Chapter Forty One

Pinky Promise

"Let's break up."

I looked up at Kikwang. He swallowed hard and repeated it again when I didn't reply, "Let's... break up..."

I didn't know what to say. I wasn't even sure if I heard correctly. I knew that Kikwang would break up with me sooner or later but no matter how much I knew that it was coming and no matter how much I avoided it, when he finally said the words "break up", I wasn't ready at all.

"I was cheating o-"

"I know," I choked out.

"I'm sorry. I really didn't want to do it to you but it just happened... I don't want this to ruin our friendship," Kikwang held my hands. I don't want this to ruin our friendship? Is he kidding me? I took my hands out of Kikwang's hand.

"Just leave," I said cooly. Kikwang looked at me, confused.

"Just like that?"

"Just like that."

"Are you okay?" Kikwang asked.

"Just like everything else, our memories will fade eventually- the good... and the bad," I let out a small smile, "And someone told me that I should just let the leaving person go. If we aren't together in the end; we just weren't meant to be."

Kikwang cleared his throat and nodded, "Bye Hana." I watched Kikwang's figure become smaller and smaller until I couldn't see him anymore. I felt that break-up feeling in my chest. Once I couldn't see him anymore, I couldn't help but let my tears fall to the ground. We weren't together anymore... He was cheating on me.. Although I had known about it for a long time, the fact that he admitted it made everything hurt a thousand times more. Like a bullet.

~~

I just sat in the abandoned resturaunt once again when I heard someone's footsteps coming. I looked up to see Jonghyun.

"Hey," he said. He walked towards me and took a seat across from me.

"Hey," I replied back.

"I guess we're both single again," Jonghyun chuckled.

"I guess so," I let out a small smile.

"It hurts.... doesn't it?" Jonghyun asked. I nodded and looked to my feet. I was digging my nail into my arm, trying to get myself to stop the tears coming out of my eyes. I didn't want to cry. Jonghyun noticed and reached over, frowning, removing my hands from my arm.

"Don't," he said.

"It hurts less than crying," I told him. He looked at me, surprised at what I said. Truthfully, I was surprised too. It was the truth, nonetheless.

"Your a doctor, you should know that it's not good for you," Jonghyun sighed.

"I'm not even a doctor yet," I retorted.

"Well you should know that hurting yourself isn't going to do anything," Jonghyun scoot into the booth next to me and put his arm around my shoulder. I inched away but he only held onto me even tighter.

"Things will get better. Once a day passes, it'll be what happened yesterday," Jonghyun started. I stopped fidgeting in his arms and looked up at him, recognizing the familiar words that I told him once.

"And when two days pass, It'll be what happened two days ago. When a year passes, even you won't remember what happened. Whether that's how you want it or not," Jonghyun whispered, "Someone I really love and care for told me that not so long ago." Even if my heart was breaking at the moment, Jonghyun managed to make me smile for a second. He remembered what I told him that one day when he was sitting outside of Hyeyoung's apartment.

My smile started to fade though, "What if I don't forget?"

"You will," Jonghyun simply stated.

"Seven years," I choked out, "Seven years.. and I remember every single word I said. I remember what I ate that morning and what clothes I was wearing and what I was doing when I... said those words to you. And in the past seven years, I still can't go a day without thinking about you once and wondering what we could've been if I didn't leave."

Jonghyun silenty leaned over and dug into his bag and pulled out a small piece of paper and handed it to me, "Why do you have such little faith in me? Just trust me, okay? I promise. You'll forget. I'll help you." Just then, Jonghyun's phone rang and he announced that he had to go to a schedule. I didn't want him to leave but I just nodded and sent him off.

Before he left, he gave me a kiss on my forehead. When he was out the door, I opened the small piece of paper.I put my hand over my mouth when I read the paper. I had been looking for the piece of paper all over the place. For some reason, whenever I saw the paper, I would smile.

Dear Jonghyun,
I love you. I love you as a boy.. Not a best friend.
Hana.
 
Below it there was scribbled handwriting that wasn't mine. It said:
 
Dear Hana,
I love you. I love you as a girl. Not as a best friend. Why didn't you give this to me any earlier? It would've saved us years of heartbreak.
Jonghyun.