The Last Judgment

Misfire

 

 chapter forty-five

The Last Judgment

 


 

“What do you think?”

“She hasn’t done anything to impress us and her thoughts are uncorrupted. For me she definitely failed.”

The female demon agreed, “for me too”

And both turned towards Chen, who had been hearing the conversation, but haven’t said a single word. He wasn’t sure what to say so he just listened.

At the moment, the three demons were back in Hell. They had enough of watching the apprentice. Her acts didn’t reflect hatred or envy, nothing similar like a normal demon would. The Council members had enough just by observing her useless and nonsensical acts, waiting for her to do something bad, or at least, thought of it.

Not only, she didn’t act and behaved like a demon, but also she felt comfortable like a human. She looked like she belongs with them, and this made the two members disgusted. She looked happier, yet uncomfortable by their presence, but it didn’t stop her smiling.

She looked contented.

And never before they had seen such a face in an apprentice and much less in a demon. The only one who had a similar expression, almost exactly, was Alice’s father. But the two demons didn’t know they were related.

They couldn’t believe it was happening again. And they would make sure it won’t happen ever again.

“Chen, whatever you say you know it’s already decided,” the female demon added. She was gorgeous, but dangerous. Her lips were colored into a deep and notorious red and her eyelashes were long and defined. Her hair was short, up to her shoulders, and its color was red, but a dark red, similar to the wine’s color. And the color of her face was a bit tanned. But her eyes, her big and deep purple eyes, were intimidating. Just by looking at her at the eyes angels, humans and even most demons felt daunted.

But Chen didn’t.

“I know, Gomory.”

Gomory. That is the female’s demon name. Demons just by hearing her name felt scared because the female always gets what she wants. Even if it leads her to kill, she’s willing to murder for her own pleasure.

The last member’s name was Pyro, who was a pro in lying. You can’t be sure when either he’s joking or lying. And its gaze fools you every time you share a conversation with him. His physical appearance was rather normal. He wasn’t handsome or tall. Pyro had average looks, but a cold heart and discouraging look in his red small eyes.

“You have to do the Last Judgment, Chen,” Pyro said, “You are in charge of that”

And, in this case, Chen wished he didn’t. He wished he wasn’t the one who had to give Alice the news. And he wished he wasn’t in charge of giving the Last Judgment. But it was his duty as a Council’s Hell member. Chen was the head of the three, but even if he had a more important spot, he couldn’t do anything when two members agree and he didn’t. The majority defines the final decision.

“Ok,” Chen breathed in and out, “Apprentice number three known by the name Alice due to a unanimous decision…she failed the exam”

 

Alice, who was taking a break, was sitting at the table next to the window of the coffee shop. She was looking outside hypnotized by the people passing and the pouring rain. Most people were running and others were walking calmly with their umbrellas.

This was the first time she was so into the rain. The sad yet so beautiful rain.

The rain brings melancholy, sadness and bad news. That was her mother told her. But also it embellishes the nature. Thanks to it the flowers, trees and the forest got its mesmerizing color and uniqueness. The rain beautifies and saddens your soul.

Maybe it was a hidden message. Maybe the rain was trying to communicate with her.

Alice scoffed with her ridiculous thoughts. It wasn’t possible. Even if the rain reflected sorrow, it couldn’t possibly be directed to her. It wasn’t like the movies where the main character suffers from heartbreak or a tragedy and it starts to rain.

It wasn’t like the movies or dramas. This was the real world. It only happens on screen to create a better background and to evoke feelings on the beholder’s eyes.

But in that moment, she spotted Xiumin and …. Chen? It was Chen! She hasn’t seen him in a long time and there he was, standing at the top’s building located in front of her. Maybe they had news for her.

But Alice had a feeling it wasn’t good news.

Alice made signals to them to wait until she finishes working, which will be soon.

