Eighteenth Chapter

A Twisted Fairytale

I was finally going to meet up with Seo Won. It was over a week ago since I last saw her and I missed her dearly. She might not understand how much I actually love her, but she was my best friend and I wouldn’t trade her away for anything.

We’d decided to meet up at my absolute favorite place; the ice cream shop. For me, that place was filled with memories from my childhood when my mother still was alive. She would take me here every once in a while to buy ice cream. Ever since then this have been my secret hideout place. Ice cream truly worked wonders if you were depressed or if you simply wanted to occupy yourself with something else than your bothering thoughts or maybe that was just me.

“Doram.” Seo Won’s happy singsong voice made me smile as I looked up on her approaching self. I watched the girl placing herself down on the chair in front of me as I stuffed a spoon full with ice cream inside my mouth. “How are you?” she asked as she leaned her petite frame over the table before grabbing the spoon I had in my hand. I were a bit shocked over it because I knew for a fact that Seo Won despised ice cream or any kind of sweets for that matter, so why the sudden change?

“Good I guess, I miss you and Yonghyun though, you?” I stated as I watched Seo Won scoop another spoon filled with ice cream before stuffing it inside . “I miss you to, I wished that everything didn’t have to get like this.” she murmured low and I gave her a weak smile. I didn’t want this to happen either. But right now, it was not something I could do anything about, unfortunately.

“But let’s stop talk about the sad things; at least we can still see each other. So how are the boys at your school? I know you said that they were jackasses and such, but I don’t know, have you changed your mind about that?” she asked with such curiousness and interest that I let out a low chuckle, always thinking about boys.

“A few of them are pretty nice.” And those ‘few’ people were only MyungSoo and Sungjong. “But then there’s one, he’s a complete jackass and I hate him.” and that person was Hoya. I didn’t really know in which group I would place Sung Yeol and Woohyun yet. It wasn’t like they had done anything in particular, except for Sung Yeol’s damn kiss, “so –.” Seo Won began and it didn’t take a genius to understand what she was going to ask.

“No, I don’t think anyone is hot or handsome.” I stated and it was almost as if I believed it myself, even though I knew it was a lie, because they were all in some way or another hot or handsome, but that, I would never admit.

I looked away as Seo Won narrowed her eyes at me. “You’re totally lying.” She laughed as she pointed at me. My cheeks had become suddenly a lot warmer and that could never be good. “Am not.” I retorted back, confidence filling out ever word. The down part of having to known each other for so long was that Seo Won knew exactly when I was lying or not.

“I know when you’re lying so there’s no idea in ever trying.” She stuck out her tongue at me playfully and I rolled my eyes. Still, it didn’t matter at all what I thought about them because I still had Yonghyun. “Well, it doesn’t matter because I have Yonghyun.” I tried to end the discussion about the whole talk about Hoya and the rest. It wasn’t like I cared if they had girlfriends or slept around like playboys, it was there life and their choice.

“Right.” a smirk was playing on her lips and I told her to shut up, there was no idea in even trying to get anything more out of me. “I guess you could have some fun with them.” I pointed out to her as a smile lit up on my lips. I could literally see Woohyun, Sung Yeol and Hoya throwing themselves at her, I knew MyungSoo would never do that, I don’t know why though. Not Sungjong either, I think at least.

“Doram, they are poor.” She stated with such seriousness that my smile fell instantly and my heart painfully pumped faster. I wanted to say something back but I couldn’t, because I knew I would’ve said the exact same thing a month ago. But right now, after everything I’ve seen and been through, the previous thoughts of being poor had shattered. It wasn’t completely like I’d imagined it to be. But there was one thing that constantly was troubling me, something that would never leave my mind.

It was that all seven of them came from broken homes. I couldn’t imagine of the rest of them had it when MyungSoo was living in a complete hell. It made me a bit terrified to think about someone having it even worse than him.

“Doram?” I snapped out of my thoughts as I looked up at her, she was staring at me weirdly. “Sorry, just lot on my mind.” I weekly smiled at her as I let out a sigh. I truly didn’t want to think about it, but the more I actually did, the more my heart hurt. “You care about them don’t you?” Seo Won’s voice had softened and she stared at me with this look, it was as if she pitied me. But she was right, I did care. Maybe more than I actually wanted.

“It’s quite funny, a month ago I wouldn’t even let myself get near people like them, and now I spend hours together with them each and every day.” I let out a pathetic scoff. Because that’s exactly how I felt, pathetic. When I had money and attended Daewon, I was surrounded by over class people all the time. People actually saw me and acknowledged me at that time. But now, when I’m poor and attend Goyang no one does, except for them. I’d never gotten a call from anyone at Daewon saying that they missed me or anything like that after I became poor, because no one there wanted to be around someone like me.

“Are you ashamed to be around me?” I don’t know why I asked Seo Won that kind of question, maybe it was because I were curious. “What? Why would you think so?” she almost yelled at me and I jumped in my seat at her sudden outburst. My eyes had widened in surprise as I looked at her. “I’m poor.” I simply stated and I felt a bit uneasy when she glared at me. I couldn’t really understand what was happening, just that something was wrong.

“So what if you’re poor.” Her tone was still loud and I uncomfortably shifted in my seat. Something was definitely up; Seo Won would never work herself up like that if something wasn’t wrong. But there was something inside me that stopped me from asking her.

There was a minute of complete silence between the two of us, I didn’t know what to say and she obviously didn’t either. I decided to break the awkward silence by asking her if she had a boyfriend or anyone that she was interested in. “Not really.” She was staring down on the melted ice cream when she spoke.

“Great, then I’m going to introduce you to someone.” I devilish smiled inside my head when her head snapped upwards so that she was looking straight at me. “Huh, who?” she asked with such enormous interest that I chuckled. “Not going to tell. Friday, get dressed in street style and come to my house, I’ll give you my address.” I brought out a piece of paper and a pen from my schoolbag before I scribbled down my address and then placed it in front of Seo Won. “I think you’re going to like them.” I bit my lip in order to not smile like a fool.