Chapter Twenty Eight

Pinky Promise

As time passed by, Hyeyoung fell asleep and Jonghyun started to become more worried. The people in the cafe were leaving one by one with no hope of any storm clearing up. Jonghyun looked gloomily outside where the trees were violently shaking and there was no trace of anyone. No rescue, no Kikwang, no Hana.

Jonghyun's POV:

I leaned back into my chair and rubbed my temples.

What if something seriously bad happened to Hana?

Sure, she was a swimmer, but even swimmers drown.

I shook my head. No, she couldn't drown. I couldn't live without her...

"Oppa, where are we?" Hyeyoung asked, waking up.

"Beach, Hana, rescue, remember?" I asked.

"Oh yeah," she muttered sleepily.

"Go back to sleep." I told her. She agreed and cuddled up on the cafe sofa.

I sighed in frustration. We had told the cafe workers and tried alerting the rescue but no one seemed to show up or try to help.

"Where are you?" I murmered, looking out to the sea, worried.

Hana's POV:

The ocean was swallowing me up. Yeah. Swallowing me up.

The wind was crazy and I could barely breathe. The strong wind was pushing the salty sea water down my throat and tossing me through the ocean.

I couldn't scream for help and the only thing I remembered from lifeguard safety was to "stay calm during a storm" and "look for shore".

I looked all ways back and forth and I couldn't even see anything but miles and miles of the endless sea. There was no trace of shore. I looked beneath me and I still couldn't see the bottom of the ocean. My hands and legs were becoming tired and I could barely tread water anymore. I didn't want to try to swim in any particular direction. What if I ended up going the total opposite way of the shore?I'd truly be in the middle of nowhere.

I tried floating on my back but the waves sunk me under. My heart was thumping hard and I started having a flashback of my life. All the happiest moments....

Is this how it felt to die? I closed my eyes. No hope... No hope.... I sighed for one last time.

"HANA!" I heard all of a sudden. Are you serious? I opened my eyes and frantically looked around. I saw a head bobbing up and down in the water.

I squinted and treaded water towards it.

It was Kikwang.

I started to cry, "Kwang..."

"Hana, are you okay?!" he screamed, "ARE YOU CRAZY?!"

I nodded. I agreed. I'm a stupid crazy girl.

I hugged him in the water.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING? WE HAVE TO GO! THE STORM IS ONLY GETTING WORSE!" he yelled.

True.

I gathered all my strength up for the last time and follwed Kikwang through the deathly waters.

Kikwang was still going strong. He occasionally looked back and made sure I was okay. I faintly smiled at him but I was tired. So so tired. I was hanging onto my life and I couldn't go any more longer.

I wanted water. Not sea water, I wanted drinking water.

I wanted all this hair out of my face.

I wanted steady ground to stand on.

I wanted to stop swimming.

I wanted to be able to breathe steadily.

I wanted to rest.

Kikwang looked back once more. I was losing my strength and he knew it.

There was a sudden surge of energy from the wind and sea. Thunder and lightning crashed.

This time, I didn't even have the power to fight it. I went under the water and hit my head on a boulder.

I felt my self sinking further and further down. I choked for air but ended up swallowing gulps of the salty sea water. I couldn't go back up, the pressure of the water was weighing me down.

All went black.

______

Jonghyun's POV:

There were ambulances and police officers, me, Hyeyoung, Kikwang, and Hana's body being hulled into the ambulance.

"She's still alive," the doctor assured.

"Will she be okay? How long will she be knocked out?" I threw questions at the doctor.

"We don't know. We have to get to the hospital first," he said.

"Then hurry!" I urged.

The paramedics zoomed off in their truck. Kikwang was in there with Hana. I saw his shadow in the window of the truck brushing away Hana's hair and holding her hand. I clenched my fist. Isn't that supposed to be me?

"I'll drive you home," I told yawning Hyeyoung.

