It Only Takes a Second to Find Me

Writers Strike VST One shot collection

Writer: Carrie
Inspiration: skychorddai
Characters: Daine Amano, Daiki Arioka, Nicole Koshino, Keito Okamoto, and Jacob Blank

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Attention everyone! We have interrupted the last few minutes of class today to inform you that the school has finally decided on the theme for this year’s Valentine’s Day Dance. The theme will be “Honey, please enlighten my heart;” so start finding your dates. We want to see all of you at the dance, enjoying a blast with us next week! Have a good day!” the high school’s public announcer voiced over the system to the while school.

Hearing the bell ring to signal the end of the last class of the day, Diane and Nicole hurried out of class.  In her rush, Diane wasn’t able to catch herself in time before she took a tumble down the first step of the stairs.  Acting on her first instinct, Diane’s hand reached out for Nicole’s, bringing Nicole down with her.

Luckily for them both, Daiki and Keito were also hurrying to meet up with them, appearing at the bottom of the stairs at just the right time to catch them before they could land flat on their back.  Daiki caught Diane in his arms, relishing in the feather light weight of Diane before quickly releasing her.

Grinning, Daiki asked “I guess today’s challenge is who can be the first to come to each other’s rescue?”

Smiling right back at him playfully, Diane replied “I guess it is. One point for you?”

“That’s right. One more point to the winner.” Daiki teased.

Diane was ready with a retort, but Nicole’s and Keito’s voices penetrated her thoughts.

Still holding Nicole in his strong arms with muscles bulging, Keito told her, shaking his head “Please be careful. You nearly gave me a heart attack. I know that you have my heart already and it’s beating for you, but I don’t ever want it to ever stop beating.”  Nicole reddened under Keito’s heartfelt words, causing her to burrow deeper into his arms until she can look up into his eyes to say “See how hard I fall for you?”  At Nicole’s declaration, Keito’s chest expanded as he blushes a deep crimson.  Everyone became speechless at the emotional display.

In an attempt to divert attention from Keito, Nicole was the first to recover, jumping out of his arms to say “See I was the one to sweep you off your feet. Now Mr. and Mrs. Dai, if you two are done watching us profess our love for each other, maybe you should try to declare your affections toward each other too? Otherwise, can we leave?”

Sticking her tongue out with a wink, Nicole headed out towards the door.  After a few seconds passed for Nicole’s words to sink in, Daiki and Diane sped out of the school, bickering with Nicole about how they are never and will never be married to each other.  Keito followed them, shaking his head in bemusement.  Together, the four of them walked to their favorite snack shop and got their usual order before heading for home.  While Daiki and Diane led the group, Nicole and Keito trailed off in the back.

“Daiki?” Diane hesitantly questioned.

“Yes, Diane. What’s up? You're never were this hesitant before.” Daiki replied with concern interlaced into his words.

 “I think I know what the next challenge between us should be.” Diane broached.

“Okay. Give it your best shot!” Daiki goaded.

“Alright. I think our next challenge should be to see who can be the first to find a date for the Valentine’s Dance. What do you think? Are you up for the challenge?” Diane challenged.

Daiki’s face instantly darkened as he responded instantly “No.”

Since Diane was too embarrassed about asking the question to face Daiki, she didn’t notice the change in Daiki.  Without another thought, Diane assumed Daiki was just joking.  Taunting Daiki, Diane questioned “No? No, you are not ready for this challenge? That’s a first for you, Daiki. I thought that you’ll be ready for anything.”

“Apparently not for this.” Daiki murmured and took off for the house, wanting to slam the door without a single backward glance, but he resisted his urges with a calm facade.

Diane wanted to go after Daiki for an answer to his weird behavior, but even she didn’t know how to explain her own weird behavior.  Watching Daiki retreat into the house, Diane soon followed.  Oblivious to what’s happening around them, Nicole and Keito didn’t even realized that something had happened to their two best friends.  

