Second Chapter

A Twisted Fairytale

It was a new weeks once again, and that meant school. It wasn’t like I despised school or something like that. But sometimes it was rather boring, especially since I was a senior and people were always talking about what they were going to do once they finished high school. I could never say anything when people asked me, because I simply didn’t know what I wanted to, I had absolutely no dreams that I wanted to come true.

“Doram.” I turned around and came face to face with Yonghyun, who planted a featherless kiss on my lips before I felt his arms sneaking around my waist, pulling me closer to the warmth of his body. I buried my head in his chest and breathed in, only to hastily pull away and wriggle my nose. “I think you shouldn’t be around your mother that much, your clothes is like drenched in her perfume.” I laughed a little as I gently pushed myself away from him. He stank, seriously too much woman’s perfume.

He let a finger run along my cheek before he slid his hand into mine as the bell rang. Hand in hand we walked towards our homeroom. Yonghyun and I got together a few months after we started school in our sophomore year. So we’ve been together for quite a while.

Students greeted us as we passed by. This is truly the life of a kingka and queenka. Everyone wants to be you, to get all the attention. It was rather nice; people would give me all kinds of stuff just so they could hang out with me. Some would give me really expensive clothes and jewelries, once I even got a new luxurious car. Though, I sold it and took the money instead. Why would I need to two cars? Feels kind of unnecessary, at least for me, especially since I barely use the car I have right now.

“Class, let’s begin.” The English teacher started off with handing out a bunch of papers. I quickly glanced down at them before I shifted my attention to the window and the life outside. I wonder how life as a bird was; could you just fly away from your problems and hope that you were free? I was abruptly cut out of my thoughts when I heard something hard smash against something equally as hard.

I turned my head around and saw that everyone was staring at me. I parted my lips and asked the teacher if something was wrong. “Yes, you’re not listening, that’s what’s wrong.” He half yelled at me. Ugh, sometimes I hated this school, the teachers and the students. Why did they take life so seriously?

You need to have some fun in life as well. Not just work, work, work and study, study, study. It wasn’t healthy at all. “Sorry.” I apologized, though I didn’t feel sorry or apologetic, more annoyed actually. I glanced to my right after that the teacher continued with what he’d just went through, Yonghyun was eagerly listening and writing down everything he was saying. I sighed. Sometimes Yonghyun could be equally as boring as everyone else.

To be honest, I pitied him sometimes. How his parents were pushing him around and demanding that he would get the best grades and be the one on top. He couldn’t come second, only first was good enough for his parents. Luckily, my father weren’t as harsh. Of course he still wanted me to study and do well in school, but he never forced me to study.

After an hour or two the bell finally rang and the students quietly gathered their things together before they left. I were bored, utterly bored, I wanted to do something fun, something exciting. I dashed out of there and searched for Seo Won. She was always up when I wanted to do something.

“Doram, annyeong.” I showed the girl a small smile before I pushed myself past, so many students, and so many people in the way. I groaned quietly as I slid open the door to Seo Won’s homeroom. Numerous of eyes meet mine and I awkwardly let out a low laugh, her lesson had apparently not ended. I bit my lip and shut the door before I heard a high laugh from the other side, it was Seo Won.

I waited a few minutes before the door finally opened once again; Seo Won was the first one to dash outside. Immediately I grabbed her arm and pulled her closer towards me. “Girlfriend, let’s have some fun.” I tugged on her hand and started to drag her along towards the staircase that led to the roof, “Doram, slow down.” Seo Won cracked a laugh and I turned to smile at her.

Once there I leaned against the railing, feeling the warm air brush against my skin and hair. I breathed in deep before I let the air sip out through my nose. My hands left the railing as I stood up on the edge. I stretched my arms to the side, titanic style before I loudly yelled out ‘I want to be free’. I wanted to be free as a bird.

“Doram, look here.” I slightly turned my head to the side at Seo Won’s words; she was holding onto something, I couldn’t see what it was due to the fact that the sun was shining straight into my eyes. I jumped down and walked up to her, only then did I notice what it was; a package of cigarettes. “Where did you get that?” I asked amazed.

“Friend.” She beamed before she unwrapped the plastic and pulled out a cigarette. I shifted my gaze around to see if someone was looking. I most definitely didn’t want to be sent to the principal for smoking in school. “Come on.” She waved the package in front of my face and I hesitantly pulled one out. To be honest, I’d never tried to smoke before so this felt rather uncomfortable.

I watched as she lit her and then held out the flame for me to light mine. I coughed immediately after drawing in a smoke. Seo Won’s laughter met my ears and I blushed. I wonder what she’s thinking. I let the cigarette meet my lips once again, though this time it was better, still the taste was awful. This was definitely not something I was going to do again.

My fear turned into reality when I wide-eyed stared at the door and saw one of the teachers standing there. She didn’t look all too happy about what she was seeing. I let go of the cigarette and saw it fall to the ground before I gently stomped on it, “you two, principal now.” She roared at us. I cursed under my breath as I gave Seo Won a seriously-is-this-happening look. The girl only shrugged her shoulders before I felt her hand grabbing mine. At least I weren’t in this alone.

We laughed at the teacher as we passed her by, something that only made her furious. Though it was fun, and that was the only thing that mattered, especially since I would meet hell when I came home. I didn’t even want to think about what my stepmother from hell was going to yell at me, not to mention the ugly stare Soo Ni would give me. I shivered at the thought of them.

Why couldn’t they just move out?