The Day When Everything Went Downhill

Oh My Princess!

 

 

 

Tiffany's POV

 

 

I was in our house's backyard with Taeyeon. She and I are neighbors so it's no wonder that we hang out at each other's place. There was no house beside ours except for the Kims since we live on the edge of town. My parents like the place since it's quiet and there were not much people to disturb us.

 

Instead of hide-and-seek or playing house, Taeyeon and I were playing with something that no ordinary kids can do.

 

"That is so amaaaazing!" Taeyeon said as she stared at my fingers. "Do it again!"

 

Both of us were giggling as I played with fire. I would make some on my fingertips then Taeyeon will try to extinguish it. I always heard my parents not to play with my powers especially out in the open but I can't help myself. It was too much fun and besides I can control it anyways.

 

"That's so cool, kid," a bearded man said outside our house, peering over our fence, his hands resting on the edge of the fence. "You can create fire at your own will?"

 

"Mmm," I nodded at him, smiling. Eventhough he was a stranger, and mom always says never to talk to one, I can't help but answer him. It's not a regular occurrence that I get a chance to boast of my talents.

 

"Can you do more?" he asked. It seems that he is really interested in my flames.

 

"Taetae, please step back," I said as I gently pushed her aside. "I don't want to you to be hurt."

 

"I don't think it's a good idea, Pany-ah. Your parents will get mad at you." She reluctantly stepped back and watched me with worried eyes.

 

"It's fine, Taetae."

 

I created flames as large as I can without burning anything. I manipulated the fire to swirl around me, spiraling over my arms, body, and legs. Once I got bored of it, I held out my hands and concentrated the fire on my palms, separating the once huge flame into two fireballs.

 

"This is the only thing that I can do right now, mister. I'm still a kid so I can't do more," I smiled cheekily at him, juggling the fireballs on my hands.

 

"Oh, I see. But still, you have a rare talent. Not anyone can do that," he praised me, grinning.

 

"Thank you, mister!"

 

"Kiiidsss! Snack time!" My mom yelled from inside the house. I quickly dispelled the flames on my hands and bade goodbye to the man. I entered our house with Taeyeon in tow, smiling widely

 

"I don't trust that guy," Taeyeon said while we were walking towards the kitchen. "The way he looks at you is so creepy."

 

"Don't be like that, Taetae. Mister looks like a nice guy," I defended.

 

"I don't think so. I have a bad feeling about him," she shook her head as she placed her hand over her chest.

 

¤¤¤

 

"How was your day, sweetie?" my dad asked me while we were eating our dinner. It has been days since I met the mysterious man on our backyard.

 

"I got a perfect score in our exams again!" I answered merrily.

 

He ruffled my hair in appreciation. "That's good to hear, sweetie. What do you want for a reward?"

 

"Ice cream! Lots and lots of ice cream!" I replied excitedly, even bouncing on my chair.

 

"We don't have any right now though," my mom said, making me sad a little. "Why don't you come with me for grocery shopping tomorrow? You can pick anything you want."

 

My frown turned back into a smile. "Really?! Anything I want?!"

 

"Yes, anything you want," she cooed, pinching my cheeks.

 

"What's that?" my dad said nervously when we heard someone turning our doorknob forcefully, trying to break in. Banging sounds were heard later.

 

"You two stay here," he commanded.

 

He stood up from his seat and went towards the closet in the kitchen. He took a metal bat and proceeded towards the door, holding the bat tight. After a minute, he ran back inside, his face drained of color.

 

"Tiffany, I want you to hide inside the cupboard, okay? Don't make a sound and never come out of it until I say so."

 

"Why?" I asked him, puzzled with the situation.

 

"Just do what your father said, honey. We're playing hide-and-seek right now and the Kims are the 'its'," mom said, gripping dad's sleeves tight.

 

"But mooom," I rolled my eyes at her. "Taeyeon and her parents are out of town. They won't be back until tomorrow morning."

 

I sighed and reluctantly went inside the cupboard under the sink when they looked at me seriously, like they were pleading me to just go and hide.

 

The cupboard was dark, cold and rather damp. It was really confined even for my small body. I couldn't move much from my position. To be honest, I'd rather lose the said game than wait in here in this cramped space like this.

 

A few minutes later, I heard something heavy fall nearby and scurrying of feet afterwards.

 

"WHERE'S THE FIRESTARTER?!" A man's voice boomed throughout the house.

 

That's not my dad nor Uncle Soohyun's voice.

 

Then...

Burglars?!

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," my dad said calmly.

 

"THE GIRL! GODD*MNIT!" the man cursed. I could hear someone stomping the wooden floor.

 

"W-what girl? O-only the two of us lives here," mom said, stuttering. I heard a loud smack and a whimper from mom.

 

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING TO MY WIFE?!" Dad yelled, angry at the unwanted visitors.

 

"Well, she's obviously lying. I just saw the girl a few days ago creating fire out of nowhere in front of my eyes," a familiar voice said. The same voice that praised me of my powers.

 

"If there really is a girl living here... what will you do to her?" he said. I could imagine my dad containing his emotions.

 

"Well, we would sell her of course! Don't you know how much she will fetch on the black market?" the bearded man laughed evilly. "She's a rare specimen! Those power-hungry people would bid lots of money just to have her. We'll be rich beyond our wildest dreams!"

 

"YOU BASTARDS!" my dad shouted. I heard scuffling, gunshots, and a loud thud as if someone fell to the floor.

 

I gasped while my mom screamed when we heard the gunshot. My heart started to beat fast from worry over who got shot.

 

"Jaeshin-ah!" mom called my father, crying hard. "Please don't die on me!"

 

D-dad got shot?!

