Chapter Three

Pinky Promise

I just sat there for hours thinking. Everytime someone would pass by, they would look at me weirdly. I don't really blame them though. I mean, I was crying outside of SHINee's practice room...

Just then the door opened and all of the boys walked out. Jonghyun was the first to walk out. He just ignored me and quickly walked away. The other members looked at me uncertaintly and followed Jonghyun. I sighed and buried my head in my hands. When I looked up, someone was sitting next to me.

"Hana, right?" the boy asked me. He was one of SHINee.

"Yeah.." I answered my mind wandering.

"I'm Taemin, if you don't remember," he said.

"Oh. Hi Taemin," I sighed.

"Are you okay? We heard you screaming.. Jonghyun Hyung is a little mean sometimes isn't he?"

I looked sideways towards him and nodded, "Yeah. I don't know what happened. We were best friends and I really loved him and now he's like this.."

"What happened?" Taemin asked.

"Nothing really. I guess time just seperated us," I sighed again as he stood up. He then offered me his hand.

"Come on.. Doesn't your hurt by now?" he smiled. He was really good looking now that I looked again. He was gentle and delicate. Different from Jonghyun but I liked it. I took his hand and we went down to the cafeteria downstairs. 

The cafeteria was amazing. It was filled with white and lime green furniture and modern decorations and artwork. There were posters of Super Junior, DBSK, SNSD, SHINee, f(x), TRAX, BoA, Kangta and many other SM Artists. One of the walls was all glass so you can see the Han River and the rest of Seoul. There was a fruit and salad bar and a make-it-your-own sandwich area also. So this was the luxurious life as a star..

We were greeted by many pairs of eyes staring at us. SHINee and some other celebrities from SM entertainment, managers and a bunch of trainees were looking at me. Taemin led me to where SHINee was sitting and Taemin sat down. He pulled out a chair for me and motioned for me to sit too. Everyone else slowly went back to what they were doing before.

"What are you doing here." Jonghyun said that more like a statement than a question.

"Come on Hyung just let her sit down.." Taemin said. He smiled at me. I cautiously sat down and Jonghyun crossed his arms looking away. While the SHINee boys made conversation, me and Jonghyun tried ignoring each other but everytime one of us would talk the other would have something bad to say about it.

"Yah. Kim Jonghyun. Your so childish you know that?" I sighed in annoyance.

"I'M childish?! I'M not the one tha-" Jonghyun retorted.

"Cut it out you guys." Minho's calm yet firm voice made us shut up.

Just then, a man stood up and called all trainees to go back into training. About 3/4 of the room stood up and quickly left. Just then, the man screamed at me, "HEY! Go back into training!" I looked behind and around me in confusion and then put a finger to my face pointing to me and asked, "Me?" with a questioning look. The man then came over to the table we were sitting at and started pulling me away.

"What are you doing? I'm not a trainee!" I shouted. SHINee was trying to explain but the man quickly pulled me away without into a room with trainees. I kept trying to get out of his grasp but he wouldn't let go.

"Since your so unhappy to go back into training you can sing first." the man crossed his arms and looked at me, "Sing."

"Excuse me, Mr. Han? But she's not a tra-" someone stood up and tried to say something but he immediately made her stop talking.

"Hurry up and sing!" he stood there unpatiently.

"Sing what? I'm not a trainee!!!" I was going crazy. What was I even doing here?

"Oh be quiet. Sing the song you've been practicing for the showcase! What is wrong with you? Do you want to be cut?" Mr. Han looked at me disapprovingly. Oh my God.... I looked around for help but the trainees were just sitting on the floor looking down not wanting to be yelled at. I sighed and tried for it again, "Listen Mr. Han I'm not a trainee.."

"YAH! Do you want to get in more trouble?!!!! Should I send you out?!" He was pretty mad. His face was fuming.

I sighed.. Might as well do it. I sang.

I sang "I Have a Lover" by Lee Eunmi. It was the song I would sing in front of parents with Jonghyun. I had practiced it over and over again in hopes of auditioning until about last year when my parents totally denied my dreams and hopes of becoming a singer. I had to choose the path of studying. I sang "I Have a Lover" with such soul and emotion thinking about Jonghyun and how much I forgot that I loved singing. In the middle of the song a woman walked into the room. She was about 40 to 50 years old and well aged but her wrinkles made her beautiful and she had elegance when she walked.

She raised her hand and I stopped singing.

"Are you a trainee? I don't think I recognize you.." She smiled at me and came closer. I shook my head 'no'. Mr. Han looked at me confused.  I shrugged at him and said, "I tried to tell you.." The man nodded sheepishly and looked down in shame.

The woman then smiled heartedly and shook my hand and introduced herself as Yoo Gaeun. Miss Yoo. She noticed all the pairs of eyes of trainees looking up at us and led me outside into the hallway.

"I don't live here..." I said when she asked if I wanted to become a trainee.

"Really? Where do you live?" She asked.

"I live in the United States. I used to live here but I'm just here for the summer now." I explained.

"Oh I see.. What brings you into SM Entertainment? You can't get into this building unless your a trainee, family of someone, or an artist," she said.