Still holding hands and smiling lovely into each others eyes, they disappeared into the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, when Diane came out of her room, ready for school, she was surprised that Daiki was not up and ready waiting for her with his usual quirky smile.  Uncertainly, Diane waited for a few minutes before knocking on his door.  Hearing no response, Diane tried to turn the door knob, only to find that the door was locked.  With no other choice, Diane headed downstairs.

Keito and Nicole were already seated at the table with breakfast on the table.

“Did you guys see Daiki this morning?” Diane asked.

 Both heads turned at the sound of Diane’s voice to reply “No. Isn’t he in his room?”

 Diane shook her head, answering “I don’t know. He didn’t answer my knock and his room is locked.”

“Locked?” Keito and Nicole questioned, understanding that something big must have happened; for they all trusted each other to leave their rooms unlocked.

Diane nodded.

Lost in thought as what could possibly be going so wrong, they all ate their breakfast in silence before disappearing for class.  As the three walked into first period, they spotted Daiki.  Although they normally all sat together, they noticed that today Daiki had chosen a seat in the far back corner surrounded by a group of rowdy gangsters.  Seeing no other seats available near Daiki, Nicole, Keito, and Diane sat back in their original seats, in the very center of the class.

For the first time since they met, the four best friends were completely silent throughout the entire period, even the teacher’s lame jokes didn’t crack a smile on their faces.  At the end of class, Keito urged Nicole and Diane to go to their next class, while he waited to talk to Daiki.  Reluctantly the two girls walked off, stealing glances back at Daiki.  When Daiki tried to breeze past Keito, Keito wouldn’t stand for it, clapping his back.

“Where do you think you are going, ignoring your bro like that?” Keito asked.

“Class.” Daiki simply responded.

“Who do you think you are kidding?  I tell you all of my problems and you don’t tell me yours? Do you no longer think that we are two best friends who are closer than blood brothers?” Keito said, walking alongside Daiki to class.

“You know that’s not how it is like, Keito. The moment we met, we instantly knew that we are like the brother that each other never had; so don’t try to use that on me. I just got stuff to think about.” Daiki reasoned.

Relentlessly, Keito continued to investigate “What kind of stuff?  Whatever it is, it must be serious to get you to be so bothered that you’ll even lock your room.”

Although Daiki was slow to reveal what is actually bothering him, he soon burst under pressure, “It's serious, but I just don’t know why it is that serious. While you and Nicole were so enchanted by each other, Diane challenged me to see who can be the first to find a date for the Valentine’s Dance. Can you believe her? She thinks love is a game.”


“Wow. That is big. It would to be that girl or boy that is going to be you guys’ dates. I feel sorry for them.” Keito commented.

“Don’t worry about the girl. There won’t be one.” Daiki reassured Keito dryly.

“There won’t? You’re dropping out of the challenge? That’s not like you at all.” Keito questioned in shock.

“I know. But then Valentine’s Day is about spending time with a person who likes you, not having fun and hurting or getting hurt when the truth comes out that there are actually no feelings involved though the rules can be stated before the game begins. However, I still want to do it. I’ll feel like I’m breaking my principles if I do.”  Daiki explained.

Daiki’s explanation triggered Keito’s thinking as he mourned “Yeah, I get your point. I wish Nicole and I could have had more to build up on.”

Daiki took the opportunity to change the subject. “Still the same problem?”

“Yeah. She doesn’t get the idea that I’m the guy in the relationship and should be able to pay for our outings and spoil her with gifts. She just keeps trying to decide the events of the date for both us and ensuring me that we’ll split the price for everything. That’s not what I imagined, when I decided to get into a relationship with her.” Keito elaborated.  

Both sulked, lost in thought in their own problems as they headed toward class.  After school that day, Keito and Daiki were still in their grouchy moods; so that kept to themselves as they headed home together, not bothering to wait for the girls.  As Nicole and Diane stood waiting, Jacob approached the two.  
Standing right in front of Diane to get her attention, Jacob whipped out a dozen of pink and blue roses and shouted “Diane, will you be my Valentine date?” Diane’s cheeks immediately stained red.

