023

One More Day

The sky was in a shade of blue when they arrived in front of a one-storey white house. The sun was already about to rise but their bodies felt like night hasn't even begun as sleeping in the car ride wasn't very much comfortable. The car pulled up beside the staircase leading to the flat and those who have fallen asleep was shook awake.

Despite the fatigue she felt, she stayed awake all throughout the ride, her mind too troubled of thoughts hindering her for even a blink of sleep. They alighted the car as soon as everyone was conscious. Without a word, they grabbed all their things before walking up the flight of stairs to the house.

"You didn't sleep, did you?" The voice startled her as she turned her head to the side and found Jungkook with a tight smile. Embarrassed, she simply shook her head, afraid for her voice to crack for not speaking for hours if she talked. Jungkook placed a comforting arm around her shoulder and gave her a gentle squeeze. "Relax. Everything will be alright. I'm here, ain't I?" The assuring words brought little comfort but she was still thankful to be able to let out a breath.

"Uhm..." She said in thought, teasing Jungkook. Jungkook pouted, nudging her.

"What do you mean by that, huh?" Jungkook said, the pout still on his lips.

"Can't you two get any slower?"

The conversation was cut short when a deep voice came in between them, separating them apart. The two was pushed aside on different sides and Jungkook almost snapped on who it was until the voice registered in his mind. Joohyeon on the other hand frowned and rubbed her shoulder that hit the wall. She looked up to see the back of the dark brown haired boy, making her even annoyed. It wasn't her nature to bark out so she remained quiet.

"Don't mind him. He's just really like that," Jungkook said breaking her glare on the boy who heard what Jungkook had said and albeit the seemingly unpleasant words, smirked and proceeded on walking up the stairs. Joohyeon smiled a little and nodded.

"Wow hyung! You got a pretty nice place," Jimin exclaimed as he stared in awe the front lawn which had a mini garden with the ground filled with grass although it was topped with snow. At the right side stood a porch swing which Yoongi immediately raced to excitedly.

"You chose a very good place, Seokjin hyung. Thumbs up!" Yoongi grinned and Seokjin rolled his eyes at his childishness but a smirk came to his lips nevertheless.

"You boys would've woken up the neighbors if we have any," he remarked. It made them a little shocked as the realization hit them. Their heads turned to look around and indeed, there weren't any house nearby. The next house they could see would probably be a kilometer or so from them.

"Isn't this place spooky at night, hyung?" Hoseok piped in, feeling himself shudder at the thought of seeing ghosts.

"What do you think?" Seokjin turned to them before smirking before walking in the house. This made the others run fast inside the house without second thoughts.

 

The interior gave them the homey feeling, making them think that they'll not miss home as much as they thought they would. Upon entering the house, they saw pairs of house slippers lined on the floor with shoe racks at the sides instead of plain walls. It made them more excited to see what the house would offer them as it was clear that the place was really prepared for them. The living room welcomed them as soon as they opened the second door. The walls were painted in dirty white while the floors were made off sturdy wood that emitted heat as soon as they stepped on it, aiding their freezing bodies.

There was a flat screen TV planted on one wall with a three-sitter couch just opposite it. Connected to the living room was the dining area. The kitchen and dining room was separated by a counter. It was small and simple but it didn't matter as long as they have a place to stay for the next days or even weeks.

"So... We should start with the room designation," Namjoon said after they've scanned the whole living room to the kitchen area.

"Right," Seokjin said his lips in thought. "There are a total of four rooms. One room is relatively small compared to the other three but it isn't that small. Just enough for one person." Seokjin went on with the details about the rooms as they stood at the middle of the room, the corridor to the room just at their left.

Picking for a room had always been hard as they all wanted to have the bigger space or if not the room that they could have all to themselves, and the war began when Yoongi ran for one room. This made the others start running around except for Joohyeon who was just stunned and Seokjin who was cut in the middle of his talk. They watched the boys run around, pushing each other aside to get to their desired room.

"Sorry. They're still kids," Seokjin grinned, shrugging as voice boomed loudly from one room, saying, "I heard that!" The voice obviously coming from Hoseok. It made Joohyeon smile while Seokjin rolled his eyes with a lopesided smile. "Anyway, I was wondering what room you want to take?" and quickly adding, "Don't mind them. I could kick them out of the room," as he noticed Joohyeon in doubt.

"Ah... Not really. I'm okay with anything," Joohyeon said feeling no right of having the pleasure of picking a room for herself as she felt that she have burdened them enough.

