's reaction to it. It still skipped a beat and she felt relieved by it. She doesn't know why she had been doing that but she unconsciously did until she noticed and since then, she had been doing that. If she will put a specific date to it, it'll be hard but she was so sure it was after the slipping incident during the night at the playground.

They exchanged another smile before they headed down to the first floor. A house helper got the luggage from them and placed it in the car. Joonmyeon and her parents were there, talking seriously. She need not to hear them to know what they were talking about. Of course it's about me if not business... When her brother and parents noticed them, they quickly stopped, as if caught redhanded and she wondered if they were talking more than what she thought. 

"You took long," Joonmyeon voiced out with a small smile and Joohyeon grinned, a facade to keep them from worry.

"Sorry. You know me and my forgetfulness. I had to check my things again to see if I didn't leave anything," Joohyeon half-lied. She did check her things briefly and really did forget something. Joonmyeon shook his head with a side-lopped smile.

"Joohyeon my dear," her mother called and she immediately walked towards her mom and exchanged a very tight hug. Joohyeon knew she needed it. "Take care there, okay? Don't forget to take your medicines. If you need anything, just tell your brother or call us."

"Yes mom. You don't need to worry about me. I'll be alright. Trust me." Her eyes were closed as she said these, trying to push the tears back and the guilt she felt for keeping things from her mom. 

"Of course I trust you. I'm your mother so it's natural for me to worry," she said, her eyes teary. They broke apart and her mom dabbed a tissue to the corner of her eyes and Joohyeon stifled a laugh, earning her a soft smack on her shoulder, although she know she might cause more tears for her mom. But she had to be firm. Everything's set. Next she turned to her father and did the same.

"You should follow your brother, araso? Don't be too stubborn, understand? Take care and listen very well to your brother," he turned to Jae, "and to Jae too." Jae gave a small smile while Joohyeon playfully put on a sour face.

"Dad, I'm more mature than those two!" She joked although at some times it is true.

"Hey! That's not true. You're the most childish of us, miss," Jae said jokingly and Joohyeon stuck her tongue out on him making him chuckle.

"Alright. That's enough. You kids should get going," Mr. Kim said in a firm tone he usually have.

There was a few more exchange of reminders and farewells before the three headed out the house, where the car waited. Joohyeon looked back once more to her parents and smiled, waving.

"I love you mom, dad," she said and her parents smiled, nodding.

"We love you too," her parents chorused. 

The door to the car was opened and they piled in with Joonmyeon entering last.

"Joonmyeon, take care of your sister. If something comes up, don't hesitate to call us." Their parents reminded.

"Neh, abeoji, eommonim." With a last bow, he entered the car last.

The car sped out the residence almost as soon as the door was shut close. Joohyeon waved through the back window as the car drove away. She took a glance at their house for the last time after maybe a long time, a tear slipping out the side of her eye and she quickly wiped it away. She felt a hand hold her right, and she looked to her right to see Jae smiling sweetly and reassuringly at her. She forced out a small smile that would hopefully convince him that she was okay.

Although inside, her heart was breaking as she stared at his eyes. She tore her eyes away and decided to just lean on him and close her eyes. Sleep visited her late that night, making her lack some sleep. She woke up early too to pack her things so it was a hassle. She had visited the playground across their house that night and came back rather late. She just couldn't sleep, especially because of the mixed feeling she'd been having about leaving. Before she knew it, she had fallen asleep on the shoulder of the guy she had relied onto for so many years until then.

 

 

She woke up with a soft shake on her shoulder. They arrived at the airport one and a half-hour early to check-in and everything. It was already deep in the night but the airport was bustling with people of different genders, ages, and nationalities. She had her backpack worn while her other luggages were placed in a cart and sent for checking. They went to the counter for their visas and other necessaries to be checked and when everything was set, they decided to get some snacks before the flight. Like how they do in America, they dined in a cafe since it was freezing.

Joohyeon tried to act as normal as she could. She answered casually when asked what she wanted. She sat with her brother and boyfriend and conversed with them naturally after they had ordered. But she couldn't completely hide the nervousness she felt. Her heart was throbbing hard in her chest as she held her phone with her left hand. When it vibrated, she casually read it as to not be suspicious and after quickly replying a 'thank you' she tucked it in her pocket.

The two other boys weren't oblivious though. They had spent so many years with Joohyeon, especially Joonmyeon who practically lived by his sister's side almost althroughout his life, except when he had to fly overseas for some business matters. Joonmyeon knew something was going on. He could see how his sister kept on her lips now and then and biting it down. He knew she didn't want to leave, and if he just had any other choice, he would've but then staying would be crucial. It'll be too risky for Joohyeon, and beyond anything, he cares for his sister's not perfectly fine condition, although she always say otherwise. When he couldn't stand his curiousness and worry, he decided to ask.

