042

One More Day

That night, like the day before and the days before that, she wakes up to darkness, her hand gripping onto her sheets tightly.

It started that night after the competition, where she would wake up in the middle of the night, the image of the boy and the girl disappearing as soon as her eyes forces open and she's breathless with dry, forcing her to get out of bed and get a glass of water. Those times came rarely until it happened often after she'd seen the small box and it's contents.

She shot up from her bed and tried to calm her frantic breathing before she coughed dryly and stood up to get herself a glass of water. She knew she should've just placed a glass of water with her by the bedside table every night but she liked the feeling of leaving her room after feeling suffocated because of her dreams.

She padded through the stillness of the night and to the kitchen where she opened the refrigerator and looked for something drink when the yogurt drink caught her sight again. She swallowed, craving the sweet taste of it. But she can't. The owner is back and she didn't want to argue with him over some drinks. She chewed on her lower lip when suddenly a hand shot out and her shriek hitched on as her heart jumped out of her chest. When she looked up to the owner of the hand, she was more startled than ever.

"T-Taehyung..." She stammered and he took a second as he got his yogurt drink and turn to her, shaking it in front of her face.

"You like?" He said and she blinked, her eyebrow narrowing on the drink in his hand before she looked up at him. "You're giving it to me?" She asked, surprised and Taehyung seemed to think for a while, obviously teasing before nodding. "Really?" She made sure and Taehyung cocked his eyebrow. "If you don't like it then..."

"No! I like it," she said, reaching for it but he pulled it out of her reach and Joohyeon glared at him. "I thought you're giving it to me," she frowned.

"It's not for free," he said, shaking his head and Joohyeon sneered before turning to the refrigerator, "You can keep it." She was about to reach for the water pitcher when he blocked her and Joohyeon glared his way. "Move away."

"C'mon. It's not something you can't do," he said, cocking her eyebrow up and Joohyeon tried to read if he's telling the truth but it was hard staring at him for long because it was clearly not good for her heart so she looked at his chest instead. "What?" She can't believe she's asking him but she really wants it and if he says that... The corner of his lips curled and he pushed the drink to her hand, to be sure she has no way out before getting himself another and closing the refrigerator.

He turned around and started walking for the living room, Joohyeon curiously staring at his back. "Where are you going?" She asked and Taehyung sat on the couch before glancing back at her. "Stay with me. That's the price." She felt her heart thump against her chest, her stomach being filled with butterflies. 

"W-What?" She stuttered but what he justifies it. It was just...not normal.

Seeing the hesitation in her eyes, Taehyung thought of ways to convince her. Thinking about that last time they did it, he thought of using it again, moving to the farthest end of the couch even if all he wanted was to seat beside her and feel her heat. "I'm not going to jump on you, alright. How many times..."

"I'm not saying anything," she muttered before walking over and sitting on the opposite end. It felt like they were back to that night, that night where they were somehow civil with each other and she listened to him although it won't slip her mind how she fell asleep and missed hearing everything he'd said. That time, if ever they'll be talking again, she'll make sure to stay up and keep her eyes open.

They were quiet as they both sip on their drinks, stealing glances at each other once in a while. It was awkward, as always, when it was just the two of them, especially when it was dark and the only light was from the moonlight streaming in the window. Taehyung knew he need to say something because he didn't want to waste the chance especially that it's not that easy to convince her. He decided on the typical question.

"Why are you still up?" He said, glancing at her from his drink. She was looking on her drink as if it was the most interesting thing in the world and he found it adorable. He had to stop himself from chuckling.

She's hesitating to tell him but the time was giving her all those feeling when you feel as if you could just say anything so she did, throwing the pride out of the window. "I just woke up. Dreams and such," she said, mumbling the last three words but Taehyung caught onto it and he grew curious.

"What dreams?" He asked but instead of telling him what he's curious about, she dodged the question and asked, "You, why are you awake?" He pressed his lips to a thin line. "I can't fall asleep," he said and it caught Joohyeon's curiosity. She looked at the clock hung on the wall and read the time. It was already two in the morning. "You haven't slept?" She asked, surprised and a hint of worry in her voice. It was normal...right? 

Taehyung caught on the worry in her voice and he fought hard not to grin. He shook his head. "Why?" She asked, full curiosity obvious in her orbs. He adjusted on his seat so he was facing her and said, "You haven't answered my question. What about your dreams?" He asked, knowing that despite she's curious, she was also trying to dodge his questions.

She saw her her lip before taking her bottom lip with her teeth and he knows she was nervous. Feeling guilty because she looked distressed by pushing her, he said, "Alright. You--" He was surprised when she said, "Just some...strange dreams."

Now he's more curious. "Strange dreams?" 

"It's nothing much."

