Chapter 34

My Twelve Guardians

“Goodnight,” Mi Sun heard Kris call out to his brothers before he started to head up stairs. Taking a deep breath, she prepared herself to ask what she wanted to ask.

Honestly, she had no idea if he would agree to her request. In fact, she felt a bit foolish for even wanting to ask. She could only imagine how Kris would react when she asked him. Would he laugh at her? Or many just keep walking, pretending she hadn’t even opened ?

“Mi Sun?” Kris asked when he reached the top of the stairs and saw her waiting by the door to her bedroom, “what are you doing up? It’s late, you should be sleeping already.”

“I, er, wanted to ask you something,” she replied, unsure if she should actually ask him or make something up.

“Yes?” Kris tried to think of anything she could want to ask him.

“Could you read to me?” she finally said, blushing madly, “like when I was little?”

“Sure,” Kris smiled brightly and walked over to her, “what book did you have in mind?”

Getting over her surprise that he’d agreed so quickly, Mi Sun took his hand and pulled him into her room. Youngjae would never let her forget it if he came out and saw – or heard – what she had Kris doing.

“This book,” she told him, grabbing said book from her night table and handing it to him.

Born at Midnight,” Kris read the cover, “what’s it about?”

“A camp for supernatural teens to learn how to use their powers,” she explained, “it’s really good.”

“Alright then,” Kris nodded, letting Mi Sun cuddle up in her bed before sitting down beside her. After making himself comfortable, Kris started to read.

Kris had to admit, he didn’t think the book would be very interesting to him. He’d read the back of the book before starting and thought it would focus a lot more on the relationship between the main character – Kylie – and the two male leads. But it didn’t thankfully – he didn’t know if he’d be able to stand it if the whole book was about some girl crying over her love life. Sure Kylie’s love life played a role, but it was more about her trying to deal with her supernatural status than anything else. Kris even found himself cracking up more then once while he read.

Around page 103, Kris noticed that Mi Sun was asleep.

“Maybe I should just keep reading,” he muttered to himself, wanting to know what happened next. But instead he marked the page, put the book back on the night table, and stood to leave.

“Don’t go,” Mi Sun muttered, half asleep as she grabbed Kris’ hand, “please stay.”

“Alright,” he nodded, crawling under the covers with her and pulling her close.

Mi Sun smiled slightly before finally closing her eyes completely and falling asleep. Kris watched her, admiring how pretty she was and how peaceful she looked. It was no wonder he and his brothers had fallen in love with her. He’d fallen for some of his masters in the past, several of his bothers had too, but their feelings for those women had never come close to how they felt about Mi Sun.

No, what they felt for Mi Sun was something altogether different. This love was stronger, deeper, than anything they had ever felt in the past. It kind of sacred Kris a little bit, but it also thrilled him beyond belief. Honestly, it felt like something out of a sappy romantic movie. But Kris didn’t care, the love he felt for the girl in his arms was too wonderful to worry about silly things like that.

With that thought in mind, Kris drifted off to sleep, a smile on his face that matched Mi Sun’s perfectly.

Morning came much too soon for Kris’ like and he was even less pleased to find that Mi Sun was already awake and in the bathroom. The demon frowned, wondering why she couldn’t have slept in for once. At the very least she could have waited for him to wake up before going about her morning routine.

“You’re awake,” Mi Sun grinned a few minutes later when she returned to the room, hair still wet from her shower and house coat wrapped tightly around her body, “I hope I didn’t wake you. I thought you looked like you could use a few extra minutes this morning.”

“You didn’t wake me,” Kris told her, letting out a yawn while he stretched, “and thank you for the concern. Do you want me to leave so you can get changed?”

“That would be great,” she giggled, “Youngjae’s already in the bathroom, so I can’t change there.” he nodded again and got up to leave. Just before exiting the room, Kris turned to ask Mi Sun a question.

“Mi Sun?” he called, getting her attention before she could get too involved in finding what to wear for the day.

“Yes?” she asked.

“Can we do this again tomorrow night?” Kris asked, “It was nice.”

“Sure,” she smiled, laughing a little, “The book hooked you, didn’t it?”

“Yeah,” he admitted, “how many are there? Just one?”

“Let me think,” she tried to recall how many books were in the series, “let me think. Born at Midnight, Awaken at Dawn, Taken at Dusk, Whispers at Moonrise, and Chosen at Nightfall. Plus, there are the two additional books that focus on Della. Oh! And there’s another book coming out this year.”

“That many?” Kris blinked, clearly surprised at the amount.

“Just means you be reading to me before bed for a long time to come, right?” she giggled.

Kris smiled before leaving, shutting the door behind him. The smile stayed in place all through the day until Suho finally bit the bullet and asked why Kris was so happy.

“I read to Mi Sun last night,” Kris told the other leader, trying not to brag, “and I got to sleep with her in her bed. And we’re probably going to do it again tonight. And the night after that. And again after that.” Kris didn’t mean to sound like he was bragging, but he was just so happy that the words slipped out.

Suho nodded, clearly jealous of the older demon.

A/N: honestly, I picked Born at Midnight ‘cuz that was the only book I could think of to use that was part of a long (longer then Harry Potter) series ‘cuz I like the idea of Kris reading to Mi Sun every night before bed so much that I want hint that they would keep up with it for a long time to come (even if I’m not going to writing about it lol). I didn’t mean to promote the Shadow Falls series so much (opps?) but I can’t say I regret it ‘cuz I love the books so much (killed me having to wait to get book 3, 4, and 5 for X-mas and not just 'cuz book two ends on such a major cliff hanger).