In the moment when the shop was supposed to be closing, Alice excused herself, took two umbrellas and head out. It was still raining. She looked up and saw them still there, standing under the rain. How they could be so careless and stand under the rain like it doesn’t affect them and without an umbrella?!

Demons can get sick just by standing under the rain, Alice. She heard Xiumin talked. He was communicating by telepathy.

The mentioned demon didn’t have the ability to read minds, but he guessed Alice’s thoughts just by paying attention to her facial features. He knew her pretty well.

Follow us. Chen talked by telepathy too.

Sometimes Alice wished she had that ability: telepathy, but only full-born-demons posses that kind of power. Nor apprentices neither applicant who passed the test. And much less someone like her: a half-demon half-human.

And she followed them. Both demons headed towards a park. A very know park by her. How many times had she been there? Many. Maybe it was because it was the nearest place where people can have a proper conversation without someone interrupting.  A calm place.

The moment she face Chen, Alice smiled. A smile that says it’s good to see you again. And Chen smiled back, but it was rather a force smile. Alice turned to look at Xiumin and received from him a small grin. Usually Xiumin’s smiles are wider and cheerful, but this one wasn’t.

And Alice had presumptions about it. The reason behind their decayed smiles.

“Here.” Alice gave them the left umbrella she was holding. Xiumin and Chen had their clothes’ drenched and Alice couldn’t bear to see them like that. At least, she can give them the extra umbrella she took. Chen took it, opened it and placed in at the top of both demons head, protecting them to get drenched further. Xiumin evoke a spell to dry their clothes, and in a blink of eye the water pouring from their clothes evaporated.

“Alice,” Xiumin whispered. He didn’t know how to tell her. How was he supposed to tell her she failed the exam?! And the gaze she gave him wasn’t helping at all. That kind and soft gaze she had made Xiumin uneasy.

He didn’t want to crash that soft gaze and fragile smile of hers.

“Alice, we came here to tell you about the exam,” Chen completed.

Alice nodded. “I failed, right?”

And what surprised both demons the most wasn’t the fact she already knew, but the fact she was still smiling. It was like she already knew and it didn’t affect her at all!

“Y-You know?” Xiumin hesitated. Alice remained silent and looked at Chen directly at his eyes. And the latter got the message immediately.

“You knew all along you were being tested, right?” Chen said.

“Maybe. I guessed it”

And her words surprised both demons. Alice knew it, she knew she was being tested and observed, but didn’t nothing about it.

They comprehended her reasons. They couldn’t force her to do something she didn’t feel comfortable with. They couldn’t force to be a demon. They couldn’t force her to hurt someone. It was her personality. Those weren’t her intentions at all.

“What do guys know about Azazel?” Alice asked. She still felt curiosity about her tutor, even a little.

“He knows you failed, but he asked us to tell you instead,” Chen answered.

“He was mad and I bet he doesn’t want to see you again,” Xiumin complemented.

Good then. Alice didn’t want to see him either. They didn’t have a good relationship, so it didn’t affect her at all. And this was what Alice was thinking all the time about her tutor, all her doubts and thoughts about him were correct: just because he was chosen to be her tutor, he was indeed forced, he followed her progress. But there wasn’t any progress to watch or follow. Alice’s personality towards most of the demons didn’t change and neither did her perspective towards them.

At least, it was a relief she didn’t have to see him again.

“Have my punishment been decided?” Alice asked directing her question towards Chen. Xiumin also turned towards his friend. He was also curious about the penalty Alice had to face, because Chen hasn’t mentioned anything about it, until now.

“Yes, it’s already decided,” Chen whispered.

And Alice knew it won’t be pleasant to hear what her punishment was about. But she´ll have to face the consequences for her acts.  Her actions that lead her to failure.

And know she was strong enough to endure the pain. She was prepared physically and emotionally. Alice wasn’t afraid anymore just like some months ago.

She already assumed things will be turning out like this. And she was ok with her decisions. She didn’t regret anything at all.

She felt contented so far.