Chapter 14

Working Overtime

So sorry I took so long! >.< I was really busy and I focused a lot on my other story, Remember Us (if you don't know), but that was terrible of me. Thank you to my new subscriber: BomBommiee! I like subscribers (& commenters) they make me feel good about writing and encourages me to continue! 

 

~~~~

 

When I woke up I could barely lift my head, I was that tired. My outburst and pent up emotions were taking its toll on my body, it suddenly became hard to move. I rolled over, wantind to do something that just escaped my mind, and dropped from my bed onto the floor with a surprised shout and I hit the ground forcefully. I groaned, vexed with my restless sleeping body putting me at the bed's edge and jumped up while I had the energy to. I shook my hair with both hands and walked towards my kitchen, pulling out some water and an energy booster. After chugging it all down I pulled back my arms and stepped to the door. I pushed on it, but it didn’t budge. I tried again but it wouldn’t move from its position. I must be tired. “It’s no use!” I heard Youngbae shout. Fear buried itself in my gut and anger shook my veins. Does it have to be this ing early in the morning?!

“What the hell did you do?!” I growled and slammed on the rock, suppressing a couple long cracks.

“It won’t move until the mission’s over,” he informed me.

“When I get out I’m gonna go on that mission!” I shouted determinedly and when I’m determined to do something I tend to get it done.

I dressed myself in my uniform and in the meantime I packed a knapsack for the mission. I slammed in snacks, flashlights, knives, a map, a sleeping roll, matches, and a washcloth so I could wipe myself if I needed to. Then I finally turned to my first obstacle: the blocked door. I walked over and pushed on it, making sure to scan the area of the circle. It scraped against the perimeter but the spot where it wouldn’t was at the ends of each diameter. I tried to poke my eye through the slit but I only put my face to rock. I sighed angrily and I looked around my apartment/den. I searched my room, looking for a certain tool that I knew would bring me out. I checked under my bed, on my hands and knees and smiled. There’s my blow torch!

I flipped my metal mask down as I prepared to flame down my door. I was desperate, I wanted to go. If I was correct they would leave at around 1 in the afternoon after lunch. Right now it was 10 a.m. I have about four hours to bust myself out, fight whatever was waiting for me outside the door, and sneak onto the helicopter they would be boarding on the surface. I flared my blow torch, sending white sparks and whirring noises flashed in my ears and eyes. A few landed on my uniform but only slightly burned before going out. As I paused to check if I had made any progress I was only frustrated to see that my door had no burn marks whatsoever.

So much for knowing it could bring me out! I put my blow torched back under my bed and paced my room, thinking of ideas I could break free. I don’t even know what’s holding me back so I could find its weak point but it’s mostly likely bolted down. I rubbed my forehead, ideas running through my mind but they slipped away quickly. I was suddenly in a panic and because of that my mind went wild and I couldn’t focus. Slowly my energy began to waste, I gave up hope easily when I couldn’t figure something out. I fell on the couch and took a breath. Things happen right? At least, you’ll be able to see Bom. If only you knew where she was. Out of nowhere before I could even think my hand slapped my head. “You !” I know the maze; I can just flash out of here and into the hallway! I jumped up and looked towards the clock, 11 in the morning. I should rest up for another hour, I needed some more hours. And with that idea I dropped onto the couch and closed my eyes before my head hit a pillow.

I was jumping up the second I awoke, throwing my backpack on and snapping my fingers. I thought of the halls and appeared in front of Daesung and Seungri. I scoffed as they stared surprised and shocked. “They put you two in front of my door to make sure I wouldn’t leave?” I chuckled and shoved Seungri against the door causing Dae to jump back holding up his hands from a fighting stance. I moved my hands around his head, in a way so with one powerful I could snap his neck. “One move, and you’re dead,” I whispered and he moved slightly in fear.

“Woah! S-Seunghyun, let’s think for a minute,” Daesung attempted to reason but I focused on Seungri’s life in my palms. He shook even harder now when I wouldn’t speak to Dae, probably having things running through his little mind.

“You’re scary now, Hyung,” he whimpered weakly and I grinned.

