Chapter 1

Love, Symmetry & Rhythm

Chapter 1

~* Two Years Later*~

My feet stopped as I looked up and my eyes took in every detail of the building that was standing before me. I can’t believe this is happening. I took in a deep breath as I focused my view back down to the main entrance of the YG Entertainment building. I can’t believe I’m doing this. I watched girls one after another scurry into the building wearing different combinations of crop tops, torn shirts, sports bras, tight yoga pants, and bootie shorts. Looking down at my over-sized t-shirt and yellow sweats, I start to believe I’m in the wrong place. I can’t do this. As if reading my mind, I feel her slender arms cling onto me tightly.

“Oh no you don’t. You can’t go back now!” Sohee exclaimed while looking up at me with her irresistible puppy dog eyes.

She pouted with her bottom lip trembling and whimpered. She is really using all of the cards now. “If you go back now, you know appa and omma won’t let me go through with it when I get the part!” I closed my eyes and sighed as I remembered a few months ago when my adorable younger cousin and best friend came crying to me for help.

~*Flashback*~

“I’m sure uncle and auntie will come around! There must be something that will make them let you audition!” I comforted her while gently patting her back. Suddenly, Sohee stopped sobbing and looked at me with hopeful eyes.

“Ac-actually…” She sniffed and turned her body towards me squeezing both of my hands, “there is something…” Cue Sohee’s puppy eyes. “They said I could only audition… if you would audition too.”

My eyes grew wide when the sentence fully processed in my mind.

“Ehhh?!” I jumped up from the couch and stared at her in disbelief.

She quickly dove and clung onto my legs, “Please. Please. Pleeeeaase!! I know you’ve always admired GD oppa! And you are a pretty decent dancer! You’ve been dancing just as long as I have so you definitely won’t embarrass yourself! You don’t even have to worry about getting in or not! Please unnie! You know appa won’t let me go because I’m only 17 and they practically see you as my older sister! Come onnnn, please! You might even get to see GD oppa there! Please please please please PLEASE!” She buried her head and tightened her grip around my legs.

It wasn’t that I was afraid of being embarrassed or not getting the part. I knew I wasn’t as good of a dancer as Sohee. It was just a ridiculous idea! I have to admit, when she first told me that G-Dragon was holding auditions for a spot as his backup dancer, I wanted to try out more than anything! But then I started to think realistically, THE G-Dragon, my idol, is searching for a hot, y, and most likely young female back-up dancer and would definitely NOT pick me, Park Sandara, an average, not curvy or y 25 year old. It would be such an odd sight for me to even be there! I’ve only started dancing 5 years ago and that was because Sohee’s parents asked me to accompany her to the classes. Yes, because of that I’ve come to realize my love for dancing; it is my life now, but that doesn’t mean I’m the best at it. I don’t have the best technique, I’m not extremely flexible and can’t do any cool tricks. I just feel it. I never pre-choreograph anything. Once the song comes on, I let my body flow to the music and from there, I keep what I like and scrap what I don’t. I’ve heard before that is what makes me special as a dancer but being a backup dancer for a star is not about feeling the music and making it your own, it is about following choreographed steps that I most likely won’t be able to do.

Sohee, on the other hand, was the complete opposite of me. She not only had the body, but the flexibility, and the ability to make choreographed moves look even better with her charisma and style without breaking a sweat. Her chances of becoming G-Dragon’s backup dancer were definitely high.

Her pleas became louder and louder which snapped me out of my trance, “PLEASE UNNIE! I’m begging you! You are my only hope on being with my GD OPPA!” Her arms tightened even more around my leg to the point where I thought they were going to break. “Don’t you want to get a chance to see your role model?”

It’s true. I did want to see him. I wanted to finally meet him, to tell him how much of an inspiration he was when I saw him live at the concert. That I was drawn to him and the way he moved, the way he felt the music and made it his own, just like me. I thought of countless of ways I would meet him and tell him that, but auditioning to be his backup dancer was never one of them. Just thinking about being in the presence and performing in front of a dancing GOD made me feel sick with fear. What would he think of me?

“WAAAHHHHH!! UNNIE PLEASE!! I WILL DIE IF I MISS THIS CHANCE!” Sohee wailed, a waterfall of tears streaming down her face with wide open gulping for air. My heart tore a little seeing her like this. This was her ugly cry. Her pretty cry was always like a Korean drama, with one or two tear drops falling from her unblinking wide eyes and bit of red on the tip of her nose. She usually used it when she wanted something or wanted to make someone feel bad. But her ugly cry is the real deal.

I closed my eyes and sighed heavily. Who am I to take away this chance from her just because of my own selfish fears?

“Arraso, I’ll do it…” Her eyes opened and searched mine as if making sure that what she heard was correct. Finally, the brightest smile appeared on her face before she lunged upwards and embraced me.

“THANK YOU UNNIE. THANK YOU THANK YOU. I knew you’d say yes! You are the BEST EVER. I promise you won’t regret doing this, I PROMISE” She gave me a big squeeze before releasing me and running to the front door of my apartment. “I’m going home to tell omma that you’re doing it! BYE BYE!”

She was gone in a flash with the door slamming shut behind her. I sighed once again but I couldn’t help but let out a small giggle. Why is she so adorable? I smiled to myself thinking about how happy she was. She is my best friend and my family and seeing her that happy was good enough for me. I’m sure I won’t regret doing this.

~*End Flashback*~

 

I regret doing this.

“I can’t! I’m not ready for this.” I said while wiggling my arm free but it was to no avail. Her skinny arms were stronger than I thought.

“No! I’m not letting you leave me! If you go back now, appa will think I lied about you auditioning and never let me take the job when I get it!” Sohee shouted at me while stomping her foot on the ground.

“I just can’t do it! There are too many people! I’m too nervous Sohee-ah. Please let’s just go back.” I pulled again forcefully. At the same time she let go of my arm, which caused me to stumble backwards. Shocked that I got out of her grasp so easily, I looked questioningly at her until I saw her face. She was mad.

“I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU ARE LEAVING ME LIKE THIS. YOU PROMISED.” She yelled. She crossed her arms firmly in front of her chest and glared at me, “Fine, go home. But I am still auditioning, and when I get the part as GD oppa’s backup dancer, I’ll run away from home and never speak to you, appa, or omma AGAIN!” And with that she ran off and disappeared into the main entrance.

I sighed to myself as straighten my clothes and hair from the tug-of-war situation earlier. I pouted a bit as guilt started to bubble up inside me. I know she would never run away from home, but seeing her that angry at me was a first. You did promise her, you know. Just it up and do it! For Sohee! I nodded to my inner monologue and punched my fist into the sky, “For Sohee!” I gathered all my strength and left my pride and fear behind while marching through the glass doors.

*BlueNote*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hope you all enjoyed this first chapter!

It may be starting off a bit slow, but I just really want to get the details in there!

Thank you everyone! Let me know what you all think ;)

*Sorry for any grammatical or spelling mistakes.*

*If you are confused about layout/weird details that seem wrong+right at the same time, please read the story description!*