Irrational Side

Pink and Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Naeun momentarily stopped when she saw Suzy and the latter stiffened upon gazing at her as well. The former then made a polite bow at her in greeting which Suzy responded with the same gesture. Soojin then asked them, “Do you know each other?

As Suji was lost in trying to find the right words, Naeun spoke, “No. We don’t know each other that much.”

“Ah, I see,” Soojin brushed off the awkward atmosphere that formed between the two. With a smile, she questioned Naeun, “What brings you here? I don’t think it’s an emergency.”

Naeun shyly smiled, “I wanted to give you the dessert that I made.”

“You didn’t have to,” Soojin gave her a worried gaze, “I know how well-packed your schedule is.”

“But I want to,” Naeun continued beaming as she put a small Tupperware on Soojin’s desk, “It’s little compared to the saving you did for my father.”

“That’s my job, Naeun,” Soojin retorted.

“Still,” Naeun asserted, “I’m still thankful that you’re my father’s doctor so I hope you’d appreciate my gift.”

“If you insist then thank you,” Soojin smiled, “Why don’t you join Suzy and me for lunch? Let’s have a taste of what you both prepared.”

Naeun glanced at Suzy and feeling the unintended tension between them, she answered, “I’m sorry but I have to decline your offer. I have to go back to the room. My father’s waiting.”

“I understand,” Soojin nodded, “Thank you again.”

The lady then bid farewell by bowing to both of them in a polite manner.

When Suzy and Soojin were left alone, the latter insisted to have Suzy join her for lunch and the girl couldn’t reject the offer. They had small chit-chats at the hospital’s cafeteria, having a little getting-to-know-each-other and Suzy must admit that she liked Soojin. Soojin has wit, a sense of humor and a seemingly strong personality. Furthermore, Suzy also found it cute how Soojin interrogated her about Yong Joon – casually asking what his likes and dislikes are.

However, somehow, their conversation diverted to Naeun.

“Remember the girl while ago? Her name’s Son Naeun,” Soojin told her, “Why don’t you try to get to know Naeun? She’s the same age as you. Maybe you could be friends.”

But she’s my boyfriend’s ex, Suzy wanted to reply but when Soojin saw the hesitation in her eyes, she further stated, “I think it would be good for Naeun to have a friend like you. She also needs a support system of her own during these times.”

When Suzy’s silence as well as her questioning gaze urged her to explain further, Soojin sighed before adding, “She has been pushing herself to limits. As far as I know, she has already neglected her studies because she has to take care of her father, and at the same time, work.”

“My suggestion must be so random that it caught you off-guard,” Soojin chuckled weakly, “I’m sorry. I guess I’m just ranting. I… I just want her life to be better.”

As fast as how the conversation shifted to Naeun, Soojin was able to digress to another topic and Suzy thought that it must be one of Soojin’s charms as well – unlike Yong Joon, Soojin could direct conversations and let it flow naturally. If Soojin wasn’t on duty at that time, their conversation would have lasted for hours but the two needed to part away with a promise of seeing each other again.

“Please be my uncle’s wife,” Suzy playfully suggested as she bid farewell.

“Tell that to your uncle too,” Soojin retorted with a smirk.

She then wanted to go home, as she was not fond of staying in hospitals for long, but Soojin’s words kept repeating in her head: “Why don’t you try to get to know Naeun?”

Succumbing to both curiosity and temptation, Suzy found herself inquiring about Naeun’s father and soon, her feet had dragged her onto the room. She heaved a deep sigh before knocking on the door softly and when Naeun saw her, there was surprise written all over the girl’s face followed by a smile and an invitation for Suzy to come in.

Her eyes were then fixed on the man that was lying on the bed; he looked so weak but there was a faint smile on his lips as his gaze met hers. Unknowingly, her chest clenched at the sight; she suddenly remembered her late parents and she wondered which was painful – a sudden death or a death so slow that it challenges all the hope and faith that you have.

She politely bowed in greeting at the man and Naeun then gestured for her to take a seat. After a brief moment of silence, Suzy asked, “How is he?”

“Getting better,” Naeun answered without hesitation, “I hope his recovery would continue so that we can take him home.”

