Chapter Twenty One

Pinky Promise

I took a deep breath and opened the white door to see 30 other eyes peering up at me. Everyone was already in their white coats and gloves. I looked on the rack to see one more left with the name "Choi Hana" sewn on the front.

"Your late." the head doctor, Doctor Jun sneered as I walked in to the hospital staff room. Today was the first day of actually starting the full summer course to graduate.

"I thought this started at 8," I explained.

"You will be 30 minutes early to the hospital everyday." Doctor Jun declared. The other doctor apprentices gave me pity looks and whispered, "She's new."

"Because your late, you'll stay after and clean up the hospital." he turned back around to talk to the class.

I didn't say anything, grabbed the lab coat and quietly found a spot in the back of the room. I didn't want to talk back to the head doctor on the first day.

After an introduction and a couple of instructions from Doctor Jun, I finally got to get started on working with the other doctors. There was so much work to do and little time to do it. Other than that, I loved what I was doing. The thought of finally graduating and being able to become a doctor made me happy. Those years of studying would finally pay off.

"HELP!" Me and some other doctors working on a little boy's broken arm all jumped, frightened by the sudden yelp.

"Hana, you go see what's going on," a sunbae told me.

"Okay, sunbae," I said. I left the hospital area and jogged out to the front lobby. There was a man carrying someone on his back.

"What's happened?" I asked, surprised. The guy on the man's back was limp.

"He fainted while filming," the man explained.

I didn't ask any questions and hurriedly brought the two men into the nearest room. The man laid the guy on the bed.

"What is this?" one of the sunbaes came into the room.

"Jonghyun was filming and he fainted all of a sudden," the man explained. I didn't think much of it. I mean, Jonghyun was a pretty popular name.

"Just fatigue," the sunbae answered.

"Oh, that's a relief," the man said, "I thought it was something worse."

I stared at the "Jonghyun" laying on the hospital bed. He started to stir a little bit and his hair moved out of place and revealed his face. The "Jonghyun" had handsome sharp features and resembled... a dinosaur. I squinted my eyes, not believing. No, it can't be. Why would he be here of all hospitals? Why would SHINee's Kim Jonghyun be here?

The sunbae and man moved out of the room to discuss how much rest he needed and other information.

I I frowned and looked at Jonghyun from a distance. Coincidently, It was actually him. He looked peaceful. Probably from finally getting the sleep he hadn't been able to get because of his busy schedule.

I slightly chuckled, remembering the days when I because he had no schedule at all.

I carefully walked closer to him, not wanting him to wake up.

I kneeled down next to him and stared at his face. He had bags and dark circles from working so hard. It didn't look right. I brushed the stray hairs out off of his sticky forehead.

He started to stir. I leapt up and pretended like I was doing something but he never opened his eyes. I slowly drew near him again. This time, when he started to move, his lips whispered something. He was murmuring something.

I should go, I thought. But my body wouldn't let me. I stayed there trying to decipher what he was mumbling.

"Hykjksdf," he mumbled. I tucked my hair behind my ear and leaned in closer to hear what he was saying.

"Hyeskd."

"Hyeyoung," he breathed.

Hyeyoung?

"What are you doing?"

I turned around quickly to see the man who was supposedly SHINee's manager, at the doorway.

"He's good looking, eh?" the manager laughed.

"Yeah," I awkwardly laughed back.

"Well I have to go back to the filming station so please take care of him," the manager said.

"Oh, okay," I bowed and watched as he left the hospital.

I turned back to Jonghyun. Hyeyoung?

"YAH!"

I sighed. People kept interrupting my thoughts.

I glanced over my shoulder to see the Doctor Jun standing there giving me a dirty look.

"Why are you here?" he glared.

"I -" I started. He didn't even let me give an explanation.

"Never. EVER leave the room without anyone's permission." Doctor Jun spat.

"Sunbae told me to go and che-"

"Shut up and go back into the room," he shook his head at me.

