The Library Card

The Library

"Yeah, yeah whatever" Mina said over the phone as she looked around the huge home that was now hers. The place was empty, desolate, yet beautiful.

"Okay, alright, uh huh, no, why would I do that?" she complained to her mother who was on the other line. Her mother had just suggested she walked outside and looked around her new neighborhood. It was drizziling outside though and she was not in the mood.

"Kay, kay, bye" she said and hung up. She was irritated, it wasn't her choice to be in this new city.

"What do I do now?" she whispered under her breath and began trying to push boxes up the stairs. The task was practically impossible.

"This is why I should have worked on my muscles at the gym!" she exclaimed regreting all those wasted days at the gym, where she would spend her time gossiping with the other older ladies. She continued trying to carry the box upstairs in different ways but just as she had almost reached the last step, her grip loosened and the box went tumbling all the way down.

She let out a high pitch scream.

"Great, just GREAT!" she yelled and walked down the stairs, kicked the box just a little more. Grabbed her coat and the umbrella and headed outside. She took a deep breath. It smelled like wet pavement outside.

"I thought it didn't rain in California" she whispered to herself and started walking out of her home. She walked and walked. The rain fell until it began to pour. She began to miss her home.  She continued walking and began to cross at an intersection when all of a sudden a car passed by and completly covered her in water. She burst out into tears at that moment and continued walking, she wasn't going to let that ruin her day. She passed a few cafe's but she wasn't in the mood to go in. She then spotted a peculiar sign.

"Public Library?...I haven't been to one in awhile..." she said under her breath and ran to the corner of the street. She entered the building and right away felt the warmth embrace her. The library had that same familiar smell of old books. She missed it, ever since her family had gained wealth, she had lost these simple things in her life. Like reading books at a library, or buying groceries on her own.

"Oh it's so warm in here" she whispered. Her words caught the attention of the lonely worker. He just observed her from a far as she walked in and started looking for a book. She was soaked in water. She dissapeared into the rows of books. She then reappeared and clumsily grabbed a book causing the other one's to fall. She looked around making sure no one was watching and picked them up quickly and put them back. He just smiled. She didn't notice he was watching all of this happen. She then walked to the counter and placed the book on the table for the worker to check out.

"Your library card?" he asked clearing his throat. She looked at him confused.

"Library what?" she asked clueless. She right away remembered what a library card was. She hadn't seen one in ages.

"Oh yes! I-I don't have one" she said and smiled. That clumsy girl smile. He couldn't help but smile back. Making her blush.

"Well how about we make you one miss, or else you won't be able to check out this book" he said and pulled out a form.

"That sounds great, can I?"

"Sure, just fill out this form please" he said and handed her a pen. Little did they both know the importance of this library card.