There was silence between them once more before Suzy was able to ask, “Why did you pretend that you didn’t know me?”

“Our first meeting wasn’t that great. I thought that you don’t want to see me again,” Naeun apologetically smiled, “Or I think, we deserve, at least, a proper introduction.”

Suzy found herself smiling back at the female before she extended her hand and said, “Nice to meet you. I’m Bae Suzy.”

“I’m Son Naeun,” Naeun grinned as she accepted Suzy’s hand, “I hope we can get along even though our lives are tangled in a complicated manner.”

For a while, Suzy was engulfed with the questions that roamed around her head: Are girlfriends and ex-girlfriends supposed to be arch nemesis? Does the fact that the same person loved the both of you at different periods of time always become a source of insecurities and conflicts?

“I’m sorry that I came empty-handed,” Suzy whispered as she retracted her hand.

“That’s okay. Your visit’s enough. Father wants to see other people too beside me, my mom and the nurses,” Naeun assured her but as the former’s gaze fell on the violin case that lay on Suzy’s lap, she requested, “On a second thought, can you play the violin for my father?”

“The pieces I know are not that numerous,” Suzy mumbled timidly.

“Any song would do,” Naeun replied, “He loves classical music. I’m sure it’d help him sleep.”

Suzy then played Brahms Lullaby and her music cradled Naeun’s father into a deep slumber.

 

 

“I was supposed to visit you to your apartment,” Myungsoo exclaimed, surprised that it was Suzy who came knocking to his door.

“Why? Can’t I be the one to fetch you for a change?” Suzy pouted as she welcomed herself in his unit, “Who even invented the rule that the man should fetch the woman in her house? That’s so ist. We’re both abled, anyway.”

“I understand your point but I have a motorcycle while you still have to commute,” Myungsoo retorted, “That’s a hassle.”

“But your worth every hassle,” Suzy beamed before walking past him.

Myungsoo grinned and followed her inside before catching her waist, making the girl giggle. He turned her around before trapping her in between the back of the sofa and him as he mischievously stated, “I didn’t quite hear that. What did you say?”

Suzy then looked lovingly at the male before snaking her arms towards his nape as she whispered, “I said I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” Myungsoo replied as he replied her stare with a loving gaze of his own..

“You look restless,” Suzy eyed him worriedly, cupping his face in her hands.

“I haven’t slept,” he confessed, as he buried his face on the crook of her neck.

“Then why ask me out on a date? You should have rested first,” she reprimanded him.

“But I wanted to see you above all,” Myungsoo whimpered. Then, as if an idea popped into his mind, he broke their hug as he gasped, “Ah! I wanted to give you something too.”

He then dragged her into his room, making her sit onto the bed.

She watched as he rummaged through his untouched luggage and she realized that it was true that the male had just arrived from his travel for work. Senior year of high school were making them too occupied with both the fight to graduate and the struggle to get accepted into university but Myungsoo had extra baggage because he had already decided to start working outside of his studio, making him busier than ever. Their time for each other had surely decreased but Suzy didn’t want to complain for she knew how much Myungsoo loved photography.  

There was a proud smile on his lips as he brought out a box of shoes. Nervously, he tried it on her, as if he was the prince while Suzy was Cinderella. When the shoes fitted perfectly, he happily shouted, “I got your size right!”

“Seems that you know me well,” Suzy cooed.

“When I told the saleslady that it was for my girlfriend, she couldn’t believe the size that I told her but I was certain that you have big feet – Ah!”

Myungsoo couldn’t finish his sentence as Suzy whacked him on the head. He chuckled at her before sitting beside her and gesturing her to look at his feet too. Suzy’s grin went from ear to ear as she saw that they were wearing the same pair of shoes. Her eyes twinkled in awe as her heart melted at his sweetness.

She , “You have this cute side too, huh.”

“And they are exclusively for you,” Myungsoo teased back with a smirk.

“Thank you so much,” Suzy told him.

“In the future, the thing that I’d save up and give you is our house,” Myungsoo pulled her closer towards him, “Then in return, please bear my babies.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter