Chapter Twelve ♥

Pinky Promise

*eemo: aunt.

and also in this chapter.....

finally.....

Beast's Debut. Kinda.

Anyways, this chapter changes everything!

Happy reading *=* and thanks for spending your time on this fanfic (:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*RING RING RING RING*

I grunted and reached for my phone on the bed stand.

"Hello?" I grumbled into the phone.

"Hana-ah, this is Jinsook Eemo*." my aunt said over the phone.

"Oh, hi eemo, is everything going well?" I asked.

"Honey, you have to come back to the States," I heard my eemo's voice trembling.

"What- why? Did something happen?" I asked, my eyebrows furrowing with worry, I sat up on my bed.

"Your parents are in the hospital. They got into a car accident," my aunt started to cry.

"What happened? How bad is it? Are they okay?" my voice was panic stricken.

"You need to come quickly, Hana. The fastest flight is in a couple of hours. Can you come then?" my aunt asked, avoiding the question.

"Yes, I can.. I'll be there soon, take care of my parents for me.." I said, hanging up.

Jonghyun started to stir on the bed. I buried my head in my hands. I remember that the last time I talked to my mom was to argue with her about becoming a trainee at SM. I remember that I pleaded her and fought with her instead of telling her that I loved her. What if she left? What if she left before I could say that I loved her for the last time?

I quickly got out of bed and washed up. I got into shorts and a shirt and started to pack my stuff, my thoughts being thrown around in my head.

"Hana, what are you doing?" Jonghyun asked. He was still sleeping on my bed.

"I have to go back to the US," I mindlessly said.

"...What?" Jonghyun asked, not believing what he just heard.

"Calm down, I'll be back. It's only for a little while..." I said as I got all of my clothes into the suitcase. I grabbed my laptop and got a plane ticket online.

"Is there something wrong?" Jonghyun worriedly asked.

"No, there's just some things I gotta take care of," I said, rollling my suitcase into the living room. Jonghyun's mom was making breakfast and his dad was watching the news.

"Hana, are you going somewhere?" Jonghyun's dad asked.

"I'm going to be in the States. I'll be back, though. Thank you so much for thesse couple of months," I said, slipping my shoes on. His parents asked if there was anything wrong but I just said the same thing that I said to Jonghyun. I didn't want to burden them and have others worry for me. I didn't want pity.

~18 hours later~

I walked out of the airport into sunny Los Angeles. The sky was cloudless and a beautiful shade of blue but my mood was the exact opposite.

I caught a bus down to the hospital and leaned my head against the window and sighed.

"HANA!" my aunt stood up and hugged me when I entered the hospital.

"How bad was it? Who's fault was this?!" I angrily screamed.

"It was your father's.... drunk.. driving," my aunt started to bawl.

I didn't ask to hear any more. I didn't want to. I just sat down not believing what I just heard. Drunk. Driving.

"Say something," my aunt begged, putting her arms around me. I gently lowered them from my shoulders and stood up and excused myself. I left my aunt alone in the waiting room and walked away. I didn't even know where I was going. I just walked away. I went into the bathroom and splashed water on my face. I looked into the mirror but I couldn't recognize the face.

The face filled with agony and despair. The eyes filled with sadness and the mouth that couldn't smile.

"Mom... Dad..." the tears that I couldn't find before finally erupted. I ran out of the bathroom and out of the hospital. I just ran and ran. Just as I was exiting the hospital, I ran into someone and hit myself hard on the floor but I didn't feel pain.

"Hana..." the person said in disbelief. I looked up with no strength to see a face that I recognized. A face that I loved.

"Kikwang..."

"Are you okay?" he asked, "I heard about your parents. That's why I'm here," Kikwang said. He helped me up and hugged me. He buried my head into his chest and let my tears soak his shirt.

"Do you know what the last thing I did with my parents was?" I didn't wait for any response, "We fought. I yelled at my mom and I begged her to let me become something that she knew would hurt me."

"Hana-"

"My mom's going to leave," I croaked.

"She's not going anywhere." Kikwang rubbed my back, "Come on, Hana... You have to see her."

Kikwang pulled me towards where my aunt was still sitting.

"Hana. Are you okay?" she asked. I merely nodded.

"They're letting in visitors," she said, "Come on."

My aunt opened the door and I saw a hospital bed. My mom was hooked up to machines and wires were all over her. I put my hand over my mouth in shock and I sat down on the stool next to the two beds.

"Hana. My daughter," my mom weakly tried to smile.

"Mom..." my tears started to leak out of my eyes.

"Don't cry, baby," my mom said, trying to wipe the tears off. I took her hand and held it.

"Mom. I love you. I love you so much. I'm so sorry, mom.." I started to weep.

"I love you too, Hana," my mom said. I wanted to hold on to her forever. I didn't want her to leave.

"Wait.... where's dad?" I asked, looking around for another hospital bed.

