Chapter 17

Love, Symmetry & Rhythm

Chapter 17

I bow at a 90-degree angle with my hands folded in front of my legs, “Thank you YG sajangnim for this opportunity and for speaking with me.” I make sure to speak clearly so he can hear every single word and ounce of undying appreciation for him.

He laughs a little and starts filling out papers in front of him, “Don’t thank me, you should thank Youngbae over there.” I turn to look over at Youngbae who is now shaking his head, face getting redder and redder. “He wouldn’t stop questioning me and kept demanding how talented you are.”

I sheepishly grin at Youngbae who has now covered his face with his hand. “Not to be rude, but can we please get going before sajangnim embarrasses me even more.”

I giggle and turn back to YG to bow again, “Well, regardless, thank you for everything.”

YG nods and smiles, “I’ll be expecting to see a lot of promise from you, Park Sandara.”

“Yes, sir. I won’t let you down.” I bow once more before leaving the office with Youngbae, still as red as a tomato.

I nudge him and tease, “So, I guess I owe you a thank you as well then?”

He turns his tomato head away and mumbles, “Yeah… it’s the least you could do… I suppose.”

I laugh at his pout but give him a hug, “Thank you Youngyang, you are the best!”

“Aish! After all that I’ve done, you still call me by that stupid name!” He complains but doesn’t even budge to stop my hug.

Finally, I let him go before walking into the elevator. On our way down in silence, he speaks up, “So are you sure about this? That you made the right decision?”

I rewind the past few minutes in my head and think for a second before nodding, “Yes, I’m sure. For now.”

 

~*Flashback*~

“But… sir.” I finally find my words again.

“Call me YG sajangnim.”

“Ah, yes. But, YG sajangnim,” I correct myself, “I don’t know how to do anything else but dance and choreograph… I don’t know any other talents that I have.”

He smiles at my words and shake his head, “Always the most humble ones turn out to be the most talented of them all.” He pats me on my shoulder before walking over to the wall of figurines. He points at one of them and gestures me to come over, “Do you see this one? The only one that is completely white?”

I walk over and observe his collection and my eyes finally land on the one he is pointing at. It is a simple white figurine that didn’t seem to have anything special about it. I nod and look at him curiously.

He opens the case and takes the figurine out along with random pieces of colored plastic. “This toy is plain white correct? There’s nothing special about it, no color, no patterns.” He turned the toy in front of my face as I observed it and nodded again.

He shows me a bright blue piece that is strangely shaped and has me watch as he pushes the piece against the toy and it snaps perfectly in place. What was once an all white doll now had a bright blue leg. Now it looked so incomplete, so unfinished.

“This doll, right now, is you.” He says simply. “This is what you look like to me. A blank doll with so much potential and space to grow and improve.” He snaps on a red and a yellow piece on the dolls other leg and upper chest, respectively. “This red one, is your talent in choreography and this yellow one…” he points and taps on it, “is your ability to act.”

“Act? I can’t act.” He shakes his head in response, “You THINK you can’t act. There’s a difference.” Finally he snaps on two green pieces on both arms and a pink piece on the face.

“Then what are those remaining pieces?” I ask, unsure of what other talent I can possible have that I am unaware of.

YG shrugs and hands me the doll, “I don’t know yet, but I want to find out.” He points at the doll in my hand and to each individual piece, “Look, now it’s complete, now it’s something special and unique. Different from all the toys in this case.”

I scan my eyes over this small doll in my hand and indeed, it looks complete now, like a different toy.

“As you can see, that toy wouldn’t have been able to make that transformation without me. That’s what I want to do. I want to help you find the missing pieces and snap it into place.”

I look up at him finally understanding what he’s offering me and how much confidence he had in me. It scared me.

I returned the colorful toy to him and bowed my head to thank him for the demonstration.

“It is very clear to me now what it is that you see in me. I am so honored to hear such high praises from you. But…” I hesitate not sure what it is I want, “I’m not sure if I can live up to such high expectations…”

“I understand Sandara that this is a lot to take in. This is an idea that I am assuming never even crossed your mind before.” I nod my head, “You are right. There are high expectations down this path, but also great rewards. But that is why you will be given the time to train and learn what you will be up against, what it is necessary for you to succeed. If you say yes, you will not be immediately thrown into a pool of sharks. You will be given the time to understand and prepare, and then have the decision to swim with the sharks or not.”

