The Rest of the Mission

Working Overtime

This was a pretty big chapter, sorry (again..) if it seems rushed! Thank you victorialow for subscribing to my story!! :) I'll try not to let all of you down!! 

 

~~~~

 

Oh ! I didn’t expect to see Catastrophics right now; I really am stupid for knocking out two of the fighters I needed. When Youngbae won’t lose consciousness he loses it when I drop him?! We could’ve outnumbered them! Oh my ing God! “Stay back I’ll do it in the dark,” I told Chaerin and Dara.

“What?! We can’t let you fight alone!” Chaerin insisted, looking at me like I was some crazed bastard.

“That’s not what I meant, Jiyong and Youngbae are out stay here and make sure they aren’t being taken advantage of,” I sighed and ran into the trees alone with glistening knives in between my fingers. I carefully stepped through, the tension grasping my stomach and the anxiety causing a tattoo to beat through my ears. I liked the feeling, it gave me a rush. I’ve probably said that a bunch of times but I do like the adrenalin! I paid close attention to where my feet went and the speed I was going. I had already struck one but I was unaware if it was dead or not. With my eyes darting across the slightly lit wood I froze for a moment when I saw a familiar ugly body running towards me. Snapping out of my trance I charged for it, slipping a dagger into a more comfortable grasp and slid it into the heart on impact. The feeling of killing a Catastrophic, it’s incredible. To have power against someone feels good right? Being able to take the life of someone who has taken a half of your own life away, it feels even better. The corpse collapsed onto the ground, sprawled awkwardly, and I looked around for another. After the first kill, the energy just pumps in every pulsing body part: your chest, your ears, your wrists, your stomach, your feet, thing like that. The beat just incites me! With a new rasping cry coming my way I whipped around and flicked two knives in its direction. One landing in his head, the other in his stomach. Really?! Not the right of the chest?! I groaned at my inaccuracy but the one in his skull did the job. I dislodged the knives from both bodies, thinking of the last two. I injured one, not sure where, but I injured him. The one who’s strong will most likely attack my friends whereas the one who is slightly injured will come after me. Thinking that I turned around and headed back to camp with a slight rush in my legs.

As I trudged back to the resting area I felt even more cautious. It had suddenly become quiet, no shouting or rustling footsteps. It was dead silent. I picked up my pace a little bit, when I heard a raspy battle cry I full on sprinted. ! I swear to God I will kick some if they hurt anyone! I might not particularly like any of my fellow members but no one hurts them but me. That’s my job and no one messes with Seunghyun! The light had changed from azure to a rusty shade of orange, a tinge of red in the mix. It increased the length of my shadow making me look even more menacing as I ran. “Guys!” I automatically shouted.

“Seunghyun!” the voice was close, but it wasn’t anyone who slept over during the night. I grinned and kept running, stopping in my tracks to see the dark haired kitten-faced Yukwon with a spear twisting around his fingers coolly and two bleeding bodies on the ground.

I walked over to the fifth year and patted his back. “Hey Yukwon, where’s Tae?” I asked and he stuck his spear in between his leather belt and denim jeans. It’s not like I wasn’t glad to see the guy, I was just hoping to continue my conversation with Tae Il.

“Tae Il had some business, I’m not as good of a pilot but at least I can drive it right?” he chuckled, his eyes getting smaller and his kitten-like charm coming through.

“True, we’re almost at the lake,” I told him and saw Dara and Chaerin tending to Jiyong and Youngbae who were now up and groaning. Of course. Yukwon looked back and scoffed.

“Like that when I got here too, not even the realizing four eyes looking at them,” he muttered. I nodded disappointedly.

“Nice job by the way, you just got your hands on some weapons and look at you,” I complimented.

“Not as great as you,” he shrugged.

“No one can be,” I joked and he chuckled. I strode over to Jiyong and Youngbae, both staring at me with embarrassment and self-consciousness. “Have a nice nap?” I wondered and Yukwon handed me my bag which I shouldered on. Jiyong rubbed the back of his hand against his lip, it was probably numb.

“You’ve got nerve,” Jiyong grumbled and stood.

“You’re lucky Yukwon came by and saved your asses, what a disgrace! Can’t even look after yourselves, too love struck to even think with an average brain we were created with,” I couldn’t look at them in the eyes. I’m not being disrespectful to Yukwon or any other lower year, but having the less experienced protect the Special D.A’s is just plain sad. “Hurry up, our mission’s almost over,” I added and walked off towards the lake with Yukwon, not waiting for the others to catch up.

I was surprised Yukwon came in only a black tank and jeans, usually Demons are rarely seen out of their uniforms if they’re not assigned to an Angel. “I was in a rush, they didn’t seem to care,” Yukwon smirked. It’s always nice to be out of uniform, the shirts hug us a bit too tightly and I don’t like the pants. I was glad that I was chosen to be with Bom. I took off my jacket and shoved it into my bag, also leaving me in a black tank top.

“Don’t get used to it, you still have five more years,” I reminded him and he nodded.

“Not looking forward to it,” he admitted and I smiled.

