Chapter 37

My Twelve Guardians

Kai took a deep breath to steady his breathing while he waited for Mi Sun to come out of the changing room. Maybe taking her shopping hadn’t been such a good idea. She’d gone into the room with a dress that had looked super cute on the rack, so Kai could only imagine how cute it would look on her.

Oh, he was so not ready to see that.

He’d probably crush her in a hug and admit his feelings for her right then and there. He’d never been good at keeping his mouth shut about that kind of stuff in the first place. Add in that he was in love with her and it all equalled a big mess.

“What do you think?” Mi Sun suddenly asked, opening the door and stepping out where he could see her, “too much pink?”

“Cute,” Kai squeaked, not trusting himself to say anything else. She looked so cute he might start to fanboy over her. God, he sounded like a love struck idiot, didn’t he? Kai could only hope that his hyungs and Sehun would have the same reaction in his place. Picturing Kris acting as he was right then made him feel a lot better.

“You think?” she asked, spinning around so that the skirt flared out.

Oh god, what was this girl doing to him? At this rate, Kai figured he was going to have made a fool of himself by noon. Then what would Mi Sun think of him? Obviously she’d think he was a fool, but would that hurt his chances of winning her heart? Taking her shopping defiantly wasn’t his best idea ever.

“Are you alright, Kai?” Mi Sun asked, finally noticing how red his face was, “are you sick?” it looked more like he was blushing to her, but that couldn’t be right.

“I’m fine,” he told her, trying to sound believable, “I’m just feeling really hot right now. It feels really warm in here to me.”

“Maybe we should try another store,” she suggested, “just wait here and I’ll be right back after I change.”

“Where would I go?” Kai laughed as she left. The better question was why would he leave her. Even if Mi Sun didn’t love him back and picked one of his brothers, Kai refused to ever leave her. That might be selfish or stupid in the eyes of some people, but he just couldn’t bring himself to ever leave her.

Kai knew is brothers all felt the same way, would all refuse to leave their Mi Sun for anything. If she did return his feelings, Kai promised himself that he wouldn’t do anything to force his brothers away. They would already be in enough pain that she’d rejected them, he couldn’t add to that pain by ordering them away just so he could have her all to himself. Kai knew his brothers all felt the same way.

No matter who Mi Sun chose to love, they would be as one.

“Back,” Mi Sun smiled, rushing back to stand beside Kai, “were do you want to go.”

“I didn’t really think about that,” Kai admitted as they left the store.

“We could always just wonder around the mall,” she suggested, “that’s what me and some of my old friends used to do when we had the time.”

“Old friends?” he asked as they began to walk, “what old friends?”

“Some girls I used to hang out with when I was in high school,” she explained, “but we’ve grown apart in recent years.”

“That’s too bad,” he frowned, “why did you grow apart?”

“They went off to university,” Mi Sun explained, “and I started working at the boarding house. We’ve all had different experiences that have shaped us in different ways. We have different priorities now and, well, we just don’t match up as friends very well anymore.”

“I guess that’s to be expected,” Kai admitted, but he still felt bad for Mi Sun. she didn’t have many females in her life – she didn’t have any come to think of it – so it made him sad to know she’d grown apart from her only female friends.

“Can we take a look in here?” Mi Sun asked, pulling Kai to a stop in front of a store with dozens of chocolate goodies on display in the front window.

“Sure,” Kai grinned, eyeing some of the treats himself.

Once inside, all the pair could smell was chocolate. All the shelves were filled with dozens of treats made using chocolate; chocolate covered apples, chocolate bars, and chocolate coated marshmallows for example. Kai was practically drooling at the sight and Mi Sun was no better as she eyed everything, her desire to try everything clear in her eyes.

N, who had the misfortune of following them that day, cursed his luck. Being around so much chocolate goodness and unable to eat any of it was horrible for him. Silently, the invisibility demon cursed his masters and his bad luck. Why couldn’t one of his brother’s be in charge of surveillance today?

“See anything you want to get?” Kai asked, following after Mi Sun as she browsed the shelves.

“Everything looks so good,” she chuckled, “but I’m trying to find one thing I want.”

“Good idea,” Kai smiled, “if you tried everything here, you’d get sick.”

The pair spent a few more minutes – that felt like an eternity in hell for poor N – looking around the store before Mi Sun decided to buy something. While following her around, Kai had grabbed a few things himself. Not all of it was for him, most of it was going to his brothers with a bit going to Yong Guk and the boys. Anything left over would belong to Kai.

“Ready to pay?” he asked her, pulling out his wallet before Mi Sun could even think about pulling out her own money, “my treat.”

“Alright then,” She nodded, “after this we can get some lunch and then head home.”

“Deal,” he nodded as they made their way to the register. Silently, N breathed a sigh of relief, happy to know he’d soon be out of the store. Unfortunately, he went through similar torture when the pair he was following got lunch in the food court.

“Thank you for today, oppa,” Mi Sun told Kai was they walked home, “I had fun.”

“I’m happy you enjoyed it,” he replied, smiling happily knowing that she’d enjoyed spending the day with him and that he hadn’t messed everything up.

A/N: poor N, surrounded with yummy things to eat and unable to eat any of it. And Kai, so cute when he’s nervous!! Thank you to all my subscribers! Please leave a comment if you have the time.