side story: Chen

On and On

“Chen” my mom called from deep in the bakery where I grew up.

“Yes?” I called back walking through the hot kitchen.

”Your 18th birthday is here, what would you like to do?” my mom asked.

“Can I invite Xiumin over?” I asked looking down.

“You know your dad doesn’t like him. He always freezes up all the food.” Mom laughed playing with a little dough in her hands.

“ I know mom but he’ll be good I promise!” I begged.

“Chen he’s not a dog” she chuckled. “Well it is a special day, maybe this once”.

“YESSS!” I cheered picking up my cell phone ready to call my best friend.

“Remember what the monks told you?” Mom questioned.

I smiled widely, “I’ll tell you if I feel anything special going on” I groaned, kind of. If your born a male on our planet you go and see the monks at a young age, they will tell your parents if you are going to have any powers. If they think you will, you go to a special school where they prepare you for your powers you will attain when your 18. Some kids get them, and some kids don’t. There were very few boys that went to my school, let alone any girls.

Now off to school with you before your late” Mom said giving me a small loaf and making me run off to school. The streets were busy but luckily with being a super being, I jumped over the cars and made it to arrive with time to spare, but not at my school.

“Gosh Chen you use your small amount of powers for no good reason.” Hyojin said coming up to me.

“Your just upset because your can’t” I chuckled leaning against the school wall. She came close to me so I rested my hands on her hips.

“You know you look really cute in a school uniform” I said. “So do you” she said fixing my tie”

,Happy birthday Birthday” she said kissing me lightly.

“Thanks” I said. Hyojin was my normal everyday girlfriend, thats was I thought. I loved her with all my heart, I would take a gun to my head for her, but I knew she wouldn’t do the same for me.

“Feel anything special coming on?” she asked playing with my hair lightly.

”Nope, but if you kiss me again maybe I will.” I laughed a little.

“Why on EXO am I stuck with you?” she rolled her eyes, “I need to go to class, text me if you suddenly do something cool” she waved and run threw the gate.

And now my turn for class.

“So wait, I’m allowed to come over?” Xiumin asked.

“Yeah” I said smiling at him.“Your dad hates me though” he chuckled freezing his juice box then taking off the cardboard for a popsicle.

“Yeah but I’m 18 today, so who know’s what will happen” I said.

“Don’t keep your hopes up. Those monks can sometimes be wrong. Remember that Kris guy? He’s only power is flying.” Xiumin stated.

“Yeah but what if mine is as cool as yours?” I asked pointing out how cold his hands were.

“No power is as cool as mine” he chuckled rolling his eyes, “You want to pick Hyojin up from her school on our way?” he asked.

Sounds good to me” I said pointing my thumb up.

So we packed up all of our stuff and were off to Hyojin’s high school.

How are things with Hyojin?” Xiumin asked as we jumped around the buildings.

“Ugh, pretty good. I think I want to meet her parents soon”

“You don’t like parents though”

“True but it’s Hyojin. I mean I love her” I said happily.

“Woah dude, don’t go throwing around the L word” Xiumin stuttered hitting me abruptly just outside of Hyojin’s school.

“”“Your just jealous” I rolled my eyes.

“No I mean really” he said pointing down towards the entrance, “Isn’t that Hyojin with that Chanyeol guy?”

I followed his finger that was pointing to a couple down below.

“Don’t be silly Xiumin” I rolled by eyes before I heard a click in my head. I could see so much better, and my hearing was better, I feel like I could hear things from a different planet.

“Chen!” I heard Xiumin call

. “Yeah?” I asked feeling like every single moment I moved felt like nothing.

“Are your powers coming in?”

“I don’t know, I think so.” I said. “wait, that is Hyojin?”

“that’s why I just asked!” he laughed, “that Chanyeol, is he kissing Hyojin?” he stopped almost instantly.

I jumped off the building next to the couple. Xiumin jumped down and stood beside me.

“Hyojin?” I stood there. I watch as the girl moved away to show my Hyojin’s face.

“What?” I asked

. “Chen calm down” Xiumin said looking at the sky. The sun was disappearing and clouds came over the city.

“Chen?” the Hyojin said surpised, “What are you doing here?”.

“it’s my freaking birthday and your making out with someone else?!” I felt like yelling.

“I know this looks bad” Hyojin said taking a step away from me .Suddenly a clap of thunder made her jump.

“Is this his power?” Chenyeol asked Xiumin

. “Must be I don’t see any other reason why the weather suddenly changed like this” Xiumin said

“Let’s go home, these people aren’t worth wasting your energy on.

“Were done Hyojin. Have a nice life” I said walking away.

“Your powers are lighting?!” mom cheered when we got home. My dad walked in quickly, a man with no, to little powers as it stood, so it was stange for me to have greater powers then him.

“Congratulations son.” My dad patted my back, sounding proud for once in his life.

“Thanks” I said looking down. I’m not sure if things will ever be the same again, but now I know for sure I’ll be ready for it.