Chapter 17

My Twelve Guardians

A/N: happy (Canadian) Thanks Giving everyone! I’m thankful for all of you loyal readers, so lots of love from the Great White North (aka Canada)

Upon Mi Sun and Daehyun’s request, the twelve demons waited until morning to tell the others. There was a lot to tell and it would be best for them to hear it after they were fully rested. If they were only half awake, then they might miss or forget a key detail and that wouldn’t do at all. and so morning came and everyone settled into the living room to hear what the demons wanted to say.

Silence filled the living room after the twelve demons revealed everything to Yong Guk, Himchan, Youngjae, Jongup, and Zelo. From her place between Luhan and Sehun, Mi Sun sat and carefully watched them. If they reacted badly, she would lose her family, the only family she had in the whole world other than Daehyun.

Without a word, Youngjae left the room, slamming a door that she figured wasn’t the door to his room. In all likelihood, he’d probably be spending the next few nights in Zelo and Jongup’s room so he could be away from Daehyun. The next to stand was Yong Guk. Everyone watched as the oldest walked right up to Kris and punched him in the face (A/N: I feel like I should be saying ‘sorry’ to Kris right now). When he turned to face Mi Sun, she hung her head in shame, expecting him to yell at her.

“You should have told me,” Yong Guk sighed, “I could have helped.”

“I’m sorry,” she replied. What else could she tell him? That she didn’t say anything because she thought he’d kick her or the demons out? That would make him even angrier then he was. Or it would make him really sad, wondering what he did to make her think so low of him.

“So you’re really demons?” Zelo asked, “And you’ve known noona’s family for years and years?”

“Yes,” Suho nodded, taking over for Kris while the older held his bleeding nose. For a human, Yong Guk packed a surprisingly strong punch.

“Cool!” Zelo beamed, “I was right noona! I was right about that contract!” Mi Sun couldn’t stop herself from laughing as Zelo started doing a little victory dance. Soon, Himchan, Yong Guk, and Jongup joined her while Daehyun tried to supress his own laughter. The twelve demons just watched from the sidelines as the happy little family recovered from the news that they had just received. Youngjae’s anger was unfortunate, but understandable, and they just hoped he could get over it before it cost him something.

Like his bond with Mi Sun and Daehyun.

“So what are you planning to do? Yong Guk finally asked, turning to Suho and Kris.

“We’re going to go with you all everywhere,” Suho explained, “there isn’t much we can do other than wait for the enemy to attack.”

“It also makes sence to enroll Sehun, Kai, Tao, and D.O in school,” Kris added, “we’ll get them enrolled in the same classes as Daehyun, Youngjae, Jongup, and Zelo so one of us is always with them. The rest of us will stay here and only leave when you, Himchan, and Mi Sun leave.” Yong Guk nodded.

“Well, then who’s coming with Daehyun, Jongup and me?” Mi Sun asked, “We need to do some grocery shopping and now is as good a time as any.” They didn’t really need to do any grocery shopping, Mi Sun just wanted to get out of the house and away from Youngjae until he cooled off.

Himchan and Yong Guk shared an amused look as the twelve demons ended up playing rock-paper-scissors to decide who got to go with their masters and Jongup. While it was clear all twelve demons deeply cared about Mi Sun, the oldest human boys could tell that feelings ran deeper with some of the boys.

“Take care,” Himchan grinned as Mi Sun, Daehyun, and Jongup left with Baekhyun, D.O, and Lay. The human boy then turned to face the rest of the demons who sat around the living room looking depressed that they couldn’t go, too. Of all of them, Himchan noticed that Luhan, Kris, Suho, Kai, Tao, and Sehun looked more upset then the others.

Himchan was about to point this out, about to try his hand at embarrassing the six demons in question, when Youngjae came down stairs.

“Where did noona go?” Youngjae asked, looking around the living room, blatantly ignoring the remaining demons.

“She went out shopping,” Zelo shrugged. Sure he was a little worried for his noona and hyungs, but Suho had assured him that Baekhyun, D.O, and Lay could protect them so he wasn’t completely panicked.

