After School

My Teacher Taught Me How To Love

I looked at the window and the sun was shining brightly. I could smile for reasons I could not explain. Words lack to define what I really feel. But I was sure it's caused by a certain someone. 

 

"Good morning class~" Lee sunsaengnim greeted. I always wonder that no matter how much I ignore the others, I can't ignore him. He was nice and young, unlike our other teachers who are mostly of old age. English is always our last subject, and I think it's a good way to end the day.

 

"Alright, we will begin by taking up one of the most famous playwrighter of all times, William Shakespeare." He began. He passed around the notes he said would be a great help for us since he knows that most of us doesn't take notes. "Some of his famous works include sonnets, plays and dramas. Examples of his most famous compositions are Hamlet, Macbeth and of course, the most famous one is Romeo and Juliet." The moment he mentioned the last piece of literature, our eyes met. His eyes were smiling at me and I felt like no one was around me. 

 

" Now, for a short information about the personal life of William Shakespeare..." 

 

_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_

 

The rest of the class continued to copy what was on the board. Some of the trouble makers in our class didn't even pay attention. When the bell rang, Lee sunsaengnim bid goodbye. Most of the students left already, but I took time in fixing my things. I saw that Lee sunsaengnim was still in our classroom. He was talking with some of my classmates. I walked out of the room, but I could tell he was looking at me when I walked out.

 

I went to the library as always. I closed my eyes and rested my head on the table. I want to sleep, and think alone. Just then, I heard someone took the seat beside me. I looked up and was surprised to see him.

 

"Lee sunsaengnim. What are you doing here?" I asked him. "I was supposed to give you some things. But you left already. I guessed you were here, and I was right." He said and smiled. "Oh yeah. Before I forget, here's the Romeo & Juliet. And also, you forgot this." He handed me the book and my notebook. "My notebook! I knew I left it here. Komawo Lee sunsaengnim." I bowed at him and he bowed back.

 

"If you don't mind, I'd like to do some work here. I don't like being lonely and all." He shyfully said, rubbing the back of his nape. "Sure. Having someone as a company is better than being alone. And I'll begin reading Romeo and Juliet already." I said and began reading.

 

I began to read the first chapter of Romeo and Juliet while Lee sunsaengnim begins to take out papers that he will probably check. While reading, I would casually glance at him. There were times when I'd look at him and see him to already looking at me. I tried to read a few pages before looking at him again. And when I did, I saw him smilling at me with his arms crossed. I immediately covered my face with a book. When I tried to peek, his face was already near mine. The only thing separating us was the book. Good thing he can only see my eyes, because I felt my cheeks turn pink.

 

He backed away and laughed at me. "You look cute." He said. I removed my book and touched my chest. Why is my heart beating so fast? I've never felt this experience before. I looked at the clock and saw that it was almost 6 in the evening. I stood up and bowed at him. "I have to leave now Lee sunsaengnim." I said and fixed my things. 

 

"Jieun-ah!" I heard him call for me, but I ran immediately. His words kept repeating in my head. "You look cute." And every time his voice echo in my head, my heart would beat rapidly. Why am I feeling this? I shouldn't have this kind of feeling. He's my teacher, and I'm his student. We should only be like that.