045

One More Day

Tonight she can't sleep.

The clock on the wall can be heard ticking in the background as she stared up her ceiling in the middle of the night. It's already past twelve and usually, she would be asleep and would be waking up an hour later. She's not sure if it had been a habit already or it was still her dreams waking her up every night but she really didn't care about it because it was obvious that her thoughts were the one hindering her of rest that night. 

The event that morning still played in her mind and her cheeks will still feel warm every time it will cross her mind. then her heart will jump to and she would have to fight the smile on her lips as she remember what happened that night. As she thought of it, for the nights when she would meet Taehyung, she would always be able to go back to sleep comfortably, the night before being the most pleasant one. 

She's knows it's wrong, and all the feelings he's been giving her is driving her to the edge of her sanity. She's trying to fight her own feelings but it was so hard especially if the boy was acting that way towards her. How could you even stop liking someone? That 'find their flaws' didn't really work because his annoying personality is very evident, something she really hates about him but what? She still ended up liking him. 

She can't even understand his changing moods but as time went by, she got used to it and it even added to his charms, as embarrassing as it sounds. There are so many reasons for her not to like him but there are also things that would make her fall in love with him--his simple gestures, his smiles, his gaze, his not so funny jokes, and the comfort he makes her feel. It was all enough to make her forget about all his flaws. She likes him just the way he is.

But she shouldn't. She couldn't. But what can she do if she'd fallen too deep? As days pass by, she would want to know more about him. The other boys would also make her want to know him because of how they describe him. She wanted to know if it's really true and why he's treating her the way he does. And more than anything, she wondered who he really is in her past. She's sure what the other six boys are to her before but him, she can't really tell. She somehow knew that they could've been friends before since the six boys are her best friends but at the same time, she could feel that there's something more. And she wanted to know how they became friends when all they did when they met in the present was bicker and tease each other. Were they like that too before? She's so curious but she doesn't know if it would be better that she didn't know about it because with her growing feelings for the boy, she can't even be sure that she could stop herself from falling for him even more.

She groaned and lie on her stomach. 

"Kim Joohyeon, what's wrong with you? You can't fall for him. You have Jae, remember? And you love him. It should be him who you love in that way and nobody else. That's why it's impossible that you'll like him in the same way too. You can't!" She grumbled. She was so frustrated at herself and her curiosity if he's still awake at that hour isn't helping at all. She stared at the door and bit her lower lip.

"Should I see if he's there?" She wondered but shook her head immediately. "No. I shouldn't. What reason will I have to do that? I like him, yes but I shouldn't so no. I won't go out and check if he's there." She in a breath and a minute later, she sat up on her bed and messed her hair up. "I'll go insane. What if he's there? What if he's..."

"Then why are you awake?"

"I'm waiting."

"He didn't mean that, right?" Her eyes widened as she finally realized what he said the other night. She bit her bottom lip and stared at the door intensely. She took a deep breath. She sat on her bed thinking before she sighed out loud and stood up. "I'll just check because I don't want to feel bad later. Yes. Nothing more." She walked to her door slowly and held the doorknob for a while, hesitating before she twisted it open. 

She peeked her head out and was surprised to someone outside her door, pacing before stopping when he noticed she was there. She knew who it was and her eyes widened as her her jumped when their eyes met. They stared at each other, equally surprised before Joohyeon closed the door and leaned on it, putting a hand on her chest, her heart beating crazily.

"What is he doing outside my room?" She muttered to herself. She looked at the clock and found that it was almost one in the morning. She bit the insides of her cheek and closed her eyes. "Go back to your room," she repeated in her head as if doing so would make him do it. She stood there for a minute before she willed herself to look out again. She slowly creaked her door open and peek and a sigh of relief escaped her lips when he was gone.

"Thank--" 

"Are you avoiding me?" Her heart almost jumped out of her ribcage when suddenly Taehyung appeared in front of her and out of surprise, she was about to closed the door but the latter slipped his foot, stopping the door from closing. 