Seokjin knew it. After knowing her for years, he knew how considerate Joohyeon could be. Even if she had something really in mind, she would disregard it for someone else's sake. And after the years she had been gone, she hadn't changed that quality of hers and he was glad. He figured she wouldn't really say anything even if he insisted so as to not make her feel more aweful for herself, he led her down to the corridor where the boys' voice continued to shake the house. Seokjin thought the small room would be enough for her knowing that she needs to have a room only to herself. It was also one of the things that made him choose the house. "Do you mind using the small room? It's not really small..." Seokjin trailed off as they locate the room.

"No, it's okay," Joohyeon said, smiling politely.

"Oh here it is." Seokjin stopped in front of the room and turned the doorknob open. "I bet the boys would all prefer to have--" Seokjin was cut short when the door was opened and who saw it occupied, and curious, Joohyeon peeked over his shoulder and found someone lying on the bed, busy pressing on his phone.

 

Taehyung really doesn't know what he wass doing but as soon as Yoongi ran for the rooms, he didn't think twice and looked for one specific room: the small room. It wasn't because he knew no one would probably want it but the thought that Joohyeon would most likely choose it. He just thought that it was a good oppurtunity to interact with the girl and hopefully, make her remember. When he found it, he immediately claimed it, shouting that its his and shut the door close. He scanned the room and found it pretty okay. It wasn't really small but not big either. It has a cabinet at one side, a dresser next to it and a small desk at one corner. It has a twin sized bed and a bedside table with a lamp on top of it. 

"Not bad." He muttered to himself before he heard the voice of Seokjin approaching. Hurrying, he lied on the bed and pretended to be busy with his phone. When he saw the doorknob twisting, he focused on his phone and when he found the door completely opened, he pretended to act disinterested, not looking up from his phone.

"My room. Look for another room," he said in a voice that was teasing, making Joohyeon annoyed once more. To be honest, she really wanted the small room because of two obvious reasons: the small room would be hard to fit two boys if they were to share since there weren't enough rooms and she could have it all to herself. But seeing another boy lying on bed crashed all that.

"Seriously, Tae..." The other boy shot him a glare so he continued, "...Hyung?" Seokjin sighed exasperatedly while Taehyung smiled victoriously to himself.

"It's okay oppa. I could just use some other room," Joohyeon said, not wanting to argue anymore as she was too tired for it. 

Taehyung was a little shocked to hear Joohyeon said. It wasn't how she easily backed down but how she called Seokjin 'oppa'. It wasn't that he was just jealous. Okay, maybe just a little, but the thing that came into his mind is the possibility that Joohyeon was slowly remembering.

"Are you sure? I could just kick this boy out, you know."

"No, really, it's okay," she said, a tired smile on her lips that Taehyung immediately noticed making him snap out of his thoughts and feel bad.

"Wait." Taehyung began, sitting up on the bed. The other two looked at him, Joohyeon with furrowed eyebrows. "I'll think of switching rooms but in one condition."

"And what is that?" Seokjin said, crossing his arms over his chest. Taehyung smirked and it sent Joohyeon a weird feeling that she chose to ignore as she her lips.

"Remember earlier at the restaurant?" Joohyeon knew what he wanted and she wasn't giving him the satisfaction as she not so discreetly rolled her eyes. 

"No thanks. I'd rather take the living room," Joohyeon said as she spun on her heels, too tired to even argue with him about such a trivial topic.

Jungkook witnessed everything as he stood at the opposite room's door and the expression on his face obviously shows that he wasn't  pleased with whatever Taehyung was trying to do. Taehyung mouthed a 'what' which the former just rolled his eyes to before following the girl.

"We need to talk."

Seokjin immediately shut the door after having the same expression as Jungkook wore and Taehyung just wanted to curse as he dropped to the bed, groaning inwardly.

 

An hour later, everyone had settled down in their rooms. Taehyung had transferred to share rooms with Jimin after a lot of explaining with Seokjin while Jungkook shared a room with Hoseok and Yoongi. Seokjin and Namjoon shared a room while Joohyeon got the small room to herself. They decided to rest in their rooms for a while and meet later for lunch.

Everyone was too tired that most of the boys had started to snore on their beds once their heads hit their pillows. The only three people awake was Namjoon, Taehyung and Joohyeon. Namjoon couldn't seem to sleep as he sat on his bed and played on his console while Taehyung just stared at the ceiling, his thoughts on the girl occupying the room diagonal to his. Joohyeon on the otherhand felt the exhaustion but she couldn't even sleep because of all the thoughts running in her mind. 

