Out Of Place

The Library

I was back in the U.S again, it was such an odd feeling. My lawyer and I had to meet up in a secret place for we both knew we could be followed or spied on at any moment.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” he asked me with the most serious expression I have ever seen a human pull off in my life time. The question caught me off guard.

“I-I” I hesitated.

Mr. Winters was my father, it was like asking if I wanted to kill my father. Of course the answer to that would be NO, however my father was also a criminal that deserved a punishment.

“You’re hesitating, why?” Lawyer Jang asked me.

I sighed deeply. I was glad that Lawyer Jang was my friend. He was 25 years old, but already one of the best lawyers in the country. He was one of the few rich friends I had that was an actual genuine person.

“Well David, he’s my father…I mean…” I replied back.

He nodded understandingly.

“I know Mina” he replied in a less tense tone. There was a silence.

“You know, you have changed so much” he mumbled.

I looked up and looked him straight in the eye.

“Even your gaze is different. I knew right away when your father began to say that you had left to study abroad that he was lying. Many believed him…but I didn’t” he said and laughed a little as he took a sip from his coffee.

“You don’t believe me capable of being intelligent and studying at a prestigious university?” I scoffed.

“It’s not that” he said and laughed a little harder.

“Then?” I asked. He settled his laughter down and then looked me straight in the eye again.

“I know you are capable of so much more than that, and that if you were to leave New York, it would be for a better reason than earning a little degree” he replied and gathered his papers. He stood up and gave me his hand.

“The announcement will be made tomorrow at 6am on the dot, it was nice seeing you again Ms. Winters”

“Likewise Lawyer Jang” I replied and shook his hand.

“Remember that your father never made your restraining order official, so you are more than welcome to go give your family a little visit…or a little scare” he said to me with a smirk. I nodded and smirked back.

For a moment I felt confidence running through my blood, however as soon as he walked out the door and I realized I was alone, fear struck me.

***

It was freezing cold in New York City. As I walked through the streets that were once familiar to me, I realized I certainly did not fit in anymore.

Everyone had this blank stare as they walked through the streets, they did not stop to look at anyone or anything. They just busily walked through the street as if they had a time limit and if they didn’t make it before the time was over they would lose their lives.

I, for once, really truly looked at everyone that passed by. Took my time to really appreciate the fact that every person I was looking at was alive, and even though I would probably never see them again in my life, I felt thankful that they had existed in the same life time as me and that they had crossed paths with my life even for a mere second.

I wasn’t sure what it was that had changed me but the change was apparent.

I took my phone out and checked the time.

30 minutes before 6am.

My heart began to race as I realized that I had very little time to make my appearance.

In the matter of minutes, I was standing right before the building where I once lived.

It was such a huge and luxurious building.

I looked at myself through the reflection of the doors and realized that I looked out of place and my entrance would be hard.

“Confidence” I chanted out loud as I entered through the glass doors.

“I’m sorry miss, but I think you are at the wrong place” a man stopped me.

I shot him a surprised and insulted look.

I did not recognize the man and he did not recognize me.

“I’m sorry sir, but I am not” I said and moved out of his grip. I began strutting my way towards the elevator doors.

He stopped me once more.

“You need a special pass to be able to enter this building, it doesn’t seem like you have one.  Are you a maid? Or here to deliver something?” he continued asking as he held onto my arm more tightly.

I had to admit, the maid part hurt my pride.

“I am a maid, now if you will excuse me” I replied back and pulled my arm free.

I heard him whisper something into his high tech wrist band watch, phone or whatever that was.

Before I reached the elevator doors, I was stopped once more.

This time by buff security guards.

“Miss, please leave now or we will have to personally kick you out ourselves” the security guard threatened.

I rolled my eyes and sighed heavily.

“Okay” I replied.

The man who was originally trying to kick me out looked satisfied.

As I turned my head to the left I spotted someone familiar.

Charles, the main receptionist.

He looked my way and continued walking, but I guess it all clicked in his head and he turned around again and began walking my way.

“Child is that you?” he asked in utter shock.

“Well Charles, it looks like you have lost a lot of weight! You look fabulous!” I responded back in my best rich girl Mina voice.

“But my dear child, you look like you spent a year in a concentration camp! You look so pale and tired!”

I giggled and smiled as I looked at all the men that had been trying to kick me out minutes before.

“Oh Charles, it’s called living. It was a pleasure seeing you again! I was trying to say hello to my family but was denied entrance…” I said and then turned to face the security guards and the doorman.

“Please do tell my father that Kyungsoo and I say hello, and tell my brother Justin to call me as soon as he can” I said to doorman and patted him in the back.

“I’ll see you later Charles” I whispered into his ear and walked out of the building.

 There were only two minutes left until 6am and I had to get out of there fast if I wanted to make it out alive.

*****************************

Author's Note:

OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS! I am so, SO, SOOO very sorry for forgetting about this story!

A lot has happened lately, I quit my job, more finals.

I thought everyone had forgotten about this sad little story but that turned out to be my own false idea!

Shout out to the two people who haven't given up on me!

Neighbourhood96 and -Moshiexo-

Love you guys so much!

I will be updating more regularly now, the end of this story is close! So please stick around you guys!