“I know, when this all passes over I’ll be okay. I promise you guys, but for now whoever gets in my way will face consequences,” I told them both; Daesung became less stiff while Seungri went limp. “Good, I promise. I don’t break promises, I’ll treat you guys when this blows over,” I told them and ran towards the labyrinth exit, hearing the two argue on what they wanted to get in about five years.

I know, I will not break that promise. I’ll remember and do something great for those two, they deserve it for letting me do all of these things. They earned it for having my back and for me almost killing them multiple times, maybe even more later on in life. I raced down the hall, pushing back every Demon who stood in my path. I ran into the arena and I raced towards the entrance to the surface world. The stairway was lit by torches, a long diagonal run of steps. “STOP SEUNGHYUN!” I heard Tablo and Hoyoung command but I was already slamming myself into the bright light, thinking of Seoul, a place that was supposed to be my hometown for another century to come. If everything goes down the way I want it to go.

I appeared in the park, a black helicopter spinning its blades. This was the park where everything went wrong, where I met “Siwon”. I shivered at the thought of the man, even if he was a tad good looking. But aside from that, I shouldn’t think about the monster. He’s dead I killed him myself. Youngbae and Jiyong were just boarding, I hadn’t realized my hiding spot came from behind a tree. My heart was beating quickly now, as I stared out of my right eye only. “Set?” Se7en asked them and slapped a hand on the aircraft.

“Yep, hey, I’m surprised Seunghyun couldn’t get through those bolts,” Dara whispered to Youngbae. He grinned, as if!

“I forgot about the popping thing us Demons have, I guess he did too. But we can’t take a chance that’s why we’re heading out half an hour early,” he shrugged. As a Defense Instructor it was a well thought plan but not enough to keep me away!

“Yeah, Bom did tell us he got really mad easily though,” Chaerin added to the conversation. “They knew each other well, like a dog and a cat that live in the same house.”

“I guess I get where you’re coming from, but, he’s getting out of control. We only need to train him and bring him along on the mission. That guy’s a killing mission!” Jiyong sighed. The conversation began getting interesting; I like to know what other people think of me. Like everybody else does.

“Yeah, heard he’s doing well with the guns. If only he could amp up everything else!” Youngbae and Jiyong laughed. I gripped the tree tighter, getting a little heated.

“You guys are so mean,” Dara grumbled. I’m beginning to know why they pair up Demons and Angels not Demons and Demons…Angels are so much nicer! “He’s going through tough times, it’s not fun at all to beat him up especially when he’s not here!” Dara smacked both of their heads causing Chaerin to laugh. At least someone has my back. I miss you even more Bom.

“He’s just a bit out of it, since Bom isn’t around to control him as much.” What?! Bom doesn’t control me!

“Alright, Tae Il, they’re set,” Se7en told the pilot, the same shark looking kid I met the other day. Aw hell yes! I grinned, knowing he wouldn’t care if I jumped in or not. Se7en walked back down into the door, running into Tablo and Hoyoung but the door had already shut so they disappeared. I ran out from the tree when the helicopter was at least seven feet off the ground and escalating. I snatched onto one of the landing skis making the helicopter lurch on the extra weight.

“Holy !” Jiyong swore and I swing myself in, taking down Youngbae and Jiyong accidentally but I wanted to do it anyways.

“You think I’m stupid huh?!” I growled and got off of them, not even wasting my energy. I climbed into the passenger seat next to Tae Il who grinned.

“I saw you back there,” he informed me as he played around with the instruments on the panel, flipping switches, pressing flashy buttons, adjusting nozzles.

“Can you go faster? I wanna get to Canada quickly,” I told him and he nodded.

“Sure thing put on the headset. It’s so I can talk to you without the other listening in, helps a lot,” he pointed to the black leather headphones which I squished over my head and I glanced in the back. Youngbae and Jiyong were brushing off, looking pissed that I had come on board and was a friend of the pilot. Chaerin and Dara stayed silent but I should say thank you to them later. I twisted back into my seat, making myself comfortable. How long is the ride?

“About 10 hours going my speed,” Tae Il answered without looking in my direction. I smirked.