I wince at the image in my head but thanks to the imagery, it clears my mind and makes my choices crystal clear. A week ago, I never would’ve thought that I was capable of doing more than I already am, BEING more than what I am. I never thought I’d meet my idol or the company that he works with. I never thought I’d be given such a chance to change my life. The chance of a lifetime to see exactly how far I can go. How much I can accomplish. The chance to finally get the acknowledgement from not only others but also myself on what I’m made of. My decision is clear now.

 

“YG sajangnim,” I start. I look up at him into his eyes before doing a 90-degree bow, “Please… take care of me. And help me find my way to discover my full capabilities.”

YG’s hand on my shoulders cause me to look up to see his proud face. “It would be my honor and great pleasure.”

He begins to inform me what he has in store for me. Since he understands that I am coming from very humble beginnings, he will allow me to start slow and currently work on the things I know I have experience with: dancing and choreography.

 

“For now, you will be training with Jae Wook, our choreographer you met last week. You will also be working with him on creating new choreography and teaching it. Also… because discipline and control are just as important, I want to put you as another addition to G-Dragon’s backup dancers.”

My mouth drops open. I can’t possibly do that! “But sajangnim… I thought you said…”

“Yes, as a backup dancer, you aren’t suitable. However, as G-Dragon’s backup dancer, you will have to learn how to control your movements and how much charisma and stage presence you let out. You need to learn control and limits before you can truly know what it is like to be free. Also, by working with G-Dragon, you will be able to see the life of an idol and what it entails. I will warn you now to prepare yourself, it will not be pretty.”

“Yes, sajangnim.” Although I’m dreading what it’s going to be like working with G-Dragon from now on… and Sohee. What are we going to do?

“Also, I would like this arrangement of you as a YG trainee kept a secret.” He looks both at me and Youngbae, “From everyone, even G-Dragon. I feel that it is in your best interest, Sandara that no one knows the path that you are about to embark on. YG trainees are normally not created this way, so you are a special case. We not only don’t want hundreds of people showing up for future auditions but we also don’t want the other backup dancers to believe you are being treated differently or being favored more. Understand?”

Both Youngbae and I nod fully understanding the seriousness and necessity of his request. I was actually relieved hearing this, for some reason I didn’t want anyone else to know about this, especially Sohee.

“Good, I will also inform Jae Wook and Teddy about this arrangement.” Teddy? Teddy as in YG’s record producer?! I’m about to ask YG about why he would have to be informed about this but Youngbae beats me to it.

“Teddy hyung?”

“Yes, in the future I want to see if Sandara has a talent in singing. It may be one of the remaining two pieces, I have yet to discover about her.” YG says straightforwardly.

Singing?! I have no idea. I sing in the shower? But everyone sounds good in the bathroom when singing. I decide to keep my protests inside seeing as I’ve already showed YG enough of my lack in self-confidence.

“So it is settled then.” YG looks at me. “From this day forward, you will be a YG trainee and you will begin your training days as one of G-Dragon’s backup dancers. Then from there, you will work your way up.”

It doesn’t even take me a second more to think. “Yes, YG sajangnim.”

~*End of Flashback*~

 

We reach the ground floor as the elevator doors open and we step out. Youngbae turns to me, “Well, I already missed half of practice… I should probably get going.”

I nod and smile at him, “Go. I’ll be fine going back by myself.”

He raises his eyebrows as if asking if I’m sure and I just nod, “Hurry, go! Everyone will be mad at you.”

He laughs and shrugs, “Whatever.” He grins at me excitedly, “So I’ll see you tomorrow morning at practice.”

Déjà vu hits me as I remember him saying this a week ago, but now things have completely changed. I am absolutely sure I will see him tomorrow.

I nod and give him a thumbs up, “See you there!”

My cheeks flush when he winks at me before turning away and running down the hall.

“Thank you, BaeTae!!” I call out.

“Don’t mention it!” He replies.

I giggle to myself as I make my way out of the YG building. Looks like he’s finally accepted his nickname. I look up towards the now much brighter sky and wonder why is it that every time I walk into the YG building, my life changes so drastically.

I walked in as Park Sandara, a part time teacher at a dance studio, to Park Sandara, a girl with potential and talent to become something bigger.

Now, I am Park Sandara, a secret YG trainee.

 

*BlueNote*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Looks like this will be the last update for tonight >< I'm sorry I haven't updated it as much today!
And I hope you are all satsified with Dara's choice!

As usual, I love hearing what you guys think so please keep it up and let me know!!
Thank you for all the new subscribers and readers, I hope I can continue to keep you all entertained and hooked!

Love you all and good night for now! <3 

*If you are confused about layout/weird details that seem wrong+right at the same time, please read the story description!*