"Nothing much that it could wake you up in the middle of the night?" He asked, arching an eyebrow and he knew he got her with that. He was worried because she could see the worry lines on her forehead and how her fingers kept on scraping on the paper label of the drink in her hands. "I might not look trustworthy but..." He hesitate because the past still haunts him so he pushed at the back of his mind and told himself that he's already not that dumb boy from the past. "I'm a good listener."

Joohyeon gave him a doubtful look and Taehyung rolled his eyes playfully. "Don't you trust me?" He felt the words bitter in his mouth. He was hopeful and curious if she will finally trust him. Again. He felt his breath hitching when she nodded her head and with a soft voice, she said, "Even if you don't like it, I do." He found himself chuckling on it and a smile broke to her lips. "I don't know if that's a compliment or not but go and shoot it." He shrugged.

He gave her time to organize her thoughts and waited patiently for her to find her voice to finally talk. "Don't laugh, okay?" She said, giving him a pointed a look.

He raised his eyebrows. "If it's not funny..." Joohyeon arched an eyebrow and he sighed and said, "I'll try." 

She rolled her eyes and kept quiet for a second or so before she said, "It's just some...strange dream. There's a boy, a girl, and other people. I don't know them, but I'm watching them. It's like I'm a bystander, witnessing how their lives went. Something like that." She shrugged. She paused, looking down on her lap. He kept his silence, thinking that she was going to say more but a minute passed and she hasn't said anything so he decided to ask the question that bugged him.

"How does a boy and a girl who I assume not doing anything they shouldn't...or not?" He asked, noticing the frown on her lips.

"Not really. I don't know them but...they're familiar. Just..." She tries to find word to describe it but cannot so she just sighed and shook her head. "Forget it."

"You're leaving me hanging," Taehyung said, raising his eyebrows at her. She heaved. "It's tiring to think about it."

"That's why you let it out. So you get it out of your head," he said, pushing on her temple and she pouted. "Don't do that." He snickered. "Fine. I'll not force you anymore."

She stuck her tongue out on him and in his mind, she wanted to tell her to don't do that because it was already hard stopping himself from not going close to her but at the same time, he didn't want her to stop because she misses it. 

They let the silence linger, Taehyung just staring at her as he leaned back on the handrest of the couch, a leg folded on the space in front of her. He would catch her glancing at him but he didn't say anything even if usually, he would because he's contented just staring at her and being with her.

"Stop staring," she muttered, feeling her cheeks turn warm and she was glad that it was too dark for him to see.

"Why?"

Her eyebrows knitted. "Because..." It does things in my heart "...it's uncomfortable."

"How?" 

"You're acting weird."

"How?"

"You shouldn't be staring at me."

"Why not?" He might be loving it too much but he enjoys hearing her voice, how she trying to be patient although she's already annoyed.

"Because you're supposed to be mad at me." That caught him by surprise but he remembered that they were actually supposed to be ignoring each other and he bit back his smile, realizing how she still remembers it.

"I'm not mad."

"You were."

"How did you tell?"

"You were obviously ignoring me."

"Well, you also ignored me."

"It's because you didn't want to talk to me."

"Then do you want to talk to me?" He knows she caught her off guard with that. He could see how she stiffened on her seat and shifted under his gaze. Is it bad to feel that he's enjoying seeing her like that? It somehow makes him feel good but in turn, he could see how uncomfortable she has turned and it made him feel bad. He his lips and sighed, angling his head so that it would fit on the crook of the hand rest and the head rest. "You don't have to answer that." He closed his eyes but he could feel her shift and gaze at him.

She was stunned because she didn't think he will just backdown like that since he was the one who started throwing questions. When she saw his eyes closed, her heart starting beating slowly at the peaceful state he is. He looks so far from the Taehyung who is so annoying and noisy. With his eyes closed, he almost looks angelic, the moonlight casting a soft glow on half of his face. She shook her head, removing the thought away but realized that she's denying again.

Sighing, she copied his position and leaned her head on the headrest and stared at his sleeping figure, his breathing going even. She began tracing his features with her eyes, from the space between his eyes to the length of his nose then...his lips. His hair was in a dishevelled form but rather than making him look messy, it added to his attracting features. She can't deny that.

"How can I hate you when you're like that?" She muttered softly. She just stayed like that until she could feel her eyelids getting heavy and she stood up, wondering if she should wake him up because clearly, she can't carry him unlike him who could carry her. Seeing how deep in his sleep he is, she walked back to her room, grabbed her fleece blanket and went back to him, carefully tucking him to it. She stepped back to check if it was fine but his head angle bothered her because it would surely leave him with a stiff neck if he continues to sleep like it.

