Chapter 15

Working Overtime

So far I'm on schedule! Yay!! :D I'd like to say thank you to my new four subscribers: Leszel_VIP, Elmoheartz, iminkki, and B2stFan3! I can't believe I have 31 subscribers on this story, thanks a bunch you guys! Saranghae! <3 <3

 

~~~~

 

I took a little nap on the way to Canada, I’ve always been so tired I guess I take naps all the time and my body clock is still in order. When we arrived the air was slightly foggy and gray, I could still see the lush green trees and et cetera but beyond twenty feet became visually difficult. It was also really dark out, probably because it was at night now. “I’ll be back tomorrow; if you’re not done by then I’ll stay behind,” I kind of wanted Tae Il to stay, it would make me feel less alienated. I grabbed my bag and exited the helicopter first waiting for the other four. Soon, when they hopped off, the helicopter began spinning its blades again and lifting off the ground. I gazed at the air, watching as he left and waved. I already miss the kid.

Tae Il pretty much landed us in the middle of nowhere so we first needed to find the body of water. I pulled out my map and began looking around to attempt to see where we were. I’m sure we’re not near any of the Great Lakes, or near Alaska. I think we’re somewhere close to the milieu of the Hudson Bay. I can see the spruce trees, hear the water. The Hudson Bay is salt though, not as salty as oceans but still salt. We need 100% freshwater, I’m sure we passed the North Atlantic Ocean and some land so I can cross off Newfoundland, Labrador, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. Not to mention we’re not near Alaska so no Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta, Northern Territories, or Saskatchewan. “Why are you leading us?” I heard Jiyong interrupt my train of thought causing me to pause and look back at him.

“Do any one of you have a map?” I wondered, pointing at all of them. No answer, silence. “Exactly,” I scoffed and turned back to my map. “We’re either in Ontario, Manitoba, or Nunavut. My guess is Manitoba because of the spruce trees which are around the Hudson Bay in Manitoba. That must mean we have to go to Cedar, Winnipeg, Winnipegosis, or Manitoba for fresh water,” I continued to mumble to myself directions. Lake Cedar or Lake Winnipeg is our best choice since we’re closer to the Hudson and it would be less of a travel. We can’t flash there because we’ve never been so traveling on foot is new.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Chaerin groaned loudly from behind, I only smirked at her ignorance.

“Naming off lakes to go to, now, we should head south,” I stooped to my knees and shouldered off my bag looking around for my compass. Bom always told me to never get lost; she gave it to me when we were on more friendly terms. Thank you Bommie. I silently whispered a thank you and pulled it out, reading the little arrow telling me which way to go. The others hesitantly followed. “I’m not so stupid am I?” I called making them halt.

“You heard that?” Youngbae gulped and I turned back. I looked at them calmly, Jiyong and Youngbae frozen while Dara and Chaerin were only staring stiffly.  

“Yes I did; now, I’ll beat your asses later. If you don’t wanna get lost hurry up and follow unless you want something stupid like a grizzly bear to stumble upon you,” I warned and continued in the right direction. They didn’t even think before following.

My feet didn’t take long to start aching, I guess I need to work on my lower body some more. Thinking of that I kept walking to improve my skills. I glanced back often to make sure the rest were keeping up but only barely. Once I turned around they weren’t there. I was reluctant to go back but I did only to find them just around the turn of a tree, panting and sitting. “Wussies, get up,” I ordered and leaned against a giant white spruce tree with my arms crossed.

“Hold on, we’ve been walking for, at least two hours. St-stop,” Dara breathed deeply and pressed her hands on her knees. I admit my throat was dry and I was burning for water but at least I could deal with it. I was trained not to show weakness, I guess the Devil’s boy gets spoiled, the Angels can’t handle it, and Youngbae just forgot everything.

“I’m not waiting for you guys, so fine,” I grumbled upsettingly and dropped my backpack onto the grass. The four also collapsed, breathing relief and sighing in exhaustion. I was still mad at them; anger was boiling in my veins actually. If they had gone on their own it would’ve taken a week to get the job done. “We’ll rest for an hour or so, then, we’re back arreso?” I asked them as I sat against the tree.

“Arreso,” they moaned in reply and I pulled out a granola bar, chomping on it eagerly. I needed sugar, sugar helps you and it energizes you to keep walking. As I chewed my granola, I watched as the other four talked and excluded me so easily. As if it was natural. I was the loner, the drifter and they were the jocks and the popular chicks. It felt that intimidating, to be in a high school again. I glanced down. Tae Il, get your back down here.

Within the hour, not even 60 minutes I picked them up and we started down again despite their protests. “No! I don’t wanna!” Jiyong complained like a baby, if he thought that was cute he’s being stupid! I took out my map again and began studying, part of me wanted to get to the water but I admit I also wanted to show them I knew what I was doing and that I’m even better than them. Look, they’re walking and talking while I’m reading a compass, a map, carrying my own bags, and telling them where to go! If anything they’re dead weight!

“Are we there yet?” Youngbae whined. Oh no! Not that game! I whipped around and sighed. That is something little kids say, don’t tell me that our current Defense Instructor is becoming a little kid!

“Nowhere near, now hurry up,” I told them and turned back to walk on.

“Don’t overexert! We shouldn’t either so let’s stop!” Jiyong told me, like he knew my body or anyone else’s.

“You know nothing about building a body Jiyong look at yourself! I’ll tell you when we hit the peak and where to stop!” I yelled at them. It was true; the guy’s scrawny as a stick! I ignored their yelling and continued, if they didn’t want to get lost they should still follow.

