Chapter 22

My Twelve Guardians

Sehun lightly knocked on Mi Sun’s bedroom door, calling out her name gently. All morning he hadn’t heard a single sound from her room and he was starting to get worried. Even Daehyun hadn’t gotten a response from her when he’d knocked on her door before leaving for school. It worried all of the boys – human and demon alike – but they all brushed it off as her sleeping in. Now it was noon and she still hadn’t left her room.

“Sehun?” Mi Sun asked, her voice coming out rough and strained, after she opened the door. She opened to say something else, but instead she started coughing. Sehun rushed to her side, leading her back to bed while trying to dig out his phone to call Lay. Darn it, why had the unicorn decided to go with Yong Guk to the bank? Why couldn’t he be here now, helping heal Mi Sun from whatever was making her sick?

“Mi Sun?” he asked, pulling her blankets over her, “can I get you anything?”

“Water,” she requested, trying to keep her words to a minimum. It seemed like the more she tried to talk the more she coughed, so she decided to avoid talking as much as possible.

Sehun nodded before rushing off to the kitchen, almost running into Himchan on the way.

“Slow down,” Himchan laughed, “you’re running like the house is on fire.”

“Mi Sun’s sick,” Sehun explained, “I’m getting her water.”

“Then you better hurry,” the human laughed, “or she’ll fall asleep before you can get it to her. She always gets super sleepy when she’s sick.” Sehun nodded once before rushing off again. Once Sehun was gone, Himchan quickly texted Yong Guk and the others, letting them know that Mi Sun was sick, before continuing with his work.

Meanwhile, Sehun was on his way back to her room, trying to go as fast as he could without spilling the water. This, of course, failed when he ran into Suho, but thankfully the older demon was able to save the water with his power.

“What’s going on?” Suho asked and Sehun shrugged, telling him it was nothing to worry about.

Honestly, Sehun didn’t want to tell the other that Mi Sun wasn’t feeling well. Like most of his brothers, he hadn’t gotten a lot of time to have Mi Sun to himself since finding her. In contrast, Suho had been granted a whole week to have her undivided attention. If he told Suho she was sick, then he’d lose his chance to be alone with her. So, he kept his mouth shut.

Upon returning to Mi Sun’s room, Sehun found her struggling to stay awake.  Clearly, she was tired and just wanted to sleep, but she’d stayed awake for him. Sehun smiled slightly, feeling happy and a bit guilty that she’d waited so long for him.

“Here,” he smiled, holding the glass up to her lips. She flashed him a slightly annoyed look, silently telling him that she could do it herself, but she still let him help her. Once done, Sehun set to work fixing her blankets and making sure she was warm and comfortable.

“Can you pass me Slush?” she asked, pointing to an old dog plushy resting on the ground beside her bed. Sehun nodded, but hesitated once he had the stuffed animal in his hands.

“I remember this,” he smiled, his mind taking him back to the day he’d given it to her. Mi Sun was only a year old then and she probably didn’t remember when he placed the dog plushy in her crib. But he remembered and it was one of his favorite memories. To know she’d kept it with her even after they gave her up filled his heart with warmth and joy.

“You do?” Mi Sun asked, reaching out to take her stuffed animal from him, “I’ve had Slush all my life. I can’t remember when I didn’t have him.”

“Of course I remember,” Sehun grinned, overjoyed to hear her say that, “I gave him to you. For your first birthday.” Mi Sun looked at Slush and then at Sehun, a smile forming on her face before she pulled the demon into a hug.

“Thank you,” she whispered. All through her time at the orphanage and even after she left, Slush had always been important to her. Even with Yong Guk, Himchan, and the boys, there were times she felt alone and unloved. Times when she saw other kids with their parents and wondered why her parents gave her away. Every time this happened, she’d hug Slush and remember little things from her pre-orphanage life.

Someone – Baekhyun – serving as her night light.

A man – Suho – helping give her a bath only to spill most of the water on the floor.

A giant – Kris – reading to her.

Two boys – Chen and Chanyeol – taking her to the park and yelling that only they could take her.

And a boy – Sehun – handing her Slush and saying that the plushy would always protect her when he couldn’t as he cried.

Every time, she felt loved. She couldn’t remember their faces or their names, but she knew that those people had loved her. Knowing that it was Sehun how had given her Slush, she felt extremely grateful.

“It’s fine,” the wind demon smiled, “I’m the one who should be thanking you for keeping him.”

“One of the other kids at the orphanage tried to take him away once,” she admitted, cuddling up in her bed and hugging Slush tightly to her chest, “I wouldn’t let him take Slush, so he and his friends beat me up. Yong Guk oppa and Himchan oppa saved me. That’s how we became friends.” Sehun nodded, making a mental note to thank to two boys later.

“So Slush helped you three become friends, huh?” he asked, smiling at the toy. Who would have thought that the toy he gave her for her first birthday would turn out to be so important.

“Yeah,” she smiled, slowly drifting off to sleep again, “thank you, Sehun oppa.”

Sehun opened his mouth to reply, but then it registered in his mind what she had called him. Sehun oppa. Mi Sun hadn’t called any of the guys oppa yet. But she’d called him oppa. A grin slowly formed on Sehun’s face and he had to bite his tongue so he wouldn’t cry out in joy, waking Mi Sun who’d already fallen asleep.

“Get better soon, Mi Sun,” he smiled, slowly pulling himself away as he heard Lay return home. He hated leaving Mi Sun’s side, but he silently promised to be there when she woke up. Now, he had to get Lay to make her feel better.

A/N: awww, so cute~! I can just picture Sehun’s face at being called ‘oppa’ by Mi Sun. thanks to all my subscribers and please leave a comment if you have time~!