Chapter Twenty Four

Pinky Promise

"You know, you should give Kikwang a chance. He told me yesterday that he really liked you," Jonghyun smiled.

Is he kidding me?

"He really likes you, Hana," Jonghyun encouraged, "Give him a chance!"

"Idiot," I spat.

"W-what? Why? Kikwang? Or me?" Jonghyun asked innocently.

Sfkjasklhalksjflksajghalsjfljaskdjfilwejflksdnkvj.

I buried my head in my hands and rubbed my temples, "You know. Maybe, I should leave."

I don't even know why I came. Jonghyun had told me that we HAD to go out to eat or whatever and I just dumbly agreed and followed him out to the cafe in front of the SM Building.

"Why are you like this whenever we see each other?" Jonghyun frowned.

"Because - Why don't you hate me?!" I blurted out.

"Hate you?" Jonghyun gave me a confused look.

"Yeah- No. Just... Don't you remember anything that happened 7 years ago?!" I exclaimed.

"What? When we went out?" he calmly said.

I gave a slight nod.

"What about it?" He asked.

"I left you.  Why aren't you hating me or anything?!"

"It's a part of the past, Hana. I already forgot about it. I mean, I have a girlfriend now and your back. Why would I keep living in the past?" Jonghyun chuckled and pat my head like I was a little kid.

I sunk into my chair.

Why would I keep living in the past?

Why would I keep living in the past?

Why would I keep living in the past?

It kept ringing in my ears.

Was he right? I mean; I'm just another girl. It's not like I'm someone special... and it was high school. Not only that, but he has a girlfriend now. And it's been 7 long years since we "went out"...

He was already over it...

Maybe it was just me that was obsessing over a love of 7 years. Maybe I had to move on.

"I'm n-" I started but Jonghyun's phone interrupted me. I watched as he cheerfully talked to the person on the other line.

"Hyeyoung wants to go out with me right now. It's okay, right?" Jonghyun asked.

"Yeah-yeah, go ahead," I smiled like it was nothing.

"You can come if you want, I'm pretty sure she won't mind," Jonghyun suggested.

I violently shook my head "no"

"Sorry. I'll talk to you later," Jonghyun waved and walked out of the cafe.

It struck me then.

He has a freaking girlfriend. It was over SEVEN YEARS AGO. And it was just evil me that wanted him to wait for me for 7 years after I cut off all connection with him.

I sulked out of the cafe and walked out on the street. I looked all around me to see beautiful couples laughing and hugging and kissing.

I groaned. This was ridiculous.

I sat down at a bench and glanced at my phone.

There was a new message from Kikwang:

hey hana text me i have a free day today! ! ^^

I bit my lip and decided to text him back:

I'm done with hospital work too. Let's do something today ^____^

A reply came soon:

yay! where are you? i'll pick you up

I replied and about 20 minutes later, Kikwang's car stopped in front of me and he rolled down the window.

"Get in!" he motioned.

I smiled and walked over to the passenger seat, "Where are we going?" I asked after I put on my seat belt.

"Where do you want to go?" he asked.

"Namsan Tower," I replied, firmly.

FLASHBACK:

 

"Let's go to Namsan Tower," Jonghyun and I got into his car.

"Why so romantic?" I teased.

"I'm the best at being romantic... I'm good at skinship too," Jonghyun smiled cheekily and touched my cheek and winked.

"Focus on driving," I flushed.

"You like it," Jonghyun chuckled.

~~~~~

I shook the memory away. We never went to Namsan anyway. Jonghyun had to go back to the stupid school and get his stupid hat.

I laughed quietly at the memory of running away from the janitor and getting pelted by the school sprinklers.

We got to Namsan Tower and we payed the  money to ride the train up to the top. It had gotten very dark early so there was almost no one there. Me and Kikwang walked to the deck of the tower and I looked out the glass window to see all of the shining lights of Seoul.

So this was what I had missed.

"It's so pretty," I marveled.

"You've never been here?" Kikwang asked, surprised.

I shook my head and focused my attention back on the city lights.

"So you've never been to the hearts have you?" he asked.

"What's that?"

"I'll take you," Kikwang winked and took my hand.

We walked down the flight of stairs and arrived at a lower part of the tower outside. You could now fully see all the lights. I reached out and felt like I could touch them.

I looked all around me to see hearts and pictures and love letters attached to the wire fence that surrounded the balcony.

I bent down and read one of them:

We'll love each other forever and ever and ever and ever...........
January 2001

Along with the message was a picture of a couple smiling happily and posing with rings. I smiled warmly. I wonder if they are still together now.

"Let's do one," I said suddenly.

"What? Your supposed to do this with your boyfriend," Kikwang explained.

"I know," I answered.

"Then why would you do it with me?" Kikwang was confused.

"You said you liked me, right?" I asked.

"Yeah...." he answered carefully.

"Well, I like you too," I replied, playing with the hem of my shirt.

"You... like me?" a smile spread across Kikwang's face.

"Yes, I like you," I said.

I watched as Kikwang leaped of joy and danced all around. I smiled and laughed along with him as he picked me up and played with me but my heart felt like crying.

I did like Kikwang. Trust me, I did.

I just wasn't sure if I liked him like I liked loved Jonghyun and I definitely didn't want to play with Kikwang's heart.

I knew how bad heartbreak felt...

"I'll go buy a lock," Kikwang smiled.

"Okay," I nodded. He trotted off back into the tower to the small shop where they sold all of the hearts and locks.

What was I doing?