You & Me

My Teacher Taught Me How To Love

Ever since that night, things between me and Donghae are better. I feel more comfortable with him that I can confidently call him by his name. But I never forget to call him Lee sunsaengnim when we're in the school grounds. We've been going jogging every Saturday, and would some times meet with each other after the Mass during Sundays. We even hang out to different places afterwards.

 

"Jieun, I've been noticing that you've been smiling a lot these days." Minyoung nudged me. "Really? I never seem to notice." I said with my eyes following Donghae. He nods and waves at everyone. He looked at us and smiled at us. I smiled with my heart while Minyoung squealed like a fangirl. I laughed at her because of her cute ways.

 

"Uh, excuse me." We both stopped and saw Donghae. "Lee sunsaengnim, annyeong haseyo." We both bowed. "Hello Minyoung, Jieun." He nodded. "What brings you here, Lee sunsaengnim?" Minyoung batted her eyelashes. He rubbed his nape and shyly spoke. "Uhm, Jieun. There's this essay writing contest. I just wanted to ask if you're interested." He told me. "Or we can just talk about it after classes. I'll give you details, is that okay?" He asked and I nodded. "Good. I'll just see you later then." He said and waved goodbye. 

 

When he was gone, Minyoung shook me. "OMO! You're meeting Lee sunsaengnim after classes!" She squealed. "It's just because of the contest. Nothing big." I said. I looked up at the building, and I saw him smiling down at us.

 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

 

"Yah!" I turned and saw Jiyeon push me. "What is wrong with you?!" I asked her. "I heard you were going to have some time with Lee sunsaengnim. Is it true?" She asked me and pushed me again. "What if it's true?!" I pushed her back. "Why you!" She pushed me again. I lost control and held her collar. I was about to punch her when someone stopped us. 

 

"STOP." I know that voice very clearly. Jiyeon turned her head and gasped. I let Jiyeon go and was just looking at the direction opposite of him. "L-lee S-suns-saengnim..." Jiyeon's voice shook. It seems like she was afraid. "Lee sunsaengnim!" Jiyeon ran to Donghae's side, making it look like I was the one who started this. "She started it!" Jiyeon pointed to me. I turned my head and glared at her. "You really want a piece of me!" I began charging to her again, but Minyoung held me and Donghae blocked my way. "I don't want to do this, but I'm gonna have to give you detention, both of you." I didn't complain, but Jiyeon did. I rolled my eyes. Such a princess. 

 

I hurriedly went in the detention room, sitting at the far left corner of the room, beside the window. Donghae sighed as he sits at the teacher's table. While Jiyeon took the seat nearest him. I looked at the sky, and raindrops began to fall. I widened at my eyes. I looked at the front, and saw Donghae eyeing me. I looked away, and I felt my cheeks turn red again.

 

"Jieun, why don't you stay here in the front?" He asked me. "Lee sunsaengnim, I want to sit here. If I sit near Jieyon, aren't you worried that something might happen between us?" I asked. "Why you--" "Enough. Both of you calm down if you don't want to be here any longer." Donghae's voice was loud. I know he was angry and was just controlling himself.

 

I sighed as I closed my eyes. When I opened my eyes, I saw Jiyeon winking at Donghae, but I can tell he was uncomfortable. He was trying to look away because it hurts me. I'm starting to see Donghae as someone I shouldn't. He's my teacher, but I just don't want to be his student. I closed my eyes again, but this time, when I did, a tear fell from my face. I bit my lip and took my handkerchief out. I wiped my tear away and opened my eyes. Our eyes met, and I could see the worry in his eyes. Why would he be worried about me anyway?

 

"I actually asked several witnesses today. Jiyeon, they said you started this." He looked at Jiyeon. "Well, I couldn't help it. I overheard you wanting to talk with Jieun. Why is that?! Why not me?!" She complained, trying to look like she was the victim. Donghae just chuckled and took a paper with him. He walked towards my seat and handed me a flyer.

 

"It's an essay writing contest. I actually recommended you. Please give it a try. The topic can be anything. Just do it. I believe in you." He told me and held my hand. I looked at the paper and read the contents. I read the contest rules and saw that a winner gets money and a scholarship grant to any chosen university if the essay is exceptionally beautiful.

 

I smiled and looked at him. "Thank you so much Lee sunsaengnim." I told him and squeezed his hand tighter. When we thought things were still good, Jiyeon cleared . "So Jiyeon, can you join this contest? This is an essay writing contest. A student that has a minimum grade of 90 in English are eligible to join." He told her. "I can join. What's my grade compared to hers anyway?!" She bragged that she's great at English. Donghae looked at his files and shook his head. He showed her her grades, and her jaw dropped.

 

"Are you serious?!" She said and looked at Donghae. "I got a 75!? And she got a 92!?" She pointed at me. He nodded and she sighed in defeat.

 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

 

It has been almost two hours since someone last spoke. This time, Jiyeon broke the silence again.

 

"Lee sunsaengnim, why are you still single?" Jiyeon twirled her hair as she scooted her chair closer to Donghae. I can hear her voice. The room isn't too big anyway. "Well, because I'm still waiting for someone." His words caught my attention. He was smiling at Jiyeon, not looking at me this time. I guess I should stop thinking about him since he has someone in his heart now.

 

"Is she even that beautiful?!" Jiyeon shrieked. "She's very beautiful. She wasn't the type to express her feelings though. She's smart and she excels in her academics. She loves to read books and she cooks very well. She was unlike any girl that I've met. Too bad we don't feel the same way." He said. He was looking at the ground, and I knew at that moment that he was serious about that girl. She's very lucky. I looked at the ceiling, wishing that a tear won't fall. 

 

"Lee sunsaengnim. Can I go now?" I asked as I bit my lower lip. "Well, the time is up now. You both can go now." He said. I immediately picked up my bag and ran outside the room. But before I can leave, he pulled my arm. "Can we talk?" He asked me. I didn't reply. "Let's meet at the park, not as a student and teacher, but as Jieun and Donghae."

 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_

 

I sat down, keeping my distance away from him. "Jieun-ah..." I have been trying to hold my tears for a while now. I'm just staring at the ground because I'm afraid I might cry if I look at him. "Is there something important that we have to talk about? I mean, why do we have to be like this?" I asked. I heard him sigh and he held my hands. "Jieun, look at me." Even if it hurts to look at him, I looked at him.

 

He then wiped away a tear. "I'm sorry." I turned my head and wiped my tears away. Why am I even crying? I shouldn't be crying. This is stupid. "We need to talk about us." He said. "There's no us. There's just you and me." I told him. "Err... Yes... You and me..." His voice seems like he was kinda sad. But there was nothing I can do. 

 

"Why are you crying?" He asked me with a little worry. "Why do you care?!" I snapped back. He was probably taken aback at my reaction, that I even surprised myself. "I just... I just wanted to know if you're okay." His voice cracked. "What about you? Why is your voice cracking? Why are you so concerned about me? I'm just a student! I'm not special! I'm not beautiful! I'm not smart! I can't cook well! And I can't express my feelings very well!" I yelled.

 

"That's a lie!" He yelled and I looked at him. "Yes you are special! My voice is cracking because of you!I'm like this because of you!" He confessed and rubbed his forehead. "You are special. You are beautiful. You are smart and you cooks very well. You love to read books and I like that I about you." He looked at me and held my hand.

 

"Even if you can't express your feelings, can you let me feel what you feel for me? I'm confused of myself like you. Please... Let me in your heart. I don't know if I can still continue to hide myself."