After the call at the telephone booth earlier, she wasn't completely sure if it was a success or not. She had called Jongin, knowing he would listen to her and would understand her decisions best. Their ages as well as Sehun's didn't go as far as compared to the rest and Jongin is like her best friend among the eleven boys, excluding her brother. Jongin just obviously woke up when she called and albeit feeling guilty, she had to talk to him so after apologizing, she went to the main point.

"Oppa, it's me, Joohyeon."

"Hmm... Joohyeon... What made you call?" Jongin's voice was thick with sleep but the next words that came out Joohyeon's mouth made him wide awake.

"I'm sorry for waking you up but I need your help." The urgency in her voice made him worry as he sat up from his bed.

"What is it? Are you alright? Did you get in trouble? Wait, you are not hurt anywhere, right?" The continuous questions made Joohyeon somehow smile as she knew she called the right person.

"No, not like that but I'm in somewhat a trouble."

"Trouble? What trouble? Wait, I'm going to be there. Just wait--" Joohyeon had cut him off as soon as she heard Jongin scrambling to get up from bed.

"NO. STOP." It made Jongin really stop as Joohyeon sighed outloud. "I don't know how to say this but I kind of ran away."

"WHAT?!" It made Joohyeon put the phone away from her ears. "What do you think are you doing?! Does hyung know? Aren't you supposed to be on your flight to America by now?" Jongin was in the middle of hysterics but calmed down as soon as he realized what he was doing.

They let a minute passin silence before Joohyeon continued. "Are okay now? Can you just listen to me first?" Joohyeon comfortably and informally said as she was that at ease when it comes to Jongin.

"Okay. I'll listen but make sure what you'll be saying is valid Kim Joohyeon." Joohyeon then began explaining to him everything while intercepting once in a while as he couldn't stop himself after knowing she ran off with guys.

"I called you because I know you'll understand. You do, right?" Joohyeon said, hope in her voice and Jongin massaged the bridge of his nose with his free hand feeling the burden of saying yes and no.

His answer would have come easily if it was way back, when things were more normal, when everytime she goes out, they don't worry that something might happen to her. He could have said that he would help her right away if he wasn't worried that she would end hurting herself in the end. As much as he wanted to be the same old Jongin that he was to Joohyeon, circumstances now made it hard for him.

He understood well that she wanted to just find herself but what he can't seem to agree with is her choice to run away as it could be dangerous for her. But he knew right then that Joohyeon called him because she trusted that he would understand and right now, that's what she needed, assurance. 

"I understand what you wanted to do but what you're doing is dangerous... I..."

"Oppa, please..."

Jongin thought for a moment, weighing his decisions. "Damn it. Okay, I get it. Just please Joohyeon, take care of yourself. I really wouldn't know what to do if something bad happens to you. I know whatever I say would not stop you so I'll just trust you that you'll come back here in one piece. If anything happens, if you need help or anything, don't hesitate to call me, okay?" Jongin said and Joohyeon smiled.

"Yes, thank you Jongin. I'll trust you with this, okay? I need to go. I'll try to call whenever I get the chance. Bye." 

She wasn't completely sure if Joonmyeon had found her letter yet but she was sure that he had contacted all her oppas. Joohyeon trusted that Jongin and she would just put her faith on him. For now, she needs to use her time wisely before they get spotted by her family as she knows it'll be soon that her brother would find where they are. Half an hour later, her body gave away and dreamt of the same dream about a boy and a girl.

 

She had woken up a little past eleven in the morning. Carefully, she sat up from the bed, feeling her head ache. She had that dream again and she was brought to that same question every time she gets that dream: Was it really just a dream? She shook the thought away as she rubbed her eyes. The house was still quiet but she could hear somebody cooking. Without much thought, she got up from her bed, tie her hair up in a ponytail and walked to the kitchen.

A back was facing her once she entered and she knew immediately that it was Seokjin with the height and how he stood. It caught her by surprise that she noticed that detail very fast even if they've known each other for just a while, until she thought that maybe, just maybe, she was right. This isn't the first time at all that she's with them. The latter noticed the other presence so he looked around breaking her trance as she blinked in surprise as they made eye contact. Seokjin though was delighted to see her. He noticed the expression of her face that looked like she was thinking and he hoped that it was because she remembered something, just anything.

"Hi, you're already up?" Seokjin smiled and Joohyeon nodded, returning a genuine smile as she returned to her senses. She approached him, looking at what he was cooking. Seokjin immediately felt embarrassed since he couldn't really cook. He could muster up just simple dishes. "I hope omurice is alright." 