She stared at his foot then forced herself to look at him. "What are you doing?" she said, incredulously and Taehyung arched an eyebrow at her.

"What do you think am I doing?" he asked, a playful smirk appearing on his lips and Joohyeon swallowed the lump in as her heart began racing. She looked away.

"I'm going to sleep so get your foot out," she said, ignoring his question. She waited for him to remove his foot, staring at it.

"I know you can't," he said and her heart jumped as she looked up at him, eyebrows furrowing at the boy.

"What?"

The curve on his lips was back again as if he knew that he succeeded at getting her attention and she hated that he was right. "I know you can't fall asleep. Otherwise, you won't be up right now," he said, shrugging.

She pressed her lips together as she tried to look for words to say but it was all stuck in as her eyes was once again entranced by his. She felt her breath hitch in when he suddenly pushed his way in and instantly, she found herself stuck between his arms. Her eyes widened when she heard the door close and she looked at it then back to him.

"What--"

"I hate it," he suddenly said and she forced herself to not get distracted by how close he was and how her heart was beating loudly in her chest. She looked at him confusedly.

"What are you saying? And what do you think are you doing?" She said, finally having the courage to retort at him. She tried to push him off but the boy didn't even budge. She bit her lower lip as her hand made contact with his chest which was hard and warm and she retraced her hands feeling heat rush to her face. She could feel his intense gaze on her and she forced herself to stare back at him. She didn't want to look weak to him. She didn't want to lose to him and to the feelings engulfing her heart. She need to prove to him and to herself that she could fight it, that she could remain faithful to her boyfriend. She swallowed, "Kim Taehyung."

"Kim Joohyeon," he called and she frowned at him, her ehart reacting to the way his lips said her name and his deep voice that echoed in her mind.

She took at deep breath and dragged her palms to her face. She's had enough of this. She wanted to know what his motives are because his actions are confusing her and she wanted to understand him. She wanted to know why he was doing all of it. She wanted to know why he is waiting for her every night. She wanted to know why he is there in her room right then. She wanted to know if she's the only one making a big deal out of it. She wanted to know if he's just playing with her because obviously, he's winning in the game he's started. She needed to know all the answers to her questions but along the way, other questions pops up in her mind and it all melted to one question to which she knew only him would know.

She looked up at him and saw his gaze still on her. His eyes were deep and dark in contrast to the worry it portrayed that moment and her once courage was down in a second. "Can you stop looking at me that way," she muttered, biting her lower lip hard. She didn't get a reply from him but his eyes searched hers for a moment before he finally moved away.

"Bundle up. We're going somewhere," he said, shoving his hands to his pockets. Her eyes snapped to him and she arched an eyebrow, "What? Are you crazy? It's already past one in the morning."

"Maybe I am," he said, smirking. It sent shivers down her spine and she swallowed. He opened the door and stepped out, Joohyeon watching his every movement with confusing all over her face. He obviously knew how to get in her nerves.

"You can't just tell a girl to come with you," she said firmly, trying to stand her ground. She won't give in to him. Taehyung turned around with this and his eyebrows furrowed before it smoothed and a boyish grin graced his face. She pretended not to be smitten by it and look intensely at him.

"I have to say something," he said as if he knew it'll get her to come, and it did but she didn't want to give in just yet. "What is it?" She pretended to yawn. "I'm sleepy so can't you just tell me here?" The boy looked at her amusedly. "No, so if you want to know, you'll start changing into warmer clothes because I have a five minute limit." He tapped his wrist watch as if to emphasize it and a sly smirk came to his lips. "I'll be waiting." He turned around and walked off, leaving her staring at the spot he once stood and sighing loudly in frustration.

"How can I even like him?! I HATE HIM!" She muttered to herself before shutting the door close and doing as she was told. At that moment, she just felt hopeless.

 

In five minutes, she stood in front of the front door, wearing a pair of fitted jeans, a sweater over a shirt and a knitted jacket that reached just about her knees to top it all. She gave a little effort to comb her hair and apply a little cream on her face. She didn't want to look like she was trying to prep up for him especially given a time limit and she had to hurry.