“No one is but a good life and partnership take sacrifice, there are no easy way outs,” I told him. He paused for a moment, glancing at the ground and even staring at the rising sun.

“But you gave up a lot,” he said and I chewed on my bottom lip. I did give up a lot to be with Bom, but obviously it hadn’t been enough.

“I lack a lot of things, I slack off now. I need to get back into shape in order to get Bom back, that’s what these next five years are gonna be like,” I sighed as we dragged our feet. I looked back, seeing the other four as colorful dots gradually coming closer to us. “But it seems that I’m not the only one who slacks, but the only one who wants to get back into shape,” I said causing Yukwon to laugh again.

“You can’t blame them, love is blind,” he said to me. Not for me, my love is driven in the normal direction.

“If love was blind I’d see hundreds of people just stumbling around like drunks,” I muttered.

“It was an expression,” Yukwon reminded. I rolled my eyes. I know, Yukwon…

After fighting off four Catastrophics I felt tense for the rest of the walk, waiting for another beast to jump out and attack. Yukwon was great company knowing he was able to use his weapon efficiently and could have fun doing it. In a way he was kind of like me, I just hope he doesn’t exclude his friends. Those guys are tight! The stiffness stayed in my gut until we finally reached the sprinkling lake, I think it was Lake Winnipeg. I heard thunderous footsteps behind Yukwon and I, knowing this was the rest of our band. “We should stay here!” Youngbae suggested brightly. What?! Are you ing with me?!

“We’re on a deadline, the copter is waiting,” Yukwon kindly reminded, if I had done it a string of curses would’ve followed. It’s good he said that quickly.

“But another hour or two wouldn’t hurt right?” Dara batted her eyelashes at the fifth year, making me sick. I don’t know who she likes anymore!

“It would, fill up your containers and let’s head back,” I spat at them, they immediately obliged without a murmur for once. Good they know who’s in charge now! We then filled up the bottles and containers with fresh water in silence, a very tense and awkward silence. A slight bumping sound would be made by one of the couples or a whisper everyone could hear was created, might as well speak in your normal voice then!

Once all of the bottles, containers, and canisters were filled to the brim with fresh water and shut tightly Yukwon led the way to the helicopter through the green brush. “It didn’t take long to find you guys, perhaps fifteen minutes or so? I was lucky,” He smirked as he pushed away the branches and kicked up the leaves.

“Ne, we walked a pretty long way away from our drop off point,” I said and Yukwon nodded in agreement.

“So that was it? We’re done?” Chaerin sighed disappointedly. I’m glad it’s over; we’re closer to saving Bom by getting this fuel.

“No we’re done,” I muttered.

“Just shut up Seunghyun, you might think you’re so good but really you’re just a big douche bag,” Jiyong said. I don’t think I’m “so good” I know I’m better than you but I definitely wasn’t as great as when I was younger. Yukwon slung an arm around my neck; making me chuckle and I did the same to him.

“We’ve got your back, Hyung,” Yukwon smiled kindly, his face sweet and innocent for the first time this entire walk. It must’ve been the afternoon now with the sun blazing at its peak heat. The skies were light blue and clouds blotted in various shapes and sizes. It was calm now, I was able to ignore the cockiness of the others and relax a little. I imagined it was just Yukwon and I, taking a little stroll in the forest. No one else, no distractions, no worries. Man that would be hella nice! “There’s a fine line between being loose and being careless, it’s okay if they’ve crossed the line. They’ll eventually get back on track after you all save Bom,” he patted my chest; I realized the guy was almost as tall as me. He probably had a few more inches to go to surpass me. I wish I was still growing.

“You mean after we save Bom, you guys are coming too,” I reminded him, remembering what Hoyoung had said previously. Yukwon brightened again, I’m sure him and his friends all had talent the others didn’t have; they were needed and needed desperately. I’m losing faith in my fellow classmen; I thought we were supposed to be better.

“Don’t sweat about it too much, Hyung. We’ll get there, and if anything they’re the douche bags,” he muttered making me laugh.

We slugged for another few hours, talking to each other and listening in on the trenchant comments of the others. I don’t get how ignorant they are, I know how they think that only proves I’m not stupid! But why can’t they get how I think? Won’t they just step inside my shoes and take a walk before judging me and calling me a douchebag? Can’t they see I plainly have anger issues and not provoke me? Can’t they tell I’m in a sour mood and most likely going to be for the next five years? I’m an emotional rollercoaster right now; they should know I’m not in a state to be mocked in. They are so ignorant it just pisses me off! Tablo obviously didn’t do great in teaching them and the Angels in Heaven are having lower and lower standards! Giving them an okay to be in love! I suddenly looked up and paused in my tracks having Yukwon look at me. The thought only came now, it totally passed my mind. I turned. I have some blackmail now. “Yukwon, do they give you phones now?” I asked him and he nodded, pulling out an iPhone. “I need to use it really quick. Come on!” I whispered and we sped off into the trees, away from the group.

