Chapter 12

Working Overtime

I feel like jumping right into the story today, I don't know I seem so pumped today! :DD Like the energizer bunny!

 

~~~~

 

Inside of the cave the colors of the wall and floor were olive green like in a human shooting range. The two steel/plastic barriers blocked our path forcing us to stop while a pair of headphones, black plastic safety glasses, and a single handgun was placed on the little table connected to the barrier. “Alright, put on the glasses first,” Hoyoung instructed and we both slipped on the frames. My vision darkened slightly but I still looked towards Hoyoung. “Then the headphones,” he continued and pressed the big ear muffs against his head. I also placed them on. “NOW PICK UP YOUR GUN!” he shouted even if it wasn’t deafening. I managed to obey without flinching. “WATCH ME!” he ordered at the same intense volume and pulled the trigger at least half a dozen times sending booms in the tiny room. I gazed towards his target and saw there were all in the yellow circle or a bull’s eye. “I GOT SOME PRACTICE WHILE YOU WERE CONFINED DURING THE PAST WEEK!”

“INSTRUCTOR!” I interrupted. “You know you’re being a bit too loud? My ears are gonna pop,” I winced and he chuckled.

“Sorry!” he said at a slightly softer volume. “Alright, now shoot,” he pointed at my target. What?

“Uh, just…shoot?” I repeated and he nodded.

“Shoot once!” he said again and I turned towards the target. Alright…how did he do it again?  I placed my hands in a position; you know where you make two guns with your fingers and put them together? That’s what I did to grasp the gun. I took aim with my right eye and settled the gun where I had expected it to fire into the bull’s eye and pulled the trigger.

What Hoyoung hadn’t told me was that the modern weapon had a backfire. And not only was I flung backward, my hands were set in a spot where the gun wasn’t stable and it slapped me square in my forehead! I groaned as my head stung in dull pain. Not as fun as I thought it would be. I was lying on the cold rocky floor, glad that my head didn’t split open. “Why? Did you make me do that?” I moaned and felt his strong grip take my hand.

“Because you never learn unless you know the consequences, I realized that a while ago. You were right in making the gun shape but you only use one hand, the other goes around the right hand near the wrist like so,” I stood up and wobbled over to Hoyoung and saw how to properly hold the gun. His grip has always been firm, which was a plus to being Hoyoung. His eyes were steady as he gazed down. He fired multiple more times, my headphones muffling the noise, and the pro didn’t budge. “Try it again,” I pressed my hand against my back where I had bonked it and moaned as I stepped over to the panel. I copied my instructor’s movements although my grip wasn’t as tight. My nervousness caused me to be a bit shaky so when I blasted the weapon I had to move my foot back so I wouldn’t fall and the bullet was in the outer blue line. I sighed in disappointment but Hoyoung nodded. “Not bad for a beginner, usually Demons don’t get it until a while after. It’s not our nature to know how to shoot a gun,” he said and removed his gear so I did too.

“It didn’t feel right, but, it didn’t feel alien,” I almost flinched at my use of words.

“Either way it was cool wasn’t it?” he grinned and I couldn’t help but laugh. It was true; I think firing the gun sent a wave of energy through my veins, something that I really needed.

“Oh yeah! Exciting!” I nodded and he led me out of the cave.

“Alright, so, it doesn’t hurt to practice with the gun. But for now just use the pistol in there, don’t touch the other ones until I think you’re ready to move up,” he reminded me. Dammit!

I didn’t know where he was leading me at first but within a minute or so I grinned. We were walking back to the combat arena where there were the weapons I had trained with for years. He probably wanted to see how I was doing with the standard weapons still. I snatched a curved scythe on our way into the arena which was shaped as the more stable and refined Coliseum. It had all of the stone rows were sometimes the other Demons could sit and cheer at battles like maniacs. The floor was thinly layered with sand and dust flew everywhere as a few people were sparing. Above the door was a V.I.P box which is usually occupied by Hoyoung, Se7en, Tablo, and the other instructors sit to watch. I ran over into the battle immediately surprising the three fifth years who dodged with wide eyes. “Don’t dodge! Fight back!” Hoyoung shouted and they glanced at each other hesitating. One brave guy, who had blonde hair spiked up in the front and a playful grin, ran at me with two knives in his hands. I blocked off his quick swipes and tried to knock the knives out but he had a strong grip! His other friend, an innocent looking red-head, laughed and jogged up next to his friend joining the fight with a spear that had a curved blade at the end. “Seunghyun!” I glanced over and saw Hoyoung with another sword and tossed it to me. I pushed back the two and caught the sword with my left hand.

“Not fair, Instructor!” the blonde one called as I swung at both of them causing them to jump and kick up dust.

“There are three of you! Jihoon get in there!” Hoyoung pointed to the last kid brushing up his orange hair and smiling even with his smaller eyes, he was just watching in excitement. He scrambled up from the sand and hopped over as I was finally able to topple over the blonde haired guy. I used one sword to collide with the red-head’s spear and the other was fighting off with the one called Jihoon. I kicked off the red head so he stumbled next to the blonde and I was alone with Jihoon. I skillfully cut at him but instead of trying to parry he just jumped back. “Hold up, hold up!” Hoyoung jumped in front of us and stopped the battle.

“It was getting good!” the red head frowned and crossed his arms.

“Before you injure one another, Seunghyun this is Jihoon, Jiho, and Yukwon. They’re actually kind of important…” Hoyoung whispered and I looked at the trio. They suddenly shifted uncomfortably and bit lips and took deep breaths.

“B-Bomb, the Catastrophic you saw,” I stiffened at the dream. “He used the soul of a human friend of ours, Minhyuk,” the one named Yukwon gently wiped his eyes. I never knew they were allowed up on Earth as fifth years…and that red head Yukwon is pretty emotional…

“How did you manage that?” I wondered and they looked amongst each other.

“Snuck out…kind of,” Jiho scratched his nape and I rolled my eyes. Of course.

“I’m sorry, I know how it is to lose a friend,” I muttered, thinking about Bom. 

“Bom’s a friend?” Jihoon chuckled and I grinned slightly. Even if he was right it was kind of funny.

“We were thinking of adding them, Tae Il, Kyung, and Jae Hyo to the Special D.A’s.,” Hoyoung suggested and I nodded.

“I think they should go, the more the merrier. But it depends how ready they are, and it’s not up to me it’s up to Se7en,” I added. They seemed fit, good looking too so maybe they could fit in with the Catastrophics as decoys.

“It would be great to join you and the others on the mission, the instructors are always saying we should go out on missions to get rid of our energy,” Jiho chuckled and I followed. These guys didn’t seem all that bad, and, I need people to trust. I feel myself waning all the time, I like to have people close to me.

“I like you guys,” I decided. 

 

A/N: I included the rest of the Block B members: Jiho/Zico (leader, composer, & main rapper), Yukwon/U-Kwon (vocalist & lead dancer), Jihoon/P.O (rapper & maknae), Tae Il/Taeil (main vocalist), Kyung (lead rapper & composer), and finally Jae Hyo/Jaehyo (lead vocalist & visual)