He looked at her from head to toe and then back up to her face making her frown. It made her self-conscious. A playfuly smirk came to his lips as he said, "You used the five minutes pretty impressively." She knew he was teasing so she didn't give him the satisfaction and forced a smile. "Oh why thank you." The smile on his lips grew larger before his eyebrows seemed to see something not right with her. "What?" She asked as he pouted.

"I told you to bundle up and yet you forgot to put a scarf," he said, shaking his head. Her cheeks flushed in realization but she wasn't about to accept her stupidity so she cleared and said, "I don't get cold easily so it's fine." It was a total lie but she wasn't going to commit it too. Taehyung looked at him skeptically before shaking his head.

"You're a bad liar," he said before he reached out and hesitated for a while before grabbing her arm and pulling her along. "We don't have time. Let's go." She could feel the blush creep up to her cheeks at the contact and she tried to shrug it off as she tried pulling out of his grasp. When she finally freed herself, Taehyung looked back at her, hurt plastered to his face. She looked down, feeling bad. "I can walk on my own," she said softly and he stared at her for a moment before nodding. She expected him to say something, to remain stubborn and take her arm but him nodding surprised her a lot and she was sure her heart stopped beating for a second before she composed herself when she noticed he was walking ahead of her.

Taehyung reached the car parked just below the set of stairs and Joohyeon stopped at the bottom of the stairs, wondering why they had to take the car. As if hearing her, Taehyung reached to open the passenger's side of the door and his head to the side, "We're going to the shopping district," he said and her eyebrows furrowed. He sighed before going over to her. He hesitated again and Joohyeon felt as if it was her fault so she looked up at him to break the tension, "Are we going or not?" She asked and Taehyung finally snapped out of his daze and a small smile graced his lips. "Then you might want to hurry along," he grinned and she rolled her eyes playfully. Taehyung smirked before gesturing to the open door. Joohyeon scoffed as she followed him and as she got in, Taehyung sent her another heart fluttering smirk before closing the door and jogging to his side of the car. He got in quickly and soon, he started the engine.

"Do the boys know?" She asked, unsure if going out that late was something they should be doing. 

He seemed to consider it for a while before shrugging. "I bet they do," he said as he swivelled to the left to get on the road. Soon they were driving on the path to the shopping district. She looked out the window and watched the scenery pass by her. It's not that it was her first time seeing the place at night but that time, it felt different. She noticed things she didn't before like how she could see the city lights from the distance and how beautiful it looked. It couldn't be helped when you're almost living in the mountains. She felt relaxed and a small smile came to her lips. She was supposed to be afraid after that accident years ago and she is, to be honest, but having him by her side gave her security and comfort. She hoped that they could just drive and not stop.

 

Taehyung tried to focus on the road but he can't help himself from glancing at her once in a while. After her humming in reply to him, she hadn't said a word and was just staring out the window. He thought she would be so against with the idea of going out that late, knowing what happened years ago could have traumatized her but seeing her now, he was relieved that she looked fine--too relaxed even. A small smile lifted on his lips.

An hour later, they reached their destination and Taehyung pulled up to the side of the street. He glanced at Joohyeon and found her peering out the window, her eyes slightly widened in awe. He understood why because it was so late but the market seemed to be buzzing with people still, like the night hasn't started yet.

"Let's go?" He asked and she looked away from the window and to him, their eyes connecting as she just seemed to stare at him for a moment. He doesn't know why he suddenly felt self-conscious under her gaze so he cleared his throat and arched an eyebrow. "Do you realize you are staring at me?" Then to dissipate the awkwardness, he added, "I know I'm handsome and you can't help but stare and you have the whole night but we need to get off." He grinned and seeming to have just realized what he said, she rolled her eyes and scoffed.

"No. I'm just thinking why we are here," she said.

He knew why but he wasn't about to tell her that he just wanted to spend some time with her and bring her out so he just casually shrugged. "I told you didn't I?"

