Rueful

Misfire

 

 chapter thirty-three

Rueful


 

The day after the visit, during Saturday’s morning, Jinwoo was discharged from the hospital and he was able to reintegrate with his other classmates. Even if he only had less than a day to catch up with the project Jinwoo has supposed to do during the trip. He could do it. He was smart after all.

During the visit the six boys and the two apprentices made, one of them, one of the boys, not only visited his friend’s little brother, but also someone who was hospitalized there. Lu Han took the chance to visit his mother and due to not spending so much time with her, the boy promised her to visit her the next day.

“You are leaving already?” Sehun asked as he noticed Lu Han tying his shoes. The latter didn’t lift his gaze but nodded in response.

“Tell her I say hi.” Both, Sehun and Lu Han, laughed at the younger’s statement.

“I’ll do it.” Soon Lu Han’s tone changed to a monotone and gloomy one.

Every day, Lu Han was aware that his mother condition was getting worst. Her disease was developing faster during the last years. He was getting paler, weaker, and her gaze showed nothing but anxiety and oppression even when the female tried to smile. It was obvious, it was easily to recognize, her true feelings. Her dull emotions. At least, his only son’s visits brighten her day a bit.

Alice came out from her room and noticed Lu Han and Sehun talking. She was about to head towards the kitchen when one of them called her. Alice recognized Sehun’s deep voice, so the female walked near them. The moment the apprentice reached them, Alice noticed Lu Han wearing his sneakers. He was about to go out.

“Are you leaving?” Alice asked as the put her hands inside her jacket’s pocket.

“I’m visiting my mom.” Alice mouthed a small but visible “Ohh” as a reply.

Sehun gaze at his friend and then smirked. He had an idea. The mentioned boy turned towards Alice and asked her something.

“Alice, why don’t you go with Lu Han?” Alice didn’t expect Sehun asking her that. She was speechless for a few seconds.

“Lu Han’s mother is really kind in case you wonder”

“Why don’t you go instead?” Alice wasn’t meaning to be rude with Sehun. It was just a bit difficult for her staying alone with Lu Han because she already knew she had feelings for him. She knew she would get a bit nervous. But not only the demon-apprentice, but also the mentioned boy: Lu Han.

Sehun smirked in response. A little lie will not hurt her. “I have to prepare an essay due next week.” Lu Han, who knew his friend was lying, giggled.

Alice bit her lower lip in anxiety. She wasn’t sure what to answer so she turned towards Lu Han searching for a response from him.

“I don’t mind if you ask. You already accompanied me once, remember?” Alice nodded and Sehun raised an eyebrow playfully to his older friend. Lu Han haven’t mentioned Sehun that Alice visited the first’s mother before.

“I guess so,” Alice added as she bit her lower lips softly.  

 

-

 

After the fast trip in the bus, the boy and the demon-girl arrived to the hospital.

Lu Han started walking ahead, Alice following him from behind, when his steps fasten hers did too, when his steps got slower so hers did.

Alice was about to leave towards the waiting room, she didn’t want to disturbs Lu Han’s mother or Lu Han by accompanying the latter, but the mentioned guy stopped her.

“Come with me,” He said with a soft tone as he turned and walked towards the elevator. Alice followed him.

Lu Han pressed the button: floor number five. And they waited until the elevator’s door opened then both entered. They were the only ones inside it.

He was looking ahead; he was looking at the elevator’s door, waiting the elevator to reach the certain floor. Alice, instead, was looking at Lu Han from the corner of her eye. She was watching him carefully. “I could have waited downstairs,” the girl saw how his lips started forming a visible smirk as she continued talking, “I don’t want to disturb you”

“You won’t.”

Alice bit her lower lip to prevent herself from smiling and her gaze felt towards the floor. She noticed that Lu Han’s tone was kind, sweet and caring. She couldn’t prevent her heart to beat faster with just a simple but meaningful statement.

Lu Han turned slightly to take a look on her and noticed her cheeks in a redden color. He smiled too as he noticed the elevator reached the fifth floor. He left it first, because he noticed Alice was following him silently all this time, so it’d turn awkward if he waits for her to leave the elevator first. And, as expected, the moment Lu Han started walking so did Alice.

The moment Lu Han and Alice reached the searched room, the first knocked then the female inside whispered and audible but weak “Come in.” Even with those two words, her accent was a bit notorious. The mentioned boy opened the door slowly as he murmured “Mom, I’m here”

The moment Alice heard the older female’s voice, not only she shivered due to nervousness because she had never seen her before, but also the apprentice noticed the sadness on her tone. The plain, sad and weak tone Lu Han’s mother used was full with sorrow. Alice expected to see her with a gloomy and thoughtful gaze, but instead the demon was welcome with a warm smile that made her heart weak and hurt. That woman lying on the mattress of the white and pure room was smiling, she looked merry, but her eyes and her aura told Alice otherwise.

