Choosing Pain

Pink and Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myungsoo tilted his head to the side as he sighed. He could see Suzy’s shadow peeking beside the gate but he knew that the girl was not planning to reveal herself anytime soon.

“How long are you planning to hide there?” he asked and crossed his arms over his chest as he continued, “I hope it would be anytime soon or else we’re going to be late.”

Suzy sighed deeply before stepping out of the gate but what welcomed her sight was something that was more than she prepared for. In front of her apartment was a stunning high school male coolly leaning on his motorbike.  Even the sun’s rays were in favor of Myungsoo as it reflected not just the brown color of his hair but of also his almond eyes. The sun seemed like a spotlight shining on him.

She snapped out of her trance as she realized that Myungsoo’s lips curved into a smirk. But as he chuckled, his deep voice and bright smile even mesmerized her.

“Do you finally find me attractive now?” he teased.

“Hahahaha,” Suzy faked a laugh with a bored expression before mumbling, “Airhead.”

Mimicking him, she also crossed her arms over her chest before asking, “So what are you doing here early in the morning?”

“I don’t know. Exercising? Maybe I just had this urge to exercise right in front of your house,” he sarcastically said with a faked amused expression.

Buying it, she retorted, “It can be! It’s in your nature to show off your muscles in front of the whole neighborhood.”

“I’m sorry, were you expecting that? I’ll just let you take a peek at my body if you want,” Myungsoo teased further playfully ing his uniform and taking a few steps near to her.

“Yah! Don’t you dare!” Suzy yelled and pointed a finger at him as she glared.

“Chicken brain,” Myungsoo replied. Somehow, he didn’t find the nicknames irritating anymore. Instead, it made him feel special as Suzy and he had their own terms of “endearment” towards each other. He handed her the helmet as he added, “Of course, I’m here to take you to school.”

“Isn’t this hour too early for courtship?” Suzy silently asked as she wore the helmet.

“No hour is too early for a person working hard to get the girl he likes to like him back,” Myungsoo said as he started the engine. He looked back at Suzy as he added with a smile, “I can even court you 24/7 if you want.”

He lifted the visor of the helmet to read her expression but he quickly regretted doing so. He was expecting to earn a glare or a sour expression but what he saw was the pink blush that travelled to her cheeks. He didn’t even have the guts to and instead, he awkwardly coughed and closed the visor.

“J-Just hop on,” he looked away. “We’re going to be late.”

Rubbing his already red ears, he prayed that Suzy didn’t notice how he blushed back.

 

 

 “Yah. What is this?”

“Food,” Myungsoo simply answered as he sat down.

Suzy looked down at the couple of breads that Myungsoo dropped in front of her on the table. She glanced back at Myungsoo who in turn looked back at her questioningly. But it was Sungjong who asked,

“If you’re courting her, then isn’t this too few?”

Suzy nodded as she added, “I thought you’re going to buy me everything.”

“What’s the point of buying everything if I already know what you like?” Myungsoo replied as he stuck in the straw before giving her the strawberry drink.

“Besides, it’s unhealthy to overeat,” he added as he threw a look at Sungjong who in turn pouted guiltily.

Woohyun chuckled before saying, “But you might regret helping her maintain a slim figure when she starts to gather attention from other men.”

“Then I’ll take out the eyes of those who would dare,” Myungsoo said with a poker face which earned him a slap on the back from Suzy. “Wae?! You don’t know need other guys! I’ll prove you that I can be enough.”

Woohyun coughed on his drink before his face turned sour as he said, “What was that Myung?”

“That was the lamest pick-up line ever,” Sungjong teased. He then pulled Suzy’s seat closer to him as he said, “But we’re guys too and we wouldn’t want you to have noona for yourself.”

“That wouldn’t be a problem if you don’t start looking at her in the way Myungsoo does,” Woohyun answered with a warm smile. Suzy turned to look at Myungsoo but then, she caught him staring lovingly at her. He quickly looked away and turned to Woohyun who was already trying hard to control his laughter.

“W-What way?” Myungsoo tried to deny but the blush in his ears failed to hide his embarrassment of being caught in the spot and that only made Woohyun burst into laughter.

A smile graced Suzy’s lips as the two started bickering and teasing each other. But then she took a pause from drinking and stared at the food that Myungsoo gave. She then started to realize that over the span of two months, Myungsoo had gotten to know her well.

When did he start noticing these things about me? Suzy asked herself.  Maybe when he started liking me. But when did he start liking me?

“Noona, don’t you have anything to do at the library today?” Sungjong asked snapping her out from her thoughts.

At the mention of library, Sungyeol’s name immediately flashed into Suzy’s mind. Her last visit to the library was when she had a confrontation with Sungyeol. It was already two weeks ago but then she too, found herself unconsciously avoiding Sungyeol. She knew that it was not the person himself she wanted to avoid but the feeling of rejection and pain every time she sees him ignore her.

She shook her head and brushed off the thought before replying, “I was hungry so I decided to spend recess here in the cafeteria.”

Sungjong just nodded in reply and the groups started talking about random things but Woohyun noticed. He noticed how a glint of sadness showed first in Suzy’s and then on Myungsoo’s eyes.

 

 

As much as she avoided the place, situations had cornered her to spend time in the library. Her exams were near and she could only think of her favorite spot in the library as the perfect place to study. She was trying to solve trigonometry problems when she heard how small pebbles knocked on her window. She slid the window open and she saw how the boy on the bench raised his camera to take a picture of her. Suzy giggled before mouthing, ‘I’m studying.’

“I know! I just wanted a picture!” Myungsoo shouted back before gesturing her to continue on what she was previously doing. He then bid her goodbye with a small wave. She chuckled again before waving back at him but now, she kept the window beside her open. She knew that Myungsoo was restraining himself from coming to the library. He was very persistent in this courtship that he pledged, but she was thankful that he was considerate enough to give her space when she needed it.

The cold wind was blowing at Suzy’s face as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter