The Past, The Present, and... The Future?

Oh My Princess!

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon's POV

 

 

"I miss you, dad," I embraced my father as soon as I arrived home.

 

I only get to see my parents every weekend since I'm staying at our school's dorm. Sometimes I couldn't even visit them especially these past few weeks because of the exams.

 

"Where's mom?" I asked him as I plopped down on the sofa in the living room.

 

"She's in the kitchen preparing our lunch. She's making your favorite dish," he replied. "How was the academy? You didn't make some sort of trouble for your teachers did you?" he looked at me with his eyebrows raised.

 

"Come on, dad. You know I'm not a troublemaker," I whined. "A lot of things happened at school but there is nothing that will cause you serious concern."

 

Well... not exactly since it was Tippany's problem.

 

"If you say so," He took out his laptop and began typing on it. "How is Tiffany?"

 

"She is... okay."

 

"Glad to hear that. I worry about that girl sometimes. Eversince that incident happen when she was but a child..."

 

"Me too, dad. Isn't that one of the reasons why I enrolled at the academy? To protect her and look out for her...”

 

 

*****

 

"Are we there yet?"

 

"For the nth time Taeyeon, not yet," my dad replied while driving the car.

 

"But I miss playing with Tippany," I pouted. "We shouldn't have left. That vacation was boring anyways.”

 

"Now, now, Taengoo. You will get to play with her later, okay. Just be patient. It's only a couple of miles more," my mom, Suzy, said.

 

"Fine," I puffed my cheeks and crossed my arms as I looked outside the car's windows.

 

"Are we there yet?" I asked again after a few minutes after I got bored at looking at the scenery.

 

"No." My father sighed and quickly glanced at mom who was seating next to him when he heard her snickering. "Sometimes I wonder where she got that trait from. So impatient."

 

"She got that from you, dear," mom giggled. She then turned to face me.

 

"Honey, why don't you sleep first? I'll wake you up when we've arrived."

 

"Okaaaayyy... but please give me my blankie first."

 

She rummaged her bag and gave me my peas blanket. I quickly took it from her and inhaled its scent.

 

Ahhh... smells like freshly baked gingerbread man.

 

A while later, I drifted off to sleep.

 

 

===

 

I woke up from the sound of my mom's frantic voice.

 

"Dear, look!"

 

"Huh? What's happening?"

 

I rubbed my eyes to remove the sleepiness away. I looked at where mom was pointing and saw smoke from the distance. I realized that it was coming from the direction of our house.

 

Are Tippany's parents having a barbeque party?

 

"Fasten your seatbelts everyone," my dad commanded as he sped through the road.

 

Someone's rather hungry.

 

As we went nearer to our house, the acrid smell of smoke was getting stronger.

 

Uncle Jaeshin probably burned some meat. What a waste.

 

As I saw our house and my friend's house next to it, my jaw widened in horror.

 

"Dear, go to our house and call the fire station and the ambulance! Quickly!" dad scrambled out of the car and surveyed the area.

 

"Honey, stay in the car, okay?" mom said as she went outside.

 

"Ppany..." I muttered, opening the car despite my mom's advice.

 

I rushed towards the burnt house and went to find Tiffany even though there were still parts of it burning.

 

"Where are you Ppany-ah!" I yelled, hoping that she would hear me.

 

"Get out of there! Taeyeon!" my dad screamed and ran after me.

 

I continued my search for Tiffany despite the stinging sensation that I felt from the ambers. I looked at the side and saw something covered in soot that was moving. I cautiously moved closer only to find a girl curled up in a foetal position, silently crying her heart out. Her clothes were dirty from the remains of the fire that consumed her house and splotches of dried up red liquid. But not only that, it was tattered as if something came out of her back.

 

"Ppany-ah..."

 

"Taetae?" she whispered when she noticed me standing beside her. Her voice was huskier than normal. "M-mom and dad..."

 

"Shhh... It's going to be alright," I reached out my hands to her.

 

The girl was not the same Tiffany that I played with just before we went to a vacation.

 

She's changed.

 

I could tell that her hair is of a different color now even though the ashes already clumped to her hair made it blacker. But something tells me that it's not only physical appearance that changed. Something within her became different.

 

"TAEYEON! It's dangerous in here!" My dad bellowed as he caught up with me. His hands gripped me on my shoulders and pulled me towards him, preventing me to come nearer to Tiffany.

 

"U-uncle Soohyun..."

 

"TIFFANY!" He quickly scooped her up like a baby and supported her using one of his arms while he held my hand with the other one.

 

"What happened, Tiffany? Where are your parents?" He asked her as we walked away from the debris.

 

"Mom... Dad... t-they…" Tiffany began to sob uncontrollably and buried her face in my father's neck. "I-it's all my fault... all my fault..."

 

Tiffany kept repeating those words like a mantra.

 

"Dear! Honey!" Mom said as she saw the three of us come through the doorway. She then ushered and welcomed us inside.

 

"Is that Tiffany? Is she alright?" she fussed over my friend's condition.

 

Seeing the state she was in, my mother immediately took the first aid kit from the medicine cupboard and some wet towels.

 

"Fortunately, she's fine," my dad sighed as he placed Tiffany, who was now passed out from exhaustion, gingerly on our couch.

 

"I already called 911 and they said that they will arrive as soon as they can. I also checked our home. It seems that there are no damages from the fire here." she informed him while walking back towards us.

 

"Where is Jaeshin and Yeorim? Did you see them?"

 

My father could only shake his head. "No. I haven't seen anyone else aside from Tiffany. I don't even know if they are still alive."

 

Tears escaped from my mother's eyes as she wiped away the grime and dirt from Tiffany's face. "Why did this happen to them."

 

"Taeyeon, go to your room, now," dad ordered.

 

I obeyed his command and went up the stairs to go to my room.

 

"They were such good people. It's not fair!" my mom wailed, making me stop from walking further. I sat on the top of the stairs and listened in on their conversation. 

 

"I know... but tragedies can befall anyone. It doesn't differentiate people, not good nor bad, once it strikes."

 

"Tiffany is still so young. How could she live properly in spite of everything?"

 

"We will take care of her."

 

"How? We have problems of our own! They are still looking for us, remember? I don't want her to be swept up with our own affairs."

 

What does she mean by that?

Who are they?

 

"It's been years since we lived here and they haven't found us yet, right? It will be fine. Besides, we're not really sure if her parents are already dead or alive. We'll just take care of her and protect her until then. We'll figure something out as time goes by."

 

...

...

 

"Dear, look at Tiffany."

 

"I don't see anything. Why?"

 

"Yeah, that's exactly the point. There's nothing there."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"She should have suffered burns and heavy injuries from the fire. But she doesn't have any. And look at her clothes! I-is that blood?!"

 

"Yeah, but I don't think it's from her, seeing that she doesn't have any wound on her."

 

"Do you think it's from her parents?"

 

"I'm hoping for the best that it's not theirs. Although it's better to expect the worst."

 

"When Taeyeon talked about her having fire abilities, I thought it was just her imagination or some silly child's play. Do you think she's really one of them?"

 

"... I don't know."

 

Just then, I could hear the blazing sirens from outside.

 

"Suzy, go outside and talk to the authorities and tell them everything about this incident but leave anything that concerns Tiffany. I'll have to take her upstairs to Taeyeon's room first. It will be too bothersome if the cops found out about Tiffany's condition. I'll be with you as soon as possible. Remember, don't talk about Tiffany!"

 

I went to my bedroom as fast yet as silent as I could. I don't want them to know that I have been eavesdropping on their conversation. I grabbed a magazine on my bedside table and sat on my bed. By now, I could hear my father's heavy footsteps nearing my room. I opened the magazine and pretended to read. The door finally opened, revealing my dad who was carrying Tiffany.

 

"Taeyeon, move over so that I can place Tiffany on the bed."

 

I scooted over the edge of the bed, still pretending to read.

 

"Don't go out of this room, okay? Mom and dad have some business to attend to to the cops," dad said as he placed my friend on the bed carefully.

 

I nodded as I still continued my act. I heard some footsteps and the closing of the door.

 

Pheeewwww...

 

The door opened once again. "Oh, and honey?"

 

"Yes, dad?" I turned my gaze at him.

 

"Why are you reading your mom's playboy magazine? That's not for kids. I thought I told you not to get that kind of mag from your mom's stash?" he reprimanded me but his tone of voice was not really serious.

 

"But it was mom who left it here!" I reasoned out.

 

"Whatever you say, kid... I'll still tell your mom about this!" he chuckled.

 

"Out of all things she had to inherit from you, Suzy-ah...tsk... tsk..." I heard him mumble as he closed the door.

 

"Stupid mag... You made me look bad," I muttered, as I looked and stared at the pretty unnies on the pages, no longer pretending to read the magazine.

 

"Wow... What a nice S-line."