Although her first reaction was to reject Jacob due to rumor of him being a gangster, Diane knew that in order to beat Daiki, she should accept.  Slowly but surely, Diane nodded her head, causing Nicole’s mouth to drop in a big ‘O,’ while Jacob enveloped Diane into a big bear hug.

Seeing that Diane and Nicole have already waited for more than a half hour for the guys, Jacob offered to give them a ride, speeding them home in his sleek red sports convertible.

Jacob gave Diane one last lingering hug and a peck on the cheek before going back to his car.

Inside the house, Nicole immediately spotted Keito, asking “Why didn’t you wait for us today? Is Daiki also home already?”

As if waking up from a trance, Keito replied sheepishly “What? Oh, I forgot. Sorry. And yes, Daiki is already home.”

Then not wanting to experience Nicole’s wrath, Keito turn to look at Diane, eying the flowers.

Curiously suspicious, Keito approached Diane to question “Oh, Diane. Who are those lovely flowers from?”  Daiki was just coming downstairs, when he heard Keito’s question.

Diane’s short, breathless reply of “Jacob” made Daiki’s hands curl in fists.  Enraged, Daiki stormed back up into his room.  This time, Daiki really did slam the door, jerking Diane back into reality.

Worried, Diane pestered Keito “Did Daiki tell you what is wrong?”

Not wanting to spill everything Daiki has told him in confidence, Keito just highlighted the main point that Daiki was mad at Diane.  Now that she has gotten confirmation that Daiki is really angry with her, Diane hurried up to his room and attempted to make peace, knocking on Daiki’s door to seek entry.  However, Daiki just ignored the knock until he couldn’t stand it anymore and opened the door with a flourish to bark out “Go away!”

In the meantime, Nicole fired at Keito “How dare you leave me all alone at the school!”

“I didn’t leave you all alone. You had Diane still. Besides, I already apologized and told you I forgot.” Keito returned.

“How can you forget me? I’m your girlfriend!” Nicole shouted.

“Well, it’s the same as how you can forget that I’m your boyfriend.” Keito calmly announced.

In an instant, Nicole burst “What are you talking about? I never forgot that you are my boyfriend!”

“You didn’t? It sure feels like I’m just a stranger instead of a boyfriend. Every time I try to do a little something special for you, you always have to ask me how much it is. Can I not surprise my girlfriend and give her something to cherish?” Keito rationalized.

“I am not like that! I just want to be fair to you.” Nicole denied.

“Well, I don’t need you to be fair to me in that way. You can be fair to me by giving me the chance to be a real boyfriend, taking you out and spoiling you.” Keito threw back.

Blinded by antagonism, Keito didn’t want to further harm their relationship and took the easy way out, surprised by the emotional level he has revealed.

That night, the house rested in a pregnant silence as each individual retired to their own room.  Nicole fumed in her own room, unwilling to believe that the first time since they have dated, Keito left her without bothering to consult her.

Keito can’t even dare to trust in his own audacity, but he enjoyed the power he felt in being able to be in charge of his own life.

Daiki paced in his room, bent up anger building inside him as he thought of Diane being with Jacob.

Diane tossed and turned all night, not sure about what exactly she has done wrong and how she’ll repair her relationship with Daiki.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite the sun shining bright and early the next day, the four best friends were miserable.

Diane tried to engage Daiki into a conversation, but he would not have anything to do with her, ignoring every single one of her attempts.

Although Daiki has warned Keito about spoiling Nicole, Keito still couldn’t stand to see Nicole mad at him; so he reached for her hands in silent truce.

However, Nicole was not ready for a truce, hurrying to school to avoid Keito’s presence.

For the very first time, each of the four best friends chose to sit in separate areas of the classrooms in complete silence.

When class ended, each walked home alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days passed with Daiki and Nicole still ignoring Diane and Keito, respectively.

Walking home late one night in the heavy rain, Keito thought about how much he missed Nicole despite how she has been treating him.

The next morning, Keito woke up the next morning from his fitful night of sleep with his head hurting as he began to sneeze like crazy.

Then his throat closed up, making it difficult to swallow.

Since her room was right next to Keito’s, Nicole heard Keito’s sick symptoms though she resisted the urge to go check on him.