"Kim Jonghyun's mother brought me. He was my childhood friend and I came to see him but Mr. Han dragged me here and made me sing thinking I was a trainee.."

Miss Yoo laughed, "That Mr. Han... he always makes mistakes like that. He seems tough doesn't he? He really isn't, you just got to get to know him." I nodded and she continued talking, "Hm... but you actually sang. You could've said to the end that you weren't a trainee. I'm pretty sure he would've listened to you and sent you on your way. You like to sing don't you?"

I smiled and nodded again, "Yes I do. But I'm not sure if it's my path. My parents are against it too. Trust me, I tried asking them thousands of times but it didn't work."

"Listen, Hana. I think that you should try being a trainee. Maybe just for a few days. I would love to be your singing trainer. You have a voice that is too beautiful to pass by."

"Oh, I'm not sure.. I don't think I should.." I said. It made me really sad saying no since it was my dream until about a year ago when I was forced to leave it.

"Alright well think about it and give me a call or visit the office, okay?" She gave me her contact information, gave me a last smile and went back into the training room.

Well that was weird. SHINee then came running around the corner. "THERE SHE IS!" Key shrieked. Uhhh... They were all panting. They as in everyone in SHINee except for Jonghyun. What a surprise...

"We looked everywhere for you! Where were you?" Onew asked.

"Sorry. He made me sing or something but - Ah nevermind it doesn't matter." I said changing the subject.

"Oh okay. Well Jonghyun's going home now so he said that he wants you at the front door in a minute or else he's leaving without you," Taemin said. God that idiot Jonghyun.

"Aish... Okay I guess I might see you guys sometime later..Bye!" I ran out to the front to see Jonghyun leaving with his car. I jumped out in front of his car making him slam on his brakes. Babo.. So you really were gonna leave without me, right? I saw him roll his eyes when he saw me. I got into the car and slammed the door.

"Hey dino face you really were gonna leave without me?" I asked glaring.

"Yeah. I waited an extra 5 seconds for you but you didn't come." he said plainly.

"Wow. Your really selfish aren't you?" I asked fascinated at how much time could change a person. He ignored me and we kept driving. He stopped in front of a bunch of really nice apartments. I looked at him confused but he just nodded his head towards a direction. I saw a girl coming out of the apartments. I squinted my eyes. Who was that?

"Yah what are you doing? Sit in the back!" Jonghyun said rudely.

"What? What did you say to me?" I was offended. Sit in the back? OHHHH NO.

"YAH! What are you talking about! Your mom told you to take me home! You know what? Never mind. I'm just leaving." I huffed. I got out of the car, slammed the door and attempted at kicking the tire but in the end my foot just hurt really bad and did no damage to any part of the tire. Stupid strong tire. I saw Jonghyun laughing at me. So.. embarassing. I hid my red cheeks and turned around heading for home. Which was... where again? I sighed. This was gonna be a long day.

Jonghyun zoomed right past me in his car with the girl without even looking. Are you kidding me Jonghyun? What kind of friend would do this? I walked in the expensive apartments and asked for a map of the city. I laid the map out and turned it side to side and backwards and forwards trying to figure out where I was and how to get back to Jonghyun's mom's house.

I walked around for a good 3 hours in the hot sun with a cramp and a hurt toe when I stopped to realize that I was walking in circles. Yup. I have definitely passed by that book shop like ten times already.

I gave up for now and sat on the curb. Just then, a car came up to me and the window went down. Onew smiled, "Do you need a ride?" I almost cried of joy when I felt that air conditioning in the car.

"Onew I owe you..." I said leaning forward to feel the air conditioner.

"No biggie. So your going to Jonghyun's old house right?" Onew asked keeping his eyes on the road.

"Yup," I said.

"Why were you on the street though? I thought you went with Jonghyun..." Onew asked

"Oh that traitor? Techincally it was my fault but he drove off with this other girl and told me to ride in the back of the car. It pissed me off so I just got out of the car. My pride just weakens me," I said shaking my head.

"No no I would've done that too," Onew said laughing. The rest of the car ride we talked about.. everything. From his obsession of chicken to my obsession of bread. I love bread.. I can eat it all day long and whenever, wherever. We finally arrived to Jonghyun's house and I got out and bowed thanking him. He said it was no problem and drove off. What a nice guy..

When I got into the house Jonghyun's mom gasped, "Hana!!!!! I was so worried!"

"I'm sorry.. I kind of.. lost my ride. Ha ha..." I said. I looked at the mirror next to the front door and gasped in horror at my reflection. My hair was all tangled and messed up and I had dark circles and dirt on my face. My white shirt was not white anymore and it had brown water on it from tripping while I earlier while I went around that same bookshop for about the fourth time. So this was how I looked in front of SHINee's leader? Great.

"Jonghyun? What did he do now?" Jonghyun's mom sighed.

"Oh it's nothing. It's my fault anyway." I said, "I'm going to take a shower."

"Okay hunny, after you change come out to eat, okay? I got everything ready for you. Me and Jonghyun's father are going out on a little errand alright? Don't open the door to anyone!" Jonghyun's mom warned. I laughed. She still treated me like a little kid. I nodded, "Okay umma."