"What? It's okay! Don't worry about me." She smiled. "Do you want help?" Joohyeon asked as she had nothing else to do and she didn't want to be a freeloader.

"Don't worry. I can handle it," he said but as soon as he said it, he was stung by the oil and flinched.

"Are you okay?" Joohyeon asked in worry and Seokjin grinned, nodding.

"I'm okay. It's nothing. I'm strong, you know." Joohyeon playfully rolled her eyes, smiling.

"Know what, I insist." Seokjin looked at her and she already grabbed an apron and wore it on herself.

"Are you sure you could cook?" Seokjin said, teasingly and Joohyeon grinned.

"Well, I guess. Let's see," she smiled, shrugging and Seokjin stifled a laugh as they shared the duties between themselves.

 

At twelve-thirty, everybody was already up and gathered around the dining area and counter top since the table couldn't fit them all.

"Are you sure this is edible, hyung?" Hoseok said.

"You taste it," Seokjin said smirking as Joohyeon and Seokjin exchanged looks. They didn't tell them that Joohyeon helped in cooking, instead helped with cleaning the dishes.

"Let's see," Jimin said as he took a bite. The expression on his face made the others anticipate. 

"How does it taste?" Namjoon asked. Jimin pretended it which made Joohyeon panic inside but when Jimin slowly grinned, she let out a breath which Taehyung noticed. Immediately, the others took a bite of their own and was surprised how Seokjin's cooking improved but only Taehyung knew who really cooked it. It wasn't because Joohyeon acted suspicious but because he knew the taste very well even if the taste improved compared to the last time he tasted it. 

Taehyung chewed his food slowly as he looked up and met eyes with Joohyeon. Both wore straight faces although Taehyung could see the underlying emotion she wore. He knew she was waiting whether he liked the taste or not, like she was waiting for everybody else's. He also knew that she was still conflicted about her thoughts about him. It still hurt him that he had to hurt her in some way but this is the only way he could remind her of the past, of their past.

The contact was cut when Yoongi called her and Joohyeon looked away. He diverted his look and found Jungkook looking at him and he knew right away what Jungkook was trying to say with his eyes and he knew that Jungkook didn't need to remind him because more than anybody in that room, he's the one who loves her the most.

 

The day passed by in a blur. They spent most of their time just joking around. They played foolish games just to keep them busy. It wasn't much but Joohyeon was thankful to forget even for a while the burden of hiding from her own family. They took their dinner at seven in the evening and since there wasn't much to do, they decided to call it a day and returned to their rooms at nine in the evening. As everybody had settled back in their rooms, Seokjin shared to Namjoon what Taehyung was trying to do and they tried to come up with ways to help Joohyeon in remembering. The three boys who shared a room was busy unpacking. Jimin had quickly fell asleep a few minutes after they washed up.

When the clock striked twelve, most of them had fallen asleep but Taehyung was wide awake. He can't help but think of how he was so close to Joohyeon but still feel distant. He spent the afternoon with her but he didn't even get the courage to strike a conversation with her. He groaned, rolling over his bed at how pathetic he seems. A pillow fell to his face making him stop. Sighing, he grabbed the pillow away from his face and sat up. He needed fresh air to clear his mind.

Rising up from the bed, he saw Jimin sprawled on his bed and he shook his head, fixing the blanket over him before grabbing a jacket and quietly walking out the room. It was dark as he stepped out, the only light was from the moonlight that streamed inside through the window. He scanned the room and it was empty so he continued towards the door and outside where the harsh wind welcomed him as soon as he opened the door. He hugged himself before turning to the left only to be halted as he saw a figure with long hair sitting on the porch swing. He felt the hair on his back raise. With stealthy steps, he approached the figure when a crashing sound made him gasp. 

He turned around and found a cat just running past. He let a sigh of relief and turned to be shocked to meet with a pairs of eyes that almost made him scream if not the figure covered his mouth.

"Yah, it's me." He felt himself relax hearing the voice. Their eyes met once again and Taehyung's eyes cast down to the hand on his mouth and the other let go of him, feeling awkward with their position as she noticed it too. 

In embarrassment, he cleared his throat. "What are you even doing here at this hour?" He said with a hint of irritation as to mask how afraid he got just some moments ago.

"I should ask you the same thing," Joohyeon said crossing her arms over her chest. It made him speechless before he cleared his throat once again.

"Whatever. Go in before you catch a cold," he said, his cheeks turning pink as he said it.

Joohyeon felt the corner of her lips curling upward. "Are you worried I might get sick?" Joohyeon said teasingly.