After failed attempts to get up, Keito fell back into a sleepless nap, and groaning in pain.

When she was certain that he wouldn’t know if she went to check up on him, Nicole slipped into Keito’s room to feel his forehead.

The scorching heat made Nicole’s heart pound as she raced out into the rain to the nearest pharmacy and bought Tylenol.

Even though Keito hadn’t reacted to Nicole’s touch, he sensed her nearness; so when she returned to place the Tylenol, porridge, crackers, ginger ale, and water on his table, he reached out his hand to touch her wrist.

Gazing directly into her eyes, Keito joked “See how easily I fall into your care. I can’t take care of myself without you.”

Although a small smile was about to crack her face, Nicole still bit back the grin.  Nicole has not completely forgiven Keito, but she made the effort to care for him while he was sick.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane saw the way Nicole and Keito were interacting and brought it up to Daiki. “Daiki, see the way Nicole has broken the barrier and given Keito another chance. Can’t you tell me what is wrong; so that we can work toward fixing our relationship?”

Daiki was still outraged at Diane, particularly at the way Jacob was cuddling up to Diane on a daily basic; so he flat out rejected her with a “No, we can’t. We are not like Nicole and Keito. They are boyfriend and girlfriend, while we are just friends; so either we remain as friends or there is no longer any relationship between us. Since I can’t accept a friend that can treat such a special day as Valentine’s Day reserved to celebrate love so casually, I choose to let you go your merry way and me to enjoy my own life.”

Diane challenged Daiki, happy that she has finally broken his barrier to get an answer to his odd behavior “How do you know that Jacob and I won’t become more than just one date?”

“Because you don’t stray from the straight and narrow path and gangsters are a long way off the path you are used to or at least the Diane I knew was really obedient and a goody-good.” Daiki returned, getting ready to leave.

Short of begging, Diane didn’t know what else to do but issue Daiki a new challenge.

Having been a swimmer on the high school’s varsity team, Diane asked Daiki “How about we settle this with a challenge? If I beat you in completing one lap around the pool first, you have to talk to me again.”

Daiki nodded. “Okay. But if I win, then you must leave me alone for the rest of my life. Agreed?”

They shook hands and went in to emerge in their swimming suit or trunk.

Now that Keito is healthy again, he and Nicole served as the judges.

Keito’s shouted “On your mark, get set, go!”

Both Daiki and Diane climbed up on the diving board and dived down into the water, resurfacing.  Halfway across the pool, Diane acknowledged Nicole’s concerned cries and stopped, treading the water as she glanced back at Daiki slowly making progress across the pool, while Nicole and Keito urged him to climb out.  Instead of swimming to finish the race, Diane decided to swim toward Keito and Nicole to find out what’s wrong.

Immediately, Keito and Nicole rushed toward Diane and told her that from the climb up to the dive, Daiki had cut his foot.  However, instead of getting his foot checked out, Daiki insists on finishing the race.  As she finally comprehended the whole situation, Diane watched for another few seconds at Daiki swimming before making up her mind.

Though it broke her heart, Diane swam up to Daiki and treaded the waters as she told him “You don’t need to finish the challenge, I’ll leave you alone.”

Daiki refused to submit, knowing that he has to win fair and square.  Despite Diane’s persuasion, Daiki swam on until he reached the end of the competition.  While Keito and Nicole hurried to Daiki’s side to tend to his foot, Diane slipped into her room, crying herself to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So from that day on, Diane didn’t talk to Daiki at all.  Since Daiki’s foot required stitches, he had to use crutches to get around, attracting even more female interest.  Although Daiki got his fair share of invites to the dances, he turned every single girl down, choosing to stay home instead.

Even though Keito has not asked Nicole out to the Valentine’s Dance, he ensured that no one else dared to ask her.

