Busted

Misfire

 

 chapter forty-four

Busted

 


 

Alice was walking around a grocery shop in the vegetables section.  Sulli asked her to buy some ingredients for today’s meal this morning.  And because she was already used to the places, Alice decided to go alone.

But she wasn’t alone. Someone was following her, but she wasn’t able to see them. Three demons were watching her movements and testing her. But not only were they scanning her progressing, but also her thoughts and gestures. Even if an apprentice doesn’t harm physically someone, their thoughts reveal their intentions.

Neither in Alice’s actions nor thoughts she would hurt or trouble someone. She wasn’t that kind of person. But The Council didn’t know that, only Chen.

And he was whishing she realizes she was being tested. Because in that way Alice could, at least pretend, she was willing to be a demon.

Alice left the shop with a small bag. She walked slowly and calmly. Once again, she felt being observed, but this time stronger and more intimidating that made her kind of dizzy. Her stability was affected by The Council’s hidden presence.

And because of that she collided with someone making the stranger felt.

“I’m sorry,” Alice bowed and helped the woman stand up, “I wasn’t paying attention”

“Be careful next time!” the woman yelled. She was pretty annoyed. “You should look up as you walk!”

“I’m sorry,” Alice apologized one again and bowed.

The woman looked at Alice with a irritated gaze and walked ahead, but at the moment she was about to pass Alice, the woman bumped the apprentice making her lost her balance and backed a little.

Come on, Alice. You should think and act like a demon would, Chen thought.

Alice bit her lower lip and continued her way. I should be more careful.

The Council followed her. And they were not pleased with her acts or thoughts. Not even once the girl had thought something bad regarding the woman who just yelled at her. A normal demon apprentice or even a full-demon would have insulted her in their minds or even hurt her with spells, but Alice didn’t. She accepted it was her fault. She accepted she was distracted and assumed the guilt.

A demon wouldn’t have accepted it was their mistake. A demon would have blamed anyone. A demon would have hurt the woman with their thoughts or acts.

Yet Alice didn’t do either of the things mentioned, but remained silent.

And she was failing. Little by little she was because she wasn’t making the proper impression with her acts.

“That girl”, the female member smirked, “she’s doing all wrong”

“If she continues like this, she’ll fail for sure”

Chen was worried. The other two members were right. Why she couldn’t be a little like Rea? The latter was just tested last week and she did well. Rea passed the exam. Just by analyzing her thoughts she was able to pass. Her thoughts were full with madness, envy and hatred, and that was all what she needed to impressed the three members.

Chen knew Alice had a soft exterior. Her human disguise was delicate and kind, but her demon disguise was stronger and determinate.

And somehow, he knew she wasn’t going to pass. Chen knew Alice was an honest girl. He couldn’t ask or whish she hurts someone, because she won’t do it. Simple. She didn’t belong to their world. She didn’t belong in the world he lived. A place full with hatred, lust, envy and selfishness.

He had no other choice by continue watching her.

Alice continued feeling uneasy as she walked. She knew someone was following her and watching her. She was sure of it.

And she had a vague idea.

The apprentice recognized the mixture feeling that aura emanates. It was powerful and penetrating. Intimidating and dark. And she thought about a demon. Not one but several. Maybe around two or three? But not more than five, she was sure.

And if it was The Council following her, she won’t pretend something she wasn’t.

Alice thought of The Council because she remembered the talk she had with Xiumin. The Council was really up to something.

“We lost contact one month ago,” Xiumin took a deep breath and then exhaled, “They must be up to something. Never before I had heard the Council having troubles…This is the first time”

Alice nodded in agreement. From the selected books in Hell she had read, the ones that interested the most, neither of them ever stated the Council had problems before and decided to postpone the exam. Neither of them ever mentioned a single detail similar as what was happening now.

Everything had started making sense now. Maybe they are really up to something.

She wasn’t afraid. She knew she had to confront them. Her decisions weren’t correct for someone like her, someone who was aspirating of becoming a demon. But she didn’t care anymore. She wasn’t nervous anymore. She had no fears anymore.

She found comfort and happiness in Earth. She found amity and love. And because of this she was able to overcome her fears. She didn’t feel lonely and hated. Alice felt lighter and liver. And she was willing to suffer the consequences, because she already made up her mind.

She’ll fail and there’s no way back.

 

“Alice?”

She turned towards Sulli and smiled.

“The Guardians are investigating about the presence you told me,” Sulli smiled.

Alice nodded and whispered, “Thank you”

She couldn’t tell Sulli about her presumptions. It just would make Sulli more worried and Alice didn’t want that. Alice didn’t want Sulli to feel pressure, guilty or worried. Sulli was a nice girl and Alice didn’t want to hurt her.

Sulli was her best friend. And hurting your closest friend it’s not ok. Making worry someone who cares deeply for you made Alice feel uneasy, even if relationships are based by that: worry, happiness and angry, Alice couldn’t bare with the pressure of telling Sulli she already made up her mind on giving up.

It would make the angel sadder.

Alice wanted to maintain that beautiful smile of hers even just for a few days.

In that moment, Lu Han appeared from his room. Alice was waiting him to head towards work. And after the small wait they headed towards that place, the coffee shop where both work.

In their way, Lu Han took Alice hand and waked hand by hand. Even if they walk in silent, they find comfort just by each other presence. They felt comfortable just by knowing they were beside each other.

“For me she already failed,” the one of the demon said, “she’s even holding hands with a human!”

“Wait. I want to see further how she behaves,” the female added, “maybe she’s up to something”

“I don’t think so. It looks like that apprentice had fallen for that human”

“Tragic and sad,” the female demon said full with irony and a visible smirk in her lips, “She has been busted!”

Chen remained silent, but got aware of Lu Han and Alice’s feelings. At first, he didn’t believe when Xiumin told him about it, but now that he’s seeing it with his own eyes, he doesn’t know it to feel happy for them or sad for Alice. She’s facing the same experience as her father! Falling for a human is not allowed in Hell. But Chen was ok with it because Alice was happier, just like her father was.

 


 author's note 

» The ending is near... T-T I planned 50 chapters . I won't update until Sunday, so that's why I reveal 3 chapters :D

Give your thoughts about the fic in the comments <3 reading your thoughts inspires me to write more. Also updates are welcome and loved! Give this fic your love by upvoting and commenting. ;) Feel free to do it, I'm not pushing you to do it.

Have a great day!