Chapter 19

Working Overtime

I'm back! Yay~! It was actually a bit earlier than I expected so taht's also good news! I'd also like to welcome my two new subscribers: sooyoung_05 and Bungsky! Thanks to every one of my subscribers I have 50 of you guys now! :DD I'd like to thank all of you guys, especially those who have been around since the beginning! 

 

~~~~

 

 

“So, how exactly do you know Seungri?” I asked him and he cleared his throat. He gestured with his fingers to come closer and so we met halfway across the table, his mouth next to my ear.

“Seungri’s known to have a little darker side to be a maknae; he gets caught up in a lot of different scandals,” Kyung whispered and ruffled his orange curly hair. Scandals, could they be true?

“Scandals, like what?” I asked curiously. The eight of us scooted down the table for extra measures so the Panda eyed seventh year or the other wouldn’t be able to hear us. The seven of them looked around for extra precautions before Kyung spoke up again. They should be a bit scared, these are older and more respected members of the Special D.A’s. Not to mention they could get hurt from saying these things that are probably true.

“He has a lot of dating scandals, but he says he’s only close with Angels and humans. He also has this, uh, …scandal with a human in Japan,” yeah, I would’ve stuttered when talking about that too. That is a disturbing topic, especially for me since Seungri is younger by quite a few years.

“He’s labeled as a player, even in the human world everyone in Kangnam knows Lee Seunghyun,” Jae Hyo added. That was really impressive, so he’s a player and an all-around person, very social.

“The Devil doesn’t know about this?” I raised an eyebrow.      

“Nope, gossip doesn’t necessarily run on his radar,” Jiho shrugged. Damn the Devil is really slow with the news of his Demons and surrounding Angels… Scandals are tough, especially if you’re social above ground. The whole point to being a Demon is to protect your Angel; you can’t do that when everyone knows who you are. People like to spread rumors, like when you fought this freaky looking dude in the park. That doesn’t look good for you…

“Seungri, another down,” I smirked and leaned back into my chair. This was starting to get a little easier; the D.A’s aren’t as clean as they seem to be. Now, the other two… “Anything on Daesung?” the blonde, angelic looking Demon had to have something going on! Look at him, that smile is not right for Demons! I glanced at him, again, he was smiling and his eyes curved into barely visible moons.

“Ne, I know something,” Jiho piped up and I shot a glance at him from across me.

“Really?” I asked softly. I was actually kind of kidding; I didn’t think Daesung would have something to hide! He actually looked pretty truthful to me! Jiho nodded, suddenly Jae Hyo and Yukwon got it.

“Oh right! It’s a really good one too,” Jae Hyo whispered. It stirred excitement in my stomach. What kind of secrets does Daesung hide? Is it that bad?

“Well, Daesung Hyung has a type of addiction…” Jiho mumbled, folded his hands together, and wouldn’t look me in the eyes. I dropped my mouth.

An ADDICTION?! Is it the kind I’m thinking of?! Even if we are in Hell there are strict rules for addictions, any type really! It’s mostly because Gummy Noona likes it if the Demons don’t influence the Angels and so Se7en came up with the idea of Morales of Addiction. It’s basically a few rules about how not to get addicted to anything that is considered sinful for Angels or humans. In the beginning of my generation I remember some people thought it was bull so they went on and did drugs and one day they were called over to Se7en and I never saw them again…so yeah don’t drink or do drugs. “Daesung is really swift when it comes to his addiction. He leaves Hell at night, about 9-11 and then he comes back early in the morning. He was talking to the D.A’s one day about his addiction and they said it would be a secret but I never said I would!” Jiho grinned.

“What?” I asked.

“He goes out to multiple casinos and he gambles like it’s the end of the world.” Oh…not the addiction I was thinking of but it’s still good blackmail!

Gambling violates the greed section of the Morales of Addiction, it’s betting your money in order to get more. That’s obviously greed when you’re risking it! I glanced over at Daesung. He was smiling, telling jokes, and laughing lot. This guy totally doesn’t give off the gambler vibe! Daesung was the innocent and kind one of the D.A’s, possibly the least annoying; I never would’ve guessed this guy was a cold hearted money risker at night! “I’ve heard he was pretty blunt when gambling, he risks either a lot or doesn’t at all,” Jiho added and a grunt of moving around in his seat.

“Wow, that’s addicted…” I muttered and they all nodded slowly in agreement.

“He goes every weekend, so he doesn’t get caught but sometimes he’ll head out on Fridays or Mondays something like that.” So his addiction is a somewhat controlled one, like smoking. You can hold it off and set times where you need to do it.

