Chapter 24

My Twelve Guardians

Chen silently watched as MI Sun moved around the kitchen, dodging D.O and Jongup as the three made dinner. He was well aware that she’d spent most of the day before with Kris. And the day before that she’s been with Sehun. A few days before that Kai got her full attention for a few hours and so did D.O. The night before that, Baekhyun had some time alone with her and Lay had her all to himself when they went grocery shopping.

Honestly, he was starting to feel a bit jealous.

When Mi Sun was a child, his brothers had always occupied most of her time. Every time he tried to get her focused on him, someone else managed to out shine him. The only time he could get alone with her was when they went to the park. Then – assuming Chanyeol wasn’t with them – he got her all to himself. But those trips didn’t get to happen as often as he liked thanks to the constant threat of their enemy attacking.

Now, Chen was sure the same thing was happening all over again. But it was worse because he also had to contend with Yong Guk and the rest of the boys. It seemed like the two oldest always had tasks they wanted her to do, like laundry, and the four youngest always wanted her to play with them or help them with their homework. And when it wasn’t any of that stuff, they wanted family time.

Chen had lost count of how many times he’s lost her attention thanks to one of the other males living in the boarding house.

“Chen?” Mi Sun asked, startling him a little, “are you alright?”

“Yeah,” he tried to smile and sound convincing, not wanting to worry her, “I’m fine.” She nodded, but it didn’t look like she bought his lie. Regardless, she returned to making dinner and left Chen alone with his thoughts once more. A part of him was happy she’d dropped the issue, but another was rather annoyed that she’s moved on so quickly.

The annoyed feeling grew all through dinner as Mi Sun talked to just about everyone besides him. To her credit, it wasn’t like he spoke a lot in the first place and when he did open his mouth someone else always ended up cutting him off. After the third time it happened he’d given up, choosing to sit in silence as his master talked to everyone else. She still could have started a conversation with him, though.

After dinner, Chen retreated to the roof to be alone. He felt bitter and jealous and sad, the mixture of feelings making him feel worse than he’d ever felt before. He just didn’t get why he couldn’t be as close to Mi Sun as the others. No one else seemed to feel the same way he did, so why was he the odd man out?

“Chen?” Mi Sun called out, making her way over to the lightning demon, “what’s wrong?”

“Mi Sun!” he jumped slightly in surprise, not expecting to see her on the roof, “What are you doing here?”

“You’re upset,” she explained, “and you didn’t want to talk about it before. I thought maybe you’d like to talk now. You don’t have to if you don’t want to, but it might make you feel better.”

“You don’t have to worry about me,” he tried to smile, touched that she cared, “I’ll be fine.”

“I don’t like how you’re brushing me off like that,” Mi Sun frowned, sitting down beside him, “I know something’s wrong, so stop lying about it. If you don’t want to talk, then just say you don’t want to talk.” Chen frowned, knowing she was right. He didn’t like lying to Mi Sun any more then she liked being lied to. He just didn’t want to worry her or make her feel guilty that she wasn’t spending as much time with him as he would like.

“I just,” he tried, “sometimes I feel like you don’t pay as much attention to me as you do the others.” He glanced over at her from the corner of his eye, wincing slightly when he saw how sad and regretful she looked.

“I’m sorry,” she finally said, quickly hushing the demon when he tried to say anything about it not being her fault, “I know I should pay more attention to you. And some of the others as well, you aren’t the only one I haven’t gotten to spend a lot of time with. It’s just so hard trying to divide my time equally between you, your brothers, Daehyun, the oppas, Youngjae, Jongup, and Zelo while still having time for myself and my chores.”

“I know,” Chen smiled kindly, trying to make her feel better, “I shouldn’t get so upset. I know you’re trying your best.”

The pair fell into silence, simply enjoying each other’s company while they could. Both knew it was only a matter of time before someone else came along, winning her attention away from Chen. However, when Yong Guk came along asking Mi Sun to join him and the others for a movie, she declined of offer. Chen and Yong Guk both looked at her, puzzled over why she’d pass up time with her family. But she offered no explanation and Yong Guk left, figuring she had a good reason.

“Why did you do that?” Chen asked, clearly not getting why she’d said no.

“I can spend time with the others later,” she smiled, “right now I’m spending time with you.” Chen blinked, still slightly confused before he smiled. He felt a little bit guilty that he was taking her away from her family, but more than that he felt happy. Mi Sun had picked HIM over her family and he was insanely happy that she had.

“So Kris said you turn into a scorpion?” she asked, trying to make conversation and learn about him at the same time.

“Yeah,” he smiled, “a really big one. Like the kind you’d find in ‘nature turned evil’ horror movies only real. And nowhere near as evil.” Mi Sun laughed at his reference, nodding in agreement that he wasn’t evil.

“And you control lighting?” she asked again, “can I see?” Chen nodded, smiling brightly at being asked to show off his power.

Chen raised his hand towards the sky, summoning up a lightning bolt that shot down from the cloud filled sky into his hand. Mi Sun watched transfixed as the electricity bounced from Chen’s left hand to his right, occasionally running up one arm and down the other. He was more than content to sit there, letting her watch him manipulate the electricity, but it was starting to get late and it looked like it was going to start raining at any second.

“Why don’t you head in,” he suggested, “I’ll be right behind you once I discharge.” She nodded before heading in. Chen watched her leave before jumping off the roof, landing just a graceful as a cat in the backyard. Chen placed his hands on the ground, transferring the electricity from him to the ground before heading in.

Lightning flashed and the sky opened up seconds before Chen got inside. However this wasn’t what made his pause for a moment. Turning around, his dark eyes scanned the yard, looking for anything out of place. He could have sworn he’d heard someone yelp as the rain started.

But he found nothing and entered the boarding house, the incident disregarded as nothing more than his imagination. He was just paranoid about Mi Sun’s safety, that was all. No one could get near the house much less inside it, not with him and his brother’s watching.

N breathed a sigh of relief, thankful his carelessness hadn’t gotten him caught, before heading home in hopes of finding a change of clothes and an umbrella.

A/N: awww, poor Chen. Poor guy feels left out when it comes to Mi Sun. and N almost got himself caught lolz. Poor guy’s soaked to the bone, though. Hope all you Chanyeol lover are happy, he’s getting some much needed TLC in the next chapter.