Through Diane, Keito was able to check to make sure that Nicole was going to the dance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the day of the dance, Daiki brooded in the house, while Keito, Nicole, and Diane dressed up.  Keito left for the dance first, raising Nicole’s suspicions and jealousy but she didn’t give voice to them.  Seeing Nicole and Diane get into Jacob’s convertible, Daiki wanted to put a hole through the wall, but he restrained his hostility.  As Jacob’s car ground to a halt at the entrance of the hotel, someone opened the door for Nicole to reveal Keito kneeling on the red carpet leading into the dance.

Shocked into speechlessness, Nicole’s hand flew to .  Gazing into Nicole’s eyes, Keito declared “Nicole, you are the love of my life. The only one who can complete me. Please make me a happy man and agree to be my wife. Without you, I seize to be.”  From his pocket, Keito produced heart shaped pink amethyst ring nestled in a red velvet box.

With legs feeling like jelly, Nicole made her way to Keito, bending to whisper into his ears “Yes.”

Delighted beyond words, Keito slipped the ring onto Nicole’s ring finger before lifting her up to twirl her.

As Keito and Nicole were lost in their own world, Diane spent time with Jacob though she constantly found her thoughts straying to Daiki at home.

As it got later and later, Daiki had to find another way besides pacing the house to tame his fury.  Stomping to return the crutches, Daiki disappeared into various stores, not knowing what’s on sale before walking home.

Passing by the alley, he spotted a familiar red convertible and heard a female’s voice struggling against a man.  Without a moment’s notice, Daiki’s heart jumped into his throat.  Advancing steadily, Daiki jerked the guy back by his collar.  Diane’s tearful face and ripped clothing led Daiki to pound at Jacob without a single thought, aiming to ground him into pulp until Diane placed a soft hand on Daiki’s arm.  Daiki released Jacob unto the ground, yelling at him to scamper.

Tenderly, Daiki pulled Diane into his arms, enveloping her in a tight embrace.  Diane whimpered at the solid feel of Daiki’s muscles and the security it offered.  Releasing Diane, Daiki whipped off his sports jacket to cover Diane before resting his arms on her shoulders to steer her home.

Inside the house, Daiki led Diane into her room to leave her on her bed, but she refused to enter her room, where she will be all alone.  She held unto him for dear life, telegraphing her need for his security.  Diane’s hesitation in front of his room led Daiki to unlock the door and bring her into his room.

Settling down on his bed, Diane sat on his lap with their arms wrapped around each other.  Daiki broke his cold indifference towards Diane as he murmured soft soothing words into her ears while he rubbed her back, placing tender kisses in Diane’s hair.  Through the closeness, Daiki slowly relaxed, understanding that she is in his arms, unharmed.  The security of Daiki’s arms alleviated Diane’s melancholy and fear.

Hesitantly, Diane reached out to cup Daiki’s jaw, staring into his dark eyes.  At that instant, Diane knew that Daiki is her hero, her prince charming, and white knight in shining armor.  Tilting Daiki’s face down, Diane scooted up to place a kiss on his lips.

No further preamble was needed as they deepened the kiss.  Things heated up quick that Daiki had to rein in his control to ask Diane “Are you sure about this Diane? Are you sure you are not going to regret this?”

Diane didn’t even hesitate to answer “I’m sure, Daiki. You are the only one I ever want. I trust you completely with my life.”

Diane’s words shot right through Daiki’s heart, tugging at his rapidly expanding love for her.

French-kissing her, Daiki released her for a breath, declaring “I love you, Diane! I love you! I couldn’t stand you challenging me to finding a date for Valentine’s Day because I wanted to spend the day with you.”

Their gazes held as Diane kissed him before replying “I love you too. I don’t know what I would have done if you didn’t come to save me as you did earlier.”

Daiki used another kiss to silence her, saying “You don’t have to worry about that because I’ll be your white knight in shining armor.”

“Only my white knight in shining armor? You don’t want to be my prince charming and hero also?” Diane teased.

Daiki responded by tumbling her onto the bed and sealing with a promising kiss.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                       
If any details do not match what you have requested, I apologize for not being able to incorporate your ideas into this one shot and not giving it my best effort, but things have just been crazy. Anyway, I hope you still enjoy this one shot. If not, let me know and we can talk about how I can improve on it or you can request from someone else.