“What?” Youngjae yelled, turning to glare at Yong Guk and Himchan like it was their fault, “people are trying to kill her and you just let her go out shopping? And I bet Daehyun and Jongup are with her. You just let them go by themselves?” he turned his glare on the demons who glared right on back. There was no love lost between the human teen and the immortals.

“Baekhyun, D.O, and Lay went with them,” Sehun growled, “they wouldn’t let anything happen to our masters and Jongup.”

“Like I’ll believe you,” the human boy snarled back, “you left Mi Sun alone and you never even knew about Daehyun until the day you came here. You didn’t even believe it really was Mi Sun at first, you would have just let her die if she didn’t prove who she was to you.” Several of the demons flinched when Youngjae said that. It was true and that truth hurt.

“Enough,” Yong Guk suddenly yelled, smacking Youngjae upside the head, “that’s enough, Youngjae.”

“But, hyung,” the younger started but was cut off.

“No,” Yong Guk’s glare didn’t soften in the slightest as he looked Youngjae in the eye, “they aren’t going to let anything happen to Mi Sun and Daehyun, so just let them do their job. They don’t have to protect us, but they are so show some respect.”

“Giving up Mi Sun was hard enough for them,” Himchan added, his tone softer then Yong Guk’s was, “and it isn’t their fault that they didn’t know about Daehyun. Don’t hurt them by bringing it up. Or by reminding them of all the time they missed with Mi Mi and Daehyun when they were growing up.”

“I still hate them,” Youngjae finally said, looking at the demons one last time before returning to his room.

“He’s acting like a spoiled brat,” Yong Guk frowned.

“He’ll get over it,” Himchan sighed sadly, “he just doesn’t like how everything is changing. He’s probably just scared that this will break our family apart and he’ll be alone again. At the very least he’s afraid that Mi Sun and Daehyun will end up leaving. Remember how his parents abandoned him? Gave him away and made sure he knew they were never coming back for him?” Yong Guk nodded. Kai looked at the stairs, remembering what he’d read in Youngjae’s file. Apparently, there was more to the story then the documents had let on.

Youngjae’s entrance into the orphanage had defiantly left him with abandonment issues Yong Guk recalled. At first, he’d refused to become friends with the rest of them, yelling about how they would just leave him in the end and that he refused to get hurt once more. Over several weeks, he’d started playing with Daehyun a bit, but kept his distance from the others. What finally earned Youngjae’s trust was when Mi Sun took the punishment for shattering a window for him.

When Mi Sun did that, it seemed to prove to Youngjae that the six did care about him, that they wouldn’t leave him like his parents had. After he’d become part of the group, he’d often clung to Mi Sun’s or Daehyun’s arm, refusing to let go for anything (A/N: and I mean anything). At the time, Yong Guk had just found it funny to see two of his dongsaeng clinging to Mi Sun so tightly that the poor girl couldn’t move.

Naturally, the entrance of the twelve demons wouldn’t go over too well. The twelve were Mi Sun and Daehyun’s real family. They could take them away, physically and emotionally, and Youngjae would be abandoned all over again. While Yong Guk still thought the younger was being too mean, he did understand why.

Upstairs, curled up in his bed, Youngjae was looking at an old photo. In the picture, he stood with his family, his real one. He could remember how happy he had been, hugging his mother and laughing with his father. He never would have thought that his parents would just give him up a year later. They looked like they still loved him in the photo. But then, his mother hadn’t given birth to the perfect son at that point. No, that came later, right before they left him and made it clear just how unwanted in the world he was.

Youngjae glanced up at the framed photo on his dresser that had been taken when he and the others moved into the boarding house. In this picture, he stood beside Mi Sun, her arms thrown around his and Daehyun’s shoulders to bring them tightly against her sides as they smiled at the camera. Behind them Yong Guk and Himchan had stuck secret agent poses, purposefully trying to mess up the picture. In the front row was Zelo and Jongup, flashing peace signs along with their biggest smiles.

Youngjae bit his lip. Mi Sun looked like she still loved him. So did Daehyun. But would the twelve demons change that? Was he going to be left alone again?

A/N: poor Youngjae and his abandonment issues. His parents messed him up in the head good. Thank you, subscribers. please comment!!