Chapter 24

Love, Symmetry & Rhythm

Chapter 24

I reach the outside of the recording studio in just a few minutes. While catching my breath, I can’t help but worry that Youngbae might have already left. That was until I heard music playing from inside. The melody was not one I recognized so it wasn’t one of G-Dragon’s old songs… Maybe it’s part of his new album?
 

Curiosity takes over as I slowly push open the door to see who was inside. There I see a familiar looking back sitting in front of the console. The music was playing so loud in the entire room that I could slip inside without being noticed.

 

Why is Youngbae just listening to Jiyong’s new songs?

Then he began to sing.

 

♪ I just want to know if you feel the same

Where u at, where u at, where u at

Tell me now 

 

His voice was amazing. It was smooth and gentle. Sohee was wrong. He was really good. It would be impossible to compare to Jiyong because of how different their voice and singing style was.

 

♪ And let my love for you begin

Where u at, girl 

 

I hear the words echo in my head, the way his voice pronounces and sings each word. If I didn’t know any better, I would’ve sworn this song was made for him.

 

The sudden stop of the music brings me out of the trance he put me in. He is silent and looks at his watch and sighs.

“I didn’t know you could sing like that.” I blurt out.

He slightly jumps, clearly unaware that I was in the room. He swivels the chair around to face me, he was slightly blushing but definitely surprised that I was here.

“O-oh. You were here this whole time?” He asked shyly.

I nod. “Why don’t you sing more often? You are really good.” I get back on topic.

He plays with the rings on his fingers, swinging his chair from side to side. “I just do it once in a while. Usually when I’m alone and have nothing better to do.” He glances up at me as if trying to tell me something, “I usually let music do the talking for me when I can’t say the words myself.”

I wonder what he’s trying to say but just shrug it off still in awe by his voice. “Well, you should definitely do it more often! I’m so impressed that you are actually talented.” I tease.

We begin to talk/joke just like before as if nothing has changed. It was nice. It was normal. Until he brought up the question I was dreading.

 

“So… what’s been up with you?” He finally asks. I could feel my throat tighten. “Ever since that night Jiyong took you home, you’ve been acting weird.” He raised his eyebrow, “Did… something happen that night?”

I shake my head, clearly flustered at his question. “Nothing happened! Absolutely nothing. Nothing!” I say a little too enthusiastically.

“You know… you can tell me if something happened… I won’t say or do anything.”

“R-really! Nothing happened!” I blush at the thought of me making my realization that night.

He just stares at me, just like he did when I was auditioning. Looking in my eyes to see if he could find the answer to his question. Eventually, he stopped looking and just looked away, defeated.

“Alright then.” He says simply and turns back around to face the equipment in front of him.

I can’t help but feel like he’s mad… or upset… but I have no idea why.

 

“Actually,” I start suddenly, not really sure on what I was planning on saying, “I’ve been really nervous… about being trained to sing.” Youngbae turns to me with a raised eyebrow.

I continue, “One of the things I’ve realized that night was that I have no experience with singing. I’ve never tried it. It made me worry about what if I don’t have that talent… what if I disappoint YG sajangnim?”

Youngbae is blank for a second then gives me a small smile. “Come here.” He motions me to come over to where he was.

As I grabbed a chair and sat next to him, he handed me a piece of paper with lyrics of the song he just sung, ‘Where U At’. He began to play the song and showed me where the lyrics matched up the melody, telling me the pitch, the rhythm, the flow. Just as I was wondering why he was telling me all of this, he answers my thoughts.

 

“I’ll sing you the chorus once, to get the feel. Then the second time, you’ll join in with me.”

“What?!” I gasp. I want to run away.

“Your singing training begins.” He smiles and he begins.

 

~*Jiyong’s POV*~

I whistle as I walk down the hall, a huge smile plastered on my face. It’s been hard to wipe this smile off the past few days. I think back to the recent and increasing interactions between Dara and I. How she’d randomly come to talk to me, drag me away from the others just to ask about the choreography, how I was doing, what I ate for lunch. Sure, they were random and odd questions but it was better than nothing!

Looks like she’s finally warming up to me.

I chuckle and mentally pat myself on the back for my progress. As I get closer and closer to the recording studio, I hear that music is playing. I assumed it was just Teddy getting a head start on my new song, until I begin to realize it wasn’t my song. It was a song I’ve never heard before.

 

Is Teddy working on something new?

 

I slow down my pace as I reach the door and lean my head closer. That’s when I hear Youngbae singing. I’ve heard his singing voice plenty of times before but since the last time I’ve heard it, he’s definitely improved. It’s a lot more powerful and controlled… or maybe it’s just because he’s singing to a song that clearly fits his singing voice. Knowing that it was just Youngbae, I was about to go in until another voice hits my ears. A voice I don’t recognize. A voice so sweet and so soft, I felt my heart melt at just the sound.

I listened as she first sings at the same pitch and rhythm as Youngbae. Her voice was weak and wavered a bit but she was still able to sing the song well enough. Eventually, I couldn’t hear Youngbae’s voice anymore and it became her voice alone. She had such a soothing and addicting voice. I was completely lost in it. Finally, the song came to an end and brought me back to real life.

 

“See,” He claps for her, “You have nothing to worry about. I knew you could do it, Dara.”

Dara?!

“That was so difficult! How could you expect me to sing a song well after listening to it once!”

ONCE?!

“What are you talking about? You sang it really well, way better than I could’ve imagined.” He paused, “But you were a bit pitchy.” He laughs as she begins to argue back.

 

I pull back from the door and lean against the opposite wall. I was shocked. Just listening to a song once, she was still able to sing almost as well as Youngbae. She had such a clear and fresh voice. It wasn’t a voice that you could find anywhere. Once again, she has another thing about her that makes her unique.

So she can dance, she can act, and now she can sing. How can one girl be so talented?

Park Sandara really never fails to surprise me.

 

What will it be next?

 

*BlueNote*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Final update of the night! Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!
AGAIN a reminder that this is a Daragon fic! Don't lose doubt in the Appler couple even in this story!
Hehe :)

So tell me guys, what will it be next?
Let me know your thoughts/comments/concerns! I'm dying to read what you are all thinking!
And I hope you are all still enjoying it!

Until next time <3
Love you all.

*If you are confused about layout/weird details that seem wrong+right at the same time, please read the story description!*