I looked up towards the sky, the morning was finally settling in. I think it gets brighter earlier than in Korea. The sun wasn’t out yet but it was still a dark blue and lavender, it wasn’t very bright but it was a soothing color blend. The moon was still out too, it was the one thing that gave me light since I refused to stop and pull out my flashlight. I turned behind me and found the four of them trampling all of their own feet. They seemed tired, fatigued and I was just about the same. I sighed, I guess they’re right it’s been about two to three hours since our last break. “Fine, we’ll rest now. Sleep,” I told them and they all scrambled to get their bags. I pulled out my roll slowly and slipped inside of it, finally taking out my flashlight to engross myself in the map once more.

“Seunghyun,” I looked up. Jiyong and Youngbae were passed out on the grass but Chaerin and Dara were sitting up and staring at me intently. As if they cared about me, but I almost forget my promise to myself.

“Thank you,” I sighed to them. As I continued to read my map they didn’t say anything else. They might’ve been shocked or confused, I didn’t really care. I didn’t want to talk anyways.

While I hear my fellow explorers’ snores I took a break from reading. I rolled up the map into my backpack and put my flashlight away. My eyes had this burning sensation, my eyes felt heavy and droopy. I couldn’t handle staying up much longer. Still, I took a moment to stare at the sun as it peaked over the horizon. The rich orange color had always calmed me down, sometimes Bom and I would sit on our roof and watch the sun either rise or set while trying to stay above the ground. It was a calm time, before our really bad arguments we used to do that every weekend. I miss you Bom…as soon as I felt a wet tear along my cheek I furiously wiped my eyes. No tears, no more. I took a deep breath and smiled slightly. I don’t know why but I did, I liked and disliked reminiscing. It brought good memories back but it provoked one of my only soft spots. I blinked my eyes. Is it morning where you are Bom? I tried to blink once more, but my eyes stayed closed.

I didn’t sleep long; I had nearly forgotten another promise made to myself. The four were all sleeping; Chaerin and Dara were sleeping soundly while Youngbae and Jiyong were sprawled over each other. A good position to be in from what I was gonna do. I stumbled as I walked over to them, I felt like a drunkard. I fell on top of the two other guys, waking them up with a startle. “I’m only brawn huh?! At least I can do something you bastards!” I shouted and hooked Jiyong in the jaw, making him snore again. I looked towards Youngbae who was hurrying and trying to get up. Dara and Chaerin were awake too, after I had yelled.

“Seunghyun what the hell?! It’s like four in the morning!” Chaerin scolded, pulling at my shoulders with Dara. Their little hands wouldn’t work. I jumped up and shoved Youngbae against another tree with the force to shake it loose.

“I thought you were a friend of mine, but no. I guess you’re just another jock who thinks they can say and do anything without consequences!” I screamed in his face, making him even paler than he normally was.

“Wh-what are you talking about jocks?” he stuttered, his face unchanging.

“You know, you abuse power. Se7en gave you a rank, and you take advantage of that rank,” I told him, causing Chaerin and Dara to stop shaking me. It was true, Youngbae is okay but when it comes to the ability to push someone around he was all over it. Being an Instructor gave him the power to pull rank over the trainees.

“L-like you don’t do that,” he insisted, I smirked at him evilly.

“At least I have a reason for it, you Instructors and heirs are all the same. You think you’re so good because you were chosen to be an Instructor when really you create someone better without realizing it. The Demons out in the field are the ones chosen to be sent and protect, the ones that have the real guts to do it. Your girlfriends might say I’m wrong, but deep down inside, you gotta admit that you and Jiyong both aren’t fit for your place,” I snarled. Youngbae looked sick in the stomach, being beaten like this was hard. I’ve been beaten before by Demons just like him, he deserves it just like this. He seemed depressed now, good. I shoved him towards the passed out Devil heir which made them both groan.

“Seunghyun! You’re being paranoid!” Dara screamed at me, popping my eardrums. I turned to face the Angels, ironically no sense of purity around them.

“You’re being ignorant, blinded by the sense of admiration you think they’re both perfect beyond compare,” I gestured to the two messes of bodies on the ground. “When really they’re worse than average. When you see a brave hero going on a quest to get the fuel for a piece of unknown technology I see two morons in their early years following someone who’s actually capable to read human works! When you see them becoming exhausted after a long trek I see a duo of fully grown men who can’t handle a walk in the park! When you see the crazy blue haired maniac screaming at you to get your heads straight, I can only think of Bom who caused this. So you better make your boyfriends shut up because their lives aren’t bad, mine is. They are only weaklings who can’t grasp anything; you guys might’ve defended me the other day but when it comes to overall you look towards Jiyong and Youngbae,” I towered over them, standing over five inches taller and smirked. They only stared at me; I know I hit the target. Before Tablo became a douche he taught me how the mind worked and I use it to be a prick. I know I’m kind of an . I scoffed and walked over to Youngbae who wasn’t out yet. I raised my fist when my gut twitched. Something’s out here. Dara and Chaerin looked to the right, where we had been planning to walk. They sense it too. I dropped Youngbae on top of Jiyong’s chest and opened up my bag, pulling out my multiple knives.

“Drop it!” that scratchy voice of all the species members, it sent chills across me making my fury spark even more so. I chucked one of my knives hearing a shattered cry and the growling of at least three others. 

“ OFF CATASTROPHIC ES!”