Chapter 26

My Twelve Guardians

Today, Tao told himself, he would get time alone with Mi Sun. By this point, only he, Luhan, and Xiumin had yet to spend much time alone with their master. Most of their brothers had spent whole days with her or even just a few hours. Suho had gotten to spend even more time than any of them because he got to her side first.

However, Tao planned to change that today.

He snuck into Mi Sun’s room before everyone else got up and laid out an outfit for her to wear. After that, he went to the kitchen to wait. He knew she would be one of the first ones to wake up – she always was – and that was when he would make his move. He planned to take her out for breakfast and then wander around the mall. After that he’d take her to lunch, nothing too fancy just something simple. From there, he’d take her someplace special, like the river bank. Finally, before heading home, he’d bring her someplace really nice for dinner.

Tao had full confidence that his plan was going to work. Unfortunately, it didn’t. Mi Sun told him that she couldn’t go out today the second she saw him waiting for her and his smile fell from his face.

“Why not?” he asked, trying to mask his hurt at her refusal.

“We’ve got to get the bills paid,” she explained, “everything’s been a little crazy lately so Yong Guk, Himchan, and I almost forgot. Plus cash has been a little tight lately and it’s been a costly month, so Yong Guk needs me there to help plan out how we’re going to pay for everything and still afford to pay for things like food.” Tao nodded and tried to smile, but he was still hurt that he’d lost his chance to spend the whole day with his master.

Yong Guk, who’d been right behind Mi Sun, saw right through Tao’s mask. He wasn’t a fool, he knew that the twelve demons were falling more and more in love with Mi Sun with each day that passed. Tao clearly had plans to get Mi Sun all to himself for today, plans that were now ruined because she had other important things to do.

“Don’t worry,” Yong Guk assured the time demon, “this isn’t going to take all day. I know you wanted the whole day with her, but half a day is still good right?” Tao sadly nodded, eyes locked onto Mi Sun as she started getting breakfast ready for everyone.

“Half a day is fine,” he mumbled before leaving the room to sulk alone in his bed.

“Is Mi Sun making breakfast?” D.O asked when Tao arrived at their shared room. The younger nodded and moved out of the elder’s way so he could help their master.

“Stupid brothers,” Tao muttered, falling onto his bed and hugging his pillow tightly to his chest, “stupid priorities. Stupid bills.” He kept muttering about everything that stood in his way of being alone with Mi Sun.

It wasn’t fair.

Why was it that everything had to be so hard? Even getting one day alone with Mi Sun was a challenge. He had to get around his eleven brothers and the six boys she called family, all of whom wanted alone time with her as well. Then, he had to work around the house hold chores, like laundry and cleaning. Even if he managed to get past both of those hurtles, there were still others, like Mi Sun needing to sleep or someone getting sick.

“Tao?” Suho asked as he past the younger’s room, “are you alright?”

“Why does it have to be so hard, hyung?” Tao asked, looking at the water demon with wet eyes, “I just want her to look at me, and only me, for a few hours. Why do I have to do so much work just to get a few hours with her?” Suho nodded, completely understanding.

“Mi Sun’s trying, too,” Suho smiled slightly, “she wants to spend as much time with us as we do with her. She wanted to spend the day with you, too, but Yong Guk needed her to help.”

“How do you know?” Tao grumbled.

“I overheard her talking to Yong Guk yesterday,” the older explained, “she kept trying to get out of it, but Yong Guk wouldn’t let her.” Suho left after that, closing the door behind him, and Tao frowned to himself. He hadn’t known she’d done that. And he’d gotten so upset that Mi Sun couldn’t spend the day with him, too. He’d probably made her feel guilty about having to tell him no.

Feeling horrible, Tao stayed locked in his room for the whole morning. Mi Sun was trying her best and he’d gone and made her feel like it wasn’t enough. How stupid and selfish could he be? Now she wouldn’t want to spend time with him, not after how he’d acted. Mi Sun would probably want to avoid him now and focus all her attention of his brothers.

“Tao?” Mi Sun called out a few hours later, knocking softly on the door in case he was sleeping, “are you in there?”

“I’m here,” he replied, opening his door for her. Even though he tried to mask his sadness, she saw the unhappiness in his eyes.

“Do you still want to go out?” she asked hesitantly, “I know it’s not the whole day, and I’m sorry about that, but—.” He quickly cut her off.

“No, I’m sorry,” Tao explained, “I should have realized you were trying your best, but instead I made you feel bad.”

“It’s fine, Tao,” she smiled, standing on her tip toes so she could playfully ruffle his hair, “I don’t mind.” She knew where he was coming from. Suho had explained the whole situation to her before he left to take Daehyun and the boys to school. All she needed to do was figure out a way to make Tao feel better.

“I still want to spend the rest of the day with you,” Tao told her, slightly hesitant to ask for her time, “If you want that is.”

“Sure,” Mi Sun smiled, taking Tao’s hand and leading him down stairs, “I can make us a picnic if you want.”

“Sure,” Tao smiled, liking the idea of having a picnic alone with MI Sun, “I can help you.”

The two had fun getting their picnic together, laughing together and joking about random things. Tao’s mood seemed to improve with every second that went by. His original plan might not have worked, but being with MI Sun like this was even better. Their conversation wasn’t forced, Both were simply enjoying the other’s company. It was better than he could have hoped for.

Not long after they finished making the picnic, the pair was sitting on the river bank, talking about Tao’s wushu skills while they ate their picnic. Tao waved his hands around, trying to illustrate his point through the gestures and Mi Sun laughed along. He told several different funny stories about his brothers, too, making extra sure to get laughs out of her with each story he told.

“I’m happy,” Tao smiled once he was done with his last story, laying back and looking right into Mi Sun’s eyes, “I’m glad we got to spend part of the day together.”

“I’m happy, too,” she replied, smiling down at him. That just made Tao’s smile grow and the demon resolved that he was going to try even harder to get time alone with the girl. He’d help out with her chores more often, he’d help Daehyun and the others with their homework, and he’d do anything else he could think of to help get more free time for Mi Sun. Time that she could spend with him.

A/N: I…….actually don’t have much to say about this chapter, just that I feel bad it’s more focused on Tao’s thoughts then Tao’s one-on-one time. The next time he gets one-on-one time, I’ll make sure to make it super fluffy for you guys. Ummmmmm, please subscribe? And thank you to all my subscribers and non-subscribed readers. Please comment if you have the time!