“What is it?” Yukwon whispered softly as we hid behind a bush. I poked the phone out a little, putting it on the camera setting. Damn this thing has great quality! I need one of these…

“Rule Number 1 is being violated,” I chuckled darkly and Yukwon widened his eyes in realization. Don’t fall in love… I clicked the red button on the phone screen, taking numerous photos of the couples hugging and smiling and kissing cheeks. It disgusted me but I stayed glued, getting the footage/evidence.

“W-would that mean Tae Il and I are witnesses?” if this ever went to the Se7en and the Council then we would need witnesses besides the prosecutor (which would most likely be me). I nodded to him. Being a witness is scary , the prosecutor and the defendant are fighting for your input in their desire. If you choose one way or the other, whether it’s truth or not, you’re gonna be hated by the defendant for a while. I glanced at Yukwon, the fear lost in his eyes. He shrugged. “I guess they already hate me,” he sighed and I gave back the phone once the four were close.

“Don’t lose it, I could use that to my advantage,” I said and he nodded, pocketing the phone in his back pocket.

“I’m gonna add a pass code,” he said and then looked up. “Actually, you should,” he handed me the phone. If I chose the code people would never guess it, they would think whatever Yukwon would put. Not if I put in anything. I didn’t want to go with the obvious, so I chose the one place that changed my life. The one place I would stand in five years, looking into the sky. Seoul, South Korea.

After returning to our normal route and ignoring questions from the four we arrived at the helicopter, sliding into our seats. Of course I sat in the passenger seat and Yukwon and I put on the headphones. “Make sure the water is secure, no poking your head out the side unless you wanna get pushed,” Yukwon warned them, making me smile a little. He flipped the switches, pressed buttons I really wanted to press, and spoke into a little radio in a hushed tone. “Base, a.k.a Hell,” he informed me through the headphones. He placed his hands on the joystick and pulled upward, causing the helicopter to push off the ground. I could hear the blades rushing on top, making me feel dizzy trying to imagine how fast they were going. Once we were flying the nonstop chatter erupted, making it difficult to think about anything. But I knew that once we got back, Se7en, Tablo, Hoyoung, and the rest of the Instructors would be pounding me into the ground.

I’ve never really had a great ability to obey orders or commands when they were against my opinion. Thus I got into trouble a lot of times back when I was a trainee. It won’t really be that surprising to the Instructors but I’m just nervous they’ll take away my ability to train more or worse, not let me go on the mission to save Bom. That’ll kill me; I’ll go on a rampage. I’ll kill things or people until they let me go, I’ll be a life hazard.  “No kidding, you’d be running through rocks with flame in your eyes.” Oh right, Yukwon can hear me.

“What if they do take away that privilege?” I wondered.

“Well, you’re willing to take any other punishment aren’t you?” Yukwon asked as he steered, making little funny faces of concentration that made me smile a little.

“Ne! Even that week without food or water or contact!” I admitted. It was true; I wanted anything but being excluded from the mission. After evaluating this mission, I can’t trust anyone to bring Bom back or even come back! It’s obviously my job to lead them even if Jiyong will most likely be positioned as the leader; I have to lead them because I’m the one that really wants Bom back! They can wait another year, maybe two. Me? I can’t wait. If I could I would go to Ceres right now!

“I get it, if you want something done you do it. You get too nervous or anxious when others do it,” Yukwon nodded and I nodded.

“Someone who gets me,” I sighed and he smiled slightly. I glanced to the back, the chatting dying down a little. They were still awake and talking but quieter. “Let’s see what they’re talking about for a minute.” Then I stopped thinking, I only listened.

“I hate those headphones, I can’t hear anything they’re saying and it gets me curious,” Jiyong grumbled upsettingly. I smirked and Yukwon did the same as if we were communicating.

“It’s that kid’s fault, he built it,” Youngbae accused. Tae Il made a great piece of equipment! So shut up you ! Yukwon laughed a little, trying to hold it in with his hand over his mouth.

“I agree…” Yukwon said.

“Anyway, I see where you guys are going with this. But Seunghyun does seem more knowledgeable than the last time we saw him,” Chaerin whispered making me grin in triumph. Hell yeah I am!

“Don’t say that out loud! He’ll think he’s superior!” Jiyong hissed at her. Too late!

“Is it really wrong though? To be honest, we all have been slacking off. Seunghyun just wants Bom back.”

“Dara, he insulted you!” Youngbae reminded her.

“He has a reason to! We’re breaking Rule Number 1; we’re getting way too caught up with this when alone. We’re gonna get exposed! Seunghyun already figured it out!” Dara explained making Jiyong immediately pipe up.

“He doesn’t have any evidence to bring it to court unless one of the Council members or Dad saw it, we’re okay,” he shrugged.

“But we do have evidence,” Yukwon thought into my head making me nod and we high fived.

“Thanks to you,” I said aloud causing the others to look.

“No, it was you,” Yukwon insisted and slid off his headphones. “Go to sleep, I drank a few energy drinks before I came so I’m pumped!” he told me and I rested the headphones on my lap. I slid in my seat and closed my eyes, feeling the fatigue cover my muscles and my limbs. Just wait, they’ll give you some terrible punishment when you get back.