Chapter 25

My Twelve Guardians

“Chanyeol,” Mi Sun called the happy virus, “I’m going out for a walk, do you want to come?” the sound of footsteps thundering down the stairs answered her.

“Ready!” Chanyeol smiled. Mi Sun raised an eyebrow at his dishevel appearance, but let it slide. He was clearly too excited to care, so why bother caring herself? Better to just go out and have fun with the happy giant.

“Have fun and be careful,” Yong Guk called out as the pair passed his office. Mi Sun was quick to brush off his concern with a simple “we will,” but Chanyeol took the warning to heart. The smile dropped from his face and he nodded, locking eyes with Yong Guk as he nodded. There was no way Chanyeol would let anything happen to Mi Sun.

“Hurry up,” Mi Sun laughed, holding open the door for Chanyeol, “or I’ll leave you behind and go by myself.” That snapped the phoenix back to reality and he ran to catch up with the girl.

The pair made their way to the park, talking about any random thought that popped into one of their minds. Truthfully, this was something Mi Sun loved about Chanyeol. She could talk to him about anything – birds, music, or the weather – and he could turn it into a fun conversation. Plus, it was just plain fun talking to Chanyeol, to see his eyes light up as he got excited and his smile grow with each word.

“It’s been so long since I last came to a park with you,” Chanyeol said, looking around as the park before them. His eyes focused primarily on the children playing with their parents. In his mind, he recalled when he used to play with Mi Sun like that.

He’d loved watching her play on the swings or the slide. She’d always insist that he pushed her so she’s go higher than the top of the swing or to watch her while she went down the “big kids” slide. Sometimes, he would follow her around, chasing the young girl as she ran about the playground. Other times, he’d take a seat on the ‘parents’ bench’ and watch her play with the other kids.

This park wasn’t the same one he’d taken her to, but that didn’t matter to him. Memories were memories. If he couldn’t go to the old park to relive them with Mi Sun, then he’d go to the new park to make new ones with her instead.

“Come on,” he smiled, dragging her over to the empty swing set, “I’ll push you.” At first, Mi Sun protested against his idea, telling him that she didn’t need to be pushed anymore. But she gave in the second Chanyeol gave her a hurt look. The phoenix didn’t particularly like using his sad face to make Mi Sun do something, but he really wanted to push her on the swing like he had when she was little.

“Chanyeol,” Mi Sun laughed as he pushed her, making her go higher and higher into the air, “you’re making it go too high.” Heeding her warning, he made his pushes gentler so she didn’t go as high. He couldn’t blame her for being careful, the swing set was so old he didn’t think it could take an adult going too high without breaking.

After a while, the pair grew tired of the swings and chose to walk around the park like Mi Sun had originally intended. Like on their walk to the park, the conversation flowed easily as they jumped from topic to topic. Mi Sun laughed whenever Chanyeol got excited, his arms waving about when he got especially excited, and he grinned whenever he got her to laugh.

“This is pointless,” Ken groaned as he watched the pair, his power allowing him to hear their every word without even being near them.

“How do you think I feel?” N sighed, lying back against the roof the pair were sitting on, “I’ve been watching their house, remember? EXO are too busy wooing their master to do anything else.”

“But they’re not too busy to forget about their job,” Ravi disagreed slightly, “they only spend as much time as they do with their master because they’ve made sure no one can hurt her or her family.”

“Not even a crack in their defence,” Hongbin nodded, “Leo hyung’s attack the other day made sure of that. They aren’t underestimating us at least.” Leo nodded in agreement, hand automatically moving to his wound that was almost fully healed. If he had of been allowed to use his own power instead of Ken’s power, maybe he wouldn’t have gotten hurt as bad. At the very least, D.O would have walked away with some pretty bad burns. But that would be going against orders and Leo couldn’t do that.

“They’ll crack in time,” N sighed again, trying – and failing – to sound reassuring, “our masters think so, anyway.”

“And they always know best, right?” Ravi raised an eye brow, rolling his eyes and scoffing.

“Better not let them hear you say that, hyung,” Hyuk warned. The youngest used a joking tone, but his brothers all knew how true his words really were. Ravi nodded, glancing around just to make sure that only his brothers had heard him. Better safe than sorry.

Back with Mi Sun and Chanyeol, the pair had taken seats in front of the fountain.

“How long do you think it will be before the snow comes?” she asked, looking up at the cold, gray sky above them. A cold wind kicked up and Mi Sun pulled her coat tighter around her. She glanced over at Chanyeol, giggling at all the strange looks he was getting from people due to the fact he wasn’t wearing a coat.

“Xiumin doesn’t think it will be too long,” he shrugged, “and he’s normally right about this kind of thing.” Chanyeol noticed the looks people kept giving him and turned to Mi Sun, a questioning look on his face, “why are the all looking at me like that?”

“It’s too cold to go without a coat,” she laughed, “and you forgot about yours.” He looked down, blushing in embarrassment once he realized his mistake.

Thanks to his power, Chanyeol never felt cold. Because his whole body was naturally warm, he could stand in the middle of a snow storm in nothing but a pair of shorts and a T-shirt without being bothered in the least. And if by chance the cold did start to bother him, he could just summon some fire balls to warm him up a little.

However, not wearing a coat seemed weird to regular humans. Mostly just those who didn’t know he was a demon. For the sake of blending in, Chanyeol was going to have to get a coat. He didn’t like it, coats made him all hot and sweaty, but it had to be done.

“Come on,” Mi Sun smiled, standing and holding out a hand to help pull him up, “let’s get you a coat.”

Chanyeol smiled, taking her hand and not letting go until they reached a clothing store. It felt good holding Mi Sun’s hand and he hated having to let go of it.

A/N: so Chanyeol got his fluffy one-on-one time. Hopefully you all liked it. Anyone think they know what Ken’s power is? And Leo didn’t use his real power when he fought D.O? then what’s his real power? I think it’s pretty easy but that’s probably ‘cuz I already know what it is. Is it just me, or does VIXX seem a little threatened by their masters? I wonder what’s the story on that one *evil I-know-something-you-don’t-know-‘cuz-I-wrote-the-story grin*