 

 

===

 

"Taeyeon-ah..."

 

 

"Taeyeon..."

 

 

 

"YAH! KIM TAEYEON!" my mom yelled to grab my attention. Her arms were crossed on her chest. The veins on her forehead were already bulging.

 

"Aren't you going to greet your mother?!" She tapped the floor impatiently.

 

"Oooppss... sorry mom. I think I just had some flashback," I bowed and went to embrace her tightly.

 

"Aigoo... What have you been thinking about? erted things again?" Mom giggled as she patted my and then pinched it. I rolled my eyes at her, hopefully wishing that she doesn't see it or else I'll die.

 

Now who's the byun one here?

 

"Of course not, mom."

 

"Yeah, right," she smirked. "How is Sunny by the way? She's not here with you."

 

"Did she break up with you?!" she faked gasped. "Perhaps she's already fed up with your groping."

 

"What! No, we're still together and we won't ever break up! We both love each other too much to even think about it."

 

"Stop overexaggerating, honey. You're getting way too cheesy."

 

"Sunny's hiking on some mountain at some province. Something about being one with nature and visiting her furry little friends." I said to her.

 

"Oh... And even though Sunny doesn't admit it, she likes being d by me," I wiggled my  eyebrows." My techniques are really good."

 

"Atta girl!" my mom ruffled my hair.

 

"Of course! I learned from the best!"

"From you." I winked at her.

 

"Aww... shucks," she said. "Stop flattering me."

 

"Is lunch ready, dear?" My dad said as he walked towards us. "I'm hungry."

 

"Yes, dear," my mom chirped.

 

"Hey! What the..?" My dad said, surprised by the sudden in the performed by the great master of ertedness.

 

"A lesson for you, my young padawan. Strike while they least expect it," She playfully shoved me towards the kitchen. "Come on.  Let's eat."

 

 

===

 

"Let's take a short break, kid," my dad said after a few hours of sparring.

 

My father and I are currently in our backyard. He always teaches me some sort of martial arts that he calls "Haidong Gumdo" whenever I go visit my parents. He said that it would help me in the future but I should only use it when I need to protect someone.

 

"You're getting better, kid," he said, panting from the serious excercise.

 

"Nah, you're just getting older," I teased which earned me a smack on the head.

 

"Yah, you brat. I may be old but it doesn't show on my face. Be thankful that you inherited my youthful looking face instead of your mother's."

 

"AWWW!" my dad cried out in pain because of my mom's vicious attack on his ear.  Apparently , she was behind him when he said those things. "I didn't know you were here."

 

"Another lesson for you my young padawan. Never talk behind someone's back... especially mine. Got it?" my mom said as she continued pinching her husband’s ear.

 

I nervously gulped as I nod my head. My dad's tortured cries and endless apologies could be heard eventhough my mom dragged him inside the house probably for some more serious beatings.

 

Sigh.

 

I opened my cellphone that I turned off earlier. It's my father's policy to stop any form ofcommunication with others while practice is going on. He says that it will disrupt my concentration that in turn might make me end up with broken bones or worse. So far, I haven't suffered any critical injuries aside from slight bruises that will heal in just a few days.

 

I looked at my phone's screen only to find

24 missed calls

 

I opened my call log to see who was so adamant in trying to contact me.

 

From the bottomless pit.

Sooyoung.

 

I dialled my phone to call her back to see what the fuss is all about. She immediately picked up her phone after only one ring.

 

I guess she really wants to contact me. Must be pretty important...

 

"Sup, Soo-"

 

*deep breath*

 

"Taeyeon!Thankgodifinallycontactedyou!Youbettercomebackherquick!Tiffany'smissing!"

 

"Woah! Hold your Siwons! I can't understand a word you say!"

 

"I said it's nice that I finally contacted you! I had been calling you danshins for quite sometime now but you guys didn't pick up any of my calls!"

 

"Yah! Don't call me a danshin! Call me chibi instead!"

 

*snicker*

 

"Do you even know what  it means?"

 

"No. But I think it's cute. A person said that to me while I was on vacation in Japan.”

 

"Aigooo... you baka."

 

"Huh? Whatever. I don't even know what you're talking about. Anyways, my phone is off earlier. Sunny's hiking so there's probably no signal in the mountains that's why you can't contact her. Why? Is there something wrong?" I asked worriedly.

 

"Oh... I almost forgot..."

 

I could hear Soooung take a deep breath. If I was near her, I could probably be inhaled or by her.

