Her unrequited love

Pink and Black
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She stared at the musical instrument in front of her, tilting her head again and again as she fought the urge of touching it. However, curiosity is killing her for her father used to own one of it, and she had a faded memory of him playing for her and for her mother. Suzy felt an attachment to the musical instrument as her eyes feasted on it but still remained unknowing of her touch. The little girl’s heart faltered as she inhaled deep and reached.

Just a touch, Suzy thought.

Her fingers lightly grazed on the smooth wood and she closed her eyes as the faint music of her father started growing louder and louder in her ears. She smiled as her fingers landed on the strings and she felt like she was reliving the precious memory.

“What are you doing?”

Suzy jumped as she heard the familiar voice and she turned to find her uncle. She immediately took a step back from the violin and bowed her head down, as if guilty of a crime.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to touch any violin? Especially mine?” Her uncle’s voice came in a whisper but it sounded stern.

All the ten year-old Suzy could do was stutter as she repeatedly said, “I’m sorry.”

 

 

“Yah, don’t you want to go home?”

Suzy snapped back to reality when she heard Myungsoo’s call for her.

“Neh?”

“I kept telling you to ride my bike,” Myungsoo complained. “But you’re just spacing out.”

“I’m sorry,” Suzy whispered as she stared. “I just remembered something.”

Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows and turned to find out what she was staring at.

“Let’s go,” Suzy said and grabbed the helmet, but then Myungsoo’s hand prevented her from doing so.

“Do you want to go in?” Myungsoo then asked and turned to her. Suzy raised her eyebrows in question and Myungsoo added, “To the music shop.”

Suzy smiled, not only because of his offer, but because the male had already learned to read her actions. She slowly nodded and Myungsoo started dragging his motorcycle across the street while Suzy followed, walking.

“It’s a good thing that you need to buy lens, or else, I wouldn’t find this,” Suzy said as she looked at the sign’s shop. The pictures they shot were in the garden but Myungsoo had decided to pass by the central city to buy some of his needs.

“Are you coming in or not?” Myungsoo said as he offered the door for her.

Suzy the bottom of her lip in anxiousness, but then she took steps forward only to be amused by the new scenery. The music shop had various instruments and they have a corner for magazines and musical scores. The walls were also decorated with posters of various popular musicians and Suzy felt her lips curve into a smile because even though she didn’t know their names, some faces were familiar- especially her uncle’s. Probably, it was because these musicians stood in the same stage with him.

Myungsoo smiled as he saw that Suzy’s lips were slightly gaped. He teasingly tapped on her chin to close it making Suzy jerk and he said,

“Don’t drool on them.”

“I was not,” Suzy retorted as she let her eyes roam once more. “Well, at least, not yet.”

“Is this your first time in a place like this?” Myungsoo asked after a chuckle.

Suzy nodded. “Isn’t it obvious?”

“But your uncle is a famous musician, you should’ve visited at least one music shop with him,” Myungsoo replied.

Suzy smiled sadly as she said, “I don’t think so. He wouldn’t even let me touch a violin.”

“Wae?” Myungsoo asked as his eyebrows creased.

“Molla,” Suzy whispered. “Maybe because he knows that I have the tendency to play them, and he wouldn’t want to see me get acquainted with music.”

“Can I ask ‘Why’ again?”

Suzy’s eyes were travelling but Myungsoo still saw the sadness in it as she replied, “Because I was the one who destroyed my father’s dreams. If I wasn’t born, he would have been as popular as uncle’s and they would be standing in the same stage happily.”

“Ah. I found them!” He saw her force a smile as she headed into a direction.

Myungsoo followed her as he stared into her back. He thought that from the smiles and the strong personality Suzy had always shown, no one would think that she was suffering in way.

She’s always been in an unrequited love… with her uncle, Myungsoo thought.

He watched as Suzy grazed her fingers in the violin in front of her, and he found both longing and wonder in her eyes and happiness and sadness in her smile.

“Miss, you can’t touch that,” a chubby man with glasses told them with an apologetic smile and Myungsoo and Suzy could only infer that he was the owner.

“Ah. I’m sorry,” Suzy smiled and bowed. Then she pointed at the violin and asked, “How much is it?”

“Two million won,” the owner replied.

“Two million won?!” Suzy asked with a high tone and wide eyes but then her voice turned into a whisper as she asked again, “This is… two thousand dollars?”

“Neh,” the owner nodded.

Suzy’s lips turned into a pout as she added, “Is this the cheapest violin?”

“There are actually violins which are only about two hundred thousand won in other stores,” the owner explained naturally. “But the quality will not be that good.”

“That still is a month’s grocery,” Suzy whispered dejectedly.

She then nudged Myungsoo as she whispered, “I know that I only work for you for an hour a day in weekdays and five hours on weekends, but will I earn enough to buy this?”

“Probably,” Myungsoo nodded.

“How much more do I have to wait for my salary? The one according to our contract?”

“Three weeks,” Myungsoo mumbled in reply.

“Excuse me,” Suzy turned to the owner. “But will this still be here after a month?”

“I’m afraid not,” the owner answered truthfully and Suzy shook her head as her shoulders fell in rejection and her lips form into a frown.

 Just then, the bells chimed and the door of the shop opened and when the person revealed himself, the three’s eyes widened. Their eyes travelled to and fro from the real person to the poster of himself behind him. The difference was, the male had become older and he was wearing casual clothes. But then, the man kept his gaze fixed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter