014

One More Day

Days passed by in a blink of an eye and finally it was Christmas Eve. Joohyeon’s family gathered around the dining table, enjoying the delicious food they prepared that day. You read it right. They prepared it, her parents, her brother, and her. They asked their maids to go back to their hometowns and spend time with their families, and they never regret letting them because it was only the time where they again got a time to get together with only the four of them and nobody else.

Stories were shared throughout the night as they tried catching up.

“How are you and Jae doing, my dear?” Her mom asked and she felt her cheeks heating up, remembering what happened just two nights back.

“Look at that. She’s blushing,” Joonmyeon teased and she stuck her tongue out at him before looking down on her food.

“We’re doing great,” she replied and looked up to smile and her parents smiled back, happy for their daughter.

“How about you, Joonmyeon? Any plans of having a family?” A sheepish grin reached to Joohyeon lips before she said, “Oppa could get any girl chasing after him but I think he’s gay—“

“Yah, Kim Joohyeon, are you just calling your own brother gay?” Joonmyeon gawked at her and she laughed. Their parents shook their heads, small smiles on their faces as they watched their kids teasing each other. They’ve grew a lot and it still saddened them that they were not always around along the way. They were thankful though that they have very thoughtful and understanding son and daughter. They would never ask for anything more.

Joonmyeon shrugged after much teasing, looking down on his food. “I’m not closing the possibilities but my priority right now is my work and well, this kiddo here,” Joonmyeon said slicing his beef and eating it, not really comfortable of saying that out loud. Joohyeon on the other hand was so touched as she smiled up her brother and said, “I take back my word. Joonmyeon oppa’s not gay. He’s just so sweet, I get cavities.” Joonmyeon shook his head with disbelief with a lopsided smile. Her parents chuckled at it.

“Ja, it’s time to open gifts. Are you all done?” Her father said wiping his mouth with the table napkin and they all nodded, putting their utensils down.

“I’m just gonna put all these away and I’ll follow,” their mom said but Joohyeon already started stacking the used plates and without any word, they helped each other in placing everything on the sink before they joined her father and brother who was sitting at the couch in the living room.

Joohyeon snuck up to the Christmas tree like she always used too. “I’ll go get mine first, can I?” She asked giddily and before she could get any answer, she already dug down to look for her gifts. Her brother actually doubted if she was already a twenty-two years old girl but thought that it was actually one charm of her sister.

She found two of them and she got them after wrinkling her nose in thought. She checked from whom it came from and found that it was from her mom and dad. She can’t help but wonder where her brother’s gift for her is because he never misses a Christmas without giving her anything. She was too shy to ask so she just kept quiet as she looked through the gift on her hands. As if reading her mind, Joonmyeon said, “Are you done? I’m going to get mine already,” Joonmyeon grinned, teasing her sister but Joohyeon just nodded and walked to the couch.

She waited for every one of them to get their gifts before they all agreed to open it at the same time. She was stunned to see a brand new Samsung Galaxy S5 from her dad while her mom gave her a brand new laptop. hung low as she turned to them.

“Do you like it?” Her parents asked and with glee, she nodded before hugging her parents.

“Thank you appa, omma. I didn’t expect these. You know you could’ve bought me something less expensive,” she said before letting go.

“You deserve it, our dear. Don’t worry about it, okay?” Her mom said and she smiled, nodding.

“Thank you again,” she said, couldn’t help but to repeat it over and over.

She actually wanted to buy a new phone because her old phone had been with her for as long as she remembers and it’s been experiencing some ‘downfalls’ already.

Once they had opened all the gifts and were just enjoying all the presents given to them, her parents already went to their rooms feeling tired and Joohyeon and Joonmyeon promised to clean up before going to bed. As promised, they went to clean up the dining room and washed the plates. It took them less than twenty minutes to put everything in place before they both went back to the living room and sat on the couch.

Joohyeon leaned her head on Joonmyeon’s shoulder as she explored her new phone while Joonmyeon the tv to watch a late night broadcast of a soccer game of Manchester United. Joonmyeon snuck a look at her sister and found her so wide awake still so he smiled and turned the TV off, catching Joohyeon’s attention.

“The game is done?” She asked sitting up.

Joonmyeon shook his head before standing up. “C’mon. We’re going somewhere.” Curious, she obliged and stood up, following his brother as he walked out the house. She was surprised when her brother opened his car and opened the door out for her.