Looking around the living room, she saw a small pillow and grabbed it, walking around him and cautiously, she lifted his head and inserted the pillow beneath him. She froze when he suddenly stirred and her hand froze where she held him at the side of his face. Electricity shoot up her room. She could feel the heat radiate from his skin and even if the sensation warmed her cold hands, she carefully removed her hand and stepped back. She checked on him again before nodding to herself, smiling. She should be offended that he just slept on her like that but she wasn't because clearly, she was the one who did it to him first. Plus, she liked to see a different a Taehyung. One whose guard is down and looking innocent. At least, even if he fell asleep on her that night, she was able to keep her promise to herself and stayed awake.

"Good night, Tae," she said softly, the name slipping off her tongue naturally and she found it nice, making her smile, before walking away, glancing back one more time and entered her room.

When he heard the door click close, he asked himself if he just heard it right but he was sure he did because even if it was softly said, she was near enough for him to hear. A smile spread on his lips and in a soft whisper, he said, "Good night, Hyeon."

 

The first thing that came to her mind when she woke up that morning is the light conversation she'd had with Taehyung few hours ago and it placed a small smile on her face. He was annoying her, that was a given, but it was also nice because she could hear the concern in his voice that night. She thought that maybe, just maybe, Taehyung didn't hate her and that brought a good feeling to her chest, making her smile broaden. She might hate his guts but she also hates having misunderstandings with other people.

Getting up from her bed, she checked the time and saw that it was already eight in the morning. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she walked to the bathroom and found the door open but occupied. She stopped midstep and blinked at the familiar back to her. He didn't seem to notice her so cautiously walking, she stood at the doorway and waited for him to finish. Her heart was doing cartwheels in her chest again and she thumped her chest, only to jump when she heard his voice.

"What are you doing standing there?" He said with tooth paste still in his mouth.

She looked at him and found him looking at her from the mirror. "That's disgusting," she said and Taehyung rolled his eyes. "Are you going to brush your teeth too?" He said as if Joohyeon just didn't tell him to stop doing it. Sighing, knowing he wouldn't just listen, she said, "Yes so hurry up so I--" Her eyes widened when he stepped aside, making space for her. 

Is he... "What are you doing?"

"Making space for you, what else?" He said, shrugging and focusing on brushing his teeth. 

"It's alright. I'll just wait--" 

"Why are you so stubborn?" Taehyung said, pulling his toothbrush from his mouth. She sneered at him. "I'm not."

"Then what? You just simply don't like me?" She was sure that her heart will jump out of her chest when she heard that. When she saw him still looking at her from the mirror, she cleared and looked on the floor as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

"No..." As soon as that slipped out from , she felt a hand grab her wrist and pull her inside. She stared wide eyed at him and Taehyung rolled his eyes, grabbing her toothbrush from the pile in the cup and handing hers to her. Biting her lower lip, she finally surrendered and got the toothpaste and placed an ample amount to hers and started brushing her teeth.

"Who's stubborn now," she said in a whisper and she jumped when Taehyung said, "Don't talk when you have toothpaste in your mouth." She glared at him through the mirror but the smirk on his lips made him look back to her reflection. It was Taehyung who finished first and gargled, drying his mouth with a towel. She just watched him through the mirror and when he suddenly glanced at her, she looked away.

"Thanks," he said, just standing there beside her.

Confused, she asked, "For?"

"Last night. For the blanket... and staying," he said, a red tinting his face. Fighting the urge to smile, she just nodded and waited for him to leave but he just stood there, looking at the sink and at her then to the floor then back to her. She wanted to ask him what he was still doing there but she still has toothpaste in and she was sure he will for it so she just kept quiet.

"Did you..." She perked up when she heard him talk. He looked hesitant for a second which was kind a new to her. She knew Taehyung to be that over confident guy so it slightly surprised her. "Did you sleep well last night?" He finally asked, looking at her through the mirror. She was stunned for a moment, just staring at him through the mirror. He suddenly sighed and shook his head. "Never mind. See you at breakfast," he said, turning around and leaving her alone. 

When he was out of her sight, she asked herself the same question: Did she sleep well that night?

 

She saw him in breakfast and as if it was already an arrangement, she was seated in front of him but this time, she didn't mind it. Maybe because last night, she started feeling a lot more comfortable with his presence, even if her heart would still do those jumping and skipping.Breakfast was a lot more normal than the day before. The boys talked, joked, and she, well, she did the same but with a little bickering with the boy before her. That was normal so it didn't really surprise any of them.

When they were done with breakfast, she helped with cleaning the plates with Seokjin before Hoseok suggested that they hang around the yard since it wasn't that cold. 

He was right because the sun was beaming brightly and the wind was blowing slightly. It was a really nice weather. They haven't done that in a while so it was great to spend some time under the sun with them. Jimin brought out a football and started shuffling it with his foot. Soon the boys were engaged in a football game, only that they have no goals but a line protect. She just thought of watching them from the porch swing since she isn't really good at it but Jungkook pulled her up, forcing her to join.