“I heard he’s been hitting up the local casinos too much so now he uses the transporting stairs to head to other countries!” Tae Il laughed, causing the other D.A’s to look over.

“Nothing,” I told them and the reluctantly turned away. They’ll be listening in now; the conversation isn’t safe here anymore. I hurriedly finished my food and patted Jihoon’s arm. “Let’s head out, I’m full,” I told them all and we stood. I decided to head to my cave, the doors are pretty thick and my bedroom will have enough space to fit all of us. I locked the doors once we arrived and we piled into my room. Yukwon, Tae Il, Kyung, and I were on my bed while Jiho, Jihoon, Jae Hyo sat around the bed. So Daesung travels around the world to feed his habit, I guess he’s not so stable after all.

“I’m pretty sure that’s it for Daesung and Seungri…” Jae Hyo mumbled. Now for Minji.

“Don’t ask for Minji, because we don’t know anything,” Jihoon said softly, as if reading my thoughts. I paused, a little shocked/surprised. They have something on everyone else except Minji?

“Why not?” I inquired and folded my legs beside Kyung who did the same. There was a slight hesitation among the group causing my muscles to tense in reaction.

“She’s secretive, she doesn’t do much and we never see her around very often. Kind of like you,” Kyung responded while patting down his hair. I feel like they’re hiding something, great. My one resource for information is keeping secrets. Or, might I actually have a friend in this organization after all?

That kind of bothered me, why doesn’t Minji have something against her? Is she hiding something, if anything? Are the fifth years hiding something they know from me? That sudden heaviness of tension in the room earlier disturbed me. If they are hiding something, why do they have to hide it from me? I thought I had some friends after I threw mine out but I guess I could be all alone in this… I wanted to be left alone to process the outcomes and possibilities so I had them leave. They wouldn’t talk outside my door; they would speak somewhere where they knew it would be private. These guys are skillful when it came to secrecy and others’ privacy, I had to be a step further if I wanted to find out something they wouldn’t tell me. But first, let’s focus on Minji for a moment.

I sat down on my bed and took out a notebook and a pencil. I began listing things why the team could be hiding things and what Minji was hiding. Her secret could involve them, that is a highly possible assumption. But she could also be very self-kept, secretive, another possibility. She’s not quiet but I guess that not a lot of people know much about her; even Bom didn’t know a lot. At the time I just thought that Bom was stupid, now I see that it helps me in the present. Why do I feel like Minji’s mystery is something much larger than everyone else’s? It’s just a guess but that’s what it feels like…and so far a lot of my guesses have come true. After writing so my fingers ached I stopped and fell back on my bed. I’ve been so tired lately; I was still in my pajamas before they dragged me to the metal room. I can sleep on a mattress again…

Before I went to sleep and I have paper and a writing utensil, I decided that I would make a letter to myself after this blows over. I don’t know why but I’ve been feeling particularly deep lately so I thought it’d be a good thing to do. Not to mention something fun to refer to later on. So, without thinking, I began to write down my different thoughts about everything happening at the moment:

Dear Seunghyun of the Future,

       I know things have been rough, with the blackmailing of the different D.A members, and the extra five or so years of training, and finding Bom on Ceres. But by now she should be safely in your arms while you’re reading this. She might be a bit banged up or so, but she’ll be safe with you and you’ll be better when protecting her. If you can, try to talk to her about your inner emotions without crying. I know you’ve wondered about the choices for a long time, perhaps you still are, but everyone seems to be breaking the rules and you can’t let them steal your position as the rebel! Bom and you are special; you two are the ideal pairing of Demon and Angel. It wasn’t at all great in the beginning but this should bring you closer together which is the only upside to this whole experience. Okay I lied, not really…I don’t know if you recall trying to figure out peoples’ secrets for easy blackmail or not. Right now I’m struggling with finding Minji’s. If you figure it out later then we’re all set! Hopefully you won’t have to use the blackmail often or ever but, you know, just in case.

You’ll get them back later, and you know what I’m talking about! Your friends, after you save Bom and bring her back you’ll be better again. You’ll be like you were before, barely bearable but at least you’ll be pleasant once more. As of today, though, you’ll be alone until then. I hate to break it to you but it’s true. There’s no one to trust, no one will obey, no one will understand, and no one will do the things you’re willing to do. You’ve known you were on your own for a while but now there’s proof. Se7en is in love with an Angel, Ji, Chae, Tae, and Dara are in love, Seungri’s caught up in scandals that happen to be true, Daesung’s a hardcore gambler, and soon you’ll find out about the rest of them. Secrets are meant to be kept, that’s why it’s your responsibility to find out the ones you need to know in order to satisfy yourself.