"Don't drink, honey. It's a bad thing," my mom said, her voice fragile.

"Is he gone?" I croaked.

"Hana..." my aunt interrupted.

"He is, isn't he?" I asked. I didn't know what to say. I hated him so much for doing this to himself and my mother, but I wanted to see him so bad. I wanted to see his face and hug him and call him daddy.

"Be strong okay?" my mom said.

"Mrs. Choi? You'll have to go in for another surgery right now," a nurse came in with a clipboard.

"Mom.. You'll make it, right? Right?" I begged as she was wheeled out of the room. My mom weakly smiled as she entered the surgery room.

"How long is this surgery?" Kikwang asked the doctor.

"About 4 hours," the doctor explained.

"Please.. Please save her. Please?" I begged the doctor.

"I'll try," the doctor assured, walking into the surgery room.

"I have to go back home. Jihoo and Hyungjoo are still at home alone," my aunt said.

"Okay, eemo. Thank you for calling and staying here," I said, hugging her, "Wait, eemo. Where's my father?"

"His body is getting ready for the funeral," she answered cautiously as she left.

I didn't know what to respond to that so I just stayed silent.

"You okay?" Kikwang asked, taking my hand. I nodded.

"There's a Starbucks right next to this hospital. Wanna go?" Kikwang asked.

"I don't know, I want to stay here," I said, biting my lip.

"Come on, it's five seconds away," Kikwang pleaded.

"Fine..." I said.

At Starbucks, we just sat down and talked. Kikwang was my first friend after I moved from Korea. He helped me get used to life in the States and he was my best friend. Other than Jonghyun.

"Is everything still going well?" I asked Kikwang.

"Yeah... But this summer's kinda boring without you," Kikwang joked.

"Really? How about the others?" I asked.

"Well, Doojoon went to his soccer camp, Junhyung is always working at the car repair place, Hyunseung and Yoseob took singing classes together and Dongwoon has no time for me," Kikwang frowned.

"So what's up with you?" Kikwang asked.

"Well, my parents just died," I answered.

"Hana... don't say that. Your mom's still here," Kikwang said.

I sighed, "I know... but... it hurts... I can't imagine living without them. I know that no one lives forever but still... my father was taken away from me too early... by alcohol. He did this to himself. I hate him so much. But I miss him."

Kikwang took my hand, "I know... but are you going to come back to the States? I heard that you were going to stay in Korea for the rest of your life."

"I don't know.. I have to go back sometime soon to cut ties and settle things though," I said. By cutting ties, I mean leaving Jonghyun and by settling things, I meant telling all of this to Jonghyun.

"Stay," Kikwang said.

"I haven't made my decision and I'll do what I want," I snapped.

Kikwang looked alarmed.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"It's fine. I understand what your going through... Do you want to do something?" Kikwang asked.

"I want to stay near the hospital just in case," I responded.

"Well, we have another 4 hours before the surgery ends. Might as well do something, right?"

I shook my head no.

"Come on. I missed you. I haven't talked to you this whole summer." Kikwang begged.

"But my mom's in surgery."

"We're not going far away," Kikwang said.

Just then, my phone rang again.

"Hello?"

"Come to the hospital. Your mother's dying. You have to hurry."

I didn't wait for anything else. I shut my phone closed and sprinted over to the hospital.

"WAIT!" Kikwang cried but I ignored him.

"Mom..." I walked in to see my mother weaker than ever. Her skin was way too white and she was way too skinny.

"MOM!" I cried.

"She won't make it," the doctor said, "We tried.. but during the surgery, her heart failed. She has a couple minutes before she's gone." The doctor closed the door and left me alone with her.

"Mom.. Mom..."

"Ha-na." her voice was so quiet. It wasn't even a whisper.

"I love you. You know that right?" I pleaded. My mom tried to smile and breathlessly said that she loved me too.

"Mom.. I'm sorry. I should've listened to you. Don't worry about me, I'll become successful.. I'll be a doctor just like you want me to..."

"Make me proud. Love you," my mom whispered said before her hand had no pulse anymore and was cold.

"HANA!" Kikwang and my aunt emerged from the doorway.

I kissed my mom's cheek and touched her cold face, "Rest in peace."

The doctors came in for my mother's body and I said goodbye for the last time.

I was given a bunch of papers to sign and I was handed over to the custody of my aunt because I was still underaged.

"Hana. I think you should rest. The funeral will be in a couple of months. It takes a lot of preperation, so go to Korea and get the rest of your clothes and furniture and come back in time for the funeral, okay?" My aunt said as we drove to her house.

I nodded.

I thought back on what I told my mother.

That I would become a doctor. I didn't mind becoming a doctor, that was the path that I would've taken if I didn't get into singing.

I then thought about leaving Korea...

I thought about leaving the SM dorm...

I thought about leaving Jonghyun.