"W-What? Of course not! I just don't want the guys to get mad at me if something happens to you." He strode away towards the porch swing and sat there, his cheeks feeling warm. She smirked before turning around to look at him once again.

"Don't stay out too long as well. I don't want the guys to get mad at me if something happens to you," she mimicked before entering the house, a smile on her lips. "So he is a scaredy cat, huh."

"Yah, I heard that."

"You were supposed to."

Taehyung stopped himself on saying more as he watched her as she entered the house and let out a breath, a smile spreading to his lips after she was out of sight. His hand immediately reached to his chest and felt his heart beating fast, something he hadn't felt for so long. He didn't know that even after all the years that he had been with her, he would still feel all those butterflies, as weird as it may sound. It was a pleasant feeling he missed.

"So she hasn't changed..." A smile came to his lips as he shook his head. At least he was reassured that his Joohyeon is still there.

He stayed outside in the cold for a few more minutes replaying in his mind what had just happened over and over before going back inside, sleeping in peace after so long.

 

The next morning, they had all gathered in the dining area for breakfast. Seokjin who excused himself went back after a minute of being gone, a phone in his hand. All of them turned their attention on him as he raised the phone for them to see. 

"Hey, isn't that your sister's?" Hoseok said, pointing at the phone.

"Yup, it's hers, and this is the phone we'll be using for the mean time. As we all know, we couldn't all stay here because our parents would surely all look for us. There would be days some of us would go back. We will take turns on doing this to check on how it is back in Seoul. To help with the communication since we really couldn't use our phone right now, we have this. I bet all of us have my sister's number so that's not a problem. If you have any concerns, you can use this but be careful because this is the only phone we've got and when they track this, we will have no choice but turn it off." 

They listened attentively and nodded in understanding. Out of all of them, it was Joohyeon who stared at the phone really hard. She had the urge of calling her brother but she knew she had to stop herself so she looked away and continued on her meal feeling a sudden lump in .

It was really hard. Besides the point that she practically ran away from home and somehow lied about going to the washroom, it was the very first time they parted like this. She felt like she betrayed her brother who trusted her. Now, what would she do when she returns? For sure, she had broken his trust on her and that is what she feared most. It wasn't how Joonmyeon would probably get mad and scold her for her actions but for him to no longer think of her as trustworthy. It hurt to think that way but she had to swallow all that up because there no going back and undoing everything. If anything, she needs to find what she is really looking for--herself--just so that all of this and what would happen when she returns wouldn't really be a waste. She took a deep breath and swallowed the choke back as tears formed at her eyes and she discretely blinked them away and rubbed her eyes, trying to act as nonchalant as possible.

But even with all the effort, there was still someone who noticed her. Taehyung felt his heart ache at the sight of her on the verge of tears and trying to hide it and he stopped himself from going over to her and wipe the tears away. He dried his lips and bit his lower lip as he watched her. He was glad she was too preoccupied to notice him staring worriedly at her. But maybe she should see so that it wouldn't be hard on him to tell her who he really is, that he, in fact, was her boyfriend, in the past that is. The thought placed a lump in his throat that he couldn't swallow even if he tried. They never ended it and he didn't want to think of ever doing so but knowing that she had a new boyfriend, he really doesn't know how to make of that. Maybe, for now, he could just wallow on the fact that they still are together, although it looked like he was deceiving himself but it was harder to think that they aren't. All he could do for now is just watch over her quietly and maybe when the right time comes, he could slowly introduce himself by dropping hints hoping she would figure it out herself. He didn't want her to freak out, knowing how she really isn't in the right shape yet. He let out a loud sigh unconsciously, so confused and frustrated and luckily, nobody much paid attention to him because they were busy enjoying their breakfast cooked by Joohyeon, only they didn't know.

His train of thoughts ended and followed by a jump in his heart as they were all surprised when the phone started ringing and they all looked up to Seokjin who stared at the phone screen and back to them.


A/N:

Waddup guys? I know it's been a while but guess what? It's already my vacation! That means I could update as often as I could. I'm really sorry for letting you wait but I just had really no time to write. I hope you understand.

Anyhow, sorry if the chapter is boring. I'm trying to build up the moment still. Please be patient with me. 

Thank you for reading! Comments will always be welcome! :)

Before I go, I just want to greet Chanyeol a very happy birthday! I love you!

**PS. I was supposed to update this on Chanyeol's birthday meaning, I've finished typing it that day. I guess I just forgot to unhide it. Oops. Peace everyone ^^