Chapter 23

My Twelve Guardians

Kris wasn’t sure about what he was doing. At no point in time did taking Mi Sun out seem like a good idea, so why had he done it? VIXX was probably hunting her right now, waiting for a chance to kill her, and he had her out in the open. Why on Earth was he doing this?

Simple; she used aegyo on him.

Kris already had a hard enough time resisting the aegyo of his brothers – some of them anyway. When Mi Sun pulled out her aegyo, no one stood a chance. But then again he wasn’t that good at denying her anything in the first place. All she had to do was say “I want” or “I wish I had” and all twelve demons would fall over themselves getting it for her. Apparently, she’d noticed this behaviour because she’d known exactly what to say and do to get what she wanted from Kris.

Now the pair was strolling through the mall, looking for Christmas presents for everyone. Kris didn’t get why she was doing this shopping now. It was November for crying out loud. Who did their Christmas shopping in November?

“People who want to beat the crowds,” Mi Sun replied and Kris jumped slightly in surprise. He hadn’t even realized he’d said that out loud, nor had he meant to.

“You could have given me a list,” he argued, “I could have done this for you. It isn’t safe for you to be out.”

“But you’re here with me,” she shrugged, “And we’re in a crowded mall. I highly doubt the enemy is stupid enough to attack when regular people can see.”

“I’ve learned to overestimate them,” Kris muttered, but otherwise he kept his mouth shut. Danger or no danger, he was still out with Mi Sun. Alone. Meaning none of his brothers were around to mess up his time with her. It had been ages since he’d gotten time alone with her, so Kris decided that he was going to make the most of an opportunity.

“What do you think?” Mi Sun asked, pointing to the display in a nearby store window. Kris followed her gaze, finding light blue dress on display.

“It’s cute,” he replied, glancing over at her, “do you want to buy it?”

“No, I just thought it was cute,” she denied, “the clothes in that store are way too overpriced any way.” Kris nodded, but he took note of how her eyes lingered slightly as they walked by. To him, it was clear that Mi Sun would like to buy it, but there was no way she could justify spending so much on one item of clothing. If she wasn’t going to get it for herself, then maybe he would get it for her.

“Let’s find something for Zelo first,” he suggested, “he already made his Christmas wish list, right?” she nodded and the pair made their way to the video game store.

Kris watched as Mi Sun browsed the store, looking for some games the youngest had asked for and some that would interest the other boys. She paid him little mind, but that was fine. If she talked to him or not didn’t matter so long as he got to be by her side.

“Zelo’s going to be happy I found this,” she smiled, holding up a game that Zelo had been asking for since he heard it was coming out months ago.

“Too bad we can’t give it to him now,” Kris joked, “he hasn’t shut up about it all week.” Mi Sun nodded before making her way over to the checkout to purchase the seven or eight games she had found for Zelo, Youngjae, Daehyun, and Jongup.

“What’s next?” Kris asked, taking her shopping bag before she could grab it herself.

“I was thinking that D.O would like some new cooking supplies,” Mi Sun shrugged, silently asking for Kris’ opinion of her suggestion. When he nodded in agreement, the pair headed off in search of a store selling what they wanted.

As the morning gave way to the afternoon, Kris started to struggle under the weight of all the shopping bags he insisted on holding. Mi Sun had pointed out several times that she could hold onto some of them herself, but he had refused. Truthfully, she found it a little funny to watch the powerful dragon demon having such a hard time.

“Why don’t we sit down and get something to eat?” she finally suggested, grabbing Kris’ arm and pulling him over to the food court. However, this brought a new challenge for Mi Sun: getting Kris to let her pay.

Since she’d already paid for everything thus far, he thought paying for lunch was the gentlemanly thing to do. While Mi Sun would admit it was a kind gesture, she didn’t find it necessary. She had money, she could pay. And Kris had already been nice enough to carry her bags so the least she could do was treat him to lunch. Right?

Unfortunately for MI Sun, Kris was better at arguing his point then she was. As the pair sat eating their food, she noted that Kris looked extremely pleased with himself. Laughing to herself, she decided to let it go. In a way, it was actually kind of cute how Kris made paying for her food seem like it was so important. Maybe it was important and she just didn’t get it.

“So who else do you have to shop for?” he asked after they finished eating.

“Just you, actually,” she replied, looking over the shopping list she’d made, “I think this is the fastest I’ve ever gotten my Christmas shopping done. Normally I have to come back a few times to get something I missed or was too heavy to carry with everything else.” Looking up, she smiled brightly at Kris, “I think I should thank you for that.”

“I don’t think I did anything,” he shrugged, willing himself not to blush as a result of her praise.

“Yeah you did,” MI Sun replied, “you helped give suggestions, remind me of things the others had asked for, and carried everything. I owe you a big thanks, Kris.” This time he couldn’t stop the blush that coloured his cheeks, so he averted his gaze as he muttered a “your welcome.”

“Let’s go home,” he suggested once his blush died down, “we should get everything home and hidden away before everyone else gets there.” Mi Sun nodded and the pair gathered their things.

As the pair walked home, they talked about their past experiences with Christmas. Some stories were sad, others were funny, but they shared them all. Not to say that Kris didn’t enjoy the rest of his day with Mi Sun, but talking to her like he was as they walked home had to be his favorite part of the whole day. Their conversation was easy and relaxed, the pauses failing to be awkward.

If he had the chance, he would love to do it again sometime in the future.

Unknown to either, someone was watching.

N silently watched Kris and Mi Sun walk and talk, a slight frown on his face. He’d been watching them all day and he was starting to get a little bored. But he had to watch them – just watch them – because that was what his master had told him to do.

Your power makes you the best suited for this job, N,” they had told him, “We want you to keep an eye on the girl. Don’t do anything else, just watch her and her demons.”

With a sigh, N activated his power and started following after the pair.

A/N: I wonder what N’s power is? Well, I’m the writer so I kind of already know, but I bet you guys are wondering. Awww, Kris is such a gentleman~! Holding Mi Sun’s bags, paying for her lunch. I’m so jelly of her!!! Thanks to my subscribers <3 and my commenters <3. Please leave a comment below if you have time!