Chapter 16

Love, Symmetry & Rhythm

Chapter 16

~*Jiyong’s POV*~

“Good work everyone!” I yell out to the rest of the backup dancers that still have to practice.

“Oppa!” Sohee runs towards me and asks while smiling, “Where are you going? You aren’t practicing with us anymore?”

I smile and shake my head, “Nope, I have to go and work with Teddy on the songs for the new album.” She pouts cutely making me laugh.

“Hey, don’t make that face. You’ve only been here for a week; you have a lot of catching up to do. Now go.” I pinch her cheeks.

“Aish, arraso…” She pouts again before running back to the others and being scolded by CL for wasting time.

I sigh and leave the room, drying my forehead with my towel. It’s only been a week since Sohee joined us and she has caught up quite quickly to most of the choreography but… she’s been so distracted, especially when I’m around. I know she must just be excited being a part of a new family and company but I can’t help but feel uneasy. But at least the others seem to like her? I try to comfort myself with the thought. Although CL gets annoyed with her when she isn’t focused, just like all of us, we find her pretty cute, like a little sister. Well… except for Youngbae.

 

My thoughts go back to the morning after auditions when Sohee was introduced as the new backup dancer. Everyone else was welcoming and immediately wanted to get to know her. Youngbae, however, was first shocked and then shot me an accusatory glance before looking for YG. Since she’s been here, he hasn’t said much to her or even bothered acknowledging her presence. Instead, every chance he’d get, he’d be on his phone texting or calling.

Speaking of Youngbae… he wasn’t at rehearsal just now… what the heck is he up to? I continue towards the recording studio until I see him at the end of the hall. Speak of the Devil.

“Yah. Youn—“ I begin to call out to him until I see him holding hands with someone. That someone is a girl. A girl that I recognize. A girl that I’ve thought about at least once every day this week. That girl is Park Sandara.

I cover my mouth and press myself against the wall. I watch as he guides her down the connecting hall and just like that, they are out of my sight.

What…what is she doing here?! And why is Youngbae with her? And why are they here… together?!

Excitement, worry, anger, confusion, curiosity. I never felt so many emotions at the same time before… but curiosity was definitely getting the better half of me. Without any second thought I rushed down the hall and followed them.


YG’s office? I stand in front of the doors that I watched them enter. Why would she be here to talk to YG? I lean my ear against the door but can’t hear anything except a muffled conversation.

I feel a vibration in my back pocket and take out my phone to see that Teddy is calling me. Sh*t… remembering that I was supposed to meet with him. I look back at the door of YG’s office and frown. What is going on in there? But I just end up sighing in defeat and retreat to the elevators. On my way down, I come up with many reasons on why she was here: she lost something during auditions, YG is checking up on her, she’s Youngbae’s girlfrie— No. That CANNOT be it. I groan as the curiosity is killing me. As the doors open and drag myself to the recording studio, I force myself to come to terms with the situation. I guess I’ll find out when I find out…

Unconsciously, a small smile appears on face.

I thought I’d never see her again.

 

~*Dara’s POV*~

“What?” I ask in complete shock, mouth hanging wide open.

“Would you like to work here?” President YG repeats himself with an amused smile on his face.

I am completely speechless and have no idea what he means or how to answer.

“It was… disheartening to have to see you go that night…” President YG says grimly. “I was already considering this option for you then, but felt it would be improper of me to bring it up in front of the other girls.” Still unsure of what he’s getting at, I let him continue.

“You see, Sandara. Anyone with eyes could see how exceptional you are, not only as a dancer, but also as an actress, a choreographer, as a performer. I am not sure how aware you are of your talents and potential, but I am.” His words echo in my head and fills my heart with unimaginable warmth that it makes me overwhelmed.

“I was sorry to see you so disappointed that night knowing full well you wouldn’t understand or know that the position you are in right now is actually more beneficial to you than getting the spot as G-Dragon’s backup dancer. That is why I asked Youngbae to bring you here.” He gestures at Youngbae who I forgot was still in the room since he was so quite.

“I am also sure you would like to know the reasons why you didn’t get the part, correct?” He raises his eyebrow.

I gulped; slightly nervous to hear what this man had to say, but knew that this is what I wanted to hear, what I needed to hear. “Yes.”

 

“As a backup dancer, you do not fit the part.” His words were harsh like ripping off a Band-Aid but he quickly continues, distracting me from the stinging. “A backup dancer does exactly what the name says, dances behind the main lead, the sole focus of the performance. They are important and essential because they make the performance aesthetically appealing and pop out. Without them, the performer may look boring, but with them, they make the performer look whole and better.” He pauses, watching me carefully.

“You, Sandara, do not fit as a backup dancer because you stand out too much. When you dance, everyone’s eyes automatically move to you. As a backup dancer, that would be bad and defeat the purpose of a back up dancer. When you dance with a partner, somehow, you are able to bring something out in them and make them better. As a backup dancer, this will bring too much attention to the both of you, once again defeating the purpose.” He pauses again and leans back in his chair.

“Let me ask you something, Sandara.” He continues without letting me answer, “Can you guess when was the moment that I noticed you weren’t standing out and stealing the show?”

Too much is running through my mind right now as I try to process every tidbit of information he just gave me. I’m confused on what were praises or criticism, positives or negatives, and ups or downs. But somehow, I manage to at least shake my head, because I really had no clue.

 

“When you were dancing with Jiyong.”

What? So, I wasn’t good enough compared to G-Dragon? That’s why I didn’t get it?

“No,” President YG answers who is also apparently a skillful mind reader. “Don’t be mistaken. You were not chosen, not because you weren’t as good as G-Dragon.” He pauses looking me straight in the eye.

“It’s because you were almost on the same level as him.”

I’m pretty sure my ears are deceiving me. The same level? The same level as THE G-Dragon?

“When you were dancing with him, it was the first time I saw you share the stage. Both of you and G-Dragon’s talents, charisma, and professionalism bounced off each other. Of course, it was clear he had more experience with showcasing the right things but that comes with time, training, and discipline. Something that I am offering to you right now.”

Ehhh?!

President YG stands up and walks over to me.

“Park Sandara, I can see you as a star, an idol. Someone that doesn’t deserve to be performing behind anyone else but instead right in the front and center. I am giving you this opportunity to truly learn and take hold of your talent and capabilities and finally see exactly how special you are.”

Blank. My mind is blank.

 

“So,” He looks at me expectantly, “what do you say?”

 

*BlueNote*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Wooo~ Good morning (afternoon) everyone! Here is the next update and I hope you enjoyed it!

Also, I think I know most of your answers already but who thinks Dara should accept YG's offer??
Your answers won't change the progression of the storyline  but I just wanted to hear what everyone has to say!

Anyways, love you all. Thank you for having me wake up to a whole lot of comments and subscribers ^-^ it was the best way to wake up

ALSO, if anyone is interested or wants to, would anyone want to make a nice little banner thingy for this fic? I've tried and failed miserably -_-
But just putting it out there for whoever is interested or is willing to put in effort for this fic!
It's not necessary! Just for fun :) Let me know! 

*If you are confused about layout/weird details that seem wrong+right at the same time, please read the story description!*