Graduation

My Teacher Taught Me How To Love

"Park Jieun, valedictorian, do you think it's possible?" My omma asked as she fixes my toga. Today is our graduation. Unlike other school, our honors will be announced on the event itself, not ahead of time. I wanted to be the valedictorian, why? Simply because it would mean full scholarship. I'll have to live in a dorm nearer the university, which means more cost for my omma and aunt. But if I get a scholarship, then they'll just pay for my dorm. "Is Donghae going to be there?" Omma asked. "Of course. He'll be with the other teachers." I answered. "Oh good. I want to take a picture of all the teachers you have." She said and I just nodded. "Let's just go, omma," I said and we took a cab to school.

 

Everyone was excited. High school is ending, and we will welcome a new chapter of our lives, college. As the march and program began, I keep glancing at Donghae once in a while, smiling at him and to the teachers. I just pray I get the valedictorian position. Soon, it was already time to award the honor students.

 

_*_*_*_*_*_

 

"For salutatorian, we have Lee Kimyoon!" Teacher Park announced. We appluaded and my heart was racing more than ever. How badly do I want to be the valedictorian? So much beacuse it will mean so much to me and my family. We can save up a lot in college. "For valedictorian," teacher Park heightened up the suspense. Minyoung was holding her hands, praying while looking at me. I can feel the eyes of a lot of teachers. They know how much I've worked hard for what I want. 

 

"Park Jieun!" Did I hear my name correctly? The students cheered while my mouth was still open. Minyoung pushed me and I unsteadily walk towards the stage. Donghae was smiling and clapping his hands. My mom was crying at the other side of the stage while I receive my award. "She manages to win contests for our school, and also recognition for her outstanding essay about the vague topic of teenage love. She is accepted into Saenghwal University, one of the top universities in Seoul. Jieun, we are all proud of you," teacher Park said and I cried. My mom wiped my tears away as we posed in front of the camera.

 

 "Omma, I made it. I'm going to get a scholarship in college!" I said and hugged her. We went down the stage with the students still cheering for me. I looked at the teachers and they were proud too. "I know you can do it," Donghae said, making my heart flutter as always. "Oh Jieun, you must give your on the spot valedictorian speech," teacher park announced, making the people laugh. I went to the podium and took the microphone.

 

"First of all, I am thankful to God for creating me," I began. "I am so thankful that God has given me the brains and ability to achieve what I have right now. I would like to thank the people who had helped me become who I am today, my teachers, my friends and my omma. I lost my father at the age of 7. I grew up with my aunt, or omma, until I entered high school and began to live on my own. It wasn't as easy and fun as others would think. I don't spend my time partying or drinking. I would rather do something productive like read a book, cook, clean the house or write on my blog. My life wasn't as beautiful and colorful too. It wasn't a piece of art I'd like the others to see. It wasn't filled with bright and neon colors. It was mostly black, white and gray. But that was before. With this new year, my life slowly become a painting filled with colors."

 

"If it was a book, my chapters are increasing. It's not the same old and boring sentences that I used to live.They began to change as the story progress. Someone came along and changed the plot of the story. Life is full of suprises. People come and go. Some stay forever, some only for a short time, and some will just brush you off their lives as if you were never really that important. For me, the important people in my life are those whom have stayed and believed that I can do this. My reason of wanting this is not because of the fame and glory. As most of you do not know, I don't come from a well-off family. I only rely on my mom and my aunt. I wanted to help them. If I get to be the valedictorian, then it would mean i get a scholarship. This honor isn't for me, but for my mom who had worked for such a long time alone in order for us to survive. Omma, this is for you," I said and went down the stage.