“Is she your friend, Lu Han?” Alice heard her asked as she stepped in. 

Lu Han nodded as he looked at her and smiled in an almost visible way. “She’s Alice.” The mentioned female turned towards to Lu Han then smiled first at him and then at the older female and bowed slightly. Alice saw his mother sincere smile, but she was sure it was a disguise. Alice knew she was in pain.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Alice”

“The pleasure it’s mine.”

As Alice spoke, she noticed Lu Han’s mother features; her pale skin, her deep and big eyes, her pale but beautiful lips, her short and black hair, her small eyebrows, her long eyelashes and her long and skinny fingers. She noticed all of this in just a few seconds.

“Please sit down,” Lu Han’s mother said as she motioned them, her son and Alice, to sit next in the couch next to hers. The moment after they sat Lu Han spoke.

“Did they show you the results?” His mother shook her head in response.

“The doctors told me they will show me later. Today but in the night.” Lu Han nodded, but Alice noticed his morose behavior from the time they arrived. He was also in pain. Alice wanted to help both, but…. There was something she could possible do?

“Lu Han, can you please bring me a bottle of water, please? The one I had, I already finished it,” Lu Han’s mother asked as she looked into her son’s big eyes. The boy nodded, stood up and left the room. Now the only ones inside where the older female and the apprentice.

Lu Han’s mother stared at Alice. The first noticed how her son looks at her and how Alice looks at him too. Kindness, sincerity, simplicity with a pinch of blithe and maybe love. In that moment, Lu Han’s mother also got aware that they liked each other.

“Alice?” the mentioned turned facing the older female, “Yes?”

“Please, take care of him,” Lu Han’s mother smiled sadly. Alice got quiet because she knew what his mother was referring to. There wasn’t much time left for her. It hurt Alice as she realized, her heart hurt.

“The doctors already showed me the results of my exams and it wasn’t pleasant to read them,” Lu Han’s mother gaze felt.

“If you don’t mind, could you please tell me about it?” The older female nodded. No one besides Lu Han, Sehun or Sulli knew about it. About the disease she was fighting for five years already. The disease that made her weaker and create so many regrets in life. Lu Han’s mother still had so many things she wanted to do, but she couldn’t anymore. She created so many regrets in her mind. And all the time she realized she was settle in that hospital’s room, in that hospital’s bed with that disease, Lu Han’s mother felt rueful.

“When Lu Han was eighteen, I was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I had to leave work and due to that Lu Han had to find a job to help me and Sehun, who was still in school. Because of me, my son had to ditch two years from going to college because he had to work and deal with the housework. He had to face lots of responsibilities at his age, from paying the house’s debts, bringing food to the table, working and else,” Lu Han’s mother stopped and sighed.

“But you’re proud of him,” Alice added as she smiled at the sincere tone the female next to her had been speaking, “Lu Han is such a honest, smart and determined person and because of that he was able to face the complicated life you had to overcome”

Lu Han’s mother smiled widely. She just noticed why his son likes her. Alice was a genuine and warmhearted person. “Indeed he is”

“Don’t tell him yet, ok?” The apprentice only nodded. Alice couldn’t understand the reason for hiding such an important new from Lu Han. It was a painful one, but it was the reality he couldn’t avoid. Also sooner or later he’ll find out, but his mother chose later.

In that moment, the door fluttered open and Lu Han came inside. “Here,” the boy handed his mother the bottle of water she asked for, “It took me a while to find a vending machine.”

“It’s ok and thanks you.” Lu Han smiled to his mother tenderly. In that smile, Alice noticed he really loves his mother and cares for her a lot. Just like she did.

“You didn’t buy something for me?” Alice asked with a hopeful gaze.

“Y-You didn’t ask for a-anything,” Lu Han shuddered, “How was I supposed to know you wanted something?”

Alice giggled as well as his mother, “I was just joking, Lu Han. You know I would never abuse of your hospitality.”

Lu Han, in response, smirked. What else did he expected? It was predictable from Alice.

After a few minutes of talking, in which mostly Lu Han and his mother talked, Alice listening everything, the pair had to leave.

“I’ll come to see you next week, ok?” Lu Han’s mother smile softly and nodded. Alice, instead, had a fear gaze as Lu Han’s words came out. He wasn’t aware that his mother’s state was pretty bad yet. Anything could happen in less than a week.

The older female noticed Alice’s uneasy gaze and to appease the younger female she mouthed a simple but meaningful, “Don’t worry.” The way the older smiled was full with simplicity and no fear. How someone could be that brave? She wasn’t afraid at all. She didn’t hesitate at all. Alice sighed softly and smiled afterwards.

Everything would be ok.