"Are you okay?"

"H-Huh?" Joohyeon looked up to her brother. "Ah... Ye. Why?" She replied. Joonmyeon took a careful look at her, not very convinced.

"Are you really sure? You look..." Joonmyeon tried to find the best word. "...uneasy."

"Really?" Joohyeon let out a nervous laugh. "I'm not. If anything, I..." She thought if she could give it a try again, convincing her brother not to leave but she doubted anything would change as her brother was firm in making decisions. But then, she should still try. "Oppa... Can we just not..." Her eyes were already pleading but Joonmyeon sighed and shook his head.

"We've talked about this over and over Joohyeon. You know why we're doing this. This is for the best." Joohyeon had to stop herself to talk back. She bit down on her lower lip hard.

"Joohyeon..." Jae called out. "We know how you wanted to stay but like your brother said, living in America would be better for you. I hope you understand." Joohyeon was reaching her limit. She doesn't get why they kept on insisting on her what would be good and not. It's her life. Can't she make a decision for herself? Isn't she big and mature enough to tell what's good and not for her? Don't they trust her? 

Before the conversation could get any further, the speaker went on, saying that their boarding time is in ten minutes. With that, she stood up, making the two guy look up at her.

"Where..."

"I'm going to the restroom for a while. Let's meet at the boarding area." She gave herself some time to stare at her brother and Jae before turning her back because she knows there's already no turning back after that.

 

 

"Where is she?" Hoseok said, craning his neck over the crowd.

They stood outside the airport at the gate where they were said to wait. They knew what they're doing could cause them trouble. They knew very well the consequences of the action they're going to make but then, how could they say no to a person special to them which they thought was dead until she came back but to know that she doesn't even remember them? It was hard. But they're going to do it not because of their own desire to have her back but because they knew she deserved it. Her headaches might attack through the process. She might experience pain but sometimes, you'd really have to get hurt to later feel happiness, to have something you wanted. 

Also Joohyeon. She faced them and asked them that favor with a face so pleading and hoping. It was just so hard. And that all led them to where they are now. Waiting for their long lost best friend.

"Did she text yet?" Jimin asked, looking over at Jungkook.

"Not... There is!" Jungkook announced and opened the message that just came in. "She said she'll be out in a minute," he said and Hoseok let out a breath.

"Do you think this is a good idea? I mean, I wanted to spend time with her and everything but his brother and parents would go berserk. Add her protective boyfriend at that. This is so risky," Hoseok, who was usually calm and relaxed, said, totally unnerved.

"I don't know, alright. What I know is that we're doing this for her. Plus, this is her own request. If you think you could turn her down, I couldn't. You know... You know how..." Jungkook couldn't get out the words as he held in the tears that were about to fall.

"Okay guys. Let's just focus on what we had to do. We can't mess up." Jimin broke the tenseful air.

Jungkook knew this might not be the wisest decision but he do know that he wanted to help Joohyeon in any way. He would sacrifice getting scolded at, being blamed for anything, just to help her. She was that special to him, and he knew that to everyone of them, she is. A minute later, they saw a figure running towards them and they felt their heart relax but at the same time stop at the sight of her.

As soon as she reached them, she stopped to catch her breath. 

"Are you okay?" Jungkook asked, putting a hand to her back. She nodded with a small smile.

"Guys, we need to go. Soon, I'm sure they'll be looking for her," Jimin said and the other three nodded before they led her to the car they had brought.

The black car was parked just near and as soon as they reached, Hoseok pulled the door open and inside, the other four guys sat, with Seokjin on the wheel. Surprisingly the boy who was the most unsure until his friends had convinced him, was there, sitting at the back. Their eyes met and he felt his heart jump and race while Joohyeon was surprised but smiled. Their contact was cut when Namjoon said that they need to hurry. She was then asked to enter followed by the three other guys as Hoseok sat at the passenger's and Jungkook beside her while Jimin sat at the back. 

They don't know what the future held for them from then on but they knew that as long as they have each other, they could pass through anything. And soon they were driving to a place where old memories are to be relived and new memories are to be made.


A/N:

...Hi?...

I don't know if anyone's still here reading but for you who is reading this right now, I'm very thankful towards you. I know it's been so long since my last update. I don't want to reason or anything so I'll just say sorry and thank you for waiting until now.

The story is progressing you think? Lol. Because I noticed how the past chapters are so slow. So yeah. Here it is. I hope you look forward to the next chapters. I might not update soon but I'll sure be updating. Please do wait. Thank you!

Comments would be appreciated. :)