 

Everyone clapped and I just hugged my omma. After the graduation rites, people were congratulating me and I thanked all of them. “Jieun!” I saw Minyoung ran towards me. She hugged me and I hugged her back. “I know you can do it!” She cheered and I just scratched my nape. “Congratulations,” Leeteuk and Kyuhyun said. Kyuhyun handed me a small bouquet of flowers to which I accept. “Picture?” Omma asked and I nodded. The four of us took pictures and talked for a while. "So, you'll be entering Saenghwal University, right?" Kyuhyun asked. "Yup. I'll be taking up English Language and Literatue," I smiled. "Well then, see you along the halls of Saeng U," he smiled. "You mean?" He nodded and I clapped my hand. "Really?! You're also gonna enter Saenghwal University?! What course?!" I asked him. "I'll be taking up post-modern music," he smiled. "That's just great!" I said and hugged him. When I hugged him, girls grunted, and from the corner, I saw Donghae pouting. I pulled away from Kyuhyun and laughed. "I'm guessing he's shooting daggers at me right now," he rolled his eyes. "Go to your boyfriend now," he whispered and pushed me.

 

I was about to go to him when Minyoung blocked my way. "Well?" He folded her arms at her chest. I tilted my head to the side and she just sighed. She grabbed my arm and dragged me to Donghae. "Sorry Lee sunsaengnim, but since now that I have graduated, please forgive me as a person," Minyoung said and dragged the two of us in one of the rooms in school. "Uhm, Minyoung?" I asked and she looked at us. "Look, now that we've graduated, I don't think there's any reason for the two of you to hide whatever relationship you have." She said and our eyes widened in surprise. "Yes, I know everything between you and Lee sunsaengnim. I know your make out sessions in the library too," she said, causing our jaws to drop. 

 

“I guess there’s nothing to hide now,” Donghae said and placed his arm around my shoulder and pulled near to him. “I’m sorry, Minyoung. I just couldn’t tell you,” I lowered my head. “Why?” She asked and held my hands. “I was just afraid that someone could have heard us. Also, if ever we were in trouble, I don’t want you to be involved,” I explained and sighed. “I understand. I mean, if I were in your situation, I would’ve hid it from everyone else. But seriously, you’re so lucky! How in the world did you end up with the hot Lee sunsaeng?!” She yelled.  “Yah! He’s mine!” I hit her arm and we both laughed. “Hello! Ignored hot teacher here!” Donghae teased. “Whatever oppa,” I giggled and hugged him. “You make a good couple. Too bad I won’t be able to stay any longer to see your sweet moments,” she sighed. “Wait, what?!” My smile dropped and I held her arms. “Jieun, omma just told me that we’ll be going go the US. I won’t be here in college. I’ll be attending college there,” she said. “M-minyoung!” I hugged her and cried unto her. “I was shocked too. I’m gonna leave you here,” she sniffed and pulled away a little. “Wait, what about Leeteuk?” I asked. “He’s gonna be with me. He’ll just arrange some papers, and he’ll be with me while I’ll be in the US,” I smiled. “I’m happy for you and him. The two of you are meant for each other. Good luck,” I hugged her again. “Thanks. I know you will take care of him,” she said and pulled away from our hug. She went to Donghae and shook his hand. “Take care of her. I leave her in good hands. Still be with her even if she’s in college,” she said and looked at us. “Good luck, have fun and love each other,” she said and waved goodbye.

 

“I can’t believe that she’s leaving,” I sighed and placed my head on his chest. “People come and go. Just think that this is for her future, and besides, she’ll be with her boyfriend.” He said and wrapped his arms around me. “Oppa?” I turned and looked at him. “You won’t leave me, right?” I asked and he chuckled. “Of course I won’t. Leaving you is the last thing you should be thinking of,” he said and leaned for a kiss. He pulled away and smiled. I turned my body and wrapped my arms on his neck. I tiptoed and kissed him this time.

 

We’re free. Free like the birds in the sky. We can be with each other now without being scared. Our love will bloom like a rose on beautiful spring morning. This is the end of this story, but the beginning of something new. 

 


 

So this is the last chapter, but there's still a short epilogue that I might post a little later. :>