"That's alright. You'll not be playing alone, anyway, you have teammates," he said.

"He's right. Also, it's not like you've never played with us before," Yoongi said, shock evident on his face when he realized what he just said. Even all the boys were surprised and looked at him but for some reason, Joohyeon wasn't surprised to hear it. She was more surprised that they admitted it. It was Seokjin who first broke the tense atmosphere and said, "I agree." It brought another round of shocked faces but Seokjin seemed unfazed as he smiled at them then at her, "It's alright, right?"

It took her a moment to realize what he meant and she smiled, nodding. "It's alright." Seokjin nodded while the boys sighed, slightly making her laugh. "You guys don't need to worry about me," she found herself saying, remembering what the stranger said, "It's part of this whole thing, right?" She gave them a reassuring smile before she stood up and looked at their faces before chuckling. "C'mon guys. Ease up. I'm okay. I'll be joining but I should warn you guys, I'm not good at aiming," she said and it made all the guys laugh.

"We already know that." With another round of laughter, they began playing.

Since there were eight of them, they divided themselves to four; Seokjin, Jimin, Yoongi and Joohyeon on the other team and Taehyung, Namjoon, Jungkook, and Hoseok on the other. 

"On the count of three," Namjoon said as they positioned themselves, with Jimin and Taehyung on the front line, to see who gets the ball. "Hana, Dul, Set! Go!"

The ball started travelling from one person to the other, Joohyeon avoiding to get on the way for her members. She tried stealing the ball but of course, she fails because the boys are obviously better than she ever will be. When she had the chance to get the ball, she would slightly panic and not know where to give it.

"Joohyeon, here!" Jimin waved and she looked up at him then at the ball. She tried looking for any opening when she did, she aimed to kick it to him but someone blocked her way and she looked to see Taehyung with a smirk on his face. Determined to get the ball to Jimin, she tried to walk over him but Taehyung was quicker and before she could even kick it, he had stolen the ball and kicked it past the line then goalled.

"Better luck next time," Taehyung said, smirking and she glared at him. "So you're beginning a war, huh?" She said and Taehyung shrugged.

More determined than ever, they began shuffling the ball with the possession of Joohyeon's team. The ball rolled and soared from one person to another until the ball was with her again. She knew Taehyung would do anything to block her so she moved faster. She wasn't surprised when Taehyung caught up with her easily and stood on her way. 

"Are you sure you can protect it?" Taehyung asked with a smug look and Joohyeon glared at him. "You try me," she said, returning the same cocky look and Taehyung had to stop himself to not close the gap between him and her. It distracted him for a moment, giving Joohyeon the chance to overtake him and kick the ball to Yoongi who was waving his arm up to her. Taehyung snapped out of his trance when Joohyeon pumped her fist and said, "Asa!" He looked around and saw that Yoongi was able to kick it to the goal and their team ran to hug each other and jump around. Taehyung could only smile.

"Too smitten to steal it, huh?" He heard Hoseok said with a teasing grin and he rolled his eyes playfully. "No thanks. I prefer in love," he smirked and Hoseok guffawed. "God, why am I friends with you again?"

"Because you love me," Taehyung said, sticking his tongue out, earning a punch on the arm. His eyes lifted and connected to Joohyeon's who stuck her tongue out on him with a 'I-told-you-so' and he smirked. "Why am I so in love with her again?" Hoseok raised an eyebrow at him then looked at Joohyeon. "What?"

"Nothing," he said, that silly smile on his face. Hoseok rolled his eyes. "Someone punch this guy to wake up, please?" Taehyung grinned. "Get youself a girl then tell me that," Taehyung said before walking away. Hoseok's jaw went slack before he rolled his eyes, smirking. "If only you know. Jerk."

They played one more round before they called off the game and just hang around the yard. Joohyeon looked at all the boys and she can't help but be nostalgic. She looked up at sky and sighed. "Can someone stop the time please?" She whispered and Namjoon looked at her, hearing what she said. "What?" Joohyeon smiled and shook her head. Namjoon gauged her expression before nodding. He's not sure why he suddenly felt that something was bothering her but seeing how she was smiling brightly while listening to the other boys, he just smiled and said, "We'll always be here." Joohyeon heard it and turned to him, a little surprised but smiled. "Thank you."


A/N: 

Hi my lovely readers! I know I said I won't be able to update soon but ta-da~ I had some time and I had written half of this chapter already so I decided to post it. ^^

I'm sorry for all the grammatical and typos. I normally don't edit it because I'm lazy. XD

A little fluffy and alone time for our lovers? Do you want to give them a nickname? Like OTPs. I think it's a trend and I also want to give them a nickname. ^^ Comment down the name you want. I'm sure you'll have interesting nicknames.

Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing! Love you!