"Ne," I gloomed and walked past him back into the hospital room.

````````````````````````````````````````

"HANA!" I looked up warily and saw Kikwang's car screech over in front of me. He grinned.

I gave him a weak smile. It hurt to even smile.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"My schedule just finished and I wanted to check if you were still here," Kikwang explained.

"Oh," I gave a dull reply.

"What's wrong?" Kikwang frowned.

"I had to clean the hospital because I was late this morning," I sighed and rubbed my aching shoulders.

Kikwang gave me a look of sympathy and we just stood there in silence.

"I should lea-" I started.

"Get in," Kikwang interrupted.

He opened the car door and lightly pulled me in.

"Why? Where are you taking me?" I asked, a little too tired to argue.

"Somewhere," Kikwang winked. He reached over my body, put my seat belt on for me and drove off.

It was 12 in the night and there were barely any cars on the high way. It was pitch black and the only lights around were the stars twinkling in the heavens. The wind was whipping through my hair and I looked over at Kikwang and smiled.

I still didn't know where Kikwang was taking me but I didn't care. The ride felt so good and refreshing. For every mile we went; each coat of worry and depression that had piled on me for 7 years left my body.

"Scream!" Kikwang yelled all of a sudden.

"What?" I asked, raising my voice over the whir of the wind.

"You know you want to scream. No one will hear you. Scream!" Kikwang yelled all of a sudden, demonstrating what he meant.

"YAH YOU STUPID MANAGER HYUNG BRINGING ME TO STUPID VARIETY SHOWS AND PERFORMANCES I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GO TO!" Kikwang bellowed.

He glanced over at me and smiled. I knew what he was talking about now.

"STUPID DOCTOR JUN! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO YELL AT ME WITHOUT EVEN HEARING MY EXCUSE! IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT YOU DIDN'T TELL ME THAT CLASS STARTED 30 MINUTES EARLIER! WHAT KIND OF STUPID RULE IS THAT?!" I screeched at the top of my lungs. The loud wind carried my yells of frustration away.

Kikwang laughed and I smiled, satisfied.

"AND SUNBAE! IT'S YOUR FAULT I GOT IN TROUBLE AND YOUR NOT EVEN GOING TO DEFEND ME?! YOUR SO SELFISH! EVERYONE'S SELFISH!"

"AND APPA! WHY DID YOU HAVE TO DRINK LIKE THAT! UMMA WHY'D YOU HAVE TO LEAVE ME?!" my smiles of satisfaction started to turn into a fit of rage.

"KIM JONGHYUN! YOU HAVE A GIRLFRIEND NOW?! DO YOU REALLY LOVE HER? SO MUCH THAT YOU WHISPER HER NAME EVEN WHEN YOUR NOT CONCIOUS?!" my eyes started to water up.

Kikwang looked over at me nervously.

"DID YOU REALLY LISTEN TO WHAT I SAID, YOU IDIOT?!" I cried, "DON'T YOU KNOW THAT I HAVEN'T STOPPED THINKING ABOUT YOU FOR THOSE 7 YEARS?"

I started to sob harder and harder until I couldn't stop crying. The sound of the wind and the roar of the car swallowed up my wails so they were non existent. The tears that were running down my face disappeared with the cold wind lashing at my face.

I'm crazy, I thought to myself.

Kikwang probably thinks I'm crazy. I expected him to say something or do something to make everything awkward but he kept one hand on the wheel another gently resting on my back, quietly and gently reassuring me that everything would be okay.

Kikwang kept his hand on my back until I felt him slow the car down.

"We're here," he said.

I looked up and around and rubbed my eyes. 

There was a salty breeze in the air and I heard the crash of distant waves. We were at the ocean.

"Come on," Kikwang motioned, getting out of the car. I nodded and followed him. I stopped to take my converse off and buried my feet into the cold sand and smiled. I then quickly caught up to Kikwang and walked towards the water with him.

"You know," Kikwang said, kicking the sand around and interrupting the silence.

I glanced at him.

"I was going to confess to you today," Kikwang admitted.

I didn't say a word.

"But I saw how sad and tired you were when you got out of the hospital and I didn't think it was the right timing. I thought that maybe you had a lot of stress on you so I told you to let it go by screaming but it went the wrong way. I then brought you here to see if it would be any better but I don't know what to do now," Kikwang looked down shamefully.

"I was surprised when you started to talk about Jonghyun. I didn't know that you still loved him like that," Kikwang furrowed his eyebrows.

"I don't love him. I really don't," I tried to convince myself.

"You don't have to lie, I understand," Kikwang said.

"It's not like that..." I explained.

"Hana. You know that I really lo-" Kikwang started.

While he was saying whatever he was going to say, I didn't think at all and unconciously kicked my foot up, splashing Kikwang with salt water.

"HEY!" he pouted.

"Sorry," I rubbed my neck.

"Oh your dead," Kikwang said jokingly, cupping his hands and splashing me with more sea water.

"AH!" I screamed and ran away from him occasionally running back to the sea to spray more water onto him.

He grabbed hold of my waist and threw me over his back, tilting me towards the water backwards, taunting me jokingly.

"I'M GOING TO DUMP YOU IN HERE!" Kikwang cackled.

"YAH! LEE KIKWANG!" I screamed, laughing.

Eventually, he let me down. In the water. But I grabbed a hold of his shirt and dragged him down with me, us both crashing into the water laughing and having fun.