Twentythird Chapter

A Twisted Fairytale

The doorbell was ringing and I tilted my head to the side confused. Practically no one knew about where I lived, except for like, Seo Won, Hoya, MyungSoo and Sungjong. Crap that was more people than I first thought. Hesitantly I pulled the door handle down before opening. I stared at the boy standing outside, his left cheek was bruised and a bang of guilt swept over me. Sungjong’s brother had truly kept his word about beating him.

“Noona.” His voice was weak, fragile as his gaze darted around the room. I didn’t know how hurt he’d got so instead of grabbing his hand I told him to get inside. I guided him inside the living room and I slumped down next to him on the couch. My eyes scanned his face, there was only that bruise visibly, but then again, how much wasn’t hiding beneath that shirt. A sigh rolled of my tongue as I remembered the words I’d told him. That I was going to protect him. Noticeably that didn’t work out exactly as I wanted.

“Sungjong, can I see?” I grabbed the hem of his shirt, not knowing how much damage that Sungjong was hiding away from his hyungs. The boy nodded once and I carefully pulled the shirt over his head, my eyes widening at what I saw. His whole back was filled with new and old bruises; it even looked like someone had burnt him with a cigarette. His chest didn’t look any better, if possible, only worse.

How long have he been copying with all this?

I had to fight back tears as I stared at him. He might look carefree and innocent on the outside, but he’s been through more than I ever have. I didn’t even know what to do in situations like this. “Noona, can I sleep here tonight?” his voice was pleading and I didn’t even have to think twice before telling him yes. I was most definitely not going to let him go home today.

“Wait here, I’m going to get you a shirt that doesn’t press against the bruises.” I stood up and just as I was about to head up the stairs Sungjong asked me if we could have a slumber party. I giggled at his question, how cute could he get. “Sure why not.” A smile lit up in my lips as I proceeded upstairs. I wonder if dad is going to notice that some of his clothes mystically have disappeared once he comes home.

After grabbing a shirt I darted downstairs again. He looked revealed over the fact that he wouldn’t have to wear his shirt. “I’m going to take a shower, there’s food in the refrigerator, just take what you want.” I explained to him. It was past dinnertime so he had to be hungry. He gave me a smile and I headed inside the bathroom downstairs. My pajama was already inside there since I was precisely about to take a shower when Sungjong knocked on the door.

As I was standing inside the shower it came up to me how much I actually cared for Sungjong, he was like the little brother I never got. And the one who actually got him as a little brother didn’t even appreciate it. I would gladly trade Soo Ni for Sungjong, without a doubt.

There was a loud noise coming from outside the bathroom, which caused me to blink my eyes confused. What was Sungjong doing, tearing the house down? “Sungjong, what are you doing?” I yelled at him, hoping that he would hear. But when no reply came I understood that he hadn’t heard it.

I turned off the water and stepped out of the shower as I wrapped a towel around my waist. I listened more carefully to what was happening outside only to wriggle my eyebrows as I thought that it had gotten a lot noisier. I shook my head as I smiled; it seemed as if Sungjong was having fun at least. After grabbing the hairdryer from the shelf I began fixing my hair. I weren’t too fond of walking around with wet hair that stuck onto my forehead and shoulders. Once done with that I put on my underwear before slipping into a pair of pink hotpants and finishing with a white tank top on my upper body.

I smiled at my reflection in the mirror before unlocking the bathroom door and stepping outside, though I came to an abrupt stop after seeing Sung Yeol standing there. “What the –.” I mouthed out as Sung Yeol cheekily smiled at me. I my heel before darting inside the living room. “Sungjo –.” I gawked when I saw that it was not only Sungjong present, but Hoya, Woohyun and MyungSoo as well.

“Looking good.” Woohyun blurted as he winked at me. My eyes twitched slightly as I remembered what I was wearing, I was almost half . I turned my fully attention to Sungjong, or that’s what I thought I did until my gaze moved over to Hoya and my heart did that thing again. I awkwardly looked away after that he had caught me staring at him. “Sungjong when I agreed on the slumber party I thought you meant only the two of us.” I nearly cried.

“Why was Sungjong the only one invited?” Woohyun bawled and I rolled my eyes at him. Of course there was a reason to why I he was the only one ‘invited’. “Because he needs to get away from his own house.” I spoke straightforward, Sungjong shifted uneasily in the couch. I knew why, because he didn’t want them to know, he didn’t want them to worry. My eyes wandered back to the guys, Sung Yeol had now joined them and I could see the confusion written on their faces.

I walked over to Sungjong and pulled him up on his feet’s. I took a deep breath as I grabbed the hem of the shirt Sungjong was wearing before I inched it over his head, and thus revealing every bruise he had on his upper body. There was a moment of complete utter silence and I could see how Sungjong’s body tensed when MyungSoo ran his finger along the younger boys back.

“Who did this?” MyungSoo’s voice had taken a new tone and I flinched slightly at the hardness in it, but Sungjong kept his mouth sealed. “Sungjong ah, it’s better if they know.” I pursued him to tell them, it was better that way. The other guys would be able to help him out if they only knew what was going on.

I watched how Sungjong heaved a sigh. “My older brother did this.” the room fell into silence again, only to be broken when Hoya stomped towards the door, muttering that he was going to kill the guy. Panic rose within me and I darted after him, I caught up with him right outside the house. “Hoya stop, you can’t just go and kill someone. Don’t you understand that you’re going to sink down to his level if you do that, plus its Sungjong’s brother we’re talking about.” But it was true; if he killed the guy he was no better than him.

“Why do you even care about what I do?” he had turned around so that he was facing me and I found myself getting lost in his eyes. “I can’t?” I questioned him with a somewhat hurt expression. I might not show it, but I do care about them, all of them. Right, I had to agree that they were pretty annoying sometimes, but even I were that. “No.” I was stunned at the harshness in his voice and I watched how he disappeared down the street.

It was no point in trying to run after him, he wouldn’t listen to me anyway. With a sad heart I headed inside again. All the guys were now crowded around Sungjong, inspecting the bruises he had. “Where’s Hoya?” I blankly stared at Woohyun as I told him that he left. Woohyun then gave me a look of something I couldn’t put my finger on; it was almost as if he felt sorry for me. Apparently I’m not the only crazy person here; Woohyun is too, especially since he’s persistent about me liking Hoya.

Even if the guy was the last person on earth I would never fall for him.