Ninth Chapter

A Twisted Fairytale

”Where are we moving? Overseas, to a better house?” I wondered; my mind was going totally wild upon all the possibilities. But what about Yonghyun and Seo Won, I couldn’t leave them here. “No, we’re moving to the eastern parts of Seoul.” I gaped and my eyes widened in pure fear, no, not there. I’m not going to be a part of the poorest parts of Seoul, never. It felt as if the whole world came crashing down.

My eyes were pleading as I stared into my father’s eyes. Those tears of mine were making their way back. I couldn’t believe this. Why was this happening now? Sobs coming from my step mother only made me angrier. She was the one spending huge amounts of money on worthless things.

“There are problems with the company, but I’m trying to fix it. But we need all the money we can get and therefore we need to sell the house.” My father’s words blurred in my head as all those words I’d said to Hoya came floating back. I was going to be just as poor as them now. My eyes shut close and I shook my head, unable to take this in.

This was just a dream, a totally messed up dream that would end as soon as I opened my eyes again. It didn’t. I bit my lip hard as I looked up, my eyes boring into my father’s. “I can’t move; I don’t want to be poor.” I cried like a baby. What about school, about all the things I own. Thousands of questions popped up in my head.

“I’m sorry, but it’s already settled. The movers are coming here soon and then we’ll go to our new place.” My dad explained. How could something like this even happen, why did I – dad have to suffer even more. Wasn’t my mother’s death already enough.

I couldn’t take it, standing there and listening to how my world was collapsing. I hurried up to my room and slung my door shut before locking it. I was never going to move out of here. Not today, not tomorrow. I buried my face in my pillow; streams of tears were making their way down as I tried to muffle my sobs.

There was a light knock on my bedroom door, but I let it be. “Doram, can I talk to you.” how much I wanted to just sink through the ground and never get up. I felt so pathetic right now. I cringed at the thought of Hoya and the rest of them laughing at me. They were going to make fun of me if they ever saw me there. If they saw that I’d moved there. No, I’d rather kill myself than move there, “Doram please.” His voice was begging. I hated when he used that, and he knew it.

I crawled off the bed and unlocked the door before heading back to it. I slumped down and drew my knees up to my chest as I watched him step inside. His whole face showed sadness. “Doram, I’m sorry that this happened. But I’m working on it, this is just a temporary solution, it’ll get better soon. I promise.” I heaved a sigh, my dad never lied and if he said that it would work out for the better, then I believed him. Still, I didn’t want to move.

“But I don’t want to move, I like it here.” I murmured out as I tried to keep myself composed, I didn’t want to start crying like a baby. It was hard, but it worked. “I know.” he bent forward and wrapped his arms around me. “What about school?” I wondered, my blood froze and I tensed completely when he told me that he’d fixed so that Soo Ni and I would transfer school to a new one called Goyang high school.

Now I really cried; I weren’t being able to see Yonghyun and Seo Won in school anymore either. And here I thought I at least would get to stay in Daewon. Wasn’t this a bit too much? First moving and now transferring school. “But dad, what about Yonghyun and Seo Won?” I pulled away as I wiped the fallen tears from my cheeks.

“It’s not like you won’t see them after school.” he explained and I frowned, still, it was not the same thing. I wouldn’t be in the same class as Yonghyun anymore I wouldn’t be able to spend the breaks together with Seo Won having fun. This was truly becoming hell. “Come on, your mother and sister is waiting downstairs.” A pang of anger flared within me. I hated that he called them that, they were not family and should not be treated like one either.

I murmured a low okay before slipping of the bed and fallowing after him down the staircase and into the living room again. They were sitting there, waiting for us. At least I was not the only one devastated about the news and that made my mood raise a few steps. As long as they suffered then I were beyond happy.

“Should we go?” reluctantly I fallowed after him to the awaiting car outside, the one that would take us to our new home. A place where I didn’t want to ever visit again, neither less live. The ride there was awkward and filled with complete silence. No one knew what to say. What the heck were you supposed to say in a situation like this?

I had no idea.

You easily noticed when you drove into the eastern parts of Seoul, the buildings turned into the worst I’d ever seen. People were wearing crazy pieces of clothes; some of them looked like they were hobos. This was not a place to live if you had small children. That was one thing for sure.

Suddenly and abruptly the car came to a stop and I glanced at dad, asking him if something was wrong and why we had stopped. “There’s our new home.” he pointed at the only somewhat decent looking house on the street. Still, I cringed. I wanted to go back; I didn’t want to live in that house. It was a poor man’s house. I couldn’t make myself open the door. It was as if I’d become totally paralyzed.

The three of them were already at the door of the house, I watched as they opened the door and stepped inside. I reached down in my pocket after my phone and hit the speed dial button to Seo Won. She was not going to believe this. How I – Hwang Doram had gone from rich to poor in the blink of a second. It was like some bad movie. Just that this wasn’t one of those like I’d hoped it to be.

I cursed as the peeps proceeded; she weren’t picking up the call. Seriously she couldn’t already have gone out clubbing. Weren’t it a tad too early for that? I shook my head disapprovingly as I slid down the phone into my pocket again before looking around, taking in the neighborhood where I was going to live.

My worst nightmare had suddenly become more real than I’d ever expected, I’ve suddenly become poor. I sighed as I stepped out of the car and headed up the porch.