Finally, in the future, I want you to look back and I want you to feel the emotions we went through. This has been an experience of a lifetime; hopefully we never have to experience this again. Remember the grief you felt when Bom was gone, remember the anger pumping through your veins when you were encased in metal for a week, remember the thrill of shooting a gun for the first time and sparring with the fifth years, the frustration when on the two/three day mission to get the water, and now the persistent thoughts trying to figure out everyone’s secrets. This has barely been a month and you feel like dying. I honestly wish you the best of luck even in your future and I hope that everything will fall into place. Not to mention, with all your goals for the even further future.

Good luck and have fun,

~Somewhat-Younger Seunghyun

 

I smiled, pleased with my letter to myself and folded it up. I thought of where to put it, somewhere where I wouldn’t see or notice in five years’ time. I sighed, I knew where to put it but I might stay there for a while. I didn’t care, I’ll put it there. I walked out of my cave and slowly guided myself out of the maze. I ignored everybody, the talking, the aimless bumping and I stepped up the staircase. I thought of the park, I’ll just flash from there. The park where everything started. I pushed through the doors and the white light flashed before my eyes. I blocked them with my arm and felt the cold air brush goosebumps across my arms. The darkness of the field was pitch black, but I quickly snapped my fingers and appeared in front of the dusty house. My house, our home.

I pulled my key out of a loose pocket and inserted it into the key hole. It slid in easily and the wooden door creaked open, but didn’t echo. I slipped my shoes off at the welcome mat and entered, shutting the entrance quietly and the light so the area didn’t seem so dark. I gulped; everything was the same except for the fact dust was collecting everywhere. This place was our home for ten years, being away for not even a month hurt me. Shivers went through my spine and I softly walked up the stairs, as if Bom was sleeping…it was a habit for me to do that. I wrapped my hand around the metal knob to Bom’s bedroom door, where I wanted to put my letter, when my heart clutched in my chest. The light was on in there.

A thin layer of golden light appeared through the perimeter of the door. I tried to swallow but it suddenly became difficult. I was sure I had come alone, no one had followed or showed any potential to caring where I went at night. Who’s in there? I stopped shaking my leg and wiggling my arms and froze, so I could try to hear some conversation. “We really shouldn’t be here,” a voice hoarsely whispered. Sounds male…

“It was your suggestion!” another hissed. This one is female, they better not be doing anything!

“Yeah but, what if he doesn’t come?” oh, are they talking about me? I pressed my ear against the cold door, the temperature shocked me a bit but I adjusted quickly.

“You said it yourself you knew he would! I thought you knew him!” , who the are these people?! No one gets me! My curiosity got the best of me; I swung the door open, purposely causing it to echo throughout the house. Yukwon…and Minji were in there…

“What the hell are you two doing in here?!” I growled, lifting up my lip slightly. Yukwon stood up from her bed, a somewhat apologetic look on his face. Minji was standing with her arms crossed and that dark gleam in her eyes, they were pretty opposite just in the room alone.

“You want to know secrets, here she is,” Yukwon said to me and I widened my eyes a little. He actually got her to come that obediently? I stepped over to Minji, putting my letter into my pocket. Our eyes both felt hard and cold, neither one of us blinked. Usually Minji would be lively and funny, around her friends. I stopped being her friend for like five days now.

“You came quickly,” I muttered and pressed my hands into my pockets. It looks like they came through the window; it was wide open letting chilly air into the room.

“I don’t have a choice, whatever you pin on me you have to pin on him,” Minji gestured to Yukwon who was now back on the bed, breathing irregularly now. I frowned. I knew he was a part of it! I looked to Minji and pointed to Bom’s bed, she sat down next to Yukwon. They both stared at the floor, biting their lips and folding their hands. Yukwon trusts Minji enough to let me know their secret, whatever it is. He really thinks I won’t need it. Hm, better be right Yukwon.

“It involves both of you how?” I wondered, standing up so I felt more superior than I already was.

“We’re connected…” Yukwon muttered, still not looking up from the ground. Vague.

“How so?” I asked again, bending my knees so I squatted and Minji sighed shakily.

“Haven’t you noticed? Yukwon is like an Angel in a Demon’s body while I’m like a Demon in an Angel’s body. We were created, together,” Minji’s response came clear and strong, just like how she usually spoke even when nervous. Even if my heart nearly exploded at the outcome I only smirked. I knew this secret was huge…

“So, you two are like…siblings then?”

“Ne,” the both responded in unison. 

 

A/N: Holy cow! Minji and Yukwon are (technically) related?!?! Don't forget to COMMENT!