“Where are we going?” She asked and his brother sighed, just pushing her in.

“Don’t be too curious.”

Once Joonmyeon got in, he started the engines and drove out their drive way to the road. Joohyeon stared out, watching the houses and establishments they passed why and seeing how their lights were also still on, they were probably still enjoying the Christmas eve.

“Where are we really going?” She asked, tilting her head to her brother.

“You’ll see. We need to hurry,” he said and it got her more curious. She patiently waited until they stopped by the Han Gang river and Joonmyeon turned the engines off. She also saw a couple of cars parked where they were and the cars were awfully familiar. She was surprised when she heard a knock on her side of the window and Jongdae and Baekhyun was smiling widely at her. Her eyes widened in surprise before she removed her seatbelt and Baekhyun opened the door for her.

She happily hugged Baekhyun who returned the embrace. She broke it off to hug Jongdae after. Soon, she saw some of her oppas approaching them and it made her even happier. It was really a surprise because all she thought was they went to their hometowns to celebrate the Christmas day.

“I thought you all went home?” She asked Baekhyun and the boy shrugged with a smile.

“Thought of celebrating it with you guys since this might be the last before a long time again,” he said and she felt like tearing up.

“Baby girl, didn’t you miss me?” She turned and found Luhan smiling so handsomely at her. She wouldn’t forget how she actually admitted that he liked Luhan when they were young and up ‘til now, they still kept on teasing her but she was happy it was so seldom now because it was really embarrassing whenever they bring it up.

She decided to , shaking her head. Luhan pouted and she felt like pinching his cheeks but stopped herself because it was not appropriate. “I missed you a lot, oppa,” she grinned and Luhan smiled instantly. They hugged each other before Joohyeon proceeded to greet and hug her other oppas.

“I really thought I won’t be seeing you guys for Christmas,” she beamed and his oppas smiled.

“We wouldn’t miss this for anything. It’s been years since we get to celebrate it together,” Yixing said, smiling at her. She turned to Joonmyeon who was standing with Kyungsoo at the side.

“I didn’t know this is where we are going, thank you oppa,” she said and Joonmyeon smiled at her.

“Anything for you, dongsaeng.”

They spent the time playing around like before. When Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Jongdae started throwing snow balls at them the war began as they run around, avoiding it. They fought back by throwing back larger snow balls. By the time they decided to stop, they were all freezing cold.

In the end, they sat on the grass covered snow, just staring out at the midnight sky, like how they used to as kids. It was already past three in morning, almost four but they were all still wide awake. Kyungsoo and Joonmyeon came with cans of hot coffee and chocolate drinks they bought from a nearby convenience store. They enjoyed it together with the silence of the night before Minseok stood up and left, returning with a plastic bag.

Joohyeon watched him as he took out sticks of firecrackers and her eyes widened in surprise. Minseok gave them all two each. “We thought of buying and having an early New Year because then, we might not be able to celebrate it together,” he said, a little sad and Joohyeon just softly smiled.

“Ja, let’s light it up and one by one make a wish!” Chanyeol cheerfully said in his deep voice.

It had become a habit since they were young and Joohyeon was happy to do it again after so long. Starting from Sehun who sat at the other end of the line, they made their wishes. Joohyeon sat in the middle, with Luhan and Baekhyun sitting at either side of her. When it was her turn, she closed her eyes while making her wish.

“I wish that all the important people in life be happy…” And that I’ll be able to know who I really am. She stopped the sigh that was about to slip out her lips and smiled instead. Her oppas smiled at how genuine Joohyeon said it. She would always wish for others even as a young kid and it never fails to amaze them every time.

After everyone had said their wish, they played with their firecrackers, waving and writing in the air. It was really a fun time and she hoped that it would last forever.

Before they left, they took commemorative photos with Joohyeon’s new phone and Kyungsoo’s camera.

They all went home before the sun rose. As they said their good byes, Joonmyeon stood with Luhan at the side and he couldn't comprehend what he just heard.

"You gave her what?" Luhan said, a little shocked.

"Photo albums. I made sure that the boy isn't there," Joonmyeon assured and Luhan let out a sigh. He didn't know if he should be relaxed. He looked at Joohyeon and the smile on her face was so bright but he knew it still lacked. He'd known her for so long, looked over her like she is his real sister. He could tell if her smiles reaches her ears and when it doesn't.  He knew her that much and he cared for her more than a real brother so all he wanted was for her to be happy and if it would make her happy, then so be it. He just hopes that whatever she's sees wouldn't give her any headaches.