“That’s damn cool!” I chuckled and he nodded.

“Very, I helped Tablo invent it a few years ago,” he said. The kid doesn’t even wanna brag about it? I like that, humble. Something that I’m not, it’s refreshing.

“Smart! Judging by the Special D.A’s, we need someone smart,” I sighed and he laughed, causing the others to look confused and stare at us oddly. “It’s nothing,” I smiled innocently which made them tense. Whenever I acted innocent they get scared. “They should be scared!”

“I would,” Tae Il honestly said.

“Good.”

We flew in silence, the helicopter slightly humming as it worked. Tae Il and I hadn’t spoken to each other in a while, I didn’t want to talk while the others were awake. Even if we could have a silent conversation I wanted to wait until it was dark. As the clock ticked to nine the others had fallen asleep, not from exhaustion we haven’t done anything, I think they passed out from boredom. “Seunghyun?”

“Hm?”

“What’s Bom like?” I bit my lips. It was a fine question to ask, he was curious since he was new. This time, unlike others, I wanted to talk about Bom.

“She’s a “she-Demon”,” he chuckled. “She’s like a Demon; I think that’s why we bonk heads. We’re too much alike that we end up being different. Whatever one of us thinks we immediately find reasons to agree with the opposite so we stay different. Most of the time we fought; sometimes we didn’t talk to each other that often. But then, there were those rare times that you just wanna bottle up and preserve forever,” I sighed, seeing Tae Il nod in agreement. Those feelings and memories are meant to be saved, I wish it was possible. Like in Harry Potter, I want to be able to save important details. “Those were the days; I really didn’t think how much I depended on our arguments until she was kidnapped. The guys are right, I’ve become much more violent and aggressive and angry just all the time now. I feel that Bom was the reason for me to be around. With her gone, I have two main things on my mind: one, I need to get her back more than anything. It’s gonna be my goal for a while. But two, I really wasn’t enough to do my job,” Tae Il glanced in my direction, taken aback.

“What are you talking about? The Instructors even told us, Demons who are two generations younger, that you were the best Demon in decades! You made your year, like, the year!” he insisted. I snorted.

“I lost my touch, my mental health has gone weak and my mind doesn’t think under pressurizing situations anymore. My ability to obey orders has crippled, I’m arrogant. My temper has shortened by miles; I used to be a forbearer. I’m not sure about my defense skills yet but I’m sure it’s not as solid as it used to be. All I am is brawns and blue hair,” I told him. He shook his head and clicked his tongue, disapproving.

“You think all of those have gone down in ruins when really you’re an idol,” I frowned. “Let me finish, all us Demons were trained and “raised” to obey everything we were taught. At about the fifth or sixth year we get our hands on weapons but we barely spend as much time on those that Demons want. You’re lucky, Seunghyun, a Demon’s true nature is violence. Heck, even I want to kill some Catastrophics nowadays! But I can’t because that would be disobeying orders; you can because you don’t give a damn about orders! The rest of us want that ability! To not care what the Devil wants! The rest of us are scared, even other people in your year are scared,” he shifted his eyes to Youngbae who was sitting upright while sleeping; Dara was resting her head on his shoulder as the same with Jiyong and Chaerin. Youngbae was one of the guys who was better at obeying than the rest, he used to be reserved back in the training years but after being appointed with a higher status he thought that “whatever I learned these kids gotta learn”. He’s like that Asian grandpa who keeps talking about the countryside when he was a kid, except younger and better looking. “But you’re not scared. You want what you want at that moment when everyone else sits and waits. You don’t give a flying about anyone who says “no” to you, you go all-in or none at all,” Tae Il finally summed. This guy knew what to say, he knows how to make people feel better. I smiled and this time it was genuine and warm, not a joker or silly one I usually give.

“Thanks, you kisser.” Okay, maybe I am just too damn funny to be serious. “No really, thanks.” Never mind! 

 

A/N: Yes I put in some counselor Taeil in there! I feel like he's underappreciated in Block B (who came out with a new song today!) so I chose him as the pilot. I'm not sure if he's really smart or like this in real life, but hopefully he is...