We got into the car and I dropped Hyeyoung off at her apartment. I just parked myself in the parkinglot of her apartment with my head to the steering wheel.

How was Hana doing right now? Without even thinking, I started up the engine and drove to the hospital.

Wait, I shouldn't go there empty handed.

I swerved the car back and went to ajhumma's ramen shop.

"Jonghyun," she welcomed me.

"I'm sorry," I bowed, "but Hana's in the hospital and I want to bring her food and I know she always really loved your food. Can you make something for me?" I requested.

"Of course," she said, "but why is Hana in the hospital?"

"Just exhaustion," I answered. I didn't want to worry her.

"Oh, I see," ajhumma said.

"Thank you," I bowed.

"You know... I don't think she'll like my food," ajhumma frowned.

"Huh? Why?" I asked.

"Wouldn't she like it better if you made it?" ajhumma winked.

"I'm bad at cooking. I don't want to poison her," I said, sheepishly.

"I'll help you," ajhumma said with a smile, motioning me behind the counter.

I cautiously joined her in front of the stove.

"What do you want to make?" ajumma asked.

"She likes kimchi fried rice. And for dessert, she likes lemon cake," I answered.

"Alright," ajhumma smiled. She grabbed the ingredients out of the refrigerator and cabinet and set them out on the counter.

"Uh..." I moved my hands akwardly, not knowing where to start.

"Lemon cake takes more time to make because of the baking time so let's make that first," ajhumma suggested.

"Whatever you say," I responded.

Ajhumma went with me step by step in making the kimchi fried rice and lemon cake. By the time we were done, it had taken 3 hours and 4 different batches of lemon cake and 2 burnt kimchi fried rice.

"Good job," Ajhumma complimented, giving me a little of the rice and lemon cake to taste.

I ate some, scared of the results, but I smiled in satisfaction as soon as I tasted it.

"It's good!" I exclaimed, doing a thumbs up sign.

"You did great," ajhumma said.

"Thank you ajhumma~" I hugged her.

"Now go, Hana'll be happy to see you," ajhumma rushed me out.

I bowed and put the food carefully in the passenger seat and smiled widely, driving over to the hospital.

I parked the car in the car garage and headed up the elevator, food in hand.

"Where's Choi Hana staying?" I asked the nurse in the reception center.

"Room 83A," she replied.

"Thank you," I bowed. People started to point and stare at me suspiciously so I pulled the hood and hat lower on my face. Sometimes, I wished that I wasn't a celebrity... I could love in public and go wherever I want and say whatever I wanted without people having special attention towards me.

A doctor came out of the room when i was about to go in.

"Can I visit?" I asked.

"Yes, but someone's already in there. Don't overwhelm her," the doctor said.

"Alright, thank you," I bowed. I opened the door and walked in.

Kikwang was there. Hana was in the middle of giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Jonghyun," she said, flustered when she noticed me.

Kikwang turned around quickly and saw me. He stood up and turned red in the cheeks.

"You came," Hana smiled.

"Yeah," I answered. On Hana's bed table was food set out.

I eyed it.

"I made some food for Hana. Do you want to eat some?" Kikwang asked me.

I shook my head "no".

"Alright, then eat a lot Hana," Kikwang said. He raised the spoon and brought it to her lips. She gulped the food happily.

"It's really yummy," she grinned.

"Really?" Kikwang asked.

"Mhmm," Hana smiled.

"I think I should go," I muttered.

"Already?" Hana looked sad.

"Yeah. Schedule," I made an excuse.

"Wait. What's in your hand?" Hana asked.

"This?" I asked, motioning to the kimchi fried rice and lemon cake, "It's nothing."

"Okay. Bye Jonghyun," Hana said.

"Bye," Kikwang waved.

I stalked out of the room and slammed the door.

I'm supposed to be the one by her side feeding her....

 

~~~

hey double update! (:

it's cause i havent updated in a while. don't worry guys; i'm alive ^___^

thank you for commenting/subscribing!

have a great week~

-한나