Soon, they all departed to their homes. The night was longer during this season so it was still very dark even at five-thirty in the morning. Joohyeon was so tired that she fell asleep on the ride home. Joonmyeon woke her up as soon as they reached home and he walked her to her room, opening the door out for her before they greeted each other good night.

She decided to go straight to bed, not turning the lights on anymore as she entered. She just removed her jacket and hit the bed as she reached out to grab the stuff toy Jae had given her for her birthday that year only but instead she held something hard. She then reached out for her lamp and turned it on.

A medium sized box welcomed her and she squint her eyes to clear her vision. She grabbed it and placed it in front of her. She checked from whom it came from and can’t help but grin a little when she saw that it was from her brother.

“To my lovely dongsaeng

Merry Christmas!

From your loving oppa”

She pulled on the ribbon and opened the box, gasping in surprise. It was some photo albums she had been asking for but since they were in America, there was no way of seeing it. On top was a sticky note and she read it.

“I gave you these because I know you’ve been wanting to see through it. Please all I’m asking for you is listen to my advice. I just don’t want failing you because I love you as my only sister. My real gift is on your desk. J”

Her head snapped up to look at her desk but she couldn’t see it clearly because it was dark so she got up and turned the lights on. On her desk lies a small rectangular box and she brought it up to look at it. Another note was stuck to it.

“Remember that I’ll just always be here for you, no matter what. I love you dongsaeng-ah.”

A smile curved on her lips as she opened the velvet box and there, she saw a simple yet expensive looking necklace. A letter J pendant adorned it with a small diamond was placed on the curve of the letter and it gleamed in the light.

Holding the necklace, she ran out her room and to her brother’s room. She knew her brother might be sleeping but it’s worth a try. She knocked softly and when no one answered, she slowly twisted the door open and peeked in, a shadow casting on her brother’s sleeping figure from the light outside. Quietly, she walked inside and smiled down on her brother who looked really tired while sleeping. Her lips curved slightly upwards before she whispered, “Thank you, oppa. I’ll treasure it. Saranghae.”

Before she exit the room, she planted soft kiss on her brother’s forehead before walking out the room and quietly closing the door and returning to her room.

She sat on her bed and as if her exhaustion went away, she brought out the photo albums and started looking through. The first one was when she was just a baby. There was a lot and she was happy that somehow, she remembered looking at the pictures way back. The second one was when she was already a toddler. She started attending preparatory schools. She had pictures taken with her classmates and friends. She suddenly wondered how they were doing.

The next one got her excited as she flipped it open and saw that she was a little older then. Maybe around elementary. It weren’t mostly school pictures though. Some were taken in parties and those are what caught her attention.

She found familiar faces that she had met during her party. Mostly were her parents friends in the business and she was amazed that they had been friends for that long. She continued scanning until a photo caught her attention. She brought up the album to look closely. Her eyes narrowed at a handsome and adorable boy playing with her together with other kids at a garden. They were all wearing something formal but of course being kids, nothing could hinder them when playing.

Excitement and exhilaration was for some reason running through her veins as she looked through the other pictures and still found the same boy. She tried tracing his face when she finally saw a group picture with the boy’s family at the table. The picture was from another party and they were quite older then, maybe eight or nine. It took her a minute or two until it came to her.

Her heart skipped a beat in recognition. The excitement she felt was overwhelming, all she wanted then is to look for that boy. Something was telling her that he could help her in answering some of her questions. She shut the photo album close before grabbing her phone. She opened her facebook account to check the pictures from her party more than a week ago. She scrolled through it, hoping that she would see that familiar face there, but she was let down when she didn’t find him. A glimmer of hope rise in her though when she saw his parents in a photo with them and read the caption.

“The Kim Family and Jeon Family”


A/N:

HI!

I know this is just a short chapter. I'm really sorry. I know too that it took time since I last updated. I was out of the house for two days and was too tired to edit chapters so it took a little more time.

I'll update soon though to make up for it. I'm hoping to update tomorrow but it's still not sure. I'm finalizing the next chapter so please look forward for it.

Thank you! <3

Oh and, to all Baekhyun biased there or EXO stans who are interested, I put up a new story about our Bacon. It's a spin-off of my cousin/aunt's story. She requested it from me so if you're interested, you can read it here. Thank you! :)