Her lips pout, something she tends to do a lot when she doubts a person. "But you could've just told me back in the house." He liked the way she made it sound like they have a house to themselves when obviously, it isn't theirs.

Sighing, he opened the door to his side and Joohyeon curiously watched him as he walked over to her side and pulled the door open, leaning in making her move back with their close proximity. He smirked when he saw this and he watched her for a while before saying, "You're too stubborn Kim Joohyeon. Are you coming or are you going to just stay here?" He asked and Joohyeon frowned, knowing that Taehyung obviously knew the answer to that. Taehyung smiled triumphantly when Joohyeon swallowed and said, "I can't go out when you're there." Taehyung moved back and Joohyeon stepped out, the cold air hitting her as soon as she did, sending her to slightly shiver.

Taehyung noticed this and sighing, he removed his own scarf, Joohyeon watching him with wide eyes. Realizing what he's about to do as he raised the scarf to put it around her neck, she stepped back.

"I'm okay," she said although it sounded like a squeak. Taehyung rolled his eyes before pulling her closer to him, Joohyeon's heart skipping a beat. "I don't want you getting sick." She swore her heart just jumped to when she heard it because for the first time ever, he admitted to be concerned to her without using the boys and she can't help but gawk at him. Taehyung noticed her staring and he knew it was because of what he said. He wasn't being discreet about it because he thought that for that night, he'll be as true as possible and that is just one step for that night. Making sure that the scarf is securely around her neck and she's protected from the coldness, he held the ends of the scarf and leaned down a little until their eyes met, making Joohyeon's eyes widened more if it was even possible.

He smirked. "You look like it's the first time you've seen a handsome guy like me," he said and Joohyeon quickly snapped out of her daze and she looked at him increduously although she can't deny the fact that he really is a handsome guy but definitely not the first time she'd seen one. Just maybe...maybe someone handsome who could make her react to ways she didn't know she's capable of. Scoffing, she was about to shove him when Taehyung caught her hand and his lips turned up.

"Y-Yah," she stammered as she tried to get her hand back but Taehyung didn't let go as he stood beside her and sneakily weaved his fingers to hers, surprising her and spreading shivers down her spine. The familiar warmth came back to her and even if she should pull away, she can't find the strength to do so, or maybe, she just didn't want to let go at all. She stared up at him, burying almost half of her face to the scarf to hide her reddened cheeks. Taehyung looked down at her and she didn't miss to see how his eyes twinkled and smiled as his lips did.

"Just for tonight," he said and she blinked, trying to get what he meant. He squeezed her hand, making her look down at their hands that seemed to fit perfectly with each other. "Just for tonight, forget about everything. And when I said everything, it means all the things bothering you. Let go of everything and just focus on this moment," he said sincerely and she noticed a slight blush on his cheeks as he pointed to him and to her, "on you and me. Alright?" She in a breath. She didn't know how is that possible but he made it sound that it is not impossible. But would that be alright?

"But--" He finger was held up to her lips, startling her.

"Remember, forget about everything else than this moment. Or else," he paused and she saw him swallow as if he was hesitating and she was so curious so she asked, "What?" He blinked at her and stammered, "I'll kiss you." Her eyes widened but she can't help but chuckle at his flushed expression when he said it. He's embarrassed but it's hard not to smile when he saw her laughing carelessly. "I mean it!" He added and she rolled her eyes playfully. "If you say so," she said.

Taehyung pouted. "I really mean it," he said and Joohyeon laughed more but stopped when she noticed that he was really serious with that.

"What?"

Noticing how the atmosphere turned slightly eerie, he shrugged. "Just know I warned you. Let's go," he said, tugging at her hand and she let him lead her, wondering if he'll really do it but not sure if she's willing to risk it.


A/N:

Hi my lovely readers! I know this quite a late update and short at that but I just didn't want you guys waiting for long so I decided to put this up.

Thank you for always being patient with me. ^^

Thank you for reading, commenting, upvoting and subscribing! I love you guys! ^^