 

I felt something wet on my fingertips that seeped from the crack of the cupboard. I started to hyperventilate when noticed that it was rather thick in essence compared to water.

 

B-blood?

 

"P...protect T...tiffany, Yeorim...," my dad mumbled, wheezing. Mom continued to wail in sorrow, this time much louder.

 

"Please don't die on me!" my mom bawled.

 

"Shut up, woman!" the other man said. I heard another gunshot and a thud.

 

Tears streamed down my cheeks as I lamented over the fate of our family. I have no clue as to my parents condition. I don't even know if they are still alive. I tried to stifle my sobs but failed miserably.

 

"I think I know where the girl is now."

 

Footsteps were getting louder which probably mean that the one who's making the sound was coming nearer to me. I placed my hands over my mouth to stop myself from crying out loud. The rustic smell of blood wafted to my nose as my hand got nearer to my face.

 

"PEEK-A-BOO! I see you!" the man said menacingly as he opened the cupboard where I was hiding.

 

I shrieked when I was forcefully dragged by the arms outside of the cupboard, squinting my eyes from the light. I thrashed around in the man's arm to escape his hold. I managed to get away by kicking his shin but slipped on the floor wet with blood.

 

Blood.

 

Blood pooled around my dad on the floor a feet away from me, oozing slowly out of the bullet holes in his body. Next to my dad was my mom. I cried as I ran towards them.

 

"Mom... Dad.... Please wake up!" I said as I shook their bodies. "Please don't leave me alone."

 

"They're already dead, kid. I shot them," a man with a big build said as he walked towards us, waving a gun in his hand. "There's nothing more that you can do. So just come with us if you don't want to end up like your parents."

 

"Don't come near!" I stood up and made fire on my hands, glaring at him. "Or else!"

 

"Or else what?" he looked at me, his sinister eyes glinting with amusement. "We're wearing fire proof clothes. Did you not think that we wouldn't take any precautions before coming here?"

 

He puffed up his chest and pounded on it. "Come on! Try hitting me here!"

 

I made a fireball and threw it on his face. Why would I hit him in a place where he is protected? I'm not stupid. He howled in pain and agony as my fire burned his flesh. He went to the sink and opened the faucet to get rid of my fire.

 

"Aaaargh... You brat!" He aimed the gun at me and pulled the trigger. I closed my eyes, waiting for my inevitable death.

 

Mom... Dad... Let's meet again in heaven.

 

I opened my eyes when I felt someone hugging me. I looked up to see my mom smiling at me. She took the bullet that was for me even when she already got shot.

 

"We will... always be... with... you," she said as she closed her eyes and fell to the floor once again.

 

"Are you an idiot!" The bearded man scolded the other one. "Why did you try to shot the girl?! We need her!"

 

"But boss, she hit me with her witchcraft."

 

"You could always get plastic surgery once we sell her, you doofus. Good thing that stupid woman took the hit. I hope she's finally dead though."

 

My anger towards the two men peaked its highest. I really wanted to hurt them bad for killing my parents.

 

Do you want revenge to those who took away your parents from you?

a voice in my head spoke.

 

Yes...

 

A magic circle appeared below me. A few seconds later, fire erupted from every pores of my body, engulfing me in flames. My once raven hair turned red while my crimson flames turned to blue. It felt like my fire's hotter than before, more destructive... and deadlier. White wings sprouted from my back involuntarily and beyond my control.

 

"D-demon!"
"S-satan's child!"

 

The two cowards ran away from me, even stepping on the corpse of my father. It made me snap, making me see more red.

 

¤¤¤

 

When I came to my senses, it was already dawn. I was kneeling on the ground as I looked at the remains of my home. What was once a house filled with laughter and happiness turned into a black ruin full of soot, regrets, and death, embers dancing in the wind. The hell that I conjured left no evidence of the deaths of four people.

 

I cried silently once again when I realized that there were no charred bodies of my parents left for me to mourn for. Everything turned to ashes. No remnants were left for me to hold on to, only the memories in my mind. Everything changed in just one night. And it was all my fault.

 

If I just followed my parents' advice on not using my powers out in the open...

 

If only I didn't talk to strangers...

 

If I didn't let myself be fooled by the bearded man's coaxing...

 

If I only listened to Taeyeon's warning...

 

 

 

If only I have no powers...

 

 

...this wouldn't have happened.

 

I would probably be waking up to my dad's gentle nudging. I would probably be having breakfast with my parents right about now, the smell of freshly cooked pancakes with butter and maple syrup increasing my appetite. Dad running around in his PJs as he was late for work while mom and I would chuckle over his state. Then later in the day, mom and I would go to the grocery store to buy some ice cream and other snacks that I will put in the cart.

 

I sighed as I think of all what ifs. I don't want anything bad to happen ever again because of my powers. If I promise to myself that I would never use it again just to save others from my destructive self, then I'll do it, no questions asked.

 

"I promise never to use my powers again. I swear on my parents' deaths," I whispered, the cool morning breeze carrying my childhood further away.

 

 

 

 

A/N: Here's a bit of Tiffany's past and the reason why she doesn't want to use her powers anymore. She thinks it was her fault that her parent died... so... yeah.

 

The battle chant last update was taken from the minions in the movie "Despicable Me", you know, those yellow dudes with goggles on them. I modified it a bit though, instead of potato, I used goguma. TTS also sang it in one of the radio shows, those lovable dorks ^^

link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2p_3B34ev8

Minions... kr version ;)

 

Rant: I've been busy these couple of days... April's a busy month for me since I have to take care of some documents for the BIR, tax stuff...i'm an accountant so... hehehe

 

Thanks to UnfoldedStories for the upvote! ^^