Chapter 16

My Twelve Guardians

Night found Luhan and Kris sitting on the roof of the boarding house. By random draw – shortest straw losses – the pair had been elected to be the first watch. Even knowing how important their job was, the two couldn’t help griping a little as the temperature started dropping.

“It’s probably going to start snowing soon,” Luhan commented, looking up at the night sky, “can’t say I’m looking forewords to that.”

“Should have pulled rank,” Kris muttered, breathing on his hands to warm them up, “Xiumin and Chanyeol are better fitted for this.”

“Suho said the same thing,” a female voice called and the pair jumped. For a moment they thought it was the enemy, but then their brains defrosted enough to realize it was just Mi Sun.

“You should be in bed,” Kris told her as she walked over to them. She ignored him and started wrapping the blankets she’d brought around their shoulders.

“And you should have remembered the blankets,” she grinned back, sitting down between the two with her own blanket around her shoulders, “and I couldn’t sleep. Thought I might as well help you two stay up.”

“You didn’t need to do that,” Luhan smiled, “but we appreciate the blankets.”

“Daehyun’s going to be bringing some hot chocolate,” Mi Sun said right before the younger boy joined them with a tray of warm drinks.

“Now you really should be in bed,” Kris frowned, “you have school tomorrow.”

“No, I don’t,” Daehyun denied, “It’s the weekend.” Kris opened his mouth, but closed it when he couldn’t think of another reason for Daehyun to return to bed. The younger boy passed out the drinks before sitting down between Luhan and Mi Sun. The older girl wrapped part of her blanket around him, bringing Daehyun closer to her before taking a sip of her drink.

“What do you plan on doing after school?” Luhan asked Daehyun. The immortal deer really wanted the younger boy to like him and trust him with Mi Sun and the best way for that to happen was for the pair to form a friendship. Step one; get to know Daehyun.

“I haven’t really thought about it,” Daehyun answered honestly, “but I want to do something to help noona and my hyungs.”

“You don’t have to do that,” Mi Sun told him, “Yong Guk, Himchan and I want you to follow your heart, to do what you want with your life. If you stay here and help us, we’re always going to feel like we held you back.”

“But you’ve done so much for us,” he argued, “you’ve given up so many things so we don’t have to suffer. Even when we were little you three were always sacrificing things for us. I want to do something for you guys for once.”

“Silly, Daehyunnie,” she smiled, ruffling his hair, “just seeing you and the others happy makes us happy. So long as your four live good lives, it’s all worth it.”

“But,” Daehyun tried to protest, but Kris jumped in.

“If you want to pay them back for everything they’ve done, then make something of yourself,” Kris said, “follow your own path in life and be great at it. That’s the only way everything Mi Sun, Yong Guk, and Himchan have done will be worth it.”

“Such touching words.”

Luhan and Kris were on their feet in a second, glaring at the cloaked man standing before them. Mi Sun and Daehyun stood as well, the older pushing the younger behind her.

“Who are you?” Kris glared and his eyes flashed red. The dragon demon was ready for an attack, ready to change into his dragon form at a moment’s notice.

“Just call me Stalker,” the man said, “and I just wanted to see the Jung children.” He locked eyes with Mi Sun before his black orbs shifted to Daehyun. “They really do look like their mother.”

“They?” Luhan questioned. Only Mi Sun was a Jung by blood, Daehyun was adopted. Did their enemy not know this?

“Yes,” Stalker nodded, “didn’t you demons know? Their mother was pregnant when their father died. As soon as she gave birth, she left her second child, her son, at the same place her first born, her daughter, had been left. Surely you can do the math? Mi Sun’s father died in October, a week before Mi Sun was left at the orphanage. Nine months later, we have June. The second Jung child, the boy, was born in June. This boy here, Daehyun, was born in June.”

“You’re lying,” Kris growled, “we would have known if Mi Sun’s mother was pregnant.”

“How could you demons have known?” Stalker asked, rising an eyebrow, “Even their own mother didn’t know until she started to show signs of pregnancy and that wasn’t until she’d already left. If you’re so unsure, run a DNA test.”

“How would you know any of this?” Luhan fired back, “I don’t think their mother would have willingly told you.”

“Who said she told me willingly?” Stalker smirked. His answer just seemed to anger Kris and Luhan more. The older of the pair backed up, getting closer to Mi Sun and Daehyun while the younger of the two moved closer to the man, putting some distance between himself and his master – or masters – so that he wouldn’t knock them off the roof or hurt them.

“I’d keep my mouth shut if I was you,” Kris growled. Mi Sun could almost see the heat radiating off of Kris's body, like the air around him was being affected by his anger.

“Don’t need to be so angry,” Stalker frowned, “I just wanted to warn you. No need to start a fight.”

“Warn us?” Luhan scoffed, “about what?”

“That they’re coming,” Stalker shrugged, “the ones who lead your enemy, who give the orders. They’re sick of playing around, waiting for what they want. You aren’t going to be dealing with common thugs any more, you’re going to be dealing with the ring leaders.”

With no more said, Stalker vanished. There was no smoke, no flash of light, he was just gone. His warning left Kris and Luhan feeling cold. There was just something about his warning, something that made them believe him.

“Get Mi Sun and Daehyun inside,” Kris told Luhan, “I’ll wake up the others. We need to tell everyone what’s going on. And I mean everyone.”

Yong Guk wasn’t going to like hearing this, but he needed to know. Himchan, Youngjae, Jongup, and Zelo needed to know the truth, too. Everyone had to know about the danger coming and they needed a plan.

Kris stood alone on the roof a little longer than the others, looking around at the building surrounding the boarding house. This was his master’s world. It was her—their life. And Kris would be damned if he left it be taken away from them.

A/N: things are really starting to heat up, huh? Wonder what Yong Guk and the others are going to say when they find out what the EXO boys are. Bet you all can’t wait for the next chapter now, huh? And as for the whole “Daehyun is her real brother” thing…….. bet cha didn’t see that one coming, huh? Please comment and subscribe!!!