 

"TIFFANY'S MISSING! I HEARD SHE GOT KIDNAPPED SO COME BACK HERE AND HELP US FIND HER! OR ELSE I'M GOING TO TAKE AWAY ALL YOUR PRECIOUS DUKONGS AND GIVE IT TO SUNNY'S DOG TO PLAY AND CHEW ON OR I'LL TALK TO YOU USING AEGYO FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!"

 

Ouch! My ears!

 

"Not my dukongs, you nasty beast! I swear to the god of all peas that I will wreak havoc to all of your meals. And your aegyo! Don't let me start on your aegyo! It gives me migraines that are good enough to make my mind have internal haemorrhage. Sunny's aegyo is enough... Err... wait, don't tell her that. Anyways, I don't want my hands getting stiff from the increase in finger-curling activities. If you continue with it, I'll unleash my maximum byun mode on you! And Tiffany..."

 

What was that about Tiffany again?

 

It starts with an M...

 

maximus...

gluteus maximus?

I already know that. And what a fine specimen it is...

 

menopausal?

Nah...

That's not right.

 

"...What did you say about Tiffany again?"

 

"Tiffany is missi-"

 

"WHAAAAT?! She's missing?! Why didn't you tell me sooner!" I cut her off. I started to panic and went inside our house and scrambled to my room.

 

"Duh! I've been telling you that she's missing but you started with your rant," she said while I was haphazardly stuffing some items in my backpack.

 

"Fine! I'll go back to the dorms as fast as possible. Call me if you find her."

 

"Su-"

 

I hung up on Sooyoung even before she finished talking and went downstairs to find my parents cuddling with each other on the couch.

 

Eww.. gross...

 

"Mom, Dad, I'm going back to the dorms. It's an emergency!" I said to them while rushing towards the door.

 

I doubt they'll hear me.

They're already in their own world.

 

In my haste, I accidentally bumped into a man who looks awfully familiar while on my way out of our gates. I noticed that he was about to press the button of our doorbell.

 

"Ouch!"

 

"I'm sorry, mister!" I bowed and speedwalked away from him.

 

"Hey wait!" the dino-looking man said. I stopped and turned to look at him. I don't want to be disrespectful towards my elders.

 

"Is this the house of Kim Soohyun and Bae Suzy?" he asked.

 

"Yes it is. They are currently inside right now," I answered him.

 

"I see. Thanks."

 

"Please pardon my rudeness but I have to leave now." I bowed once again and ran away from him.

 

"Thank you, Taeyeon-ah!" he yelled.

 

That's weird. How did that ahjussi know my name?

 

I shrugged, dismissing the thought, and just continued my way back.

 

 

===

 

It's already twilight. The sun will probably rise in just a few more  minutes. Yet here I am on my dorm room's balcony, still not asleep, still waiting for any news about Tiffany. It's been a few hours since I've gone back. It was chaotic. Everyone's searching everywhere. I even searched some motel rooms just to find Tiffany. Who would've thought that there are themes in those kinds of rooms? Not me though... well... fine, I admit. I know since there are some articles about them from my mom's magazines.

 

Sigh.

 

I wonder how Sunny would react once she finds out about Tiffany's disappearance. My danshin partner is still out there in the mountains, not knowing anything.

 

Sigh.

 

I placed my palm on my head, supporting it as I  leaned on the railings of the balcony. I looked at the horizon, wondering where the heck is that eyesmiling girl right now.

 

Hmmm... a bird.

 

I focused my gaze on the bird that seems to get bigger and bigger as seconds pass by. I squinted my eyes to get a better look at it.  The irregular flapping of the bird's wings makes me worried for some reason.

 

Wait... no... that's not a bird!

It's an angel!

 

An angel with long crimson hair that seems to be burning under the sun's rays.

 

Red hair...

Burning...

Fire.

 

...Tiffany?

 

 

OMG! It is her! It's Tiffany. And… she's flying!

 

I gasped at the sudden realization. My heart almost fell out of my ribcage when I saw her falling down, unable to flap her wings any longer. With no time to lose, I climbed on the railings and jumped off the balcony... a few stories above the ground.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Can't think of a proper title. Everyhting's all in mumbo jumbo. Too many things going on. Hehehe...

Oh wow... 3,250 words. O_o The longest chapter I've ever written.

It's a secret between you and me. Don't tell anybody especially my boss..... I wrote this fanfic chapter while I'm at the office. Lol. I'm superbad.

Thanks to yunka9190 and sunbyung4eve for the upvotes! ^^